[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Kickstarter
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4
File: kickstarter_logo02.png (24 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
kickstarter_logo02.png
24 KB, 640x400
I havent seen a kickstarter thread in a long time

Wich project are you backing ?
Wich delivery are you waiting for ?
What is you backer's best surprise?
What is your backer's remorse?

Currently awaiting fleet commander for nov 2016

Currently backig https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/modiphius/robert-e-howards-conan-roleplaying-game

regret shadow over brimstone
>>
Waiting for Glorantha: The Gods War. Should be coming in May.
>>
File: kult divinity lost cover.jpg (425 KB, 601x850) Image search: [Google]
kult divinity lost cover.jpg
425 KB, 601x850
Salary comes the 24th, and then I'm gonna back this;
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1037361623/kult-divinity-lost-horror-roleplaying-game-rpg
>>
I recently backed the big Sentinels of the Multiverse Kickstarter. I got the vidya recently and enjoyed it a lot, and the chance to get the complete physical game in a nice display box seemed cool.

I also went for Fabulous Beasts, a cute little hybrid physical/digital dexterity game, where balancing these statues on a base was reflected in an app by balancing an ecosystem. It's a cute idea.

Nothing going on at the moment, but I'm looking forward to the This War of Mine boardgame and the Unknown Armies 3e Kickstarter.
>>
>>46052235
>Which project are you backing?
At the moment I have no active pledges. Been getting pickier and pickier about the games I back, mostly cause I've been so busy lately and a lot of really good games in my collection haven't been getting the attention they deserve.

>Which delivery are you waiting for?
Millennium Blades should be here any week now. Cannot fucking wait for that game.

Also waiting on, in order of expected delivery... Simurgh, Project Elite, Scythe, Tiny Epic Western, Gloomhaven, Trove, and Corrupted Kingdoms, and all of the Cthulhu Wars expansions. So... I've been busy.

>What is you backer's best surprise?
I would have to say Assault on Doomrock. I was worried the game wouldn't be all that hot, but it turns out to be a real hit with my gaming groups.

>What is your backer's remorse?
BattleCON, not because it's bad (it's amazing), but because I never get to play it. My friends hate it. It is literally my favorite game, and yet all I can do is leaf through the cards on my lonesome.
>>
>>46058264

Man, Millennium Blades looks so good. Even if they're not all hits, I get at least one good laugh out of every cycle they reveal, and the actual mechanics sound really fun.
>>
>>46055918
Damn kult is coming back.
After missing 7th sea (kinda on purpose) i might go for it.

That conan rpg looks sweet as fuck.
The hoard pledge with every printed book for 2y is pretty massive..
>>
7th sea will be a flop.
>>
>>46052235
The pdf subscription for 2 years is a sweet deal. Thou i m not really foind of the tiles.
>>
Not in the loop, have /tg/ devs compromised themselves through crowdfunding nostalgia bait like vidya ones have?
>>
>>46058897
Concidering it raised more than 13m $ i doubt it ll flop.
Even if doesnt sell in store it will have reached it goal
>>
>>46058860
It's gonna run on PbtA, just FYI
>>
>>46059093
Unfortunately it is far too late for that anon. Some of the biggest grossing boardgame KS's are directly pandering to old shit. Sometimes, they even do it without ensuring they got the rights first.

Yeah, I'm looking at you, Up Front. What you gonna fucking do about it, bitch?
>>
Why do people pledge to Kickstarter?

You are giving money to the vague promise of a game, and if it fails you are lucky if you get your money back.

It is also quite common for them to ship out a disappointing product.

So what's the upside? Why not just wait til the game comes out, research it and make sure it's good, and THEN order the rulebook?

Or just do what I do and download PDFs once the actual game is released. No risk.

But whatever, please feel free to call me a poorfag and make fun of me, just because I don't donate to indie devs begging for money for projects that likely won't even come to fruition.

What the hell do they need the money for anyway? I wrote and published my own RPG, did my own interior design and art, and it sold decently on drivethru and make me about 200 bucks.

These companies are gambling your capital instead of their own. I hope you enjoy it.
>>
>>46060348

There are a lot of valid reasons.

For some projects, they just wouldn't exist without crowdfunding. The waters have been muddied by reboots and big developers dipping into the Kickstarter well, but there are still small, independent projects that wouldn't otherwise get funding that have created amazing products through Kickstarter.

Another reasons is that, generally, if you kickstart something you get it for cheap. The people who kickstarted the Oculus are laughing right now, they paid way below the retail value of the kit. A lot of traditional game kickstarters are similar, balancing the risk of the project failing against a pretty hefty discount.

Another thing, although one I tend to dislike, is kickstarter exclusive content. If it's just cosmetic it's fine, but when a game or project locks actual content behind a Kickstarter wall it just strikes me as total bullshit.

