[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Re:monster setting & rules
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 121
Thread images: 1
File: reborn monster.png (907 KB, 649x526) Image search: [Google]
reborn monster.png
907 KB, 649x526
Alrighty lads.

I have been reading up on this somewhat fun novel and I think it is an awesome setting. Magic, level-ups, waifus etc. It checks all of my requirements of an interesting setting.

So I come to you in my hour of need. How can you make characters in this universe? How would you deal with the rank-ups? And if you were to include that cool devour ability, how would you allow it to work?

Other than that.. Re:Monster thread/setting/rules thread?
>>
really? I am the only one who has read (some of) this?
>>
>>46039380
If your criteria for an interesting setting is "waifus" and meta bullshit, then I do not value your opinions or your taste in writing.
>>
>>46040532
that was more for an eye-catcher. I just like the idea of beings battling and then evolving. It is like fantasy pokemon
>>
>>46039380
It's literally edgy jrpg: the novel. Pray tell me what the hell in this gary stu rapefest is interesting?
>>
>>46040686
well I like the magical items, the completely overpowered main character who manages to become an one-man army by the age of.. 2 months or something like that?

I guess I am just easy to please
>>
>>46040771
Well, you like Mary and Gary. Don't feel bad for that, but it's not exactly what I would call interesting enough for me to start pondering about. Rape fantasies are always fun, but I'm not gonna put them in my games.
>>
>>46040835
>Well, you like Mary and Gary
I guess. And while I would like to say there isn't rape in this.. I can't. Sure they "justify" it by using aphrodisiacs but.. yeah.
>>
>>46040771
You see, those things you just described are negatives for me. Especially the whole 2 months thing. If a story/setting can't take itself seriously then I can't take it seriously. Similarly, if a story can't keep to it's own rules along with having characters act reasonable for their setting then the entire thing is pointless, unless you actually enjoy nonsensical shit. Like how everyone apparently loves Kender in setting.

Well, you've discovered you like Gary Stu. Go crazy, lots of powerwank material around.
>>
>>46040885
Rejoice, your interest is what every fanfic writer creates first time they start to write.

There's literally a lifetime supply of Gary and Mary on the internet for you to enjoy.
>>
>>46040928
well most light novels are like that. But then again: I like that.

Although I am trying to make some rules about that devour ability.
What if you were to kill someone and then eating them. You would then roll for each of the monsters natural abilities. LIke you would have a 10% chance to get a wolf bite.

Would that be somewhat balanced?
>>
>>46039380
Are you talking about making it into a roleplay setting? Because I think others have done something similar. I remember seeing folks talk about a moth campaign in some old re:monster quest threads awhile back, so that's something you could try looking into. Granted, that was based on the quest, which is only loosely based on the basic premise of the novel.
>>
>>46041018
You'd need to define a system, but sure, some percentage roll could work. Or exp kind of deal, where you need to eat enough to unlock new abilities.
>>
>>46041028
I was thinking about it for my group but I wanted to hear some ideas on rules and the like.

Like the Rank-Up. Basically once a monster reaches lvl 100 he or she will rank up and go to a new stage.
I mean how would you do that? How much exp to gain 1 level, is there pre-made race routes or should it be player decided etc.

>>46041070
Yeah some system would be nice.
The problem would be that I am most accustomed with the rules of DnD. So I would prefer if it could be based on that.
But if anything is easier to use in this case, I would be happy to learn it
>>
>>46039380
>Magic, level-ups, waifus etc. It checks all of my requirements of an interesting setting.
Fuck, anon, get some standards.
>>
>>46040239
No it's just that that setting isn't really that interesting and the story itself is pretty boring and more than a little uncomfortable with all the rape justification going on but that's a topic I don't want to Really go too deep on seeing how it plays out on /a/ all the time.
>>
Remember, it's not rape if you fed them drugs that make them insatiably horny against their will.
>>
>>46044391
Go back to /a/
>>
>>46040239
No, but it's a bland setting with only one novelty; Racial Class Advancement.
>>
You see, when I started to read this I assumed they were going with the main character being the antagonist. Murder, torture, rape, brainwashing, cannibalism... It checked all of the boxes in the evil category. I read chapter after chapter waiting for the moment that he'd actually meet the protagonist and have a real fight. Maybe that 'hero' kid that he stole from one of the gods? Was he going full Palpatine? I love the Blue Mage archetype so I even put aside the contrived world based on game mechanics thing because I had assumed that was a plot thread that was going somewhere. Turns out I think the author is just a hack that can't help but coach everything in video game terms without even the pretense of a reason.

But no. Somewhere along the lines the author took a sharp left turn into, "Oh yeah he's totally the good guy!" But not in the way like editorial told him to clean up the series some. In the way that he only just figured out that good guys don't create stables of sex slaves with mind-altering chemicals that he personally breaks in before tossing everything but his favorites to his minions so that he can swell the ranks of his barbarian horde. I held out hope that perhaps the main character was just cleaning up his act for the sake of getting into politics but I gave that up by the time he evolved into Super Kami Guru IX mode.
>>
>>46044840
I stopped a lot sooner
>Huh, just putting the poison for them to kill themselves with. That's uh, not a kindness, you just don't want to face your inability to save them. Alright, flawed MC, workable.
>OH LOOK, YOU ATE THEM ANYWAY, SO MUCH FOR FEELING LIKE A GOOD PERSON
the elf part couldn't even be justified in the slightest.
>>
>>46046371
Elf slaves were justified, just not morally justified according to modern human morals.
That being said, the reason for elvish sex slaves is not narrative merit, or a consequence of world-building, or realpolitik, but for wankery. The whole work is an exercise in wankery. Power-level wankery, self-masturbatory "cleverness", self-insert wish-fulfillment waifu wankery.

