[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
AdEva general
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 98
Thread images: 21
File: ccpylp3lw1yfuldfff3e.jpg (878 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
ccpylp3lw1yfuldfff3e.jpg
878 KB, 1280x1024
So I saw the thread on this game earlier and I was wondering if anyone had any experience running an AdEva game before. My group seems interested and I wanted to know what I was getting myself into.

The combat system looks clunky but I like a lot of the flavorful rules (like the Ego and Stress).

If this ends up being a reaccuring general, here's the link to the wiki with the newest rulebooks: https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Adeptus_Evangelion
>>
File: days that end in y.jpg (17 KB, 500x385) Image search: [Google]
days that end in y.jpg
17 KB, 500x385
>tfw mildly interested but I'm the only one at the table that likes Eva enough to play or have even watched it
>>
>>46018451
You say that like anyone actually plays adeva in real life
>>
>>46019525
well someone has to, otherwise how are there 5 versions with a spin-off?
>>
>>46020719
Internet.
>>
>>46018451
>>46019525
>>46020719
I played it awhile ago and it was rather fun but its clunky as fuck but once you get used to it, It's enjoyable

I offered my group to run it and everybody finds Eva shit ;-;
>>
>>46018451
>>46021178
OP here

I asked my playgroup and only one person has voiced any opinion on it (he said it looked interesting) so now I don't know what to do...
>>
>>46018451
I almost feel like playing with the uninitiated would serve as an advantage
>>
>>46021354
Same here, And honestly Eva is a hard thing to get into.

>>46021404
It really would, Gotta find people who don't know shit about Eva.
>>
>>46021434
I guess instead aim for people interested in mecha, specifically a deconstruction of the genre
>>
bump to keep this thread from tumbling down
>>
>>46021178
Ask what parts of Eva they find shit?
Because most of the time it's the characters, which is the part you get to fix on your own
And by fix, I mean fuck up in your own way.
>>
>>46026441
One last bump to save mankind.
>>
File: 1450786527241.jpg (73 KB, 768x614) Image search: [Google]
1450786527241.jpg
73 KB, 768x614
>>
>>46017931
>I was wondering if anyone had any experience running an AdEva game before
I ran a v2.5 game and am currently running a v3.05b game.

You're getting into whatever you decide to get yourself into. It doesn't run like a traditional game because the players have very little agency and things just sort of come to them, and the game is about how they deal with all these things. So really only even try to run it for groups who want to do a lot off roleplaying.

The system is clunky. There's no way to not have that problem. I have next week off and maybe I'll put more work on that combat-tracking bot.

AT Powers in v3 kind of suck. They just aren't very good, and all my players are less than thrilled. It's a lot better of a choice to just get better at guns. Maybe if you're playing with people who don't mind making suboptimal and slightly boring choices over better ones, you'll actually see AT powers used.

>recurring general
Please no.
>>
>>46027279
>So really only even try to run it for groups who enjoy the literal definition of a railroad.

Fixed that for you.
>>
>>46019525
For some reason the devs have a perception that people only play AdEva online and so they based the ground up mechanics in v3 on whatever is easiest for online play.

I meanwhile have been in 1 AdEva game online and about 5 campaigns with friends. And I know of as many offline campaigns again that friends of mine have been in but I haven't.

The rules are totally clunky but that's in some ways the point. Roll to see if you cry, and if so how hard.
>>
>>46027279
Oh yeah, also the system (at least v3 for sure) grinds to a halt when you've got 4 or more Evas. Balancing angels is an unsolved problem and depends on your intuition.

>>46027317
Sure, is that a problem? It kind of comes with the package.
>>
>>46027279
>>46027373
What if I was using the latest (5th?) edition? Or am I getting the versions mixed up?
>>
>>46027492
All versions are clunky.
>>
>>46027512
Is it worth learning/playing? Do the new versions come out frequent enough not to print a copy of the rulebook?
>>
>>46027386
>Sure, is that a problem?

