[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I am a new player to 40k and I have chosen Skitarii/Cult Mechanicus
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 9
I am a new player to 40k and I have chosen Skitarii/Cult Mechanicus to be the first army I build. Am I making a terrible mistake?
Also general Admech art thread..
>>
So far I have skimmed through the fluff and read the rules set thing at the back of the codex.
It seems like with a few vanguard squads with arquebuses and some rust stalkers I could do some serious damage to an ork/imperial guard player. But I haven't put this theory to the test yet...
>>
Maybe this thread is kind of a waste of space... Just hoping to get some advice from anyone who has some experience playing/fighting admech. Maybe I shouldn't have started out with "I am a new player to 40k"
>>
I am in the exact same situation as you. The things that I have learned:

their units are vulnerable to AP4, which is rough, so you need to use cover.

you have excellent first turn shooting because you can give your guys +3bs

you are slow, so you might have trouble with bikes/wave serpents/other stuff that runs around you grabbing objectives

you lack flamers, which are usually the best source of anti-cover save and good for free hits on charging units (read: you can be vulnerable to getting charged)

you don't have any fliers to fighter other people's fliers, so make sure to take enough skyfire/guys who skyfire at bs2 rather than snap shooting.

this is basically all that I know so far, and am looking to figure out what else to do for army building
>>
>>46043681
Also, I was told never to take either of the electropriest guys
>>
>>46043175
SkitMech is a cool army. Solid on the table with some awesome models to choose from. They are good enough that you dont need to run War Convocation. Dont run War Convocation. Have fun!
>>
>>46043175
Hey man, I'm looking to get into 40K too, and these guys seem pretty cool. I can't tell you much other than good luck, though.
>>
>>46043704
I was told the same, my army right now is just 750 points:
2 five man vanguard squads with one arc rifle each
2 five man ranger squads with two arquebuses
10 sicarian infiltrators
and an Oneger Dunecrawler with Neutron laser and heavy stubber.

I basically based this off of an aequebus/infiltrator combo I thought up where I get my infiltrators close to fuck up their leadership then try to get them pinned by my arquebuses. It might be a little out there though, I can't wait to try it out though.
>>
>>46043963
eww redundant though's
>>
Stay the fuck away from 40k before the disappointment sets in and the sunken cost fallacy grips you.

If you are dead set at playing something in the universe, at least go with Epic.
>>
>>46044005
well that's unnerving, are there literally no redeeming factors? If I enjoy assembling/painting my little robot catholics is it still not worth it?
>>
>>46044053
oops, didn't post an image with that one
>>
>>46044053
people get really up tight about game balance when they spend a ton of money and then get shafted by terrible crunch writers.

also super competitive scenes are pretty toxic
>>
>>
>>46044053
>If I enjoy assembling/painting my little robot catholics is it still not worth it?

If you are solely into collecting then you might be one of the magical unicorns that that will have no issues with 40k

But I hope for you that you really only want a single box of everything, or the prices will hit you just as hard.
If you are only in it for the collecting, ebay is probably out of the question, so good luck with the prices.

Other than that, rules are shit, fluff has become shit, most of the community is shit and the company is the worst scum the traditional games world has seen since the demise of TSR.
>>
File: 1457095009899.jpg (744 KB, 1003x1599) Image search: [Google]
1457095009899.jpg
744 KB, 1003x1599
>>46043175
I play Skitarii in both regular 40k and Kill team. One thing worth mentioning is between Vanguard and Rangers, while Rangers are a valid choice and by no means bad; I consider Vanguard to be the most cost effective infantry in the game.

I don't like the Cult Mechanicus as much, but the Magos is pretty fantastic.

Lack of transports hurts though, so consider allying with Guard or SM.

The Sicarian killclade if you can manage it is great for what it does.

>>46043681
I agreee with everything >>46043681 posted except,

>their units are vulnerable to AP4, which is rough, so you need to use cover.

Well, they are, but AP 4 weapons and below are MUCH more rare than AP 5 weapons, which are quite common (Bolters, Gauss Flayers, Shuriken Catapults, Splinter Rifles, Pulse Rifles, Frag Grenades, etc.) . You don't need to hug cover like you would with an army with 5+ saves.
>>
>>46044214
I'm curious now.. I somewhat enjoy the new fluff, besides the space wolf stuff.. But then again I haven't experienced the old stuff to compare. What makes the new stuff worse?
>>
>>46044104

I can definitely see getting salty over loosing when you spend so much time planning/constructing your army. I'll take it nice and slow, might even wait until some more units are released for admech before expanding any larger. I appreciate the advice.
>>
>>46044449
This is why elegan/tg/entlemen mostly focus on having fun with your dudes.

see https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Your_Dudes
>>
>>46044594
>>46044449
Your Dudes are literally 90% of 40k lore

for example here's an example of Our Dudes
>>46023044

and two homebrews in the making
>>46041252
>>46037487
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.