[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>What is Exalted? An epic high-flying role-playing game a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 24
File: 1445628660280.jpg (548 KB, 528x1416) Image search: [Google]
1445628660280.jpg
548 KB, 528x1416
>What is Exalted?
An epic high-flying role-playing game about reborn god-heroes in a world that turned on them.
Start here: http://theonyxpath.com/category/worlds/exalted/

>That sounds cool, how can I get into it?
Read the 3e core book (link below). For mechanics of the old edition, play this tutorial: http://jyenicolson.net/exalted/. It'll get you familiar with most of the mechanics.

>Gosh that was fun. How do I find a group?
Roll20 and the Game Finder General here on /tg/. With the new edition, though, chances are more games will crop up.

Resources for Third Edition
>3E Backer Core https://mega.nz/#!E1dRBBIa!ZbQG4IasYCJRli2bhgE2MOdWeFAeV3N1rqL9kAIGbNE
>Character Sheet & Init tracker: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByD2BL6J89Nick41YUk0RUt3YlU
>Just a charsheet w/o permission request shenanigans
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pfjmZKzcUqAX9mB58IAEUIFkZr8rq4CvdRRM4kzwwgU/edit?usp=sharing
>General Homebrew dumping folder: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0ByD2BL6J89NiQzdCWWFaY0c5Mkk&usp=sharing
>Collection of old 3e Materials, including comics and fiction anthologies https://www.mediafire.com/folder/t2arqtqtyyt28/Exalted_3Leak
>Charm Trees:
>Solar Charms: https://imgur.com/a/q6Vbc
>Martial Arts: https://imgur.com/a/mnQDe
>Evocations: https://imgur.com/a/TYKE4

Resources for 2.5 Edition:
>All books with embedded errata notes, as well as some extras: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/253ulzik1j9s5/Exalted
>Chargen software: http://anathema.github.io/
>Anathema homebrew charm files: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/pka3nz3vqbqda/Anathema_Files
>MA form weapon guide: http://www.brilliantdisaster.net/dif/ExaltedMA.html
>http://www.mediafire.com/view/ua7tanepy2jfkdp/Exalted_2nd_Ed_-_Return_of_the_Scarlet_Empress.pdf

Resources for 1e:
>https://www.mediafire.com/folder/9vp0e9id3by6m/Exalted_1e

What Virtue Flaws/other Great Curse manifestations have you played/seen played?
What was your favourite?
>>
Which Exalt Type (And caste inside it) make the best Husband's?
>>
>>46031097
Alchemical Moonsilver
>>
>>46031115
OP you have shit taste
>>
>>46031146
Would it help I didn't finish reading and assumed waifu?
>>
>>46031199
Yes. You may have a second try.
>>
>>46031097
Wood Aspect Dragonblooded, specifically an Outcaste. He's neither a filthy Anathema nor a half-remembered serial one night stand, he'll give his children a chance at Exaltation, with luck he'll show the caring and nurturing side of element of Wood and turn out a great dad, with less but still some luck (as far as his wife is concerned) he'll embody the virile and sensual side of his element and turn out a great lover, and being an Outcaste he won't bring a fuckhuge family of conniving bastards with him.
>>
Is there preference in Dynasties for specific breeds of DB? Like, do some only have/take Woods, and some only FFire and/or Wind, for example?
>>
>>46032396
The Houses try to marry within their Aspects, as they believe it increases exaltion chance.
>>
Do committed motes come from a specific pool, or can it be either?
>>
>>46032396
Every House has members of every Aspect. Every House aside from Nellens has a dominant Aspect, and people of the 'right' Aspect might be preferred when it comes to otherwise more or less equal Dragon-Blooded, but experience, achievements and connections are more important. The preferences that actually matter in the Realm are Dragon-Blooded>everyone else and, to a significantly lesser extent, Dynasts>Lost Eggs.
>>
>>46032443
>Every House has members of every Aspect.
Isn't V'neef completely pure so far?
>>
>>46032396

Yes, basically most of them have a preferred Aspect, like House Cynis is wood, but due to the nature of Exaltation, and the fact that they're all second cousins at best, you can basically get any type in any House. I think Nellens is the only one that doesn't have a clearly dominate aspect, and it's basically because they're the "Mortal House", with significantly less Dragonblooded in general then the others.
>>
>>46032434
It can be either. If you can attune/commit somewhere quiet you will almost always use Peripheral, but if you have a lot of charms that use anima levels you might want to commit with Personal so you don't have to rely as much on mote regen.
>>
>>46032458
I don't think that's the case, or rather I don't think it's stated anywhere one way or another. It might be mentioned somewhere that all of V'neef's own children have Exalted as Wood Aspects, but obviously the House doesn't consist entirely of V'neef's personal descendants.
>>
So apparently they're about halfway done with Indexing... remind me, how long has it been since they started again?
>>
>>46032522
3 years
>>
>>46032522
They started indexing couple of weeks ago, so I guess things have actually progressed in schedule for once.
>>
>>46032511
>but obviously the House doesn't consist entirely of V'neef's personal descendants.
Isn't that literally what V'neef is, currently?
>>
>>46032571

No, IIRC the Scarlet Empress went all "Here, have some older Dragonblooded and Lost Eggs, they're part of your house now."
>>
>tfw you'll never play exalted because can't into virtue flaw
I just
I don't know, don't get it?
>>
>>46032592
That's right, but V'neef is an experiment by the Empress on blood purity, and DBs believe aspect purity helps with that, so would she really give her some non-matching Lost Eggs?
>>
What race or whatever the Exalted equivalent is are these two?
http://i.4cdn.org/aco/1457212338218.jpg
>>
>>46032668
That would depend on who they are, what they are, and what they've done.
>>
>>46032668

Lunar and Rakasha. Or a slight mutation for pointed ears.
>>
>>46032668
Melissa Uran tended to draw pointy ears on characters for no reason, don't look into it too much.
>>
>>46032693
I think it's official art, so it should have a story behind it.
>>
>>46032718
>I think it's official art
It isn't. It's either from the april fools 'preview' of a fictional book, or its Exalted fan art from an artist who has done a lot of official work.
>>
>>46032712
I was more curious about what look like scales on the left one.
>>
>>46032637
>so would she really give her some non-matching Lost Eggs?
Yes. V'neef Risa is a canon example of this. Having some really pure-blooded Dragon-Blooded in the future might be nice, but the end of the day you need a whole bunch of Dragon-Blooded right now if you want to make it as a Great House, purity be damned.
>>
>>46032765
Could be a Lunar tell, wyld mutation, beastman ancestry, she could be a fae or created race or maybe she's been effected by sorcery.
>>
>>46032786
Shame, I was hoping for a reptile blooded race.
>>
>>46032863
Reptile beastmen exist. There's a tribe of them in the east in Ex3. The coexist with race of raitonmen, but breeding between the two is heretical.
>>
>>46033318
But do they have all the lore of a race to themselves?
>>
>>46033394
I'm not sure what you mean by race here. Beastmen in Exalted are humans with an animal or lunar in their family tree.
>>
>>46033472
Their own culture and history for a character to fit in to.
>>
What are some fun things you could do with a Terrestrial sorcerous working? A lot of the ideas I have feel like they'd belong to the higher circles.
>>
>>46033494
You mean you want a canon example? Because otherwise you can just add your own.
>>
>>46033609
Stop aging, make a place produce somewhat better/more foodstuffs, ward rodents etc pests from a farm, give a person eagle eyes
>captcha Guilty Sparks
>>
>>46033689
>Stop aging
Restoring someone to the prime of their youth is a SOLAR working, not ageing sure as fuck isn't Terrestrial. If it was, more than two Dragon-blooded would use it, rather than the numerous anti-ageing drugs they use.
>>
>>46033661
Yes, canon info or at least suggestions to get the PC story juices flowing.
>>
>>46033807
>Restoring someone to the prime of their youth is a SOLAR working
That's super-retarded, btw.
>>
>>46033807
Stopping aging and restoring someone to youth still aren't the same thing. There's no particular reason why the latter should be easier or equally easy as the former. I mean, much like putting out a fire is easier than restoring a burnt down house to the state it was in before the fire, stopping something from happening should be easier than undoing what's already happened, at least in my opinion. Aside from that, it's entirely possible that there are more ageless Dragon-Blooded around. Sorcery's supposed to be pretty rare, and while not aging is pretty sweet it isn't much of a consolation when someone stabs you in the chest, so it makes sense that there aren't too many such people around, but I don't think 3E core claims that the Empress and Mnemon are unique.
>>
>>46033807
There's living beings that don't age and creating a hybrid of two beings is explicitly terrestrial circle, so you totally can make someone unaging.
>>
>>46033807
>Restoring someone to the prime of their youth is a SOLAR
Bad fucking reading
But yeah, it's C1 at minimum.
>>
>>46034019
>>46034093
>not ageing sure as fuck isn't Terrestrial.
Come on guys, at least read all of the first sentence.
>>
>>46034132
Anon, I'm pretty confident that both of us did. I mean, neither post contains anything that implies a misreading or misunderstanding of your post.
>>
>>46034173
>Stopping aging and restoring someone to youth still aren't the same thing.
That kind of implies that this poster believed I thought it was.
>>
>>46034232
No, it implies that the difficulty of restoring someone to youth isn't relevant to how difficult stopping aging should be.
>>
>>46034264
It is literally the only relevant information we have.
>>
>>46035032
Except it's not relevant at all. Sorcery looks at how you do it, not just the end result. Making someone fly by giving them wings is terrestrial, but letting them levitate with their mind is Celestial, even if the end results are basically the same.
Similarly, just because one way of preventing someone from dying of old age (making them young again) is Solar doesn't mean another way of doing the same is Solar circle as well.
>>
So.