I just hate it when people like you conflate "roleplaying" with "accepting that basically nothing your characters do will matter and riding the railroad."
>>
>>46027559
I've never played any iteration of v3, personally not fond of the directions they took on a lot of things. Other people enjoy the hell out of it though.
>>46027605
That only happens with a bad GM. Just like with any game.
A good GM lets your attempts to derail things succeed and figures out how things go from there. And, you know, gives you a chance to see where the tracks are heading.
>>
File: conditions.png (72 KB, 1035x601) Image search: [Google]
conditions.png
72 KB, 1035x601
>>46027559
The current edition is V3.05. That's supposed to mean "fifth beta version."

There's going to be more versions, I wouldn't bother with a print version except for may some of the charts that you reference a lot.

Is it worth playing... I guess that depends on how much you and your friends want to play a fanfiction game!

>>46027605
That's a little bit unfair to say for two reasons: roleplaying shouldn't be conflated with player agency, and how much player agency a given player has depends heavily on the GM. The difference your actions can cause is, for example, fighting in a city where the geofront has been ripped open or fighting in a city where your friends are still alive. And if you didn't make any friends, is that your fault, or because you're on the railroad?
>>
>>46027639
>That only happens with a bad GM. Just like with any game.

Most games don't make the native assumption that the protagonists are more or less helpless and broken children at the mercy of a paramilitary organization who exploits them as best they can, though.

Nevermind how any game where literal children routinely outwit top generals and tacticians to actually pull levers in a meaningful way in the game is so absurd as to make any attempt to take the game seriously as an utter mockery.
>>
File: actions.png (88 KB, 984x761) Image search: [Google]
actions.png
88 KB, 984x761
>>46027682
>any attempt to take the game seriously
Now hold on there for a second, the centerpiece of the game is giant psychic cyborgs from hell, but the rest of the anime stuff is what causes your suspension of disbelief to fail?

I can kind of see it, but children outwitting the paramilitary organization is something that happens as a result of GM fiat. That's not an assumption the system makes, especially not v3.
>>
File: shinji I will run away_1.jpg (192 KB, 500x496) Image search: [Google]
shinji I will run away_1.jpg
192 KB, 500x496
>>46027714
>but the rest of the anime stuff is what causes your suspension of disbelief to fail?

Yes. Something as internally inconsistent as people in middle school out thinking people literally twice to three times their age is utterly ridiculous, no matter how incredulously you try to act. Accepting certain facets of a setting as real is one thing; souls exist and can be manipulated through science, alien biology that can achieve seemingly magical effects through what amounts to force of will exists, sure whatever. Expecting me to believe that adults are bumbling fools because otherwise the PCs won't have any agency turns the game, at absolute best, into a farce.

>That's not an assumption the system makes, especially not v3.

Kindly provide alternative explanations for plot levers your PCs can tug at in the game.

"B-but the Evas react to PCs in ways the paramilitary organization that funded, researched, built, and trained the children to pilot could not have possibly have foreseen!" is not an answer, by the way.

The simple fact is you play AdEva if you feel like being railroaded and seeing how your characters deal with it. It is the antithesis of a roleplaying game, because it is about PCs who do not have any real choices or options to change their situation beyond "run away," which is to say "stop playing the game because you wrote your character out of the story."

The closest thing any PCs get to choice in that game is what gets destroyed and how badly during combat, which, in my mind, explains quite well why the AdEva community is known for preferring combat sessions over tea party sessions, to paraphrase some of the dev team's own words.
>>
>>46027974
First, I have to ask why you feel the need to project that idiotic stuttering onto someone. I'm not even disagreeing with you on that note! Nobody said you have to have bumbling fool adults, that's an assumption you've already made and are so reluctant to let go for some reason. (Also, what is the "AdEva community" you speak of? You mean the Reddit? or the IRC channel? I'd like to participate in this community!)