Let's look what happens when shit behaves realistically.
A) MC dies to horned rabbits before he has a chance to ascend to suedom, like any other goblin.
B) Goblins abandon him after seeing him torture and eat other goblins, for self-preservation.
C) The adventurer girls don't fall for his rugged gobbo looks. Because he's a fuckign monster, and they have lives and wills beyond "waifu material".
D) The captured elves being used as sex slaves prompts the girls to gtfo, if they haven't left in the night already.
E) The human army isn't completely useless, and has a proportionally realistic number of badasses who run roughshod over MCs shit.
D) The elven sex slaves are discovered (elves have superior hearing), and the elf king decides to wipe out the MC and his band with arcane elven lore.
E) The easily penetrated dungeon gives up its spoils to elf or human adventurers long before MC gets to them.
>>
>>46046371
I thought the poison was more a mercy kill since those women had been broken physically, mentally, and probably emotionally. Death was the best option for them barring an incredibly long and possibly futile rehabilitation after they could escape. Granted I only read this once and then dropped it after aphrodisiac elf escapades. I can't believe the number of people who try and defend that as "not rape" because they consented under duress and extreme coercion.
>>
>>46039380
We've had some pretty damn good quests on it here.
>Re:Monster EX (starring spider monstergirl, embarks on a journey of being OP as fuck and gathering a crew of other monstergirls but QM denied all the waifu faggotry),
>Re:Lizard (lizard ditched cutesy monstergirling and is basically huge bipedal reptilian monster with funny mannerisms),
>Re:Snake (this one is the most influenced by past life, in which she was basically Tomoko, and still carries the mad societal anxiety. Also as an egg she was abandoned alone in the woods so that's fun too.),
>Re: Kobold (QM promised cute awooing, then pulled shocking swerve into drama, a lot of readers are salted)
>Re:Harpy (still in very childhood stage, cute harpies doing cute things)

They all run basically their own setting, no connection to the original novels because fuck that mary sue goblin.
>>
>>46048224
I heard 'something' happened in Re:Snake that made it infamous too.

The other three are still pretty good though. I just wished Kay didn't suddenly hit everyone with the hiatus stick without warning and without dropping of the face of the earth until he returns.
>>
>>46044321
This

Also the main character is a really bland Mary Sue who has yet to encounter any form of conflict he doesn't just whisk away in a page
>>
>>46049534
>I heard 'something' happened in Re:Snake that made it infamous too.
There was a bit, but it was basically death throes - QM quit, his friend tried taking over and fucked it up. Quest didn't last for even a thread after that.
Kobold run with the drama for some time.
>>
By now I'm convinced that the only people more degenerate than the authors of light novels are the scum and human waste enjoying this shit.
I'm usually a guy that doesn't give a fuck and lives and lets live, but this shit disgusts me.
Not for the rapeshit, I don't care, I fucking love Berserk, but for the fact that this stuff is probably the worst creative medium quality wise humanity has ever come up with.
>>
>Bashing: The thread
Damn that is some massive hate against more or less any main character from any xianxia novel.

But let's try something else. How would you save Re:Monster? Give it some massive badguy? Let the MC loose his abilities?

Or can we come up with some gamemechanic in which you can do these evolutions?
>>
>>46039380
This manga is the most MMO media I've ever seen.

All the main character does is grind mobs that offer zero challenge, getting rewards that mean absolutely nothing because they're just thrown at him.
>>
>>46049675
>any main character from any xianxia novel.
Sure they are mad OP hopping through power levels like crazy and have the luck of the devil...
But the authors generally don't bend the world over to justify their reprehensible behaviour as totally morally just.
In fact they're generally decent moral fellows, at most with a huge revenge boner.

The elves incident is what breaks re:monster for me. Mercy killing early on was passable, justifying necessities was passable, but when the aphrodisiac came first, the author has crossed the line.

Also his backstory is fucking gaia tier edgy. Oh he was a guy in super soldier program that gave him the skill and he killed all those people but he wasn't evil or some shit fuck I purged most of those memories.

>But let's try something else. How would you save Re:Monster? Give it some massive badguy? Let the MC loose his abilities?
Either acknowledge the goblin as evil overlord. Eventually basically become Ainz.
Or don't have him act like an evil shithead.

Powerwank is the point of it. People that don't like power trip novels will never like it.
Problem lies in author's other shit.
>>
>>46049745
>Problem lies in author's other shit.
he has made more??
>>
>>46049745
(Although there are always some exceptions, i.e ATG's protagonist with bodycount of literally 2x Hitler)

>>46049769
No I meant in other elements of the novel that frame around the power trip.
>>
a world with Rou as the evil overlord and the PCs trying to level up and overthrow him seems like it could work..
>>
>>46049675
>How would you save Re:Monster?
I'd save it by just making it a story about the rise of an ogre warlord. No human backstory. No OP power based around eating anything he can find for instant powers.