Another member in our party just limit broke and sent out letters to all the major dragonblood houses that she poured ALL their motes in. They're a linguistics supernal, and these letters are DESIGNED. basically every single linguistics charm that involves fucking with people was in these charms, and they're gonna FUCK SHIT UP.

We're talking turning the realm civil war into the realm scorched earth tactics.

She sent them by way of demon messenger yesterday, and i found out about them today. I'm a bureaucracy supernal who really really doesn't want this to happen.

What can i do? Any suggestions for how you could stop demon messengers sent out with letters that are to be personally delivered to each of the great dragonblood houses specifically designed to fuck them up? What can i do? I have almost all of the bureaucracy charms, and our party has both some crazy powerful people and tons of help from npcs and people and all sorts of shit.

The problem here is HOW. HOW could you possibly stop this? How can i stop 15 letters sent to different places that will arrive in the next few days scattered across the continent that, if even looked it, will GUARANTEE that the people who read them are FUCKED?

any suggestions? charms, sorcery, secret communication networks i don't know about yet because i should have read more of the lore?
>>
>>46035428
>What can i do?
Run, or take it up with UCS
>>
>>46035428

Why the fuck would the Houses just accept random mail delivered by fucking DEMONS?

They'll be killed at the doorstep, problem solved.
>>
>>46035428

Isn't there a Bureau charm that significantly slows the process of something? You may not be able to target the messengers themselves, but the Houses should count as Organizations. Make sure the letters don't get read for a while, infiltrate, and destroy them.

I could be wrong, though.
>>
>>46035468
Wouldn't be surprised if they were written like they came from Empress or smt
>>
>>46035428
>>46035475

Further, if you're a sorcerer and have Infallible Messenger, as well as the names of the recipients, send them a Messenger and try to persuade them NOT to open those ltters.
>>
>>46035488

Yeah, anything the Empress sends me is going to be read by at least 3 slaves before it gets to me, for literally the exact same reason, let alone a rando message delivered by a fucking demon.

No DB trusts the Scarlet bitch further than they can throw her, and lemme tell you, THAT FAT ASS AIN'T NO DIFFICULTY 3 FEAT OF STRENGTH.
>>
>>46035468
It would be dumb as hell if they just killed the demon, shrugged their shoulders and threw out the letter. Letting some random slave or ill-favored mortal relative to read the letter aloud might be a smart move for people who know something about all the weird, powerful, scary shit in Creation and actually have a reasonable basis for assuming that some of that shit might be aimed at them, though.
>>
>>46035544
I imagine Dynasts kill random demons on their grounds all the fucking time, I mean, it's pretty common as a method of assassination and the Dragon-blooded make the Borgias look like the Jetsons.

Seriously, why is this a thing? Of those 15 letters, maybe two of them do any damage at all. The rest are either not read, not read by anyone important or read by someone who spends enough willpower/motes to ignore it. I'm not sure how delicate people think the Realm is here, but it's not so delicate that a single letter is going to fuck anything up.
>>
>>46035723
>why is this a thing?
aaaand read the rest of the message with the announcer's voice from Last Week Tonight
>>
>>46035758
I'm guessing that's some kind of USA thing?
>>
>>46035723
I imagine Dynasts also get messages delivered by demons, if not all the time, then at least semi-frequently. All of those letters will probably be read, maybe even by someone important. You're right about the Realm not being that delicate, though. Most Great Houses also don't have one clearly defined leader and probably won't go along with the sudden insanity of one of their influential members. Mnemon is probably the only one whose House would obediently follow her lead, and she's also probably one of the least likely people in Creation to fall for something like that.
>>
>>46035823
Last Week Tonight with John Oliver, kinda yeah I suppose, though I watch it with friends in Finland
>>
>>46035758
Come on guys! It's R768!
>>
>>46035889
I don't get it
>>
>>46035901
He's a preachy british twat who demeans everyone and acts smug as hell to be funny.
>>
>>46035933
Sure, let's go with that.
>>
>>46035848
I watch it in scotland, it's not as good as the Colbert report was, but it's better than what we've got currently.
>>
>>46035835
I imagine with with most dragon-blooded having slaves, the Realm having a working semaphore system, Wind Carried Words being a charm that exists and many sorcerers having Infallible Messenger that it might be considered gauche to send a demon to someone's home.
>>
>>46036047
ok cool these are all exactly what i needed
>>
>tfw only one post about Great Curse
Truly I have the shittiest topics.
>>
>>46039301
And shittiest images too.
>>
>>46039355
Seriously, can we please drop that as our default pic?
Use some official art or some demotivator or some shit, anything other than that.
>>
File: creation of volcano cutter.jpg (446 KB, 1375x900) Image search: [Google]
creation of volcano cutter.jpg
446 KB, 1375x900
>>46039483
>>
File: dawn_colour.jpg (434 KB, 800x1143) Image search: [Google]
dawn_colour.jpg
434 KB, 800x1143
>>46039496
>>
File: male black bald gold armour.jpg (129 KB, 610x412) Image search: [Google]
male black bald gold armour.jpg
129 KB, 610x412
>>46039507
>>
>>46039539
>>
File: Mirrorsong Gates.jpg (750 KB, 706x900) Image search: [Google]
Mirrorsong Gates.jpg
750 KB, 706x900
>>46039562
>>
File: Mirrorsong Palace.jpg (88 KB, 800x514) Image search: [Google]
Mirrorsong Palace.jpg
88 KB, 800x514
>>46039587
>>
>>46039609
Basically any of these.
>>
>80 / 8 / 15 / 9
Wow, this thread is dead.
>>
>>46036047
Personally I would say it depends on the context. Your crazy uncle who happens to be a sorcerer and is considered very useful to your house could likely easily get away with it.

The newbie sorcerer who gives a blood ape a message is likely to piss a lot of people off trying.
>>
>>46041174
Well yeah, I said it was gauche, not that nobody did it.
>>
Do you guys do anything interesting with your anima banners? Use them in stunts or buy evocations for them?
>>
>>46043203
we ALWAYS use them in stunts if we can. So much fun to be able to just fully make up stuff for a stunt and not have to come up with something that makes sense
>>
>>46043539
Any fun examples?
>>
>>46043669
Not him, but anyone with an animal banner can stunt it to mimic your attacks, my groups Dawn caste likes to have his Lion anima leave behind claw marks where he hits
>>
>>46043807
That's very cool. My character's anima banner manifests as rings of Old Realm, and I'm thinking of using them in stunts like the iron rings in films like Kung Fu Hustle; have them wrapped around his wrists to deflect blows or lend more weight to his.

I might write up some evocations for them, but I'm not sure what mechanical benefits I'd get for them that wouldn't be equally at home in Brawl. The sigils spell out the mandate of heaven.
>>
That ExalTwitch stream someone linked last thread was alright.
I need any actual games I can get, these threads barely have any cool stories about 3e.
>>
>>46039355
>>46039483
Post it before he does?
>>
>>46045585
There there. Will post if something interesting happens in this game I'll master in a couple days. So far, the most promising source of strange stuff is one of the characters whose build makes less and less sense the more I look at them. But the plot itself shouldn't be too wild. Gotta introduce them to the setting bit by bit you know.
>>
>>46045585
>ExalTwitch
Tell me more
(You'll have to call again)
>>
>>46046548
I've only seen the first video, some anon posted it last thread.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLiS0McnLDI6Q0PmHK9Z7W61UCjzx9HN2r
>>
>>46043669

had a swordsman that would leave an afterimage of the slash he did on every attack with his anima going totemic. So he'd go berserk attacking like crazy and basically go full zandatsu on them
>>
>>46043203
For stunts and general flavour, certainly.

My Twilight warrior-sorcerer has a spinning Dharmachakra with elongated spokes like spider-limbs. It starts to turn wildly when expends a lot of Essence, sending sparks and thunder. The limb-spokes curve viciously in, when he presses or threatens opponents or protectively, when defending. They leave ragged burnt claw-marks on the floor and walls, when he walks down the corridor. Demons that he caught in his anima or holds in servitude are winding and flowing between the spokes of the wheel, are gripped by limb-spokes - or impaled on them, writhing and moaning.