The only reason Unit01 reacts uniquely to Shinji is because of Yui's stupid anime gambit that sets up Shinji as the one protagonist that matters. NERV doesn't stop him not because they don't want to, but because Gendo lets Shinji get away with doing everything he did. If you recall, Seele is upset that Gendo give Unit01 to his son, so they cut his budget and then specifically set out to stop Shinji, ultimately succeeding were it not for Yui's actions and Kaworu's defection -- which in itself is due to Gendo and Kaji's actions. Seele isn't stopped because of anything Shinji or Asuka or Rei do. Asuka notably has very little impact on the adult conspiracies, playing mostly as window dressing. The pilots don't fix the MAGI, the pilots don't obtain Adam, the pilots don't figure out the Marduk Report is a sham. Of all the pilots (and discounting the usual "fight harder so less things get destroyed"), Asuka doesn't really make any meaningful discoveries or choices. Rei makes her choice to disobey Gendo as a result of her being not really Rei and also as a result of her interactions with Shinji. Shinji actually does make a few choices: first, killing Kaworu at the climax. Second, dismantling Instrumentality in the resolution. After everything he's been through, he makes the same choice, as always, not to run away. Your life is worth living, congratulations, roll credits. How disgusting.

cont.
>>
>>46028423
None of the adults in NGE are bumbling idiots! Sure, they aren't the most well-adjusted people, but that's played up for drama for the audience's sake. If there was no intention of showing that Misuto was a nervous wreck, the audience would never have found out and ultimately nothing would have mattered. From a pilot's perspective, they didn't really need to see that for their story, nor would they have seen it if Misuto did a halfway decent job of containing herself. The inability to present convincing characters to players is not a failure of the system and is completely 100% a failure of the GM.

First, I do agree that the appeal of playing AdEva is that you feel like being railroaded and seeing how your character deals with it. I don't, however, agree at all that this is the antithesis of a roleplaying game. Maybe we have different definitions of what a roleplaying game is, and you're going to need to explain yourself a little bit more. A roleplaying game is, most fundamentally, a game where a player takes on a role ("plays a role") and reacts to the setting. Not having any plot levers to pull doesn't mean this is not a roleplaying game, because the internal struggle in a character can be more interesting and important than the external challenges the character faces. So, in my mind, AdEva is more of a roleplaying game than a high-fantasy adventure where you are the hero who has to decide which of the three cities to rescue from the dragon king first.

Is your argument really best summed up as "AdEva is not a roleplaying game because my GM doesn't let me change my character's situation or provide me with any real choice?"

But even disregarding the idea that AdEva is not really a roleplaying game which is irrelevant to the point at hand,
>Kindly provide alternative explanations for plot levers your PCs can tug at in the game.
Sure!

cont.
>>
>>46028449
First, the GM needs to understand that the players are the main characters. They are the heroes! The game literally revolves around them. In order to provide levers for the characters to pull, consider:

Having the character's families be involved in very deep NERV workings. If a character's estranged brother is NERV's science director, will the character make amends? Will she crush him at the first chance she has? Will she hear his side of the story?

Have the characters know that they are being manipulated. This was something that happened in my v2.5 game, where two players decided they wanted to take the Fanatical trait and discussed two organizations that were at ideological odds with each other -- without discussing it between themselves first. So, a big part of the game (for me at least, but you can adopt this method) is that there are two opposing sides that are trying to puppet NERV. Will the two players fight? Find common ground? Rebel? Ultimately they are the ones in the pilot seats. If the manufacturers give them an override key to disable NERV's safeguards in the completely reasonable expectation that their brainwashed pawn will behave, what will the brainwashed pawn actually do after being subjected to severe mental trauma inexplicable to psychology?

Have the characters be corrupted by an outside force that is powerful. Remember, the pilots are special. They are heroes. There is nobody who can do their job but them. Why is up to the GM. The result is that they are high-profile targets for anyone or anything willing to subvert them. Promises of power? Bringing back the dead? Literally genie wishes? Give the pilots what they want, and let them have the option not to choose it. Sounds like another lever to me.

cont.
>>
File: Angel3-WIP5-small.png (789 KB, 900x600) Image search: [Google]
Angel3-WIP5-small.png
789 KB, 900x600
>>46028588
Have the adults involve the pilots in their machinations. Misuto didn't, but what if she knew just what Rei was and how Shinji had a clear bill of do-anything from his dad? You say this is another way to railroad the players, but I say this is another way of giving the players more agency. Do they follow? Do they make a mistake and fumble? Are they discovered? Is Misuto in a world of shit for trusting kids?

