[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /tg/ think of Trudvang? Has anyone here played it?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4
What does /tg/ think of Trudvang? Has anyone here played it? And Trudvang General thread, cause that would be cool.

For those who don't know, Trudvang is a Swedish RPG campaign setting. It recently got a translation, but it's a weird form. You basically buy an app version of the core books for your computer, with built in chat and character builders. Find it here: https://online.riotminds.com/trudvang_chronicles_game

The world is basically a super Norse world with an awesome art style and a rich lore.
>>
Here's some art.
>>
File: trudvang.jpg (389 KB, 1600x1130) Image search: [Google]
trudvang.jpg
389 KB, 1600x1130
>>
>>
>>46020104
Here anon, you seem excited about it, can you explain it to me? What's the central mechanics, what about it makes it stand out to you? The art looks nice, is it just the art and genre?
>>
To me, the art and setting are definitely the most interesting parts of the game. The game itself runs off something similar the BRP system developed by chaosium, so, it's basically running off of a system similar to call of cthulhu.
>>
The art is stunning, but I know nothing else about it. I wish hires files of the art was easier to find just so I could use them as play aids.
>>
>>46020104
I tried to read it once, but the translation at the time was pretty jank. Love the artist though.

>>46022625
I bought a copy of Paul Bonner's art book. Totally worth it. Trudvang is some of his best work, but it's not like the rest is bad by any means.
>>
>>46020104
>>46022625
>>46024388
they did a Kickstarter for a Trudvang artbook a little while ago, I backed it, hopefully it'll be good
>>
This art is beautiful. I want to know more.
>>
>>46027986
>>46022625
The game seems to be unknown outside of Sweden, which is sad, given Riotminds recent attempts to expand to an international audience. For information, I would suggest their English language subforum, even though that relatively dead, and the Trudvang Chronicles Facebook.
>>
Some people made a short Trudvang Chronicles film. Here's the English subtitled version: https://youtu.be/Bc-k_exljME
>>
I found someone giving a better description of the product and rules. I was wrong, they've moved the rules from BRP to a custom system.
"I've played it since the first edition and I consider it the best RPG, at least fantasy, ever created.
It's based on the basic role-playing system so you use a d20 like in D&D. But the aim is to roll low, under a target value, rather than over.
The system emphasies skills. There are no levels. Instead there are 15-20 skills. Each skill will give you general knowledge/ability in a certain field. Whether it be thieving, fighting, magic, knowledge, etc. You can't raise the general skill values much. Instead you invest your heard earn experience points into buying disciplines and specializations. So your general skill value will go up, but you will also get even better at things like fighting with specific weapons, lying, stealing, sneaking, hunting, etc. etc. It's a good system that puts the focus on roleplaying. Min/maxing isn't really a thing. Of course if you're a fighter strength will give you more bang for your bucks than charisma might. But that's also kind of all you can do.

Combat is the thing that might be most different compared to many other systems. Essentially you have combat points. Which come from your skill value in fighting as well as your disciplines/specializations, and sometimes from other sources as well. Each weapon has a certain number of actions tied to it. A sword might allow for three actions in a round, for instance. You then distribute your collective combat points onto these actions. For instance, I might want to attack twice and parry once. If I have 30 combat points that means I have a value to roll under of 10 in each action. Or maybe I want to ensure I hit, so I only use 2 actions and put 20 into an attack and 10 into a parry. It's up to you.

Many other actions like moving or drawing weapons and such also use the combat points."
>>
>>46020104
The first RPG I ever played. Oh God, I'm still so much in love with it. Haven't played it for a good 6 years now, but holy shit, sometimes I just sit back and remember and pretend that I have the money to buy all the stuff.

Maybe I should talk to my old GM and ask if he still has it and is willing to part with it...
>>
>>46031420
What edition did you play? And what do you think of this new online stuff?
>>
>>46031869
Can't remember which edition to be honest. I know there was a book with nothing but dwarf lore that I read. This was around 2009 I think. We also used splatbooks from here and there, including Jorges Bestiarium (which is beautiful. Alvaro Tapia has truly shaped my view and preferences of fantasy visuals/aesthetic).