But where exactly does it say about Evocations for anima banners?
>>
is it me or is it way more common (at least compared to other ttrpgs) to join exalted game groups with all the players having totally different ideas on what standard the game should be held to?

like i sorta get it since i'm referring to online games and that's just a standard risk, but what about exalted makes it so fucking hard for many players to agree about anything in the books?
>>
>>46047463
Game draws from a million sources, so people come to the table with different ideas based on what they think is "most" important.

Then, entire splats were unplayable in 2e, so a lot of folks got the idea that their asspulls were higher quality than the official text.

And that equals, I'm right because I say so, go fuck yourself.
>>
>>46045585
Watching the first episode on youtube, it seems pretty solid thusfar.
>>
What ways there are to push Exalted slightly towards diversification of skills rather than overspecialization? Perhaps, more gentle than just constantly presenting every character with every type of challenge with punishing consequences for failure.
>>
File: Sand_by_GUWEIZ.jpg (33 KB, 564x381) Image search: [Google]
Sand_by_GUWEIZ.jpg
33 KB, 564x381
>>46047991
I mean, they don't have to be punishing failures? But if those skills never come up, there's no incentive to invest in them, so they'll be neglected.
>>
I know this is random but I am just buttmad at my friend who is completely dishonest about power level of Exalted, especially 3e
So I want to see if you guys are as stupid as him
40k universe would beat creation?
Agree or no?
Lets get stupid shit out of the way first, if you bring in first age exalted retardation than we must also count Empire during it's height or even before the fall and shit like Men of Iron, which is really bad for Creation.
Lets also count creation as a giant solar system sized planet or whatever since it's supposed to be an infinite plane or whatever. Warp and Essence work, just none of the how do settings combine bullshit, you know this is filler talk.
40k with it's solar system/planetary destruction weapon all together would completely and absolutely annihilate Creation, perfect defenses are only so limited and can't perfect defend all of the Exterminatuses coming their way, motes are not fucking infinite, Exalted are not all fucking first age Essence 10 exalted especially when even in first age most of them were like Essence 6-8, there are tons more marines, necrons, tyranids, whatever than Exalted, the best a single exalted can do damage wise is Total Annihilation and even Sword of Creation pales in comparison to destruction that fucking single faction in 40k can dish out.
Primodrials are cucks and so are Gods, Chaos Gods and C'Tan can do a lot more active and meaningful shit than both of these faggots.

Discuss.
>>
>>46048262

Nah.
>>
>>46048262
>Discuss
Nope
>>
File: sandra-duchiewicz-summer.jpg (104 KB, 750x1200) Image search: [Google]
sandra-duchiewicz-summer.jpg
104 KB, 750x1200
>>46048262
>40k universe would beat creation?
>Discuss.

Rather have dead thread.
>>
>>46048262
I'll humor you though you seem to be really just wanting to say 40k will stomp everything, so you might want to turn down your fanboy love a bit.

Sheer size of the 40k universe will obviously give it to them because they have numbers that Exalted cannot conceive of. I mean the Solars were cast down by the more numerous if less powerful Dragonblood in the Usurpation so nobody will claim they are all powerful.

However the Exalted have some bullshit tricks up their sleeve outside of direct combat with them. The easiest go-to is Sorcery, especially workings of the Solar level. Sure it'll take a while but I'd imagine they could survive in hiding long enough to complete a Solar 3 working that can "Make subtle alterations to the metaphysics of the entire cosmos" they can literally tweak reality to make living in it impossible or awful for the various denizens of the 40k universe. Or disable the various scientific principles that power their technology.

In a straight combat, 40k would crush through sheer numbers but if the Exalted were intelligent enough (which they would likely be) to try other means it then turns into a tossup that would be rather interesting to play out in some sort of sick crossover game.
>>
>>46048262
The Unconquered Sun could literally solo all of 40k it would just take him a while.
>>
>>46048412
I don't, 40k is stomped by many things, but that faggot had audacity to claim that all of 40k unified, Imperium, Eldar, C'Tan, Chaos Gods etc. would loose to Exalted

And yes I've thought of even Solar Sorcery, the thing is that 40k has same argument on it's side with creatures like Tzentch, Emps, Men of Iron, C'tan etc. who could together tweak metaphysics and create technologies like WebWay and beyond to completely fuck shit up.

This isn't about 40k, this is more about people overstating Exalted power levels. People like to boast and claim that Exalted is oh so cool and rule of cool and powerful and all that, but in reality Exa1lted is a giant Hoax, especially 3e the powerlevels are not as high as the fans want you to think it is especially considering that even in first age shit like essence 10 solars were rare.

There is nothing wrong with Exalted being of the powerlevel it really is, and it is undoubtedly higher power level than a ton of settings, but people need to stop pretending that all Solars can solo countries and perfect defend planetary attacks and believe me, I've seen people claim shit like that.
>>
>>46048516
Unconquered Sun is shit, he can stat wise be fucking defeated by Deathlords, with enough wit a fucking solar circle could beat him 2.5. In 3e there are no stats for him yet.
Unconquered sun could do absolutely nothing against the planetary annihilation that all of 40k factions together would rain upon creation.
>>
>>46048595
He is literally rules wise completely indestructible and untouchable by any negative effect as long as he keeps to his Temperence.

He also does infinite damage when he attacks as long as he keeps to his Valor.
>>
>>46048574
Bro you need to calm down, you're talking about a game of pretend on an online anime imageboard. Cool your jets.

Exalted has a very high personal power level, 3e has curbed this somewhat and you won't see them taking on a million warriors at once anymore but they are still very powerful on a one to one basis. I'd bet on a Solar in a 1v1 than most other characters from other universes simply because they do have perfects and shit. But again, the DBs overthrew them in the First Age so in canon they are shown to be defeatable by large hordes.

But as for perfect defending planetary attacks, that shit is actually right. If a Solar has a perfect defense you can destroy all of Creation, the planet, the galaxy or what have you and they'd survive however much damage that is thrown at them. Sure they might then die from the after effects if they don't have the proper abilities, namely Survival but throwing an infinite damage attack at a Solar with a perfect defense won't really work.
>>
>>46048611
Again, Unconquered Sun can be exploited, he can be defeated, you have a fucking book in which fucking death of Unconquered sun is a possible plot point, there are charms that deal allow you to keep using Holy Charms if Sun is to get fucking killed.

Believe me, when you have C'Tan, Chaos Gods, Imperium, Men of Iron and rest of faggots figuring shit out, especially Men of Iron, there is literally no way they won't find a way to slay the Sun with trickery.

This is what I am talking about, you faggots are dishonest about your setting or you do not know enough of it. Shit like Planescape and Elder Scrolls are higher power level on the higher echelons of the setting than Exalted.
>>
>>46048650
>but throwing an infinite damage attack at a Solar with a perfect defense won't really work.
The thing is that Solars don't have infinite motes, Solars are not all essence 10 with all charms that proteft them from all the shit that comes after Exterminatus and it's not one fucking ray, it's multitudes of giant chunks of Imperial ships shooting deathstar rays.

And yeah I know it's game of pretend, sorry I just had to vent this out. You can ignore me now if you want.
>>
>>46048655
The only way to exploit him is to break his Temperence, which while completely possible, it is also completely possible that he never does since all his Virtues, at least in 2nd Edition, were literally infinite.

So yeah, the Unconquered Sun could very possibly just fight the entire 40k universe for Eternity until they're all dead. Especially if they destroyed everything that he has ever known beforehand.
>>
>>46048674
What's funny is that 3e actually made perfect defenses more powerful in this regard since they know allow you to ignore infinite damage attacks for the entire fight after a single activation.
>>
>>46048692
Sure, if you ignore power levels of all the beings in 40k and the fact that computing powers of Men of Iron trump all of first age technology he could.

What I am saying is that if Exalted was as powerful as people claim it is this would not even be a discussion, people should stop pretending that Exalts are as powerful as Nobilis.
>>
>>46048739
See now you are exactly the same as your friend but with 40k. You cannot even begin to fathom that something could beat them even when their powerset is

>be invincible
>do infinite damage

Just because that character is from a system you are currently angry at. I even admitted that they might be able to be exploited but on the other side of the coin they could stick to their guns and not be tricked because one of their whole concepts is being god damn perfect so it is quite possible that they could just slowly burn through the near limitless number of soldiers, gods, what have you.
>>
>>46047463
It's the breadth of the setting, the fluctuating tone of the books themselves, and simple personal preference.

Go look at the 2e book, at each of the inter-chapter stories. There's several of them that don't fit with each other. Is this a game about helping villages and local gods, or about riding skeleton-worms over the tops of armies? What about the mech combat?

It's just an issue with the setting, and what part of it interests each player.