Give the players a real ability to defect. Give the players real power. Have them completely lucid while the Eva is berserk and not subject to NERV's petty rules. Let them watch the world burn. And then show them the consequences for doing it. Make the rational and powerful adults fear the pilots that dare go willingly into those beasts. And let them remember that there is no other who can.

Oh sure, maybe if you want to just sit and roleplay out your feelings, that's fine. That can be fun. Play "my heart will go on" while a classmate confesses awkwardly on the roof and the pilot has to weigh his choices. If you feel that a "I sit in base while an Angel comes at me every other session and I go crazy from it" is a fun time, that's great! But if you want players to have more agency, you need to think outside the box. That can be infinitely more fun.
>>
File: 1345761414448.jpg (420 KB, 850x1263) Image search: [Google]
1345761414448.jpg
420 KB, 850x1263
>>46028694
Misato*

tl;dr: swing it so the characters are important enough that they stay relevant even when they run away. Make running away a viable choice, but don't let your players make characters who absolutely cannot be motivated to pilot. Introduce more adults and outside forces to the monolithic framework of the paramilitary organization so that cracks form for the players to hide in.

Contrive the players' importance. Make them the centerpiece of the story. Make their personal problems vastly more important than saving the world or humanity, Make the story about the players, not about saving the world. Then, everything is a lever for the players to pull. Do they make friends? Do they share their deep emotional secrets? Do they fight? Do they fall in love? Do they pull pranks? Do they disobey orders and leave their fallen friend behind? Do they knock over the other guy in the wheelchair?

The easiest thing to do always is to make your players fight among themselves.
>>
File: worlds greatest mom.gif (318 KB, 500x658) Image search: [Google]
worlds greatest mom.gif
318 KB, 500x658
PS. Yui best mom.
>>
Played an earlier version of v3, and been kicking around an idea for a campaign for awhile now but one of my core players has had trash availability for ages. I definitely say to give it a go
>>
File: dats pretty gay.gif (789 KB, 607x500) Image search: [Google]
dats pretty gay.gif
789 KB, 607x500
>>
>>46027974
>Kindly provide alternative explanations for plot levers your PCs can tug at in the game.

The devs themselves already provide advice on this in their own goddamn book.

>An Open Secret
>Another option towards increasing the agency of the pilots is to change up the inherent assumed structure of the conspiracy that surrounds Nerv. The major reason why Agency is such an issue in an AdEva game is that so much of what is going on is buried so deep that the players can have trouble getting any traction. It is impossible to investigate the global conspiracy before you know that the conspiracy exists, and that is the sort of initial clue that it can be difficult for children to just stumble into. Indeed, even if the pilots did discover the existence of such a shadowy organization, it would be unwise of them to let anyone know what they had discovered lest they attract the attention of forces that wish to cover up the leak. This sets the minimum level of competence to participate in the plot rather high, and often out of reach of the average teenager.
>With that in mind, an easy way to address the agency issue is to change the nature of the plot structure. To lower the bar rather than give the character the tools to jump that high.
>For example, by making the forces of the Global Conspiracy a faction vying for control within Nerv (instead of serving as the illusive puppet masters) it is possible to create an internal conflict within the organization. Two or more factions of Nerv have their own long term plans for the Evangelions and the related technology, probably mutually exclusive plans, but neither one of them can afford to try and purge the other while the Angels are such a powerful and dangerous mutual enemy. For this sort of setup Seele and the Eigenart Initiative form the most obvious diametrically opposed parties, but other faction splits are possible as well.
>>
>>46033806

>The key difference between this and the all-powerful puppet master organization setup is that a large portion of Nerv knows about this conflict behind the scenes. Each side is waiting for its chance to move against the other, and both sides probably push the limits of brinkmanship as they jockey for superiority, but due to the threat of the Angels all they can do is draw lines in the sand and make plans… for now, at any rate. Once the Angels are removed from the picture, it is likely that things will start to happen very quickly as both sides sprint towards their own endgames while sabotaging all competition.
>This setup allows the players to be made aware of the larger political situation much earlier in the plot, as well as participate. After all, as the pilots of the Evangelions they will be important pawns that are likely to be courted by both sides of the conflict. This lowers the entry level into the plot to such a degree than even a normal teenager, with the resources of an Evangelion Pilot, can have ample opportunity to explore the political landscape and effect lasting change of some kind or another.