He's just an goblin who was more clever than most and began to question the framework he was raised under and ultimately uses his curiosity and intelligence to move up the totem pole. You can keep the evolution from goblin to orc to ogre for all I care but he'll still have to earn those through feats of strength and determination.

Basically make a story about a compelling character even if he is still going to be morally evil in the eyes of the reader.
>>
>>46050074
I'd read that
>>
>>46050096
check out Re: Snake Quest if you like MC struggle, it's got both physically against monsters and psychologically against being a monster.
>>
>>46050134
I might just do that.

but I also would like to know more of this evolution. How does it work?
>>
>>46050182
Uh, what specifically?

Evolution of the monsters in the novel and the quests?
The world is partially meta-aware of RPG mechanics. They have levels and when they hit level cap for current evolution, they evolve into a higher tier of monster. That may come with rather drastic physical changes, i.e. in the novel goblins can grow into ogres, minotaurs and vampires. (quests didn't often go that crazy, but they did did have lizard going wyvern with wings and spider manifesting a giant fucking skull on top of her spider abdomen)
Quests didn't go deep into meta-awareness flavour, i.e. people don't bring up their levels all that often; but human (also elves and dwarves and so on humanoids) adventurers are aware of their class spread.
>>
>>46050232
so it is like a normal roleplay except the characters know of levels and such? And they are pokemon?
>>
>>46050265
Well like I said, levels weren't brought up in-character in the quests. Evolutions always come unexpected.

But they do know that
>And they are pokemon?
yes they are pokemon. Except instead of one specific path, they are very widely branching.
And get even wider with modifiers on every stage.

I.e. all Arachne first evolve into Widow Arachne, then second evolution has many variants with for example common Wolf/Jumping Spider and Orb Spider.
MC due to being extra tanky and protective of her friends, evolved into Red Widow variant with increased defence. And then kept going with other rarer variants.
>>
>>46050333
oh so they are more like digimon but without the ability to go back in forms
>>
>>46050352
Yeah that's better fit.
>>
>>46050409
I sorta want to implement this into my groups game then.
The look on our hunters face once his pig mount evolves into.. Pigasaurus rex or something.
>>
>>46049675
>In fact they're generally decent moral fellows, at most with a huge revenge boner.
this is the most important point, as even the ones who are assholes are pretty aware of it and don't use such flimsy self-justification for what they do.

>save
umm, throw out nearly everything? Using an experience point system makes it impossible to balance. There's no way to create a reasonable distribution of power levels throughout a creature's lifespan. At best, something similar to Danmachi's system that emphasizes what you physically experience rather than how many things you kill could work, but at a fraction of the speed that REGULAR adventurers earn it, to slow down progression from a couple years to a decade or two for a single evolution.

Rare != Better, that is a really important one to scrub out chances for snowflakes and sues. A unique power replaces bonus stats, a strong person is strong because they make full use of what they have, not that they are magically better(barring magical buffs). Someone is naturally stronger? That's talent/willpower/creativity/cheating, not something you can view as a stat.
>>
>>46050333
>>46050352
>>46050409
>>46050447
Fuck me, the setting I want to run with digimon having distinct personalities and initiative is two steps away from RE:Monster.
>>
>>46050501
well as long as the digimon don't eat others to gain their power that should be okay.. right?
Although I guess it wouldn't be that far-fetched to have digimons upgrade their codes with the codes of the defeated monsters
>>
>>46050515
Well....

When a digimon defeats another, many things can happen:
>Loser runs away, bleeding Bits and corrupted data that sometimes mutates into cheapo items. Winner gets experience and possibly territory.
>Loser is killed, outer shell data is consumed by the Winner while the Digicore floats off to a Babytown.
>Viruses can sometimes partially/entirely devour a Digicore, leading to a much more permanent death and powerup, but the eater can experience.....side effects. Often a Virus vomits out stuff it doesn't need later on.
>Vaccines sometimes capture the Digicore for temporary use as a Flawed (Digi)Memory, or use them to make/invent Tools or Equipment
>Data can more thoroughly study a Digicore to adapt their own data in imitation, but otherwise have little use for them.

Of course, this assumes a more "natural" ecosystem where deaths are actually rather rare outside of war. Meat, Mushrooms, Veggies, and Fish are rather standard foods.
>>
>>46050501
>>46050582
Look, re:monster's fault is edgelord MC who is mary sue'd into high moral ground anyway.
Don't do that and you're fine.
>>
so... If I were to add this evolution system to my game.. do monsters level up like players? When do they evolve? Are there stats to look for or is it just "lol I feel like evolving into a feral three headed dragon"?
>>
>>46039380
>>46040239
Were you unaware that there have been no less than six quest threads based on this? Harpy, lizard, spider, snake, human, kobold.

Admittedly most of them are on hiatus (or ded. RIP snek) but there was a time not too long ago when there would be three or four of them running simultaneously. Spider has over a hundred threads.
>>
>>46051336
There are no solid stats. In Quests, spider and lizard were keeping track of notable achievements and gave players options based on them.