>>46048262
This is a very complicated question that is best summed up as "No one cares, because they would never interact. And that's a good thing, because the resolution points wouldn't be to ANYONE'S liking."

Also, it's a purely stupid fucking question because the myriad factions of 40k would never ally to face Creation. So the question isn't "Would 40k beat creation?"

If we want to be pedantic, fuck you, Creation wins because it's infinite. Fuck your shitty "I guess it's just a single planet the size of X." No, it's a new Realm of Reality, like the Warp, Materium and the Webway. It would be 100,000 years of war, but Creation would win.

It doesn't work as a question because it's the pitting of two fundamentally different understandings and aspects of reality against each other. It's Divine Power and Magic against Impossible Odds and Science Fiction. They don't interact.

Meanwhile, you claim that the Gods of Exalted can be beaten, while forgetting that SO HAS EVERY GOD IN 40K.

Honestly, I think it would never end. Both sides, being completely unable to grasp the functions the other uses, would never be able to take the proper moves to finish it. It would just be an endless War. So I guess 40k would win the tonal battle.
>>
>>46048262
I don't think you comprehend just how ridiculously over the top bullshit Exalted is designed to be. Take the Unconquered Sun, who is literally perfection. The Unconquered Sun has infinite stats, does infinite damage, and is explicitly immune to whatever bullshit you throw at him when he actually gets off his ass.

There explicitly exists a combo, the Creation-Slaying Kick, which allows you to punch an entire universe to death. The Unconquered Sun knows every charm in this combo because he's super awesome and knows everything.

The Unconquered Sun gets off his ass, takes 0 damage from any physical attack, and ignores any mental attack because lol fuck you. He then punches the entire Warp to death at once, again because lol fuck you. Then he punches whatever's left to death. Then he goes back to playing the Games of Divinity instead of doing fucking anything at all.

Total elapsed time: 10 seconds.
>>
How do you guys balance spells you make? I'm having a bit of trouble deciding how big the radius should be, or what the damage should look like.
>>
>>46049488
>Terrestrial: fuck up a person
>Celestial: fuck up a group
>Solar: fuck up an army
>>
>>46049494
Gotcha.
>>
>>46048262
Havesh: Who cares? I just shanked this guy who was sitting around on a chair all day and took his place. He had so many people praying to him that I had to constantly burn massive quantities of essence to keep from exploding.

Now everyone is calling me Emperor and asking for orders.
>>
>>46049494
>>Terrestrial: fuck up a person
Counterpoint: Death of Obsidian Butterflies.
>>
>>46049583

"fuck up" here is relative.

DoOB hurts groups well, but one casting of DoOB isn't going to send a dangerous battlegroup running for the hills, whereas an army that eats a Death Ray is in trouble even if it's composed of demons and led by a general.
>>
>>46049137
I've gotta agree with the guy, the Exalted powerlevels are nowhere near as high as fans and devs claim it to be.

A dev interview mentioned that it's possible to kill the Unconquered Sun through sheer violence simply by destroying Shinma that govern perfection.

"Or perhaps you decide that to fight the sun, you must destroy the concept of perfection, so you figure out which shinma you need to express an aspect you can murder to prune some unwanted cosmological concepts. Oh hey, no more perfect effects for anyone! Problem solved. Or maybe it would be sufficient to extinguish all sources of light.
Of course, these are horrific solutions, but they are examples of ways that enough violence can "solve" problems that are beyond seeming violence. If you're willing to cause enough harm, you can kill anything. All you have to do to beat the worst monsters in the universe is surpass their evil. The lesson of Exalted isn't "Violence solves problems." The lesson is "Violence solves one problem by creating a worse one." So yeah, if you want to put the sun out in a straight fight, you might need to crack the universe to do it. Surely Solars are up to that?"

As for the temperance suppression, Return of the Scarlet Empress pretty much did away with it - he suppresses temperance every time he makes a move in the Games of Divinity.

(1/2)
>>
>>46050087
Neither the Sun nor the Solars would be strong enough to beat a high powerlevel Warhammer guy. What's the maximum weight a Solar can lift? At Strength 10, Athletics 10, "lift shit" specialty 3, 3-die stunt, 5 virtue channel, Artifact N/A that increases Feats of Strength checks by 10, and Essence flow+excellency 13 dice, you get 54. 1 is lifting an anvil, and 20 is lifting a hippo. An anvil weights about 90kg, and a hippo weights about 1500kg - that's a mutiplication by sixteen for 19 extra successes. Let's say that the next 20 successes multiply by 1600 instead of 16, and the final 14 multiply by 10,000. The result would be exactly 24 billion kilograms. Pretty sweet, right.

Well, your average mountain weights about 20 tons. Even with super-generous multiples, it would take a thousand essence-ten strength-maxed, weight-lifting specialists with world-shattering lifting equipment Solars to lift a single mountain.

There are many settings where average high-powered folks toss mountains around for shits and giggles. Exalted is definitely not one of them.
>>
>>46050105
*20 billion tons, not 20 tons.
Also forgot the (2/2).
>>
Hey /exg/ I need help.
I'm launching a group of Exalted in my Club and I need to know more about the setting. What should I read ? What are good inspirations ? What is the best town/region to play in ?

I only have the 1ed core book and I intend to be pretty vanilla (only solars, Abyssals and DB are bad guys).
>>
>>46049137

Yeaaaah, legit. I feel like people rate Exalted's power level too high. I still find it weird as fuck that people would claim that Exalted is like Asura's wrath. I can't think of any solar motherfucker that could do what he does or what even some of his enemies do.

Even Scion is more likely to beat the shit out of the standard Exalt going by it's silly rules.
>>
>>46050105
Warhammer 40k isn't particularly a setting where mountains are thrown around. On that note the math you did for the feats of strength are honestly fucking retarded, 3e only goes up to 5 essence at the moment. Elder solars are the ones who are notably known for being "I solo the universe", which we can clearly see from 2.5e's everything.

Let's humour the man for a moment and place him up against a few notable enemies using 2e.
VS Space Marine:
Space Marines are tough, durable and strong. But unfortunately in 2e if you don't have conceptual powers you job exceedingly hard to any exalt with access to a perfect. Space Marine dies pretty easily.

VS Grey Knight
Now, here we start getting into some territory it's likely not best to. Psykers are a strange thing in 40k, but considering people with sheer force of will can simply power through sorcery and otherwise it's exceedingly likely a maxed out solar will have the ability to simply ignore it with integrity charms. Even moreso if you consider the warp under the Wyld's rules, Solars suddenly become completely immune to any mutations, corruption and otherwise from such a thing. On top of this, they can develop charms to do so if they aren't cross compatible as well. Considering this, the fight goes much as it does with a space marine.
>>
>>46050487
Considering at this point only conceptually aligned opponents can do anything to mister solar, let's go all the way up to the top then.
VS Chaos God:
Assuming that the wyld=warp or they have developed charms to fight the Chaos Gods, it's incredibly likely the Chaos Gods will not be able to harm the Solar at all due to the need of an attack with conceptual basis. One COULD argue that in their domain such a thing may be possible but all of the lore suggests otherwise. The Grey Knight killed all his way to Slaaesh before he was wooed, older Khorne fluff has the throne actually being fought for by the biggest and baddest demons 24/7. The only conceivable way they win is through warphacks, and even then the result is doubtful because they've never shown this ability, even when there have been people inside their realms. Killing a Chaos God will however, not be easy. The only real way to do it is by purging every single daemon aligned with them, it may take time but the solar is more than perfectly capable of doing so.

If we want to go into setting VS setting instead of setting's best vs setting's best then we can, but really it's nothing Creation hasn't weathered before.
>>
>>46050487
Yeah, the math I did is fucking retarded, because there's no way it would actually produce a result that high if I did anything sensible.

Do yourself a favor and run a few regressions on feats of strength table. The best model I could make was y=11.55445432x^2 - 27.37286398x + 228.8508772, with y in pounds and x in dice. That gives us y=32,445.5 pounds at x=54 dice. That's 14,717kg, or as I'd call it, "about ten hippos".

The almighty Solar Exalted, which some of you are convinced are powerful enough to beat Nobles, Plainswalkers, and Warhammer bullshit-people, can at their best lift ten hippos.

Okay, let's say the equation should be bullshit and should have sudden huge climbs right after the twentieth die. It'd still be impossible to do a sensible regression that would give anything anywhere near 24 billion kilograms.

Sure, Exalted are pretty stronk, but you're deluding yourself if you think that their overall powerlevels are that high.