So really, the game flat out tells you that you don't need to stick to the same conspiracy setup and ironcfisted plot control that the shows setup has. As long as your players have enough of a reason to not completely trust Nerv, thats all the game needs.

Like, lets say your game is done in such a way that destroy the Angel cores isn't actually possible. You just destroy the Angel, dig out the core, and then put them into deep freeze. Half of Nerv wants to just keep the cores frozen until we finally find a way to get rid of them for good, the other half of Nerv wants to experiment on the cores and try to figure out how to harness their power and control the Angels. Both sides know the other side exists, and eventually someone is going to make a move that forces the other side's hand, but right now neither side can afford to press the issue.
>>
File: LOL fred.jpg (9 KB, 238x200) Image search: [Google]
LOL fred.jpg
9 KB, 238x200
>>46027714
>>46027663
These look super helpful, are they from V3.05 or V2.5?

pic semi-related
>>
File: weapon properties.png (99 KB, 1374x801) Image search: [Google]
weapon properties.png
99 KB, 1374x801
>>46034789
v3.05
>>
File: anime girl with gun.jpg (63 KB, 1240x652) Image search: [Google]
anime girl with gun.jpg
63 KB, 1240x652
>>46034909
Thanks so much, these look like they will be a time saver.
>>
>>46035036
They help, but constantly looking up Hit Effects and Sync Ratio effects still sucks. The system is set up in such a way that you can get hit, gain positive Sync Disruption, bump yourself up a tier in Sync Ratio, gain a penalty to Strain Threshold, which causes your existing Strain to overflow into a Fatigue that may or may not knock you unconscious.

That's cool, but requires two lookup tables and three calculations.
>>
>>46035159
I'm sure there's a way to make some big table for all of that? Or maybe a program/flowchart so you can complete it all in one go?
>>
File: A_Farewell_To_Arms.png (490 KB, 900x1314) Image search: [Google]
A_Farewell_To_Arms.png
490 KB, 900x1314
>>46035376
Excel helped with the SR lookups and derived calculations, but made it more difficult to keep track of interval-based hit effects, so I started working on a small application that would keep track of combat.

It's not really done at all, but have a look if you want https://github.com/SpessMahrine/AdEva3CombAsst
>>
>>46035586
I can see where you're going with this. What language is this in? I'm still in uni so my knowledge of languages isn't the most expansive but I had imagined potentially some Java or C++ program that you could use to input the data in and it would show you net end results.
>>
>>46035712
Python, so it's dead simple, I think. The original scope of the project was a chat bot for Discord because that's what my group uses, but I've written it to be general enough to be used in IRC if you have a little bit of Python knowledge. A GUI or a web interface might be neat in the future.
>>
>>46035893
My playgroup meets IRL so it would probably be more convenient to write a simple GUI for it. If another one of these threads comes up and I've written it I'd happily post it on github so anyone could use it. Can't promise it would be amazing but anything that could help speed things up would probably be a help.
>>
File: condition test.png (70 KB, 816x959) Image search: [Google]
condition test.png
70 KB, 816x959
>>46035939
My group knows each other IRL but we live just far enough away that it's impractical for us to meet, so we make do with voice. It's not the best, but PMing is easy and Discord allows for a lot of individual rooms for scheming.

If you end up doing anything as far as writing code is concerned, drop a note on my GitHub. You can probably build a GUI layer on what I have so far, but honestly until it does more I don't see much use. I'm hoping to get some time this weekend to put some more work into this.
>>
>>46036130
Looks like you've already got yourself in a good starting position. I'll leave a note if I cobble anything together.
>>
Not gonna lie, Nerv Bridge Simulator threads have made me pretty pumped to play AdEva. Unfortunately its seems like finding a game is kind of difficult, and no one local here is familiar enough with Eva to give it a try.
>>
>>46037432

>Boy, these quest threads are fun! They make me want to play p&p games :^)

