[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Help solve a dispute for me /tg/ My buddy says that pic related's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: 28[1].jpg (67 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
28[1].jpg
67 KB, 312x445
Help solve a dispute for me /tg/
My buddy says that pic related's first ability cannot be stopped by protection from black because it says "you...target" and the "you", in this case him, is considered colorless.

I say that is bullshit, help me out /tg/
>>
>>46061831
Read as written, it sounds like hes right. However, I think it was intended otherwise and simply poorly elaborated.

So it depends on which flavour you prefer, RAW or RAI
>>
File: Image.jpg (30 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
Image.jpg
30 KB, 223x310
>>46061831
while i get where his logic is coming from look at other magic cards with a destroy effect for comparison.

the destroy effect is always in the hands of the player, in this case the card just specifies that 'you may' which is where your friend is basing his logic.
>>
>>46061831
The effect originates from the card, which is black. Pro black saves you.
>>
The ETB trigger is based on the creature, which is considered a black source. While you as the player can direct the effect, you don't have a color in terms of the game state, which is different from being colorless.
>>
>>46061831
Overseer of the Damned is destroying the creature. You choose whether it destroys and which creature it destroys, but it is doing the destroying.
>>
>>46061862
WotC are not GW, while flavor of both games might have gone downhill in similar manner, WotC is very consistent with their wording and RAW is always equal to RAI. (only exception being older cards, for those you should refer to updated wording on Gatherer)
>>
>>46061831
The only difference between 'you may destroy target creature' and 'destroy target creature' is that you can choose NOT to destroy a creature (for example, your opponent has no creatures, or killing your opponent's creatures is a bad idea for whatever reason).
It is still an ability from a black source, and thus is prevented by Protection from Black, as well as Protection from Demons.
>>
>>46062073
Clarification: that you can choose with 'you may' but not with just 'destroy target creature'
If you had a creature with 'When ~ enters the battlefield, destroy target creature', you would be REQUIRED to destroy a creature - if it was the only creature on the battlefield, it would destroy itself. The 'you may' prevents that from happening.
>>
>>46061831
Protection from [quality] means that the thing with protection cannot be damaged, attached, blocked, or targeted by anything with [quality] or any ability whose source has [quality]. The source of the triggered ability is Overseer of the Damned, which is black.
>>
>>46061831
Tell him that he acts like a nigger and thus considered black.
>>
Every damn day /tg amazes me with how dumb it's MtG questions can be
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.