Of course, you don't actually need any bullshit maths to see that. We know what happens when a lot of Solars max out their powers. We know what shit went down in the First Age. Sure, AI moe internet, a lot of robots, and a few floating cities are pretty rad, but let's face it, they're not that impressive for a high-powerlevel fantasy setting. The way some people are describing Exalted over here or other forums, you'd think some smartess Twilights were busy creating a few trillion parallel universes the first five minutes after the start of the Ochre Fountain Era. Nope, they were busting their asses trying to create smart garden gnomes, and it took them three thousand years to make a functioning internet.
>>
>>46047416
>But where exactly does it say about Evocations for anima banners?
Sorry, that's actually a custom Integrity charm in our game.
>>
>>46047566
>Then, entire splats were unplayable in 2e, so a lot of folks got the idea that their asspulls were higher quality than the official text.
To be fair, they usually are.
>>
Why the fuck are you grognards arguing about 40k? Who gives a shit?
>>
>>46051137
>Why the fuck are you grognards arguing about 40k? Who gives a shit?
Because this is /tg/. EVERYTHING has to be about 40k, for some reason.
>>
>>46050632
The reason Exalted got touted as having a high power level was largely due to Perfect Attacks and Perfect Defenses being cheap and common.

A setting full of warriors who can just go "Nah. Darkseids Omega Sanction? Dodged. The Flash? I smacked him in the face before he could even start running. Nuclear Explosion at point blank? Dodged. Blackbolt screaming at full volume in my face? Lemme just perfectly soak it." made for some very wobbly power-level arguments.

A lot of 2E design also just had a lot of He Does it With No Way For You To Resist in regards to larceny or stealth and whatnot, further muddling things.
>>
>>46050315
Download and read the 2e stuff in the OP. Especially the Terrestrial Directions.
>>
>>46050632
Exalted 3E rejiggered the FoS scale (however much that matters) to the point where throwing a Hippo is just difficulty 8, and at Difficulty 20 you're doing things like creating massive craters with a single blow. On top of that, with full Strength Investment you could easily hit 50 successes, whatever that would mean (Up to the GM unless we get some sort of ~Official Expanded Strength Chart~). Unfortunately for FoS silliness, Exalted explicitly says that no matter how strong you are, if you try to do something like pick up a mountain you just rip off a chunk, because you don't get to have comic book logic stuff like holding up a plane with your bare hands instead of your palms punching through the underbelly from the pressure.
>>
>>46050315
Grab Scavenger Sons, Games of Divinity, Blood and Salt, Manacle and Coin and Scavenger Seas from 1st Edition.

2nd Edition has a bunch of cool tidbits scattered throughout it, but is full of very meh stuff. The Compass books will probably help you if you can filter out the shit.

Read the setting chapter in the Ex3 corebook (link to backer release in OP). You're going to need it if you're gonna run Ex3 anyway, and you are going to run Ex3 because it's vastly superior to the previous systems.
>>
>>46051806
>Scavenger Seas
I meant Savage Seas. Apologies.
>>
>>46051702
>2e
Horrible advice. Download Ex3 and then Scavenger Sons from 1e, Manacle and Coin are useful if you want the Guild to be important or Games of Divinity for gods and demons.
>>
Also what exactly is the appeal of arguing about powerlevels between different settings? That's not even arguing about apples and oranges, because apples and oranges have more in common and can be compared with more objectivity than fictitious settings.

>>46051686
>The reason Exalted got touted as having a high power level was largely due to Perfect Attacks and Perfect Defenses being cheap and common.
Also because of how powerful the Exalted are compared to most of the rest of the setting. That matters more than 'absolute' powerlevel when it comes to feeling like one badass motherfucker.
>>
I need some ideas on what goodies and secrets a wood aligned first age solar manse might have, one big enough to be guarded by a dog of the unbroken earth

My first thought is some sort of big magic project to construct something like the God Warrior from Naausica of the valley winds
>>
>>46052571
Dogs of the Unbroken Earth aren't all that impressive, so a manse guarded by one shouldn't contain anything too powerful. It should be closer to a really swag hunting cabin or a vacation home than a secret military installation.
>>
>only Autochtonians have repeating crossbows
>unless they're artifacts
Did these idiot weeb authors never heard about chu-ko-nus?
>>
>>46052667
Technically, in 1E/2E the Haslanti League was the only country in Creation that had any form of crossbow.

3E did away with that, for which I am grateful.
>>
>>46051686
Fuck right off
Flash has equivalents to perfect defenses and perfect attacks
Do not bring DC into this because you know that they would fuck Solars up.
Shit like Final Crisis where Superman rides a multiverse+ sized mecha has happened in past, comic book supes are just higher power levels than Exalted.
>>
>>46054072
Christ, who gives a shit?
>>
File: SupermanBenchPress.jpg (145 KB, 620x534) Image search: [Google]
SupermanBenchPress.jpg
145 KB, 620x534
>>46054157
The fuck is your problem? That anon said that somehow perfect defenses help in arguments against Superheroes, I told him that is not true because Flash alone has fully reset all of existence, Superman alone has shattered multiverse with a punch and was conceptually fused with a megazord larger than all sum of multiverse etc.
You should not bring Superheroes into these discussions because Superman in nu52 can bench press the weight of earth for multiple days straight and that's not even close to his peak.
>>
>>46054072
>autism
Ok
>>
>>46054270
You seem like the right person to answer
>>46052467
>Also what exactly is the appeal of arguing about powerlevels between different settings? That's not even arguing about apples and oranges, because apples and oranges have more in common and can be compared with more objectivity than fictitious settings.
>>
Has anyone else ever used Ephemeral Induction Technique? My party's Dawn left, so I used my Supernal Occult to buy it and I'm going to use our fire aligned manse to make one tough spirit to take her place, or at least as best as a non-Solar can. What would be some cool charms to make for it?
>>
>>46054282
>autism
40k vs Exalted is autism. Super Heroes vs Exalted is just wrong.
On Meta level Batman has a fucking multiversal matrix that creates Batmen in Gotham across all universes, Superman is living embodiment of protagonist overcoming the odds in the end, etc. All of these are things that have been explained in different crisis events.
Superman alone could probably solo most of creation as long as DC would be the one publishing the story, then they would bring in some side plot about him being mind controlled...then Batman would come and duke it out with him with some smart gadgets and together with rest of JL they would calm him down, after that JL with Supes back on board would find out that Ebon Dragon was doing all of this all along or some shit like that, I dunno.
The point is that each hero is basically Unconquered Sun, in case of Superman he quite literally is the Unconquered Sun especially with all of the ties he has to Sun metaphorically.
>>
>>46054357
Nothing, there isn't some sensible logic or appeal to this. It's usually done so that someone else becomes buttmad, if you yourself are buttmad about some setting or if you like some setting more than the other...or just for fun because believe it or not people like to talk about nonsensical pointless shit.
>>
>>46054375
Sex Charms. What, weren't you going to make a fire spirit waifu?

If not, you should make it a snake made of fire and give it Charms centered around grappling enemies and burning the poor bastards it manages to grapple. Throw in some themes about consumption, maybe have it take the ashes of the enemies it burns and do some freaky stuff with them, like maybe make a battlegroup of ashen warriors or something. At any rate you should make something genuinely stange and nonhuman rather than a not!human with Essence and some cosmetic quirks.
>>
>>46054270
No but seriously, who gives a shit?
>>
>>46054415
>Superman is living embodiment of protagonist overcoming the odds in the end

Bitch this is the central theme of Solars too.

You've got your head so far up your own arse it's amazing you can still type.
>>
>>46054509
>>46054631
Oh, I guess this guy gives a shit. Marvellous.
>>
>>46054671
Oh, absolutely not, that's the point.

The only way one can compare worlds of fiction is through the comparison of their respective themes and influences, and that Anon just not getting how fucking stupid they are being by trying to resolve a pissing contest that has no point in being resolved to begin with is what pissed me off.
>>
I'm trying to design an artifact, but unfortunately I'm shit at statting things up. Anyone got the time to give me a hand?

What I have in mind is a soulsteel dagger with powers revolving around deceit, discrete murder, consumption and taking from others to give it to you, for lack of better wording.

It also has the personality of an overly clingy girlfriend.
>>
>>46055120
Sounds a little broad unless it was curse. Only thing I can think of off the top of my head is make the dagger work for the purpose of counter attacking and clash attacking in battle for the consumption and taking from others.

I got nothing otherwise.
>>
>>46051879
>>46051806
Thank you for the advice !
I'm only interested in the fluff, I'm planing on runing it with Marvel Heroic Roleplaying
>>
>>46055838
Have you checked out Exalted: Blood and Fire? It's a Marvel Heroic hack specifically designed for running Exalted.
>>
>>46050315
Pick up EX1's Corebook, Scavenger Sons, and Manacle and Coin. That's the best snapshot of the setting you'll probably get in the smallest number of books. Games of Divinity is also just a good read.

And I'm fond of starting in the Scavenger Lands or the Hundred Kingdoms. They're both pretty explicitly set up as "interesting places for PCs to adventure in."