This is the state of modern /tg/.
>>
File: RobGrindes-shrug-143px.png (45 KB, 207x143) Image search: [Google]
RobGrindes-shrug-143px.png
45 KB, 207x143
>>46037519
Well yeah, it reminded me about Eva being an action packed dramafest of a setting, but okay.
>>
>>46037613
Don't mind that guy, it's probably >>46027974 who thinks AdEva isn't even a real roleplaying game. NERV Bridge Simulator is pretty great, eh kills waifus and doesn't afraid of anything. Truth be told, I was thinking of running an Evangelion quest, but after putting in a lot of those ideas into an actual AdEva campaign, I'm not too keen to do more and end up not meeting the bar that's been set.
>>
>>46027974
...but it's the opposite.
People like noncombat sessions more than combat sessions most of the time
>>
>>46038221

Well, take it up with BMJ and Latooni, because those are the people I've heard those words from.
>>
>>46038340
Still waiting on an explanation on what you mean by the "AdEva community."
>>
>>46038492

The IRC chat.

Do you just not keep up with the community at all or something?
>>
>>46038565
No. First, an IRC channel isn't a community by default, it's just a place. If nobody speaks there, it's as much a community as an empty room is a party.

Second, when you say "community" you probably actually mean "the developers," and by that reasoning you can kind of figure why they like combat more. That's what the vast majority of the system is, of course they are going to like it if they want to keep working on it. Don't project developers' preferences on people who just want to play the system.
>>
>>46038684
>IRC channel isn't a community by default

Lol ok m8

Look, you didn't even know the IRC chat was a thing, and now you're going full sperg to justify that by "most people" you meant "the one or two groups I've played with." Quit being a faggot and deal with the fact that you are wrong on this one
>>
>>46038844
I know what IRC is, and for the hours I've spent idling there back when v2 was being developed, nobody said anything. Just another channel of dead air. I popped in there a few months ago and wow look at that, same thing.

Also, if you can generalize from what two people said, why can't I generalize with the ~10 or so people I've played this system with? None of us really liked the combat.
>>
On the narrative side, has anyone run an EVA game with Bliss Stage? How was it? Is it as awful as everyone says it is?
>>
>>46038967
>I know what IRC is

That's quite specifically not what I said. I said you didn't know the AdEva channel was a thing, nor anything of the community that dwells within it, and this freudian slip really is not helping your case, nor is pretending to have knowledge of a community you've clearly never involved yourself of.

I am "generalizing" through what the literal developers of the game have told me of their community's typical preferences. You're the exception to the rule, grats.
>>
>>46039042
>On the narrative side, has anyone run an EVA game with Bliss Stage?
Bliss Stage is very tied to its own setting, which is quite different from Evangelion. Dunno why you'd do that.
>>
>>46039093
Is the IRC populated by static usually?
>>
>>46039093
If you say "community" but mean "the development IRC channel" then don't be a smart-ass about it when you're misunderstood.
>>
>>46039117
It's pretty close thematically.
I just wanted to hear about the system from someone who'd run it.
>>
>>46039331
I doubt you'll find anyone who's run something like that. You'll probably need to be lucky to find someone who's even ran Bliss Stage as itself, given how niche the thing is. I played a single session many years ago, but that's about the extent of anyone I know's interactions with the game.
>>
>>46039397
Damn.
Had no idea it was that obscure.
>>
>>46038340

I can't speak for Latooni or anyone else in the IRC, but I don't remember ever saying that. Maybe it was in the context of a specific topic, as opposed to a generalization? Or that the rules of the game are generally more concerned with Combat than non-combat, because that is what players want (the rules to cover)?

>>46038684

I would actually love to have more focus on Noncombat in the rules specifically because the system as-is seeming places more focus on combat that it is due (given the ratio of combat to non-combat sessions). Its just damned hard to come up with non-combat rules beyond Skills that don't tell people how to roleplay or otherwise constrain them as much as they help.
>>
>>46039749
Honestly, I'm of the opinion that noncombat scenarios doesn't need a lot of rules. It's taken some time to adjust to, but the way opposed skills work in v3.05 is interesting in a good way. Aspects are good, I like them. It's probably not a unique idea, but a good one to include.

