[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Soon I'm starting a 5e campaign and I'm afraid my DM-ing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: anxiety.jpg (110 KB, 672x520) Image search: [Google]
anxiety.jpg
110 KB, 672x520
Soon I'm starting a 5e campaign and I'm afraid my DM-ing will not be immersive enough. I'm afraid players will just be running around, killing hostile statblocks and rant due to the fact no one sells them those Gauntlets of Ogre power to complete their builds.

I have also overstocked on general material I need for the campaign.
>>
>>46050120
Putting together a decent group is the most important thing you can ever do when you start role-playing, and I'm not talking about filling all the roles in the party in some kind of pen and paper version of World of Warcraft, I'm talking about the players.

No amount of effort of preparation you put in can ever make up for having a shitty group, but a great group can make things happen without constant plothooks from the DM.

If you have good players everything will work out, if you have shitty players you're about to throw away hours and hours of your life.
>>
>>46050120
You're right.

Your first time won't be immersive enough, your players will be murder hobos and things generally won't go to plan. This is normal and won't matter as long as everyone has fun. You'll improve with every game you run, because you'll learn from your mistakes. Then you won't need to remake threads that have been made a thousand times before and are made redundant by the wealth of sites and posts covering this exact issue.
>>
>>46050189
This guy has it. Tell us about your players and we'll predict what'll happen.
>>
>>46050189
OP here.

This is it, man. This is fucking it. Thanks for advice.
>>
>>46050236

OP here.

Well ... For now I have in mind three players. Funny thing is cool people seem to have little time while sweaty neckbeards that will provide me a CS before I say "metagaming", are dime a dozen.

Anyway I mean to put together a good, invested group. I have an eye on a friend who is fed up with his 4e group because it's all stats and no roleplay. Also I'm thinking of inviting his disabled friend who is sort of a cool guy and a complete newbie to dnd(he already said he'd like to try). Then i have in mind another friend who is a long time player, but there is a question of him having the time due to family and job. Last on the list is a couple in which both are nice gamers, but she may not have the time. I think he may not have it also.

But getting together a cool group ... yeah, I'll really try to set this up together.
>>
>>46050120
>>46050271
holy shit your story sounds exactly like my DM-to-be

Alexander T. Bestcott is this you
>>
>>46050428
Which player are you?
>>
File: ContemplativeCostanza20.gif (885 KB, 500x418) Image search: [Google]
ContemplativeCostanza20.gif
885 KB, 500x418
>>46050483
from this post, I can tell you're not A.T.B.

he would know exactly which player I am given where we're posting

if you truly were Our Lord & Saviour, the One True Bestcott, you'd know I was Iceman
>>
>>46050534
Never said I was OP, just curious which one you thought you were.
>>
>>46050237
You're welcome, as a forever DM (who likes it) It's my duty to share some wisdom (highly biased anecdotal evidence I present as absolute truth) with new players (the forlorn hope.)

Here are some more, free of charge:
1) Always use the first session to make characters together. This curbs the excesses of players who're tempted to make halfblood albino assassins as soon as they get to hole up by themselves without any ridicule from their peers. It also allows for fun themed parties (we were all in the army! We're from the same village! We're all inbred cousins! We're a nobleman and his entourage!)

2: Don't write a script for the plot, let the plot be whatever happens when the players come into conflict with people and then have the npcs act naturally. Do they try to help some oppressed villagers? Well maybe now they're mixed up in a plot involving a bandit chief and a local merchant trying to drive people out of town for whatever reason. Did they get away? Might pop up again! What resources do their enemies have? How do they use them? A common beginner mistake is over-planning and then getting stumped when the players go off the reservation, and trying to shoehorn every event and encounter into being relevant to some overarching plot instead of just being normal occurrences.

3) Never start a campaign from 0. Start it off where something happens or has just happened that forces the players to work together or do something dramatic. Going to the tavern to see if anyone needs help is a shit start, being on the losing side of a great battle and having to make their way through enemy lines and back to safety is a great one.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.