Haven't given them a good look, mainly because I've heard it's a bit wonky.
>>
>>46031420
Just messeged my old GM. Hopefully he has them and is willing to give them a new and loving home. Will update when he replies, and if people are interested I can post photos and possibly scan them when I get them (which is gonna take a few weeks in that case, when I return to my hometown for easter)
>>
>>46032246
I would love to see some scans personally.
>>
>>46033524
Seconded, you guise made me curious
>>
>>46020104
>What does /tg/ think of Trudvang?
I think Riotminds are a couple fucking retards. Making something where the art's that big a selling point online-only has to be the worst business decision I've seen in awhile.
>>
>>46033524
>>46036158

>>46032246 here. He won't sell them to me, which I totally understand and won't hold against him, but he said I could borrow them until he needs them again. If I can get access to a scanner I could try to either scan everything (it will be bad scans though, I won't cut the books apart) or just the best art pieces.
>>
>>46030838

....This sounds familiar.

There was a guy called Rasmus over on Eldaronline who lived in Sweden and was making an RPG system without levels, focused around skills. Could this be his?
>>
>>46020104
I've played it quite a bit.

It's real neato, the setting and all, but personally I'm not a fan of how warriors are like godsent heroes of legend while anything with the slightest bit of utility is just some useless support requiring a pretty heavy investment to be able to do basic things.

It's like having to grab 4 D&D feats to use Craft (Armor). In fact, most 'feats' you get tend to be reducing penalties and stuff. You don't get shit.

Magic is cool in fluff, and some greater effects are pretty neat, but the rate at which you get 'mana' back is extremely slow, I'm talking a few points a week, where a single spell can drain you pretty fast.

Ultimately unless you're a warrior, you're a useless plebian and can maybe shine once a week, but if you ARE a warrior, you can get to a level where you have 95% success at pretty much everything you do and all your abilities are legendary.
>>
>>46020104
>>46021069
>>46021091
>>46021122
Very nice art, but the game is played with d6, d10 and d20 only, and there is little to no magic, and apparently the half-races are all messed up. Apart from that, skill checks d20 and the usual "you forgot to draw your sword out of the sheath first" crap. So how does it play OP?
>>
>>46038342
This.

I've been interested in Trudvang for many years but never played it. Why the fuck don't they just release a proper English dead tree version instead of some stupid app.
>>
>>46020104
>What does /tg/ think of Trudvang? Has anyone here played it?
Being scandinavian, I am sort of ashamed that I have never tried that particular game/system. I did play Drakar & Demoner when I was younger, never tried Trudvang though. Is the ruleset any different from Drakar & Demoner?
>>
>>46041474
It's very simplified desu. I still prefer DOD6:Expert
>>
>>46040816
Honestly? I don't know. I have yet to get a group to play it with.
>>
>>46041525
>It's very simplified desu. I still prefer DOD6:Expert
By that you mean that the system is a simplied version of Drakar & Demoner I presume? With that in mind, would I be correct in believing, in general, that the gameplay rather revolves around the setting/story rather than the mechanics?
>>
>>46041700
It's supposed to be a lot more role playing heavy rather than mechanically focused.
>>
>>46041811
>It's supposed to be a lot more role playing heavy rather than mechanically focused.
Indeed, that was what I was trying to say. Perhaps poor phrasing on my part. What do you think of the setting? Can you perhaps give me a brief summary? Because I am curious about the game.
By the way, are you
>>46041525
>I still prefer DOD6:Expert?
Do you play DOD these days?
>>
>>46041869
>Do you play DOD these days?
Not anymore no. I mostly play GURPS.
>>
>>46040608
>Could this be his?
Nope. This game's the hobby of the Paradox Interactive execs, who are old RPG nerds. That's why it has such amazing art, they can afford to just barf money all over Paul Bonner.
>>
>>46040723
>3E players rebel against caster edition: The Game
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.