I'm not seeing a pressing need for more noncombat rules, but I do see a potential to include more choices for drawbacks and assets. I know there's already a lot, but nothing wrong with having very niche and specific things in there.

Another noncombat thing would be ideas for scenarios, since the GM book is a little sparse on those. I'm glad Nightmare in the 8th Dimension has been included. That was some fun times.\
>>
>>46040014

What kind of scenarios would you want? Noncombat ones specifically? What about still like the Arrows one, that starts out of combat but leads into the next fight?
>>
>>46041563
Now that I'm writing this out, it feels like a request for the devs to plan my sessions and spoonfeed me, but oh well.

The Three Arrows is a good scenario. I like it. Very anime. Versatile.

Generally speaking, anything that involves the entire party is good. I have a real problem keeping the group together outside of combat. Regarding specific scenarios:

* More teenagers doing teenager things. Slumber party with truth or dare. Laser tag or paintball tournament. Being the subject of pranks at school, either because of malicious bullying or just for fun.
* Setting exploration setpieces. Players are nosy, but not everything needs to be off-limits. Sometimes there's just mundane things that are interesting to walk around and interact with. Maybe these can be not so much scenarios as pre-written descriptions to read out to players. Yeah yeah, I've written my own and this feels needy, but having a proofread description for Central Dogma, an Evangelion undergoing emergency repair, or for a destroyed neighborhood could be nice. Anything special that can be appropriated to clue the players into some of the varying mysteries can be great too.
* A disinformation scenario (or series of small details) to include that is intended specifically to provide red herrings to nosy players or to give them a spook, but it turns out it really was nothing all along. (OR WAS IT?)
* Family drama, kind of in the vein of Trial of the century. Not everyone is an orphan! Sometimes families get involved. Sometimes bystanders are implicated by an angry mob. Wrong last name?
* Paparazzi. Going with the "NERV is actually competent" assumption, pilots are VIPs and would have their identities be kept secret. This is a scenario for the times when the pilots get outed in public when they are deliberately trying to keep a low profile. This could easily last several sessions and could go in various directions, depending on when it happens, how it happens, and who the pilots are.
>>
>>46042327
>not making the pilots public heroes with their own toy lines and merchandising out the ass so that Nerv can squeeze even more money out of people
>>
>>46043689
If you want to make things easy for the apocalypse cults and/or Eigenart, sure.
>>
>>46043952
Not when the 6-7 different shadow factions think they can control, influence, or simply ignore the children, and most of them need them to succeed up to certain points anyways.
The one that didn't was the half faction of angel cultists controlled by another faction, but got a biiiit out of hand
>>
>>46017931
My experience playing AdEva is such that I started making my own fork of it. I wouldn't play it again if you paid me.
>>
>>46045231
I can't wait to see it! Hopefully it solves all the problems.
>>
>>46042327
>teenagers doing teenager things
Some of my favourite parts of my game are literally just school days with banter between PCs (and NPCs).
>Paparazzi
We also had this, kinda. A hilariously inaccurate Panorama episode with a lot of 'wait, how did they get this deep into NERV?' overtones.
>>
>>46046102
We're running a campaign while building it. So far it only has the bare chargen and combat necessities, but we'll get there.
>>
>>46017931
Know that whatever version of adeva you play, your enjoyment of the game will always be in spite of the system, not because of it. All versions are heavily focused on combat (using Dark Heresy no less) instead of complex social interaction between deeply flawed characters. In fact, the systems practically treats evangelion as nothing more than fluff to justify their combats. You will not find any mechanics that reinforce or focus on character gets, their interactions with each other or the setting, or really anything that makes Evangelion Evangelion. You may as well freeform.
>>
>>46027682
>top generals and tacticians
>NERV

Yeah okay, cool AU bro.
>>
>>46046263
What kind of stuff are you going with?
Anything you're willing to share at all, beyond It's Not Mainline AdEva?
>>
File: 1451658751680.jpg (23 KB, 606x343) Image search: [Google]
1451658751680.jpg
23 KB, 606x343
I just ended a 3 month long campaign of AdEva IRL and now my group is 2 sessions into the sequel. So far we're having a bunch of fun. Last session one of my players broke down the door of an alien bubble house and got partially encased in concrete for his trouble. Then they got a stern talking to by their Commander and their alien Operations Director. Immediately afterwards, they broke into alien Fight Club, hid in the marshmellow walls and watched one of their alien Eva co-pilots get her ass kicked. Then alien Daredevil showed up and all hell broke loose.

