[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do we save Magic?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 3
File: 1457656552329.jpg (32 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
1457656552329.jpg
32 KB, 223x310
How do we save Magic?
>>
>>46037709
by working out what's wrong with it to begin with
>>
>>46037709
Make some angels that look like men for once.
>>
Don't buy expensive cards, don't play in expensive tournaments
>>
>>46038484

How dare you insult baneslayer?!

She's perfect
>>
Better art, better flavor, less insane power level swings
>>
We kill the Batman
>>
get rid of mark jewswater
>>
>>46037709
we dont mtg is already a great game
>>
>>46037709

abolish the reserve list and flood the market with reprints of the rares shit.
>>
>>46037709

Make it an LCG like all modern (non-Japanese) card games. The 'collectible' thing has run its course. Time to be a regular expandable card game.
>>
open up the design space. its boring having sets with only two or three mechanics. kill the reserved list have actually good modern masters like products once a year at normal prices or normal print runs to help older formats . lore wise stop focusing on planes walkers most of them are flat and boring go back to larger plots on single planes. print more novels
>>
>>46039236
LCG shills are the fucking worst. I wish they would shut the fuck and leave their LCG vs TCG bullshit in their own threads
>>
>>46037709
More shitposting on /tg/ is sure to do it
>>
The only way is to to organize tournaments, streams and events and become greater, bigger and more important for the community than SCG and its ilk.
Then and only then would Wizards listen to what the fuck you want. But right now those vendors keep the blood of Magic pumping, so Wizards caters to them.
Nothing more to it.
>>
>>46040176
Everything this guy said, except if you believe Rosewater they're going to run out of mechanics too soon
>>
Remove the reserved list.
>>
>>46041370
Then maybe they should stop throwing mechanics into the trash.
This has been the absolute worst design philosophy of Magic ever since the olden times. You know you can actually use a mechanic more than once, right Wizards?
>>
Reprint Innocent Blood for Modern
>>
>>46037709
WotC needs to take a hint from Konami, yes terrifying I know but they need to reprint the expensive cards. Magic essentially doesn't reprint strong cards, Zendikar fetches are 50+$, Snapcaster is 50$ Liliana otv is 80$ goyf is 125$ because a mythic from a 10 dollar pack ain't gonna do shit to make cards cheaper make a god damn snapcaster starter deck for 20$
>>
>>46041457
It's because of draft/newbies/marketing principles over raw, fun game mechanics.
Under their current philosophy, mechanics can only return when a set is designed around the mechanic. Too many mechanics can confuse newer players, so they limit it to Madness, Delerium, Skulk, etc.
Cycling would be sweet in Innistrad, it even fits mechanically with Delerium, but since it's not part of the 4-5 mechanics they chose to do this set, they won't do it. Regardless of how simple the mechanic is, if it's not evergreen or the focus of the set, it won't comes back.
Hybrid mana? Gotta wait til return to Lorwyn.
-1/-1 counters? Has to be the focus of the set, sorry.
Threshold? What's that?

Also, constructed and draft have extreme conflicting interests.
>>
>>46041624
The problem is that its so late that established players have this expectation that high costs are part of the game, and would be out a lot of value. I would be fine with my Death and Taxes deck getting reprinted, but I would also like to see everything else get reprinted at the same time, otherwise I cant ever trade out.. Its not so much about real value, as it is relative value in the context of magic.
>>
>>46041732
>too many mechanics can confuse players
>what is a magic set if not 200+ unique games pieces

MaRo really needs to shut the fuck up.
>>
>>46041732
But the thing is, they keep reuisng the same few mechanics rather than trying to do new things with existing ones.

Take Prowl for example. Its a really versatile mechanic, but it appears on a handful of Rogues for one block.

The nees to be more willing to make callbacks to those more minor mechanics, rather than making 3 new ones each block.
>>
>>46037709
By pandering to a bunch of people who don't play the game in order to get mainstream media brownie points and pat ourselves on the back
>>
File: image.png (123 KB, 223x311) Image search: [Google]
image.png
123 KB, 223x311
>>46041906
This here card is one of my favorite new cards. It just seems really cool, really fun to play with, and it's pretty unique art/flavor-wise

Is it limited playable? I don't think so. Not even in assault formation.
Is it constructed playable? Hell no.
Is it draft playable? I honestly don't know, I'd hope so but it honestly seems underwhelming even in draft.