I.e. spider is weapon-user (rather than claws and fang) and critted on weapon crafting, that opened options with metal-manipulation and fire (blessing of the forge); fighting giant monsters opened up tough and stronk evolutions, etc.

When? well the novel and quests had 100 levels per evolutionary stage, but if you're adapting it to system then you can select benchmarks however you want.

Also XP gain varied by how challenging things were and obviously giant spider needs to fight bigger things to get XP than a goblin, even if they're both at 1st stage evolution.

Also "human" adventurers have entirely different system - they multiclass, although classes can get upgraded to higher tier classes, plus of course there are prestige classes.

But overrall? There is NO solid system, so homebrew whatever you like.
>>
>>46051587
well.. How often did an evolution occur? Was it like every year or something like that? How fast could one get 100 levels?

I guess humans will just use the normal classes they can get a hold of similar to any system.
>>
>>46049694

Yeah, I have to agree.

Like, this is just my opinion when it comes to narratives. Don't ever let the character have to grind. Everything should be high-risk, high-reward, or he simply shouldn't have time to arm up and get swole.

A protagonist should be constantly pushed to do things NOW NOW NOW with no time to get secure. I also try to keep the same philosophy in Quests, where you never have the opportunity to get comfortable. You can't research stuff or spend entire sessions building shit, you're constantly on the run and what you use is what you've snatched from your enemy.

That, to my mind, is the only way you can do something like that without it getting dull. Anyone read Shield Hero? Remember when he became a merchant and just started trading shit endlessly?

Man, fuck that!
>>
>>46051611
I'd say it can be pretty fast for base monsters, but it gets harder as you evolve. You either need to do exponentially more, or up the challenge of what you're doing. At some tier, killing the same unirabbit that leveled you up at tier 0 doesn't count for squat unless you genocide them entirely. On the other hand, killing something that are considered several tiers above you gets you mad levels, and likely some pretty unique achievements that'll factor into the next evolution.
>>
>>46051640
>Shield hero
I haven't read it but I do follow the manga.
Fuck those other heroes and that second princess. Holy crap is she punchable
>>
>>46051659
Hmm so it might just be easier to do adventures as the monsters in some freeform system where you level up whenever the storyteller tells you?
>>
>>46051640
Hive Queen Quest was like that. Hell, it was a pseudo-civ quest. Lots of logistics, building things, making and designing new drones and ships, and let's not forget the research. Anons where research addicts myself included. Also, the modus operandi was stealth until it was advantageous to reveal ourselves, so there where some comfy threads sprinkled in there.

Can't wait until it comes back. It's been half a year...
>>
>>46051673

I think they sold it too hard, really.

See, there's 'power fantasy' and then there's power fantasy, you know? Like, if I was writing it, I'd have made things more realistic. Maybe the King has a really GOOD reason for hating the Shield Hero. Maybe everything was fine and dandy until the previous Hero of the Shield turned out to be Gorool Thrice-Damned, and the golden age ended when the other three had to team up to kill his ass like the backstabbing faggot he was.

Also, the Princess's motivations make no sense. Like, why both to screw this one guy over? She's hot, and she's the Princess. She can just pick the guy she likes, give him massive advantages, and go - "Hey, when this is over, I'll marry you. You can be King, and I can be Queen."

I don't know, man. A lot of stories lack verisimilitude.

>>46051679

Frankly, if you want a setting like this, perhaps the best idea would be that evolved monsters need a certain substance to sustain their evolution. Like, maybe they need to constantly chow down on Warpstone or high-level monsters, or they just collapse and become Chaos Spawn. That way, they have to KEEP moving, keep killing, keep changing.
>>
>>46051611
Very very varied. SpiderQM heaped a ton of extra modifiers on it to justify why MC level grinds quickly but there are old monsters at low evos.

His justification was that childhood period (couple months, during which the monster very rapidly matures to full adult size) is extremely important as it sets multiplier on all future XP depending on how active and how /dangerously/ the younglings spend it.

MC spider had wild adventures, and dragged some of her siblings and the first buddy harpy on them, so she had it mad high and everybody around is positively freaked about how rapid she is.
But generally, spiders are more chill, they don't go constantly hunting for the few things bigger and more dangerous than themselves, so they have very low multiplier. And due to starting as big badass already, they take years to evolve even once. Twice evolving is for the oldest and badassest.

MC's spidermom for another example: she also had mad adventuring spirit, but when she go into trouble, spider grandma grounded her, screwing her out of glorious XP flow. So spidermom took years to evolve.
But when MC got into trouble like she did, mom's answer was not keeping her away from danger, but a gruelling training regime to ensure that she'll rip and tear any danger the fuck apart. That paid off.

But the end answer is the same
>There is NO solid system, so homebrew whatever you like.
>>
>>46051721
>KEEP moving, keep killing, keep changing.
I am pretty sure in a world where you are never the biggest baddest thing crawling around I would say that it is always important to keep on evolving if you want to survive
>>
Is Re:monster really that bad? The blurb for it looks kind of interesting.
>>
>>46051740
>spiders are chill
Aww hell naw they are! Have you seen those fuckers? They are literally built to kill shit.
>Amazing reflexes
>some use poisons
>some hide underground and drag prey down there
>webs. Nuff' said
>several limbs which can pierce soft flesh
>exo skeleton
How the heck are spiders chill?