Though I'd recommend against "Abyssals and DBs are bad guys," since that wasn't even true in the 1E core. They're presented as antagonists, but they're also presented as understandable and even potential allies for Solars who can convince them that their current status quo is a raw deal.
>>
>>46056699
I'm pretty fond of Solars as bad guys, or at least antagonists, myself. Not to make Solars seem any more evil than anyone else, just it's easy to make challenging antagonists using Solars and it's also pretty easy to make things interesting to have an enemy who's similar to PCs in a lot of ways but at the same time opposed to their goals and ideals. It's interesting as long as you don't do it all the time, at least.
>>
>>46056815
One of the first major arcs of my last Exalted game was the heroes going up against another Solar circle who had set up shop across the river from their Lunar buddy's home village. Getting to see the PCs interact with other people like them but with very opposed personal goals was a hell of a lot of fun.
>>
>>46056370
Wow ! I didn't know, thank you. I will look into it
>>
>>46056699
Thanks

>Though I'd recommend against "Abyssals and DBs are bad guys,"
I just meant that I want only Solar players. I will most of the time play the antagonist as people with opposit goals and means.
Thanks for the warning though
>>
>>46054270
I didn't say they helped, I said they were a reason Exalteds power-level got inflated a lot in arguments. Because the existence of Perfect Attacks/Defenses are...kind of not blatantly stated to be an actual thing in most settings.

Exalted had/has some silly stuff strewn throughout the charmsets. Like punching someone so hard they flew through the sky for seven days before landing. Or running "How fast are you? I'm faster. No save. Nothing you can do about it." Or being completely invulnerable to all harm as long as you're meditating and didn't attack anyone in that scene beforehand.

And it's those weird powers+powers that just have a binary no-save effect (Like Perfect Attacks/Defenses) that really contributed to Exalted being seen as vastly overpowered.

"Oh yeah you could drop a Lunar into DC and he'd explicitly be capable of outrunning the Flash."

"You could drop an Infernal into Marvel and he could uppercut The Sentry so hard he'd just fly through the air for seven days, even though he normally should be able to just catch himself mid-air and fly back to the site of the battle"

"You could drop a Solar into New York and he could mind-control every superhero in less than a day into being a drooling slave just by standing and posing, maybe saying a few words every now and again"

Those kind of arguments got a lot less worthwhile to make with 3E because 3E is deliberately pulling out the vast majority of those binary Better Than You effects and deliberately lowering the overall powerlevel to make mortals matter more and Exalts less crazy. Am I super fond of it? Nah. I liked Exalted with an absurd power ceiling, but that's the current state of it.

Also please don't use Grant Morrison silliness for powerlevel wank. The Superman Thought Robot should not be used as evidence.
>>
>>46050361
>I can't think of any solar motherfucker that could do what he does or what even some of his enemies do.

Some of the endgame retardation from 2e was about like that. 3e almost certainly isn't that high, though.
>>
>>46050361
They do tend to rate exalted stupidly high. Sure deep in second edition they had decently strong perfects+ some other great tricks.

They don't even start comparing to things like Nobilis, Ones with bonifided gods, a good chunk of supers settings and things like that.
>>
>>46058045
2E Sharp Light of Judgement Stance was fucking absurd. Oh, yeah, let me just constantly attack everything within 30 miles of me with my sword every second.
>>
>>46058523
I actually remember one friend of mine that compared the power levels of noblis and exalted by saying.

"The five metal shrike is considered to do infinite damage due to being able to blast down a mountain. John's noble of stars can without the setting constraining him fire a hypernova for free every round."
>>
>>46051137
>>46052467

One dude wandered in after an argument with his friend, and the "which setting would win" argument is like candy to the kind of autism that powers many roleplayers.

Weighing the various numbers given, finding optimum strategies, etc. KNowing enough setting lore to weight probable actions, and statistical outliers, they're all part of what would need to be taken to understand even roughly which setting could beat which. And all of that is, again, very satisfying mental exercise to many roleplayers. (maybe "rollplayers", but I hold no inherent distaste for them.)

Also, arguing on the internet is fun to many. Excuse me while I indulge.

>>46054415
>Superman is the living embodiment of the protagonist overcoming the odds

ACTUALLY, that's not what Superman's about. Superman is about the appropriate use of power, and the idea that Goodness is a form of power on its own.

Superman doesn't "overcome the odds": Superman is almost always playing with a handicap. The odds are practically NEVER against Superman WINNING, they're against him WINNING THE WAY HE WANTS TO. (Sorry for capitals, no other good way to show emphasis on 4chan), the only times there's a risk for Superman is when it comes to handling multiple events simultaneously, and that's a metaphor for the fact that no entity can singlehandedly do everything.

But again, we're trying to match oppository tones and setting themes, and it's provoking issues.

Superman is better than anyone in the Exalted world, yes. He could likely destroy most of Creation. However, part of how the Solars were made is to literally Error-Code Reality. Part of their inherent function is to do that which cannot be done. As such, if Superman entered Creation, his defeat would become possible. Especially considering that A, he's vulnerable to magic, which a larger number of Exalted use, and B, one of the primary realms of Creation doesn't have a yellow Sun. (Malfeas has a Green one.)

(cont)
>>
>>46058966

So what's most likely to actually happen is something equivalent to:

>Superman gets pulled into Creation.
>Spends some time observing world briefly.
>Likely tries to stop DB nobles assaulting peasants.
>Ensuing multi-car pile-up ends with divinations, prayers, and eventual magical attack banishing him to Malfeas.
>Maybe encounters one or two solars, with inconclusive results before being sent to Malfeas.
>Superman is confined and tormented by Demons
>Solars learn about him. He's basically a Super-Solar, in a world with only him to protect it (to the Solars' minds). Compassion Limit forces a rescue attempt to send him back to Metropolis.
>Eventually he is freed, shakes hands with the Dawn Caste, and is sent back.

If you want to get some interesting arcs, you have it be that his appearance in universe swapped him with a Circle of Solars, and we then learn what's been happening on Earth.

Because that's the closest we'd get to a real "vs" scenario: both sides trapped briefly in the other's, and learning about how their world is better and worse than each other blah blah
>>
So, does anyone even use Great Curse in their games?
>>
>>46061293
I give the players XP for limit breaking
>>
>>46061293
Usually it's the players calling for rolling limit, without that the ST'd just forget
>>
>>46061293
so one thing that confuses me about the great curse is why it hasn't been discovered yet

like it seems that a pretty large number of solars who went kinda crazy would immediately after go "huh, maybe i should find out why i blew up that town" and investigate it?

or is it just that the gameified version of the great curse is much more obvious then it is in lore?
>>
>>46051686
>A lot of 2E design also just had a lot of He Does it With No Way For You To Resist in regards to larceny or stealth and whatnot, further muddling things.

So does 3E (and chucks investigation into the basket for good measure). As a Storyteller, I hate those charms.
>>
>>46061809
2E Curse? I'd agree. It's such a set in stone rigid thing that characters in-setting, like The Hierophant, became aware of their own Limit Triggers and took measures to avoid them. Having the same reaction to the same stimuli every time over the course of a thousand year lifespan is a bit obvious.

3Es is too wobbly to be easy to pin down in-setting. You have a different Limit Break every time, and one that fits your emotions at the time.

"Oh, Solars, every now and again, get REAL REAL emotional"
"Well how?"
"Well, the first time Joe Dawncaste threw a fit, he cried for a whole day"
"Wow, has he done that often?"
"No, actually, the next temper tantrum was him smashing up some buildings with his bare hands"
"...Alright, sounds bad, and?"
"And then he he avoided us for a week. And then he got really anxious about everything for a whole day. And then he-"
"Sounds like Joe Dawncaste is just a shithead"
>>
>>46061809
>like it seems that a pretty large number of solars who went kinda crazy would immediately after go "huh, maybe i should find out why i blew up that town" and investigate it?
>or is it just that the gameified version of the great curse is much more obvious then it is in lore?

1) From absolutely everyone's perspective, including the Solar's, it's not "going crazy." Oh, yes, it's going crazy in a "mad with power!" or "overwhelmed by emotion" sense, but not in a "cursed by primordial megatitans from beyond the grave" sense.

2) The Solar's Limit Break makes absolute sense to themselves; it's all justified just like any emotional outburst would be for any other human. They might regret it later, say they shouldn't have gotten so mad, but nobody who has ever flipped out and punched a guy has thought, in the moment, "I'm not ACTUALLY mad right now."

3) The Great Curse is a genre conceit, first and foremost. That it's a literal thing in-universe is both extraneous and actively confusing to its role. Even if you deleted the Great Curse from the setting, Exalts would still have to Limit Break, because that's what classical heroes *do.*
>>
>>46061943
Almost forgot; on top of that, in 2E, there were 3 people who knew about it but refused to tell anyone. The Maiden of Secrets (Makes sense, she can't really spill the beans without betraying her nature as a god of secrets), and Lytek. Who's whole job is making sure the exaltations are okay. Who is portrayed as an alright guy. Who has no real reason whatsoever to not, the moment he discovered the taint in the exaltations while he was scrubbing them down with simple green, to not tell EVERYONE.

