[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>You write a setting. >suddenly notices that you have
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3
File: Crying-Frog-Meme-02.jpg (53 KB, 597x519) Image search: [Google]
Crying-Frog-Meme-02.jpg
53 KB, 597x519
>You write a setting.
>suddenly notices that you have a passage which don't make sense..
>Now the whole setting no longer makes sense and I can remove thousands of words.

I am a moron.
>>
Adapt, you dingus.
>>
>>46058749
>Crying-Frog-Meme-02.jpg
>I am a moron.
Yes.
>>
>>46058749

How much of the setting did you write? Because literally the only things you should concern yourself is thus;

>two paragraphs on cosmology
>list of deities or religions, include holy weapons and domains

>List of nations
>Three paragraphs per nation; one describing history, one describing culture, one describing geography
>List capitals, two noteworthy landmarks, three major regions, and at least three major NPCs per kingdom

>Write impetus for adventure and include it as the first page

There, that's all you need. Everything else will come out through roleplay!
>>
>>46058749
Yeah, frogposting and diminishing mental capabilities are confirmed to go hand in hand.
However, scientists are still unsure which one is the cause and which one is the consequence.
>>
>>46058946
My personal hypothesis is that it's a vicious cycle.
The frog posting reduces mental capacity, and the reduction in mental capacity induces frog posting.

Our prayers go out to the victims of this tragic plight.
>>
File: 12949022482.jpg (303 KB, 1600x1146) Image search: [Google]
12949022482.jpg
303 KB, 1600x1146
>>46058946
>>46059321
>I can't like stuff anymore because other people I dislike now like said stuff
>>
File: basic setting writing.png (35 KB, 722x276) Image search: [Google]
basic setting writing.png
35 KB, 722x276
>>46058896
Not OP, but I capped this and will use it as a guide in the future when I have to come up with something on short notice. Thanks.
>>
>>46058896
I have written.

>Why the world is a shithole
>The culture and history of nations.
>The landscapes.
>Description of the gods and its relations with mortals.
>The monsters, demons, etc.
>What purpose nations, gods, monsters, etc. have. (Like "nation A is for intrigues, nation b is for horror)

Majority I need to change.
>>
>>46058749
just slightly edit the one bit that dos'nt make sense. If it needs major reworking to fit add in some asshole trickster or manipulator screwing around.

If all else fails, leave what actually happened as ambiguous and multiple peopel have multiple conflicting opinions on what actually happened.
>>
>>46062657
>>46058749

Here's a trick for you:

LET IT NOT MAKE SENSE

If others point it out, smile and say you know and that it's an unexplained mystery. Tell them they might find out what's up as the game progresses.

In fact if you drop random hooks and hints as you play, often your players will come up with an explanation for you. Tell them "Good guess, you got a lot of that right" as if you'd planned it all along.
>>
>>46066053
This. It's really hard to make a giant world that makes complete sense and still have fun. Try to do your best on what you make a leave a lot blank to cater to your player needs when you want to. Always have enough to make the area they're in feel alive, though.
>>
>>46058896
Good guide, though I might call even that overkill for the START of a campaign. Improv is key to worldbuilding for actual gameplay so you don't build yourself a house of cards that comes crumbling down like what happened to >>46058749
>>46062657
>>
>>46059505
Poor snake
>>
>>46062657
What's the part that doesn't make sense?
>>
>>46058749
Craft an asspull/deus ex machina, it can work wonders
>>
>>46058896
I usually start with the impetus/plot hook and then build the setting backwards from there, it's just more efficient that way. If I already know that the story is gonna take place on an tribal island I don't need to go into detail about the convoluted noble schemes and inheritance politics of the mainland nations because it's not gonna be relevant.
>>
Why kid yourself? No one was gonna read all that shit anyway
>>
>>46058749
No-one will ever give a shit about your precious setting. Tell me a fucking story instead.
>>
>>46058896
Like most people you put emphasis on shit the average PC is not concerned or aware about (cosmology, holy weapons, domains, major npcs) and nothing about the stuff that normal people run on.
>Current political/social situation
>Way/quality of life of the average person in a region
>Important current events.
>Npcs in the immediate region.
>>
>>46058749
First off, you're an attentionwhore. Tell us what you wrote, don't make shitty posts about how you wrote "something" You're like people who put "I made a terrible mistake..." as their skype status and hope that people will ask them. Fuck you.

Second of all, what the hell did you write that invalidated your setting? Did you forget about gravity and then just read everything you wrote and go "right, this doesn't actually work" ?
>>
>>46062657
TELL US THE PASSAGE THAT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE AND WE WILL MAKE IT RIGHT WITH WRITE
>>
>>46070717
>>46071353
>>46071293

I thought I have already written the problem. Sorry.

>Did you forget about gravity and then just read everything you wrote and go "right, this doesn't actually work" ?

Something similar.
>The realm of the gods is destroyed.
>Demons and monsters start an invasion. against the world of the mortals.
>The surviving gods are too injured to help the mortal.
>Mortals are largely subjugated. They feel abandoned by the gods.

I forgot that the gods can still help indirectly. Give priests magic, holy warrior, etc. So the Mortals have a chance and have no reason to be angry against the gods. And that triggers a chain reaction.

Note: The setting is also written with the thought that the players also play gods.
>>
>>46072746
maybe do what diablo did

>gods get fucked up by demons
>demons invade the mortal world
>gods want to help, but panic sweeps over them as they have never lost so badly
>gods vote for it, and end up staying in their own world to rebuild so that they are ready for the demons
>even the gods that would want to give a blessing or two are forbidden from helping due to the draconian nature of godly laws
>mortals end up being the sacrificial lamb and will obviously resent the gods for it

remember that if this is for a tabletop rpg, no one is going to question that. gods don't necessarily have to be logical beings. they can be subject to laws and regulations that are insanely strict and stupid. greek gods were all stupid as fuck and people just thought "yep well that's zeus for you"
>>
>>46072746
>Realm of the gods is destroyed.
>Demons invade the human world.
>Humans plead with the gods to help them
>The gods don't want to get involved any further, they've suffered enough losses.
>One god doesn't like that idea and casts aside the majority of his power to help the people, becoming an outcast from the godly pantheon.
The priests can worship the exile, but the rest of humanity feels betrayed by the gods and don't trust him.
>>
>>46058749
stupid
dumb
frogposting
scum
>>
>>46070724
Or can make things worse.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.