Such a cool card, and if it were uncommon, I almost guarantee it would be more powerful. But it's a common, so it's perfectly okay to have it be unusable.

Why have it be 4 cmc? Because Wizards is shit.
>>
>>46042035
Why would the do that when they can dissect interesting mechanics and continually repurpose their component parts for increasing less interesting new mechanics?
>>
>>46038484
Malach of the Dawn says hi.
Also, if we're to get more dude angels, we'd better get more female demons as well.
>>
>>46042784
I have no idea.

Honestly, do we really need another mechanic for the new Red/White angry army faction when we already have Battlecry, Battalion, Exalted, and Raid?
>>
>>46042136
That thing could have easily been 1U and it still wouldn't have touched Constructed.

The argument Wizards always brings is Muh Draft, but really, I don't think people particularly enjoy playing with 99% shit and would have just as much, if not more fun if most cards would at least be somewhat good.
>>
Magic is fine, at least we don't have Ben Brode.
>>
File: 1349670420571.jpg (42 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
1349670420571.jpg
42 KB, 375x523
>>46037709
/thread
>>
>>46043814
I want that more than anything else.
>>
>>46042984
Well, for a draft, you could argue that if most of the cards are bad, it doesn't matter.

Trouble is, that just means the cards aren't as fun and don't have as many interesting effects. If anything, draft is a place where you want those weird effects or efficient cards to make you pause and debate going multicolor or switching entirely
>>
The only problem I have with Magic is the price.
>inb4 poorfag
yeah yeah, I'm a poorfag, but that doesn't make the prices not retarded.
>>
>>46037709
GAS THE KIKES
PLAY DREDGE
>>
>>46042920
There's Lady Orca
>>
Stop designing around low powerlevel limited.
Start designing around higher powerlevels in limited that directly translate to constructed rather than just locking 99% of constructed viable cards behind rare and mythic cards.
>>
>>46043107
You say that when Ben Brode has done literally nothing that Maro hasn't or wants to do. And at least Brode has some kind of perverse charisma, Rosewater sounds like one of Santa's elves
>>
>>46037709
Don't let lands become like $50 or something
>>
>>46037709
>go along to draft nights
>always find myself building white creature buff decks
>support triggers, board wide buffs (inspiring charge, make a stand) to fuck over opponents when blocking, etc
>any time I try to make other decks, everything seems far too expensive for its benefits, or too rare to fit more than 1-2 of into a deck

The power creep is real. They've made mana costs for everything a million times more expensive than in Theros.
>>
Remove mythic rarity
Abolish the reserve list
Stop printing shitty low powerlevel cards for "draft", people like good cards in draft too
>>
>>46045330
It sounds like you are new, because power creep means cards are getting better but you then say cards are more expensive and then you imply that Theros was good at all
>>
>Stop printing shitty low powerlevel cards for "draft", people like good cards in draft too
This basically. You can print powerful commons and uncommons without making it unbalanced.
>>
ITT: Niggas without a shred of an idea how to make a card game that lasts longer than half a year.
>>
Refocus on the color pie

White: makes dudes and buffs them
Green: ramps and combat tricks
Red: bolts and aggro
Blue: non-combat tricks "I play thought kno- no you dont"
Black: removal and general hate
>>
>>46048484
>>46048484
REPORTED
LITERALLY
REPORTED
COPS CALLED
FUCKING
FBI NOTIFIED
>>
>>46037709
Besides their awful reprint policies, WoTC is doing a fine job.
>>
>>46048484
Jesus christ thank god retards like you have no control over any card game
>>
>>46037709
From what? Casual kitchen table play is flourishing and tournament numbers are pretty much highest ever.
>>
>>46048484
>Green not making dudes
you need to stop
>>
>>46044020
That only works if ALL the cards are "bad", instead every set contains a few ridiculous cards that or may not be answerable in a card pool, especially with basic removal being rare all the damned time. It's why both OGW and GFZ have high draft value black exiling removal at 4 and 6. the 6 is a 2 for 1, but still
>>
>>46038291
MaRo's plan to make it accessible to retards
>>
>>46037709
create sets where a good chunk of the rares and mythic rares are good cards. Not a set with five or six chase cards, and a shitload of junk rares.
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.