>>46051793
Try and give it a read. A lot of people clearly dislike it.
Me, I apparently like Mary and Gary Stus, so I read the story because I have a sick craving to see what happens next and how the maincharacter becomes even more OP chapter after chapter
>>
>>46047449
>realistically

Man this is some real bait here, none of this is particularly more realistic than what happened aside from maybe the idea that the women wouldn't be attracted to the gob. None.
>>
>>46051853

Really? I thought that made quite a bit of sense, myself. Like, most LNs run on the idea that only the protagonists are remotely competent, with everyone else being retarded assholes.
>>
>>46051611
Wherever you reached level 100. In turn, you leveled up by going out and doing things that challenge you.
With each evolution, the monster grows stronger, and therefore is challenged by less. As a result, most monsters who simply live normally don't evolve more than once.

Additionally, the rate at which one gains levels scales with how many levels you gain during childhood. The more quickly a monster gains levels while young, the more rapidly they continue to level. This EXP bonus locks once the monster enters adolescence.
This means that monsters born in highly dangerous environments or outside of civilization (relative civilization, that is, i.e. abandoned orphans in the wild) will grow much faster than ones who grew up in a safe, stable environment.

For example: in RE:EX Quest, the MC's mother spent much of her childhood effectively under house arrest, because she was entirely too much of a troublemaker and her family didn't want her to get herself killed by wandering into a dungeon (again). As a result of this, her EXP rate was low, and at the age of 30-something was a second-tier monster on the standard progression with about 70 levels, despite having spent much of her life as a professional dungeon diver. She eventually reached tier 3 while trying to reign in her daughters (and in hysterical fear that her kids would reach tier 3 before her).
The MC meanwhile was just as much of a reckless troublemaker, but found a whole lot more trouble to get into very quickly, seeking out and fighting creatures two or three classes above her weight almost immediately after learning to walk (which is to say, while less than a week old).
Because of this, her EXP rate is maxed out, and she's a fourth-tier monster in an extremely abnormal progression with 21 levels and the blessings of several deities and demigods. She is about five months old.
>>
>>46051864
The real issue is that regardless of the MC in Re: Monster's ability carried over from his past life or any of his knowledge in particular, it's ridiculous to just say "dies to the horned rabbit" because dozens still get past that and evolve. Goblins wouldn't leave him if he realistically didn't have his eating ability either, maybe, but it's still a "strong leads the weaker" society. There's nothing particularly "realistic" about a bunch of humans necessarily being better than a goblin or elven group, either - that's just something coming from the fact that a lot of PCs in other stuff are Human anyway, so of course we would see the average PC as an exemplar human... when it's not realistic at all, really.

It's just anti-wank. Seems like half this thread is literally anti-wank, in general.
>>
>>46051821
In the quest, spider monstergirl (and boys) just chill in their forest* instead of going out and finding the biggest most challenging shit to find.

*attempting to loot ruins of their old civilization in said forest is one of few things that make them stop being chill and absolutely fucking destroy you
>>
>>46051914
She's not five months old, she's a little more than a year old now.
>>
>>46051821
>How the heck are spiders chill?
They mostly rely on all those natural advantages, so they don't need to work super hard to do things. Strong monsters level slower because they aren't challenged as much.
Basically, all the sweet overpowered monster races have LA, but the campaign's CR was geared for core.
>>
>>46051966
Looks like the pastebin is out of date then.
>>
>>46051938

Yeah, but those people have established power structures.

I mean, I don't really 'get' reincarnation fantasies, but I've read a bit of stuff like Mukoshi Tensei (Jobless Rebirth?) and so on. My main problem with stories like that is that they assume the protagonist is the only one sort of smart and dedicated enough to break the setting.

I mean, have you seen Grimgar? The kids in that one are still fighting goblins, because fighting is TERRIFYING. Every time you get into a fight, you might die. Sure they 'level up', but you can still die horribly.

If you're a weak pathetic creature, even if you're an especially smart one, you can still be killed by bad luck. And why wouldn't a band of adventurers come to kill everyone? We do that in RPGs all the time.
>>
>>46051970
>DnD terms
Now this I can understand.
But even with the LA the monsters would have to get more exp right? Unless their GM gave them a template for free for whatever reason
>>
>>46052004
Yeah, I mean I get reincarnation fantasies aren't exactly amazing or anything, but a lot of criticism seems to be just as poorly thought out as the source.

Grimgar is a good example of doing things relatively right though. Of course, even in a lower power setting, main characters like the party can't have TOO much bad luck, too, or there wouldn't be a story because they'd be in the ditch.

And the reason a band of adventurers hasn't come through is basically because the main character is in fact a goblin, regardless of how OP he is, and that, realistically, there wouldn't be so many good adventurers who last more than a day out of their hometown, cut down by those some closer nest of gobs. They aren't the main characters after all.
>>
>>46052007
>But even with the LA the monsters would have to get more exp right?
Think of it as everyone requires the same amount of exp, but strong species earn a fraction of the full exp for a given action and evolving reduces exp for all actions by a flat value.
Let's say a moth and a spider, both tier 1, each fight a wolf. Beating a lightning wolf is worth 12XP.
The moth, being a weak monster species, gets the full 12XP and gains 12 levels towards evolving.
The spider, being a stronger species, has an innate - 50%XP multiplier, so it gains 6 levels.