I hope Lytek never comes back. What a piece of shit piece of fluff.
>>
>>46061293
>>46061293
It can be pretty useful in someways. I rarely use it when I GM though just because I find most players fuck themselves over not even needing a curse to add to it.

>>46061809
It's hard to figure it out. Most of the time it feels like normal emotional reactions instead of a curse from the dead thousand year old foes from an age forgotten.

Head canon wise I do think that maybe one or two figured out something was wrong but likely died before they could really look into it and the people that did figure it out would likely be living Buddhas in personality.
>>
>>46059139
That's fucking wrong. Superman is vulnerable to magic, to the point of being as defenseless as an ordinary person, and fucking everything in Creation worth considering is magic. So here's how it'd actually play out:

>pulled into creation
>tries to stop DB being a cunt
>DB uses perfect defense
>DB uses magic to instagib Superman

The end.
>>
File: Smallville Wall.gif (498 KB, 500x181) Image search: [Google]
Smallville Wall.gif
498 KB, 500x181
>>46062190
>Superman is vulnerable to magic
>>
>>46062190
No no, that's not how his weakness to magic works. A DB using a perfect attack would be able to hit him, but clink off his natural hyper-durability. It's like punching someone with 10,000 points of soak.

Throwing a fireball made of magic at Superman=Nothing
Throwing a fireball that can magically burn anything at Superman=Burned Superman
Hitting Superman with a magic sword=Nothing
Hitting Superman with a sword that can magically cut anything=Cut Superman

Superman isn't weak to magic, he just has no innate resistance to the weird shit magic can pull. You can poison Superman with a love potion, you can turn him into a frog, you can erase his memories with a spell...

What you need to fuck up Superman is shaping attacks. That's it. The first Raksha or wyld-zone Superman walks into, he's gone.
>>
Just for the hell of it. How freaky would most dragon blooded rate seeing another dragon blooded getting their heart ripped out of their chest then the guy just standing up without any issue?

Got a scene idea stuck in my head now.
>>
>>46062270

Or, you know, Presence charms. Sure, he's got high resolve and probably a defining intimacy of goodytwoshoes, but if you have the capacity to magic your way past those natural defences, you can have a pet superbeing of your very own, with minimal effort.

Or you can slowly destroy everything he loves and believes in, then kill him with Cup Boils Over, which is much more supervillainous,
>>
>>46061809

Lytek has found it, but hasn't bothered to tell anyone, IIRC. So does Jupiter, but can't talk about it until the fated time to do so.
>>
>>46062305

The DB with his heart ripped out standing up? Probably "Necromancy" or some such. Exalts are supernaturally long lived and durable, but at the core they are still human, and need organs to live.
>>
>>46063801
He's got at least 10 Willpower and so could ignore you long enough to know his mind is getting messed with. He deals with mind control/manipulation a shit ton for this exact reason.

He peaces out of the situation with his super speed and flight.
>>
>>46065015

Which is fine, as long as you're talking about a single situation, and not an ongoing campaign. It might be a war of attrition, but as long as you can keep the pressure on, you'll eventually tap his Willpower.
>>
>>46063801
Super man has dealt with mind control of being on level of primordials, this is not a discussion. If you kill everything he cares for you are fucked, the amounts of universe fucking technology he had in fortress of solitude together with the fact that he will probably go
>fuck it, time to go up to sun and get even stronger

I mean we have seen several potential future supermen, one of them being prime one million. That version of him in future is basically God, not in a unconquered sun kind of way, I mean in universe creating reality controlling omnipotent kind of way.

Superman is what sun wishes he could be.
>>
>>46065315
Again why is this a discussion when Superman has faced wars like this in multiple universes and in the closest thing to Canon future there is for him, JL one million, he becomes God.
Even when ignoring possible futures like this that show his potential, again he can lift and punch multiple sixtilion tons, move at FTL speeds and he has world busting arsenal.
What you are discussing of a biased one easy situation where Superman has no allies and if acting like a retard.
>>
>>46065346
>>46065451
wait are we talking about post or pre-crisis superman?
>>
>>46058045
Why shouldn't one use Morrison's meta fiction, especially when he is so relevant and loved by DC and multiversity too is coming soon.
If you want to pretend that all exalted are essence 10 breasts than I can bring in thought robot and one million and zone child AND speed force arguments.
>>
>>46058212
Nah, Asura basically soloed his multiverse including creator of said multiverse. No single solar can beat all primordials, all gods AND all exalted just in pure combat.
>>
>>46058698
>>46058698
Nobilis is where it's at
>oh you want to run across this Galaxy and back? Sure, no rolls needed, you do ir
>>
>>46065615
>No single solar can beat all primordials, all gods AND all exalted just in pure combat.

I thought that was basically the idea behind Merela, except she figured that it would fuck the multiverse all to hell if she did and she probably wouldn't come out of it totally unscathed, so she didn't bother?
>>
>>46065691
No, she was pretty competent but she was as powerful as any other Solar with pretty solid willpower and a double handful of luck.
>>
>>46065556
None of the effects he mentioned were essence 10. If I am remembering right they're all essence 6 or less.
>>
>>46065528
Superman post crisis despite what people want you to believe has more truly OP feats, they aren't as blatant or silly but more OP.
New 52 Superman at his base is stronger than all star Superman, lifting 6 quintillion tons was impressive then, now Superman cash casually lift more for days straight.
>>
>>46065691
She was best warrior in creation, but she absolutely couldn't just solo all of creation naked.
>>
>>46065726
That is a figure of speech. Generally speaking people talk as if Exalted can learn all of Glories charms without any problems or as if all Exalts are high essence beasts.
But I will never understand how people can say stuff like
>"You could drop a Solar into New York and he could mind-control every superhero in less than a day into being a drooling slave just by standing and posing, maybe saying a few words every now and again
With a straight face when Marvel's New York contains beings such as Franklin Richards who are on the power level of Nobilis and above.
>>
>>46065860
Well in 2e, Minds Yield to Glory made it so that Hypnotic Tongue Technique costed upwards of 5 willpower to resist on a scale of 10 max willpower. You could also spam it twice easily without flaring at all by essence 5. Granted, i'm sure that the superheroes in question have some defense against mindrape. I'm not really one for arguing anyone vs Superman. He's not meant to be compared to anyone. His limit is whatever the writer feels like that day.
>>
>>46065981
I might be wrong but didn't Mind Yield to Glory just increase Hypnotic Tongue Technique to a one month period? And didn't it also not work on any Supernatural beings, only mortals?
>>
>>46066028
You're correct about it increasing it to a one month period, but at Essence 4+ it makes the resist cost 5WP instead of 1WP a day. Essence 5+ makes it cost the targets essence rating in motes instead of 10m, but I basically glossed that assuming beings like supes would count as Essence 10 beings.
>>
>>46066063
Again, I am pretty sure it does not work any any Supernatural beings or Exalts at all, it's an upgrade of Hypnotic Tongue Technique which works only on mortals as far as I know.
>>
>>46066028
>>46066063
To clarify, it also works on supernatural beings. Further nobody can remember it triggering without spending a further 4 willpower. I remember now why I hated this charm as an ST in 2e.
>>
>>46066063
>>46066104
If I am wrong, our Social Character is about to get boost in power.
>>
>>46066106
Can you please give me something that will prove to our ST that it works on supernatural beings too?
He claimed that if charm states that it works on mortals in description that it works only on mortals.
>>
>>46066104
I am looking at it in the Abyssals handbook. There is no stipulation that says 'Only for mortals.' HOWEVER, looking at the ORIGINAL charm there is some flavor text that mentions 'It is hard for mortals to resist the shining glory of the Solar Exalted.'
>>
>>46066138
Tell him to stop being a shit and that it's just flavor text.
>>
>>46066140
This is what I mean.
I am pretty sure that it is meant to be a charm that works on mortals only, otherwise this shit is potentially Death Lord buster if players have enough wit.
>>
>>46066138
Oh also ask him why he thinks that it would only work on mortals when its upgrade charm specifically states that it 'lowers the mote cost to the targets essence.' That makes no sense for being just mortals.
>>46066176
>>
File: Blood and Fire v2.1.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Blood and Fire v2.1.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>46057517
Here's an upload!
>>
Just realized Triumph-Forged God Body has Ten Ox Meditation as a pre-requisite. Fucking 3E and its speedbumps.
>>
>>46067479
Ten-Ox Meditation remains the worst athletics charm by a wide, wide, wide margin. Ask your GM if it can be literally any other strength-based charm. At least the others are actually helpful.
>>
>>46067924

Especially considering my character is Athetlitcs supernal, and started with Nine Aeons Thew :/
>>
Finishing that ExalTwitch series, morke and sls were watching it and talking in the chat. It's a pretty good campaign.
What's this I hear about a backer pdf out soon with 50 extra charms?
>>
>Crack-Mending Method says it cannot fix a broken heart

This is horseshit. I can craft a person a BETTER heart, one that makes him not feel that icky feeling of remorse anymore!
>>
>>46068232
>What's this I hear about a backer pdf out soon with 50 extra charms?

