[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
In a D&D campaign, would Giant Animals be considered an okay
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 7
File: Giant Everything.gif (116 KB, 397x590) Image search: [Google]
Giant Everything.gif
116 KB, 397x590
In a D&D campaign, would Giant Animals be considered an okay enemy to throw at the party in a world where leaking wild magic from ancient ruins causes mutations? I was considering using really obscure animals to make my own hybrid construct creatures, but I didn't know if players would find it too unoriginal of a concept. Also, Garuda wasps large enough to pick up deer or caribou and fly off with them would be terrifying.

Are giant animals considered a legit enemy to throw at people that's been a staple for the game, or are they just something that people tolerate for tradition's sake?
>>
File: nautilus.jpg (2 MB, 2816x2112) Image search: [Google]
nautilus.jpg
2 MB, 2816x2112
>>46024829
Nautiluses.
Terrestrial nautiluses.
>>
>>46024829
>Also, Garuda wasps large enough to pick up deer or caribou and fly off with them would be terrifying.
Reminds me of the SNES game E.V.O.
>>
You could fluff it a bit more horrifying; tumors, disproportionately long limbs, too many or too few of some feature, etc.

Really play up the unnatural angle.
>>
File: Cazador.png (266 KB, 800x492) Image search: [Google]
Cazador.png
266 KB, 800x492
>>46024829
>>46030549
>>
File: Raaapewasp.png (202 KB, 782x443) Image search: [Google]
Raaapewasp.png
202 KB, 782x443
>>46030636
Someone already mentioned the giant bug-things from Fallout whose name eludes me. Problem is that they don't have rapejaws. Garuda wasps do.
>>
>>46024829
It's about how the encounter is framed.

You could potentially have a satisfying encounter with a low level party against a flock of vicious geese, if you had a mind to.

Roleplaying games are a toolbox innit, as the DM it's up to you to decide what kind of beasts you want to include, and also up to you to make them work.

Even an encounter with Acerarak himself can be made stale and boring by lacklustre presentation.
>>
File: 1452663574330.jpg (176 KB, 700x742) Image search: [Google]
1452663574330.jpg
176 KB, 700x742
>>46024829
>>
How DO you kill a big centipede? I mean, where is its brain, or its heart, or anything vital you can stab?
>>
File: allSmiles.jpg (329 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
allSmiles.jpg
329 KB, 1920x1080
>>46030636
Think even more evil.
>>
>>46036163

>Cazaclaw

Jesus Christ How Horrifying.
>>
>>46036163
What horribly wretched mad science this is.

But OP, things of abnormal size are entirely warranted with wild magic. It's like one of the oldest magic-related effects ever. Plus on the Wild Magic effects table are a few results that affect size.

Plus it's magic. It can be whatever Da fuck you want. My recommendations would be botflies, tsetse flies, or Japanese wasps of abnormal size if you wished to be particularly horrific. Antlions are also a fun choice.

Oh, and anyone know the name of that aquatic worm with the gigantic jaws that dips in an out of its hole in the sea floor to grab prey? Looks gnarly as fuck.
>>
>>46038265
>Oh, and anyone know the name of that aquatic worm with the gigantic jaws that dips in an out of its hole in the sea floor to grab prey? Looks gnarly as fuck.
Bobbitt Worm
>>
File: images.jpg (12 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
12 KB, 275x183
>>46038333
Thank you, checked anon! This friendly fella!

They burrow into the sea floor, leave a few inches of their bodies exposed (which can grow up to 10 feet long) and then wait.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.