Advancing to tier 2 imposes a flat -10 to all XP gain.
A tier 2 moth fighting that wolf would gain 2 levels, because while it's now much stronger than before, a moth is still a weak monster, so being a strong moth doesn't mean it completely outclasses the wolf.
A tier 2 spider gains no XP at all, because 12/2-10 < 0. Spiders are stronger than other monsters from the start, so a strong spider is too far ahead of the Wolf to get anything from killing it.
>>
>>46052320
Alrighty but how would you determine if a race was stronger or not?

Though I like the idea of 1 exp being equal to 1 level.. I will of course have to adjust the exp gained but still
>>
>>46039380
This setting went down hill really quickly and is strangely japanese, in that the author doesn't believe chemical inducement counts as rape.

It's useless for gaming with.
>>
>>46052320
Continuing that analogy, Lyra continues to level like crazy despite the spider's innate -50%XP because she fought the wolf, got bored, and moved on to fighting bears and kobolds, then after evolving kept going and fought freaky shadow-bears, lizardmen, giant bears, entire packs of wolves, most of a pack of Werewolves (most of them tier 2-3 monsters themselves), a hydra, a gryphon, several giant golems, and generally whatever else comes to hand.
She beats the multiplier by fighting things with XP scores balanced for the tier above her and through sheer volume

>>46052397
There's no hard rule. It's basically just "could the average juvenile X beat an adult Y?" A T1 spider could still fuck up a T2 moth, so obviously spiders as a race are above moths. Repeat that for most of the other available Xs and Ys and you get a totem pole of powerlevels.
>>
>>46052487
I might just use the HD of the creature as exp. You defeat a pig? Well that's worth 1 exp
>>
>>46039380
I was reading the manga, and honestly I'm at the point where I don't care if I see another update. I prefered this Chuuni shit before it got all "elven rape slave" on me. The Adventures of Main Character the Protagonist and his Goblin Wu Tang Clan was fine, but now he's just collecting bitches instead of superpowers.

Is it just me, or is there a sudden huge influx of "main character reborn or otherwise transported to fantasy universe" anime/manga? Overlord, Grimgar, GATE, Konosuba, that manga where the guy is reborn as a slime and this shit are just the examples I'm aware of right now.

Can't we just have "we live in a fantasy world" without it being a) a MC from our world or b) a Dragon Quest setting with the DEMON KING and LEGENDARY HERO GUY.

Whatever happened to shit like Lodoss War?
>>
>>46052631
Heavenly Jewel Master is somewhat of a fantasy world in which the MC is just a kid who was lucky enough to get a magical black pearl from a manticore..
>>
>>46052631

Honestly, the main problem with a lot of these stories is creative cowardice and the lack of willingness to take risks.

I mean, I bet I could make a high school battle harem really interesting by throwing in serious relationship drama, battles with actual consequences and so on. It's what Urobochi Gen does all the time. He makes each episode end on a "HOLY SHIT WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENS NOW" that keeps people coming back.

Seriously, start with the impossible and work your way from there. Each novel, think of one thing that must not happen, and have it happen.
>>
>>46053005
It's more like creative bankruptcy. All of the chuunishit being churned out of japan these days exists, not to tell a story, but to exist as sad wish fulfillment for all the NEETs and otaku who believe that they'd be super outgoing and popular, if only they lived in a world of slimes and goblins.

It's gotten to the point where there's an entire subgenre of this shit devoted to making fun of or otherwise deconstructing the genre itself, like Konosuba (MC is still incompetent in fantasy dream world) or Grimgar (our party of adventurers are shitters and don't know what they're doing).
>>
>>46053336

It's not really their fault. I've checked Top Web Fiction, and it's fucking awful. East and West are just as bad. Hey, you know what are the top Web Novels in Japan right now! Let me check!

#1 The Otherworlder’s Handbook
#2 The Diary of an 'Apx40' Sage's Otherwordly Life
#3 The Other Side of the Last Boss~The Strongest Hidden Boss=He Reincarnates into an Evil God, But Since No One has Come After 1,000 Years, He Decides to Go to School~
#4 My ability, is of average value isn’t it!
#5 The Support Manages the Adventurer Parties!!

Here's the adult ones:

#1 I’m a Sex Slave if I Lose
#2 No, an Ugly Woman is Impossible
#3 Taking back the Princess in the Different World, I Raped Little Girls' Pussy With My Big Dick
#4 The Making of a Family: An Adolescent Middle School Boy, a Chill Big Breasted Widow As His Non-Biological Mother, and Her Tomboy and Big Breasted College Student Daughter Making Love Story
#5 Manager of the Girls’ Dormitory

Jesus Christ, some of our Quests are highbrow literature compared to this.
>>
>>46053407
>I’m a Sex Slave if I Lose
>No, an Ugly Woman is Impossible
>Taking back the Princess in the Different World, I Raped Little Girls' Pussy With My Big Dick
>The Making of a Family: An Adolescent Middle School Boy, a Chill Big Breasted Widow As His Non-Biological Mother, and Her Tomboy and Big Breasted College Student Daughter Making Love Story
>Manager of the Girls’ Dormitory
Glorious nippon litterature. We could learn so much from that culture :^)
>>
>>46052631
Yeah I noticed that too.