Some KS backers had the privilege of suggesting additional Charms, so there will be a second PDF out shortly that has those in them.
>>
Out of curiousity, how does one challenge exalts with mortals? Are you suppose to just send doves at them and heroics are pretty much pointless against them? Because it seem like the battle can be over fairly quickly, even without charms.
>>
>>46061977
And Auto-kun
>>
File: Autochthon.jpg (60 KB, 421x412) Image search: [Google]
Autochthon.jpg
60 KB, 421x412
>>46069321
kawaii
>>
Is the charm that adds exactly the amount of power to your punch that the target has in defence, or something like that?
Like, it powers your punch exactly the amount it would be needed, to bypass the armour? Or something
>>
>>46069309
Either have a small group of elite mortals fighting together, or have a battle group or two lead by competent commanders. Number is pretty much the only way for Mortals to overwhelm a Solar, unless you get veeeery creative, and even then numbers only really work against newby Solars.

A player of mine ran a whiteroom of 5 Elite Solider level mortals against his Zenith caste meleeist. He was only Essence 1 at the time, though.

He managed to kill one of them, but in the end they drained him of motes after a grueling fight, since he had to keep popping Dipping Swallow every attack to avoid Onslaught penalties, got some really good dice rolls and brought him down. Those mortals were truly blessed by some crazy spirit.
>>
So /tg/ how do you handle NPC stunting? With 3e actually requiring stunt ratings for specific charms it seems I can't always just not give them any stunt bonuses. Do you usually just go with the important people getting static 1 point stunts for such things? Or do you have another method?
>>
>>46069394
I figured as much.

It seem like only throwing the best of the best as mortals would be a bit unlikely unless they've messed up greatly (limit breaks ahoy?)

The competent leaders I don't understand. Isn't it stupid easy just to snipe the leader rather than deal with the battlegroup and they'll generally go down quickly?
>>
>>46069458
Yes, it's pretty easy to snipe the leader. Battlegroups also die quickly. The trick to that is have a couple retainers for the leader that use defend other on him. It'll help even the odds.
>>
>>46051784

Which is kinda bullshit I find. Even Scion addressed this with it's "Sci-ence" sidebar.
>>
>>46069357
I don't remember that being a thing ever
>>
>>46069476
Huh, a dedicated defense bot. That seems amusing, but I don't know how high they can get defense wise; however, that does make mortals seem less derp.
>>
>>46070007
They don't specifically need to be that high defense-wise. A battle-ready troop, so standard, trained soldiers, have a PDV of 4. If he has two dedicated defenders then the Solar has to beat the first ones defense. Decided if he wants to still try and hit the general. If he does, then he has to then get through the NEXT ones 4PDV. Then decide if he wants to hit that one or the commander still. THEN he has to beat the COMMANDERS PDV, which might be higher depending. Adding that all together, that's a lot of successes just to hit the guy. If they choose to hit the defenders then that's a turn the commander gets to issue command actions to mess them over with the battlegroup. If they try and fail to hit the commander that's a turn anyway. If they somehow hit the commander through all that then damn, they rolled well.
>>
>>46070007
>>46070037
Not to mention if it's a decisive attack the attacker is losing 2 init guaranteed trying to hit the original target. 4 if there are two like I said. If you wanna be a real rude you can always let the guards have shields. Meaning their PDV is 1 higher than normal and they can flurry a full defense action and the defend other action.
>>
>>46070037
>>46070064
I can see how that makes it much harder to due to rereading it. Yeah, that makes it much harder to splat the commander with that in mind, make sense.
>>
One more setting question for 3e since i'm not sure. When someone has an artifact in this edition, that does mean that even the dumb durhur mortals would realize the person is not normal, right?

Now the case may be arguable with special material like feathersteel, but the magical material is a dead give away? Or is artifacts so rare that no mortals may know if it is outside their scope to use?
>>
>>46067924

I'm not up to speed on Ten Ox-Meditation. Care to explain why it's so bad (preferably without hyperbolising the shit out of it, as some Anons tend to).
>>
>>46069426
I just stunt my shit and declare the appropriate rating. If any of the players feels that's not appropriate they have a right to call it out and I'll re-evaluate (generally lower the stunt level by one). I never give myself a level 3 stunt, since level 3s at my table can only be attributed by everyone else sitting at the table agreeing about it anyway.
>>
>>46070276
Do not underestimate the usefulness of miscellaneous combat options in general. Defend Other is great, cleverly managing your combat movement allows for some nifty tactics too. Hell, put your Commander on a horse and watch your players cry as they have to manoeuvre through the battle group and two bodyguards only for the commander to retreat two range bands away, peppering them with arrows all the while.
>>
>>46070939
Ten Ox Meditation basically just costs too many successes per point of qualifying strength, and because difficulty scales with minimum strength, it gets worse and less likely to succeed the higher strength you are. It doesn't work on its own, and needs a full excellency to get a 50% chance on low strength levels to jump two dots of strength, and only starts reliably giving you enough strength to hit a breakpoint with failure-reroll charms like Thunders Might. So, for most characters actually investing in strength charms, it's useless until essence 2 at the very least, and becomes actually useless once you get Nine Aeons Thew.
>>
Has anyone tried using Volcano Cutter? In games or in a white-room situation? Because for all its power it looks absolutely useless.
>>
File: Volcano Cutter.webm (3 MB, 1328x718) Image search: [Google]
Volcano Cutter.webm
3 MB, 1328x718
>>46072167
>>
>>46072167

I haven't seen it in action, but I sorta disagree. It's good for wanton destruction, but it lacks any sort of finesse. It seems like most of the power is in dealing with a mass of enemies and large creatures rather than single entities. The fact that it is limited to those situations generally makes it seem kinda eh. I think it was far stronger in the previous leak, but maybe someone with more mechanical sense can tell you if i'm wrong or not.
>>
File: wonton_destruction_by_cheswick.jpg (70 KB, 737x736) Image search: [Google]
wonton_destruction_by_cheswick.jpg
70 KB, 737x736
>>46072257
>>
>>46072230
Yeah, but you can't actually do that without about an hour of fighting before hand, that's my issue.

>>46072257
The problem for me is it takes something like 4 attacks to get the motes to activate the very first evocation. You need to do this at least 5 times to activate the final evocation and that's only if all of your attacks are successful withering attacks that you need to give the eruption points the initiative they need. It just seems excessive.
>>
Hello /exg/ what do you think is good inspiration material for the game ?
What should I watch/read to get in the mood ?
>>
>>46073135
Prince of egypt
>>
>>46072312
I think you are looking at mote efficiency a little too much. It'll take a while to pay for it with no cost, yes. However, if you're using the evocation of that sword, you're probably in a situation where flaring is not the main concern.

The weapon requires build up yes and I can see why you may find it excessive. Keep in mind though the attack is unblockable and that is pretty much getting rid of the best (early) form of defense at essence 1 for most beings.
>>
>>46073135
Ninja Scroll, Sword of the Stranger, Night's Master, Conan, Princess Mononoke, Troy, Black Company, The Mummy, The Fall and Rome.

>>46073209
You misunderstand, Grand Eruption can only be activated with motes gained by attacking with Volcano Cutter.
>>
>>46070558
I think it's established that artifacts generally look as powerful as they are, though it depends on the exact artifact. You're bound to get a few odd looks.
>>
>>46073135
Romance of the Thre Kingdoms.

The Ramayana.

Asura's Wrath.

Fist of the North Star.

Kongoh Banchou

Blade of the Immortal.

No More Heroes.

Mushishi.
>>
>>46070558
Absolutely a dead giveaway with the larger artifacts. Anything made of orichalcum or Jade is going to be absurdly heavy, and almost all artifact weapons are made way thicker and heavier than they should be. An actual sword is pretty thin and slender. Your sword will be broad as a mans thigh and thicker than your palm. And probably 6 feet long to boot.

So, most Daiklaves are probably right out, but you might get away with a Reaper Daiklave, Direlash, Smashfists...
By nature, all artifacts are incredibly clumsy for mortals to wield, and often even hold. The moment someone realizes you're swish-flicking a 100+ pound sword like it weighed less than a feather, eyebrows will be raised. Just hope that they think you're a Dragonblooded instead of an Anathema. Or when a ruler asks that you leave your weapons at the door and the guard almost collapses under the sheer weight of the staff you handed him, have a really good excuse.

It's the reason I don't bother getting artifacts early in any campaign. Puts a massive hamper on pretending to not be a Solar.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 24

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.