So far I'm taking the original system and running with it. I now have custom rules for Social Combat and RS Hoppers (like the Funnels from Gundam) and many other things. I've probably destroyed the game balance but fuck it, we're having fun.

So yeah, just chiming in to let BMJ know that I've played a successful IRL campaign and we're getting started on our second. Maybe one of these days I'll update that character sheet I made now that I've played an actual campaign and I know what stats are important.
>>
File: k.jpg (50 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
k.jpg
50 KB, 800x800
>>46047522
I don't think BMJ was in the thread (I wasn't really looking to be honest)

I kind of want to make this a bit of a general (maybe more people will play it and give feedback?)
>>
>>46047600
see >>46039749
>>
>>46047616
Oh shit, my bad
>>
>>46047100
Well, the goals are:
-Basing lore on Rebuild some more, including appropriate mechanical additions
-Making combat less of a crunchy drag while retaining the tactical options
-Reducing granularity of skills to what is actually necessary
-Making personal skills influence Eva combat without restricting build options
-Removing the system's inherent player vs GM mechanics
>>
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1u1TRAXu_MsW6xhvMb8-R1rnr_baLRA-uY_9K4HmqAEI/edit

Has anyone played this before? Know if it's any good?
>>
>>46046707

Well thats just demonstrably false.
>>
>>46048954
>-Basing lore on Rebuild some more, including appropriate mechanical additions

So, can you ignore Mari and 3.33?
>>
Last NBS thread was quite boring, I fear Nerv-Hq is losing steam
>>
>>46051991
No need to ignore them when you can just pick out the worthwhile parts. Double entry for instance, which is statted and has its own rules.
>>
>>46051495
And your demonstration of how it is false is...?
>>
>>46052213
Not really, the whole sneekybreeky scene at the MAGI floor looks like it's gonna be a fucking party.
I'd actually really like to see more P-Scale events like this.
>>
>>46052213
Bruh, at the rate we've been burying our pilots, the PC is going to be taking to the field himself in a Provisional Unit stitched together from the remains of other other Evas sooner rather than later. A little bit of innabase is fine.
>>
>>46060647
Now that would be an interesting experience
but honestly, don't let Cegremo hear this. He might get some ideas. Despair-inducing ideas
>>
I actually had a pretty cool idea for an AdEva campaign, particularly a series of side villains that the party could possibly face.
I call them: The Seraph Corps. A series of humanoid Angels that operate both in P-scale tactics and E-scale anti-Eva combat. Basically a small squad of Tabrizes... Tabrizii... Tabrizim... Fuck it, basically imagine like ten Kaworu Navy Seals just waltzing into a region and fucking shit up for everybody.
In reality, they aren't "Angels" at all. They're actually humans/Lilim that, under years of extensive training (on top of combat experience and possibly even piloting training), have learned how to utilize their personal AT fields to their fullest potential. Their AT capabilities rival that of late-game Angels. However, this power comes at a cost; namely, their Ego Barrier's integrity. This effect typically results in great physical strain on their bodies. Nosebleeds, headaches, nausea, or even coughing up blood/LCL after a more powerful AT skill. Over-exertion can possibly even cause total AT field failure, which can outright kill them instantly.
>>
>>46039331
I haven't ran it as an Eva game, but I've run and played it before. You could easily convert it for Eva if you really wanted to, you would just have to refluff a few things and remember that it's a narrative based system and literally cannot do tactical combat or anything like that.
>>
>>46064404
Back when AdEva used Dark Heresy, I ended up giving the pilots Psy Rating. This sounds a lot like that.

The thing I learned is that if you're thinking about giving pilots psy rating, don't.
Thread replies: 98
Thread images: 21

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.