[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Board game uses the same game mechanic as another board game
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
>Board game uses the same game mechanic as another board game

Isn't this plagiarism?
>>
>>46055305
Only if they copy the manual, famalam.
>>
>>46055305
It is legally impossible to copyright game mechanics. If they did, we'd have like, 5 games.
>>
>>46055305

No. Everything is either Checkers, Tic Tac Toe, or Candy Land at its base.
>>
>>46055305
>book is written in the same language as another book

Isn't this plagiarism?
>>
>>46055305
>Using greentext to indicate events.
PLAGIARISM!
>System uses dice.
PLAGIARISM!
>>
>>46056672
Pretty sure WotC owns the concept of tapping a card.
>>
>>46060755
Since many other games us the mechanic, I highly doubt it.
>>
>>46058027
As great musician once said - after you've read dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
>>
>>46060755
It owns the term 'tapping,' when tapping is used to describe turning a card sideways.

But WotC doesn't own the concept of turning a card sideways.
>>
>>46060755
I think they lost it recently.

>>46060778
It had to be called something else and couldn't involve turning the card sideways if you wanted to be 100% safe from WotC lawyers.
>>
Innovation is founded upon iteration and adaptation.
>>
>>46060778

Obviously, they can't copyright the process of rotating a card 90 degrees. However, they do have the copyright on the word "tap", when used in the context of a card game, if it refers to turning it 90 degrees. It's not really all that important, since the word "tap"doesn't actually have a similar meaning in common language.
>>
>>46055305

Only if you can show that you've copied their intellectual property and have done them damage. The burden of proof is high, since things like dice mechanics are pretty generic. Clones of board games and the like are common because of this.

But, if I take the entire 5th edition dungeons and dragons players handbook, rewrote the entire thing in my own words, then tried to market it, lawyers would have a pretty easy time. It's like how you can still be considered to have plagiarized on a college paper if you take a paragraph from your source, rewrite it, and fail to cite. Despite it being 'in your own words', you've still taken sufficiently from their ideas and benefited from it.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.