[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Djinn, Genies, & Efreet
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 17
File: Jeannie.jpg (58 KB, 1087x406) Image search: [Google]
Jeannie.jpg
58 KB, 1087x406
Greetings /tg/,

How do you djinn?
Specifically, what do they look like?

I have been working on a homebrew setting that includes djinn, but no not!arabia country.
I understand that djinn are generally monochromatic shapeshifters made of smokeless fire.
But what does their natural form look like?
Is their commonly depicted appearance of pointy ears, densely muscled, and semi gaseous based on anything?

I realize I can make my setting any way I choose, but I like to base things on original lore as much as I can.

(I also have pared down the large number of races who have pointed ears for no reason.)
>>
File: djinn.png (180 KB, 452x300) Image search: [Google]
djinn.png
180 KB, 452x300
Horns?
Ears?
Fashion sense?

Nobody?
>>
File: Thief_Djinn.jpg (161 KB, 664x763) Image search: [Google]
Thief_Djinn.jpg
161 KB, 664x763
Dumping various djinns any genie art then.
>>
File: DjinnoftheRuinedTemple.jpg (265 KB, 1000x556) Image search: [Google]
DjinnoftheRuinedTemple.jpg
265 KB, 1000x556
I suspect more powerful djinn can manifest in larger sizes.
>>
File: djinnbling.jpg (245 KB, 810x1135) Image search: [Google]
djinnbling.jpg
245 KB, 810x1135
Djinn seem attracted to jewelry.
Not sure if that's a racial trait.
>>
As they are made of smokeless fire, should the flames be apparent?
>>
File: Djinni_of_Zephyrs.png (278 KB, 511x400) Image search: [Google]
Djinni_of_Zephyrs.png
278 KB, 511x400
Of course, djinn are often depicted as being air based, when they are actually fire based.
>>
Have you ever read the Bartimaeus books, anon?
>>
File: Djinn_Supernatural.jpg (83 KB, 1279x719) Image search: [Google]
Djinn_Supernatural.jpg
83 KB, 1279x719
I've also seen them sometime depicted as heavily tatooed, which can be cool, but would need to be culturally explained to be a racial trait.
>>
File: Bartimaeus books.jpg (53 KB, 654x324) Image search: [Google]
Bartimaeus books.jpg
53 KB, 654x324
>>46048755
I have not.
It looks like Djinn in them are a kind of Demon in the books.
Which I understand as I did something similar in my setting.

There is some overlap between djinn and demonic traits.
>>
>>46048853
They also distinguish between djinn (fire and air), afrits (just fire I think), and marids (water) as tiers of spirit, with marids being the most powerful.
>>
>>46048755
Childhood favorite, anon.
>>46048853
They're shapeless spirits who live in a world parallel to our own and when called into ours are forced into having a name and a form. There are 5 levels of power amongst them: Imp, Foliot, Djinni, Efrit and Marid. With imps being pests and MArids being minor gods.
>>
File: ItsaSkinCondition.jpg (23 KB, 236x332) Image search: [Google]
ItsaSkinCondition.jpg
23 KB, 236x332
I like the differently textured skin depictions, which again are similar to demons.
>>
>>46048909
>Childhood favorite, anon.

I've always wanted to run a game in it.

>>46044164
I like it when djinn have two forms: One huge and muscled and possibly with no lower body, the other a more tolerable human form which can still be recognized by people who've seen the real thing.
>>
File: Shantae.jpg (84 KB, 736x1069) Image search: [Google]
Shantae.jpg
84 KB, 736x1069
>>46048909
>>46048890
When researching this, I found a great thread a while back with an iraqianon well versed in djinn lore sharing a lot that great info like this.

If they have no form until entering our world (which exactly matches what I came up with in my setting), then is there a standard form they are forced into?
Can a sufficiently educated person identify the form of a djinn from sight?

Most of the stories are about how the djinn looked like something else.
>>
>>46048969
>I like it when djinn have two forms: One huge and muscled and possibly with no lower body, the other a more tolerable human form which can still be recognized by people who've seen the real thing.
This is good.
>>
File: Ghul2B.jpg (19 KB, 236x460) Image search: [Google]
Ghul2B.jpg
19 KB, 236x460
I'm also okay with half-breed, weaker djinn.
>>
>>46049060
It's also nice when they can revert back to elemental fire (or water in the case of marids) and move around like that.
>>
File: gwn-monster-djinn.jpg (89 KB, 1000x680) Image search: [Google]
gwn-monster-djinn.jpg
89 KB, 1000x680
>>46049152
>It's also nice when they can revert back to elemental fire (or water in the case of marids) and move around like that.
The djinn in my world are all associated with fire.
Although, ain't nobody gonna tell a marid power level djinn that they can't turn into elemental water if they choose to.
>>
File: Genie.jpg (134 KB, 500x714) Image search: [Google]
Genie.jpg
134 KB, 500x714
So, do we have any consensus on what the form of a djinn should be?
>>
>>46049467
I still say >>46048969 and >>46049152
>>
File: LightningDjinn.jpg (99 KB, 500x452) Image search: [Google]
LightningDjinn.jpg
99 KB, 500x452
>>
File: 1457797231236.png (75 KB, 655x580) Image search: [Google]
1457797231236.png
75 KB, 655x580
I tend to use efreets for my settings since people easily mistake them for devils and try to use anti devil weapons against them. My efreets go from red to volcano texture with magma skin, always have horns and have bipedal forms.

I like to make half breeds with efreets as well. I mimic the fel orcs using efreet blood and I have this half wereboar half efreet I call Pig Roast.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.