[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How does /tg/ feel about characters that are non combative/ contribute
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: Mechanickid_051.jpg (3 MB, 1465x2575) Image search: [Google]
Mechanickid_051.jpg
3 MB, 1465x2575
How does /tg/ feel about characters that are non combative/ contribute very little in combat situations?

Pic related. Playing a mechanic kid in my SW Edge game. Almost good enough to be the skeleton key, but any time there's a fire fight I pretty much run for cover and stay hidden.
>>
>>46062650

Boring and pointless in a combat-focused game. I usually let them die.
>>
>>46062650
If your group depends heavily on combat to make it through the campaign, it's a bad campaign
>>
Currently playing a Paramedic in a post-apoc game set in rural Pennsylvania shortly after a societal breakdown.
He started out with basically no combat skills, but he's been picking some stuff up from the Iraq veteran and the cop, at least enough to put rounds in the right direction for suppressing fire.
>>
It depends on the game of course. I'm mostly for it, even in games where combat is somewhat common. Never in games that are down-right combat focused, tho.
>>
>>46063202
>the only fun you're allowed to have is the kind I personally enjoy
>>
>>46062650

As long as your DM knows how to balance combat encounters properly, it's fine.

Thing is, a majority of players these days (I'd estimate between 60-75%) play games heavily focussed on combat, to the point where it's more like a lite skirmish wargame played against the DM, with a thin campaign system bolted on. Not all groups are like this but most are. In these circumstances you'll find yourself sitting around not doing a great deal, unless your DM is creative enough to include non-combat elements in combat. If that sounds like an oxymoron, what I mean is like having a non-combat character having to perform non-combat tasks while under fire, like trying to activate mothballed defence robots to assist in fighting off the invading alien gribblies.
>>
>>46062650
Had someone like this in a game. I personally got a kick out of it, but knew the DM had trouble accommodating them. Personally would make sure I work in some sort of combat utility if it were me - there's plenty of ways to make a mechanic not useless in a fight.
>>
>>46063387

Always always always have combat be about something other than "kill the other dudes". It's to protect the prince, it's to escape the facility where you stole the mcguffin, it's to deactivate the giant super science thing before it shatters the etherspace, whatever. Combat for combat's sake is not my cup of tea
>>
File: tumblr_locesvNIbq1qgjpfvo1_500.jpg (80 KB, 373x709) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_locesvNIbq1qgjpfvo1_500.jpg
80 KB, 373x709
>>46062650

A good GM can and should be able to roll with any kind of playstyle. He should also be able to make sure everyone's able to have fun as long as they've shown a willingness to play along with the theme of the game. In other words, he shouldn't be this guy: >>46063183

The players should know what they're getting into though. Not everyone who chooses a roll like Pilot or Engineer or Bard are aware of just what it means to not be meant to get into fights. It can get lonely when you suddenly realize you're playing Russian Roulette every time you decide to leave the Enterprise to go planetside.
>>
>>46062650
You should always find SOMETHING to do during combat, even if it's just to maintain suppressive fire, or command droids.
>>
>>46063183
This, it depends on the game

DnD/PF is like 75% combat rules, making a non combat character would be the same as making a sword fighter in CoC
>>
>>46064137
>always always always do x because y isn't my cup of tea

Opinion noted, and dismissed.
>>
>>46063248
Which part of Pennsylvania? I just moved there a few months ago. I was always considering doing a post-apocalyptic game based on upstate New York where I grew up, but never got around to it.
>>
>>46064642
We've kinda been traveling around a bit, but right now we're in Clarion county.
>>
>>46063183
>everyone needs to fight like brutes

What brain dead campaign do you run?
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.