[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Alien Lifeforms
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: silicon.gif (3 KB, 144x182) Image search: [Google]
silicon.gif
3 KB, 144x182
How would you go about making an alien race with a different bio-chemistry (Such as using Silicon instead of Carbon) or environment (For example, high gravity).
>>
>>46049702
I'd make Nitrogen based aliens that die upon contact with Selenium.
>>
There is a somewhat popular theory of sulfur based life existing due to its unique bonding properties, its been while since I read about but basically instead of a water based ecosystem it would either be methane or ammonia. Remember the reason why carbon is so great is its ability to share electrons and nitrogen is not quite as good.
>>
Carbon is best.
>>
I'd make them survivors from before the formation of Atoms. A time in the universe when entropy was virtually zero. heir time of dominance was
short-lived by our standards, but incredibly fast. They think millions of times as fast as atom-based lifeforms but consume millions of times more energy. Most of them are extinct or sleeping due starving in an increasingly Void universe. Those who survive, relay on consuming stars or even galaxies.
>>
>>46050948
kek
You know that scene is based upon an absolutely dreadful understanding of biochemistry, right?

In other news, if I had to do alternative biochemistry, I'd do something based upon non-branching polysiloxanes as a method of data storage.
>>
>>46051000
So they are not based on atoms but rely on atoms? What are they made from?
>>
>>46051000

Sounds like a curious concept, but probably an unrealistic one. Still, it allows for "Here be Star-devouring dragons."
>>
>>46051032

They consume energy, once free now limited to stars. You can make neutrinos, dark matter and other forms of exotic matter their corpses.
>>
>>46049702
I'd wave my GM hand, say "the aliens are Silicon based" and stubbornly refuse to listen to the player's whines about realism.

If they refused to shut up, I'd tell them it was QUANTUM!
>>
>>46051232
Energy isn't limited to stars what the fuck are you smoking
>>
>>46051327
That's just cruel.
>>
>>46051401

It's the mos abundant one. Lesser forms of energy are not enough and uncommon compared to stars.
>>
>>46051468
Eat a bullet
>>
>Make variety of aliens
>Tell friend I basically have a habit of making them all fetish fuel
>But then I overexplain them till they're no longer magical realm
>For example, my Blue aliens
>Come from low gravity and have been forced to become semi-aquatic
>Standing on Earth, they're forced on a super strict diet or break their legs
>What's worse is that they're about nine feet tall
>So they don't have a shred of fat on them
>"...wait, what fetish is that?"
>tall fit girls man, tall fit girls
>"Oh! Oh.. yeah"
>>
>>46049702
Gurps has has generation about this.

/TG/ even made an alien race with it (using https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plurality_voting_system to select between the choices possible to be rolled at random).
Will post the race when I get home
>>
File: 0115-sci-BRAINa_large.jpg (121 KB, 525x769) Image search: [Google]
0115-sci-BRAINa_large.jpg
121 KB, 525x769
>>46049702
Just imagine a macguffin molecule and make it the base of your new biochemistry.
Trying to give more details while only result on bad science fiction, since we have absolutely no idea how such a biochemistry would work.
Hell, I'm pretty sure even extreme environments such as gas giants, sun corollas, and interstellar clouds can harbor some kind of life, speaking extremely widely. It is even possible for some completely random arrangements of gazeous molecules to work in a similar fasion to a brain, pic related.
>>
>>46051941
will* only result, sorry, brain bug
>>
>>46051517

Chemical chauvinist.
>>
>>46051218
>"Here be Star-devouring dragons."
>Not done before
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.