[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
WHY ?!
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3
File: ageofsigmar3.jpg (113 KB, 620x372) Image search: [Google]
ageofsigmar3.jpg
113 KB, 620x372
what was game workshop thinking whzn they did that shit??
>lets remove all the complex grey areas in each factions ect and lets replace it with generic blue good guys ultramarines vs red bad guys demons
>>
>>46054220
>Grown men who are our biggest demographic absolutely love fifth-grade-tier levels of conflict. Let's cut out literally everything a child -may- not understand, and Slaanesh because that's not PC.

Seems silly, but it's still selling.
>>
>>46054286
i..is this the reason they killed slaanesh..god end me please
>>
>>46054220
>what was game workshop thinking?

>space marines releases boost sales
>fantasy lacks space marines
>lets put space marines in fantasy

>bigger, more magical beasts and guys boost sales
>fantasy setting has lower magical elements
>lets make everything a magical realm

>more Ă©lite and less numerous forces are preferred over armies with too much of a model count which scare beginners
>WHFB pushes to buy numerous small and at times outdated sculpts to build an army
>lets scrap the army composition rules

>models with poor rules sell less than models with good rules
>there's imbalance in the the point costs
>lets scrap the point costs

>an advancing timeline narrated via supplements boosts sales
>the timeline of fantasy is stagnant before the apocalypse
>let the apocalypse happen

>an advancing timeline will see inevitably numerous deaths and a vast, unexplored world to be kept interesting
>the warhammer world has been defined and its characters can have mortal limitations of time
>lets make everything new, undefined, vague, limitless and respawning if needed

>old armies and models aren't updated and don't fit the overhauled setting
>the new designers don't know what to do with the old armies since you fired or don't make work the talented creatives
>lets scrap them, we can repurpose their concepts for new things later

>it will cost money and we don't know if it will pay out with the old fan base pissed
>lets run it on a lowered budget for fluff, art, rules and models; quantity over quality will eventually gain the attention of a new more profitable fan base: The even younger

>what about slaanesh then?
>make it mentioned but missing with hints to a potential focus for a campaign to keep the fan interested, then use the campaign to kill it, replace with an elf god of shadows and repurpose or scrap the miniatures accordingly

>also make new copyrightable names

>I don't care how stupid or silly

>just fuck things up
>>
>>46054724
dont forget also
>let's add stupid childish rules like "if you have a mustache , you can reroll dices"
>>
>>46054801
and
>let's replace our rule books by a 3 page pdf.
>>
>>46054286
>because that's not PC.

Please be bullshitting.
>>
>>46054724
None if this explains squatting tomb kings, they had good fluff, good aesthetics, aside from the generic skeletons good modles, and we're arguably the more interesting of the two undead factions
>>
>>46055132
They were, but they were ultimately still ancient Egyptians and lord knows that's not unique enough in the post-Chapterhouse hellscape of Dracolithiansâ„  and Skullgrindersâ„ .
>>
>>46055228
I actually don't mind the idea of riding lizards and dragon mounts, I just think the posing is bad, and again, if you make a fantasy setting completely non derivative, you are left with a bland void with nothing the audience can connect to

Trademarking is going to be the death of modern story telling
>>
File: 1403383792460.gif (2 MB, 373x270) Image search: [Google]
1403383792460.gif
2 MB, 373x270
>>46054220
>it with generic blue good guys ultramarines
They are more celestial lions and sanguinary guard you moron.
>>
For all the fluff changes at least the lizardmen are still kicking ass and looking good doing it, the TK squatting upsets me though as a ton of necron conversions have just died with them, best try amazon...
>>
>>46054724
This, quite frankly. This is the code to Age of Sigmar. This is the secret to understanding all of it. It was GW taking a look at their expectations of their customers, considering their stated target market, and looking at what does and doesn't sell, and giving everyone exactly what (they thought) they wanted. Kids and collectors are who they try to sell to. So they make simple rules and pitch any structure that might get in the way of kids smashing their armies together. They trademark everything so their models are more exclusive, because that seems like the kind of thing collectors would like. It just seems weird because the idea of GW being utterly incompetent and myopic is so ingrained. But this time, their logic was consistent. Possibly fallacious, but consistent.
>>
It's like we went, what, 8 months back in time!
>>
>>46055563
>incompetent and myopic

This has been GW's unwritten mission statement for @20yrs! But now, after decades of Reverse-Midas bungling, we're just supposed to believe that targeting pre-pubescents as the new demo for their $200 box sets TODAY means the company is born-again brilliant and finally using LOGIC?

Dude, take that thing out of your mouth and think about where your life is going.
>>
>>46055132
Tomb kings fall in-between "they are more tied to an older setting" and "what they do or can do we can instead produce for those other guys"

It was an uncaring decision supported by their data sales, without realizing those lesser sales were due to an unfair attention to the other undead in both updates and rules
>>
>>46054286
This.

My buddies wanted to try a game of GURPS and I suggested a sort of Mid-Fantasy game, but one of them said they hated low fantasy.

>It's boring.
>What's the point of only having humans.
>Have fun dying in the rank and file with your realistic combat.

People crave black and white and simplistic morals for entertainment. Shit sucks. I blame it on the internet.
>>
>People crave black and white and simplistic morals for entertainment. Shit sucks. I blame it on the internet.

By your own greentext, that doesn't seem to be why they didn't like it.
>>
>>46054220
This age of sigmar thing really seems like something I need to get pissed about, sorry I dont know anything about it, I still stuck in the good old days of WHFB.
>>
>>46054220

The only people that lost grey areas were elves and possibly undead.

Chaos and Order have always been black and white. You may not have liked some of the shit the Empire did but they weren't straight up doing Chaos torture rape pillage enslave destroy burn maim stuff, and don't even try to pretend Chaos is anything but pure evil.
>>
>>46064356
>don't even try to pretend Chaos is anything but pure evil.

Here we go again, another pleb who can't into relativism.
>>
>>46064413

If that's your copout then there is no such thing as good or evil or "shades" since none of it matters as it's purely relative.

The moment you discuss "shades" or "good and evil" you have already set a concrete scale of good on one side of the spectrum and evil on the other, and which acts constitute which end.
>>
>>46064413

Even Chaos consider themselves evil so you're a moron. We're not talking about Ogre Kingdom here.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.