Hell, sometimes it's there but it matters /jack fucking shit/.
In one xianxia novel it's mentioned that MC is reincarnation of a guy from our Earth. Once in the first chapter. And then not a single fucking reference to that fact. Nothing. EVER.

Another went for a parody which I find hilarious
>guy is playing MMO
>finds some rare skillbook
>suddenly blacks out
>finds himself falling through the sky, with the skillbook
>figures out he's in one of those scenarios, gets excited
>the world proceeds to erase him
>the book falls and bonds with a street urchin, who is the actual main character
>>
>>46053407
>check top web fiction
>first thing I notice is that Worm is still in the top three after over two years
>right below Twig by the same author

How long do you think it'll be before that fandom dies down? I fucking loved Worm, and I'm enjoying Twig, but jesus people.
>>
>>46053478
I never really got that far into that story.. Though from spoilers it does sound like it could be cool at later chapters
>>
>>46053478
>xianxia
Whats the best system to use if I want this genre into a game?
>>
>>46049675
I would have the characters behave with their own motivations rather than be just a tool for the MC/author to powerwank with. There, saved just like that.

>>46053407
Uweh, Japan needs an intervention. Nothing but reborn fetish and wank material. In other words, jacking off and wishing you were someone else. I've read some of those too, and they're shit. If they were posted as quests here I would loudly complain. Wish-fulfillment is unhealthy, especially with quality as low as it is.

Putting aside how terrible the source material is, the only problem with the system (apart from how it's undeveloped) is the chargin. The system appeals to people who love chargin and it would probably be a good system for it. But if there is a world where anyone can be come as powerful as they want simply by putting themselves at risk and trying hard, and you throw in the ability of creatures to live hundreds of years, why are there not gods walking around? Why are there not power hungry creatures going from town to town mudering everything in their path for sweet gains? The MC /eats/ his own men for MUH GAINS and everyone just cheers him on.

The system creates settings where creatures have more to gain from killing everything they see then working as part of a culture. But the explosive powergains only apply to whoever the author wants them to. If you want to play a game with a system created for mad chargin, then you actually have to stay true to the mad chargin. Anything less is dishonesty to the nature of your own setting.
>>
>>46053569
High power and anime stuff.
>>
>>46054019
well yeah but I was thinking like what system would be best to get this feeling? Exalted?
>>
>>46053896
>Wish-fulfillment is unhealthy,
Marche Radiuju, pls go
>>
>>46053896
That's MC's unique consumption.
For everybody else, training with each other is good enough and renewable, as opposed to gladiatorial fights. Teamwork also allows to murder bigger monsters outside, leading to more XP and maybe loot.
>>
>>46053896
> But if there is a world where anyone can be come as powerful as they want simply by putting themselves at risk and trying hard, and you throw in the ability of creatures to live hundreds of years, why are there not gods walking around?
Diminishing returns. After a certain point, legitimate risk becomes hard to find, and that could still be well below the threshold of "god".
>Why are there not power hungry creatures going from town to town mudering everything in their path for sweet gains? The MC /eats/ his own men for MUH GAINS and everyone just cheers him on.
Because after a certain point, killing peasants stops being lucrative source of power and before that point becomes too dangerous to bother doing. Also the MC eating power is exclusive to him, and too my knowledge they don't know that he consumed other goblins.
>The system creates settings where creatures have more to gain from killing everything they see then working as part of a culture
That's kinda what separates people from common animals from monsters. The degree of interdependence on other members of the species.
>>
>>46039380
ALRIGTH FAGGOTS WANT TO KNOW HOW THIS WORLD EVEN WORKS?

HERE.

The superpowers are not just strength, they are divine blessings. that kinda work like stats but everyone just sees them different in a way they can understand i mean how the fuck can an animal decide between +20% spd and +15%str?

This world works both as an RPG like FFS and D&D Mastered by bored Gods. Remember how in any JRPG you get a shrimp of a kid that ends up killing dragons by himself? in this world the strength to do weird shit come from the gods, and they give it if you do/are something interesting enough.

That's why the brat can end so strong. because as far as the story concerns he doesn't stop each town to kill rats for five days. He goes on killing progressively stronger motherfuckers without rest. The brat kept it interesting for the gods and they say "Neat faggot here you go enjoy your kamehemeha slash".

This is why slaughterhouse workers are not unstoppable juggernauts after killing dozens of cows daily for years. The thing got stale and the Gods said Fuck this boring mortalfag. And the diminishing returns diminished more until they where worth less than shit.

Put simple :
Kill a dragon with your bare hands and eat its fucking heart-> Serious shit like the power to breath fire
Kill hundreds of the same kind of lizard for "xp" -> lose the gods attention.
>>
>>46054095
>Exalted
No. No.
Exalted is not a best system for anything and is only passable for it's own setting due to how integrated they are to each other.

