[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Could a dark fantasy setting with Drakainia as Big Bad be fun?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: 1383868131979.png (2 MB, 1387x925) Image search: [Google]
1383868131979.png
2 MB, 1387x925
Could a dark fantasy setting with Drakainia as Big Bad be fun?
>>
>>46051894
only if it's an ERP

sage still works, right?
>>
No. It's bad, and you should feel bad for even considering it.
>>
>>46051894
>Could...dark fantasy...be fun?
no
>>
>>46051894
Only if you remove Impregnate Surrogate.
>>
I always thought it would be more fun to have a drakainia as the most awful, gross, terrible ally imaginable. The kind that means well, but whose every good intention leaves a horrific and revolting trail of carnage. And mutants.

"Please stop helping us," the PCs say, as she births some hideous thing covered in eyes for the nth time.

...Okay, yeah, there's probably no way to do that without it getting very realmy very quick.
>>
>>46051894
I would say yes, but I'm biased since I like weird freaky mutants and body horror. Would consider removing the chestburster attack thing, though, as that seems to be what most people object on the concept the most.

>>46057392
Reminds me of a thing I wrote that was pretty much the Drakainia as playable class (later used the same concept to make a more generic "weird mutations and shit" themed class, which probably works better, but was for a different system). That's pretty much the reaction that I'd expect from other characters if somebody would actually play it.
>>
>>46051894
I'm not familiar with D&D. That thing is a high level monster, right?
>>
>>46051894
This is the most magical realm monster I've ever seen in D&D.
>>
>>46057585
Mmm, I think I've read your class description, but it's almost automatically ERP, and IIRC it was aimed at playing evil characters. A drakainia NPC could be much less realmy because she wouldn't have to accompany the PCs all the time— it would be simple to have scenarios dealing with the messy aftermath of a drakainia attempt at heroism, without necessarily getting into the squicky abilities directly.

I'm also amused by the notion of a drakainia character who is largely blasé about her own powers and at least somewhat oblivious to other species' attitudes towards them. She regards giving birth several times a day as a normal and natural way to live, and feels that giving birth is fun and everyone should try it at least once.

"Oh dear— that one has a dog head on its back; that won't do at all. Let me try that again." The fighter blanches. The rogue nearly loses her lunch.
>>
>>46058076
It was primarily designed for a class to give to a villain in a horror-themed game, or possibly for a PC in an evil campaign, since the whole point of it was being horribly corruption of nature and that doesn't tend to mesh well with your average adventurer party.
I would't really say it was automatically ERP, though, since the spawn you made were created parthenogenetically (I originally had a line about making spawn the "old-fashoned way" letting you create ones that didn't melt into a pile of goop after a few minutes, but I think I removed that). Pretty damn Magical Realm, though, even if that wasn't really my intention when writing the thing (because, let's face it, the core mechanic was about gestating spawn and that sounds pretty Magical).

The 5th edition version was better, I think, since I made it into more general mutation/body-horror thing with the creation of spawn going from the core mechanic the class was built around into much less Magical "you create a monstrous minion through vaquely defined means". Still too weird and creepy for actualy play, though, but I never really wrote it for actual use.

In case somebody wants to see them, the original (3.5/PF) version is here: http://pastebin.com/QX1k6gUB
And the 5th edition class derived from it is here: http://pastebin.com/ESGv5Xzd
>>
>>46057803
Why is it magical realm?
>>
File: Echidna.jpg (105 KB, 400x605) Image search: [Google]
Echidna.jpg
105 KB, 400x605
>>46051894
Is that thing suposed to be a drakaina?

Jesus, this goes beyond the ocean goddess Tiamat becoming a evil multi-headed dragon.

The original drakainas from greek mythology are like the pic.
>>
>>46051894
>Mother of all monstergirls
>beautiful top half, tentacle bottom half
>Has the ability to mouth rape you with tentacles
How have I never seen R34 of this chick?
>>
>>46058076
Really, the more I think about it, the more plausible the idea of a semi-ally drakainia seems. I can see a number of ways to use one: A hare-brained attempt at subterfuge. A ham-handed intrusion into court intrigue that turns a devious plot into an indiscriminate massacre. The unfortunate side effects of possessing a gestation aura. Utterly misguided acts of altruism ("An only child? You must be so lonely..."). The brutal (yet justified) retaliation visited upon other adventurers (justifiably) attempting to slay what they view as a horrible monster. Or, conversely, the PCs' quandary as they are faced with the question of whether to rescue a strangely innocent hideous aberration of nature.

The sheer fecundity of a drakainia has its own set of interesting issues. A drakainia who doesn't use her offspring as fodder (and a goodish drakainia presumably wouldn't, unless pressed) could birth an entire town's population in a year or so—a town full of mutants. This presents a host of political, ecological, and logistical challenges. Could the PCs convince her to... tone it down a little? To sell a drakainia on what's either abstinence, contraception, or abortion, depending on your point of view?

And don't get me started on the time she tried to help the elves with their low birth rates.

As long as you can avoid the realmy-ness of the creature itself, there's a lot of possibility there.
>>
>>46059036
Echidna is the original Monster Girl.
>>
>>46058076
>>46059475
Oblivious but well-meaning monster-spawning abomination against nature sounds suprisingly cute. I'm a sucker for creepy-cute things, though.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.