It's also sometimes a statement of faith. If people really love an idea or a genre, they'll put their money behind a project to show that support, in hope that through its success more projects will emulate it. Stuff like Divinity Original Sin and Pillars of Eternity (Regardless of what you personally think of them) have done a lot for a revival of PC CRPGs, which had been considered a dead genre before that.

All that being said? Not backing a kickstarter is a sensible choice. No matter how 'safe' a project might be, it's always a risk, and if you don't want to take that it's your call.

Personally? Kickstarter has worked out really well for me. I've had less than $100 of projects fail, and amongst those that have succeeded I've saved well over $100 on a variety of awesome, interesting games that I've had a lot of fun with, so for me it's a net positive, which is why I keep using the platform. It's just a matter of being careful and only spending big on projects you can trust.
>>
File: TNT.jpg (38 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
TNT.jpg
38 KB, 300x300
>>46060493
Im funding the "This is not a Test" Kickstarter for a hardcover book.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/57306923/this-is-not-a-test-post-apocalyptic-skimirsh-ruleb
>>
>>46060348
Personally, I don't back RPGs. I back board games exclusively. And the vast majority of board games I've backed have had their rules 95% finished at the time of the campaign and usually with PnP versions available and demo copies being sent to reviewers. This means that you aren't funding development, as the game itself is pretty much entirely done, you're funding production. And with board games that makes sense, because the factories that produce board games won't even touch orders under certain thresholds (typically 1,000 boxes I hear, with some factories wanting minimum orders of up to 5,000).

So right off the bat, you're funding a different thing with board games than with RPGs and video games. The game is done, and while there are risks the biggest one is that production hangs indefinitely or ends up being low quality. If the game you backed sucks then frankly that's your own fault for not doing the research, or worse, backing a game that wasn't cooked enough when they went to KS.

As for me personally, you're right that many of the games will still go to retail anyways, I like to think of backing a game as a vote of confidence. When I see something that is really amazing, and it all checks out, then I've got no problem backing it. It has to really wow me, and I have to be confident in the company publishing it, but I find it enjoyable to reward companies that take risks and make completely off the wall games. Shit like Millennium Blades, which is like YugiOh: The Show: The Board Game, and Trove, where every single player has completely different asymmetrical rules (and one player gets to be the cave!) are what I'm talking about, just not Enormous Pile Of Mediocre Miniatures: The Excuse-To-Move-Plastic Board Game.
>>
File: box2.png (2 MB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
box2.png
2 MB, 1000x1000
>>46052235
>Wich project are you backing ?
Widower's Wood. Loved The Undercity, so this is a no-brainer. Plus I can start a small blindwater army with the minis in the box.

>Wich delivery are you waiting for ?
Sword & Sorcery and the TMNT game. I mostly play euros, but I love this kind of games that engage you with a story and let you have some mindless fun throwing a bunch of dices and killing bad guys.

>What is your backer's remorse?
Heroquest 25th. I doubt I'll even bother to open the box before putting it on ebay.
>>
>>46061674

Did Heroquest 25th actually go anywhere? I backed that at one point, but the project got shut down before they could collect any funds. Did they retry it?
>>
>>46060348
>You are giving money to the vague promise of a game
Rule #1, don't back kickstarters that are just "vague promises"
>>
>>46060141
Yep i was backing the french translation of dd5.
3days before the end hasbro send em a mail "hey you never got the rights to sell the ogl"
Managed to get my money back in time
>>
>>46060800
>just not Enormous Pile Of Mediocre Miniatures:
Hey, I like the Bones Kickstarters.
>>
>>46061838

Bones was at least honest. I think he's mostly referring to the 'board games' which are basically a vector for selling overpriced bundles of miniatures, where the actual game mechanics are at best uninspired and mediocre.
>>
>>46052235
Checked the project in OP.
They updated some pledge to give 2y of printed release for 300£ that is worth more than 700£.

Currently backing : none though this rpg looks nice.

Waiting on : tmnt

Remorse : bloodrage
>>
>>46061874
Oh, right. I still backed a couple of games with piles of minis. Most notably SDE, NAS and Arcadia Quest. But they all turned out pretty good.
>>
>>46061706
Yes, they did it on an spanish site called Lanzanos. It was a success, but the communication with the backers after the campaign ended has been shit. These past couple of months have started to post videos and stuff, but it's late now and the community hates them for changing things, including making the figures multicomponent, not pre-assembled, and mixing metal and plastic parts on the same figure. After the shitstorm they said there are going to be plastic and metal parts to choose from, but still, if I wanted to glue little plastic men I would have bought a box of marines or something.
>>
>>46062131

Damn, seemed like I dodged a bullet with that one, although it's still kind of a shame. I'd love a modern followup to Hero Quest. I backed the Conan board game in the hope it'd scratch the same itch.
>>
>>46062177
At least I didn't bought any add-on, so the loss isn't that big, and reselling it shouldn't be hard. And who knows, maybe when they deliver it'll be known as the spanish KD, but I don't have high hopes.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.