Use Anima.
>>
>>46054306
This guy might just the the type of god who I would want to worship.. in that world at least
>>
>>46054306
As for rules. this would be a very hands on game that could get shitty very fast. Munchkins and powergamers would get nothing because power ups are graded on how interesting their shit is. Killing something weaker than you will get you nothing. you need to do interesting crap.

A kid got swallowed by a dragon and somehow stabbed his way out. that asshole gets a cool as fuck present.
A general somehow pulled a win while outnumbered 10 to 1 Damn right he gets his int bonus.

Grinding serves nothing, and the DM has to give out blessings depending on the situation, there's gonna be a flame war of people screaming about who deserves more than others.
>>
>>46054432
what if you just start out getting like.. 10 exp for a bunny. The next time you kill the bunny you get 9, then 8, 7 etc. Until you get nothing at all except meat?
But then how about abilities? How would you allow players to get those? (if at all)
>>
>>46054359
Its what the novel and manga run on. if you want a game its your thing
>>
>>46049675
>more or less any main character from any xianxia novel.
Bullshit.
While retarded and OP, most MCs from xianxia are at worst violent,arrogant and impossibly lucky.
They aren't rapist dickheads who pretend they are good people. At least I've read a dozen and I haven't seen any that are. Slight asshole tendencies at worst.
The flaw of xianxia is that anyone who isn't the MC are almost always full retard. Enemies of the MC are always full retard.
>>
>>46054506
Depends on what they do or accomplish. I mean, yes there's bound to be arguing about who deserves how much, but from an a outsider's standpoint how would you do it?

Most boons i would give to those punching above their height, at least for instant benefits. Say a low level ranger somehow managing to kill a mid-level monster, if it's hide is tough, give his arrows more piercing, if it was fast either make him or his projectiles faster...
Of course with enough time and dedication, you could just throw a few token bonuses to tracking or night vision long with levels.

The fact that they abandoned their town for adventure or something is enough to give them a little extra, if only for the promise of new stuff happening.
>>
>>46052133
>Grimgar is a good example of doing things relatively right though
>grimgar
>doing things right

It's literally people doing the dumbest shit then wondering why they are failing so hard.
There's a massive difference between "shit I might die fighting is scary" and "I'm a bow user I better start using my daggers and run to the front line. Healer what the fuck are you doing being in the back and healing get your ass to the front and help me tank!"
>>
>>46054909
>i only play MMOs the post
>>
>>46055278
When your setting is based on MMOs, and the characters are all people who played MMOs then yeah maybe your characters should be a little less retarded.
>>
>>46055349
>setting is based on MMOs, and the characters are all people who played MMOs
Everyone always claims this about Grimgar but I still haven't seen any actual proof it's straight based on an MMO, and it's been confirmed that they don't actually level like a "game" at all.
>>
>>46055399
>Literally arbitrary "classes"
>Literally group composition based on arbitrary "classes"
There is no reason why a wizard can't wear armor other than DM/Author fiat. Because "balance".
If it's not based on a game, there wouldn't be a need for "balance".
>>
>>46055461
So if for a narrative reason a mage needs to wear cloth, such as, "metal interferes with magic" it's gotta be based on a game because that's an attempt at balancing?

Sure man.
>>
>>46055662
> it's gotta be based on a game because that's an attempt at balancing?
Yes, because that thought process literally only exists because of rpgs for balance reasons, which are a type of game.
It's arbitrary, you might as well say that wizards must walk around naked because wearing clothes out of shame and only the pure may use magic.
>>
>>46055713
>because that thought process literally only exists because of rpgs for balance reasons
Yeah, definitely. You're totally right about this, anon

not to mention it's even succeeded at balancing games most of the time
>>
>>46055798
You literally can't post any source of "metal interferes with magic" pre D&D
You've lost this argument fag, admit it.
>>
>>46055662
What about jewelry? Coins? If it's the "iron repels fey and magic in general", why not bronze? Why can't they wear leather?
>>
>>46055840
>>46055856
Well, can you source any cases of magicians wearing much armour before D&D anyway?
>>
>>46056117
Nice try, but "mages don't wear armor" and "mages -can't- wear armor" are two entirely different things.
>>
>>46054095
Legends of the Wulin
All you need to do is change what the numbers mean so a 33 goes from cutting a wood support beam to cutting a mountain
>>
>>46056156
In fact, you could probably suggest that the idea of a wizard wearing plate in the first place is a construction of D&D and other games by way of wanting higher AC.

Mages can wear armour. But it's tradition that they don't, anyway. As far as we know there IS nothing stopping Shihoru from grabbing a chest plate aside from perhaps the actual cost of it.
>>
>>46053478
Desolate Era has the main character reincarnate in another world but it is rarely brought up after the first chapter and more importantly makes sense due to the settings multiversal cosmology

Earth is part of a much much larger multiverse we just don't know it
>>
>>46055840
what if you found some metal that could amplify magic? Like something that could conduct arcane powers super good or something
>>
so how would you guys do the whole divine blessings and protections from the gods? I mean we have both demigodt, gods and greater gods. What if you get a protection of fire from all three gods? Or is there only one god of ex. fire?
>>
so it's like Risk but in a fantasy world?

I mean the goblin dude is overtaking the world through business.. right?
Thread replies: 121
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.