[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Pathfinder General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 22
Pathfinder General /pfg/

Nubian Princess Edition

Unified /pfg/ link repository: http://pastebin.com/FUmT0hEk

Old Thread: >>46002690
>>
>>46013299
>Where does it say invigorating suit?
In student of astral suit prereqs.
Soulknife doesn't get two powers known until level 5.
>>
>>46013352
Gifted Blade qualifies at Soulknife 3. They can manifest both powers because they "prepare" powers.
>>
File: Houri Update.jpg (57 KB, 513x720) Image search: [Google]
Houri Update.jpg
57 KB, 513x720
Repostin' in my continued quest for feedback. Playtest for Lords of the Mists - the Midway Faire: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pBP7kQ14gCc-xTsjIdK7EJov38IpDZFG73anj6KyifI/edit?usp=sharing
>>
>>46013366
I don't think that's how it works.
>>46013387 Gareth, can you ask someone who worked on ultimate psionics and/or PoW1 if gifted blade needs to be level 3 or 5 to qualify for powers prerequisite of awakened blade?
>>
>>46013352
Then it would be better to use Gifted Blade 3/Aegis 3, presumably with Initiator Soul to meet the maneuvers prereq of Awakened Blade?
>>
>>46013446
That's absolutely how it works, having been confirmed by DSP on this board a dozen fucking times
>>
>>46013446
Third level, my friend. Both RAW and RAI.
>>
>>46013463
>>46013478
>>46013533
I see, thanks. I've been away from PF for four months or so so probably missed it.
Then I'll probably go, uh, aegis4/soulknife3/ab10 with warsoul for disciplines I'd use often that would be advanced by ab, +2ML trait for it, and initiator's soul to get situational maneuvers. Doing so gives ab stances at ML 10 and 15, ie 1 level late for 5th level stances and spot on for 8th level ones.
Or aegis4/soulknife3/metaforge3/ab10. It doesn't even need psywar dip with this ruling.
>>
>>46012995
Pathfinder has a prestige class with a similar idea called the Daivrat, but I don't know if it's any good. Gets 9/10 casting progression, a free improved familiar, and free Elemental Focus/Greater Elemental Focus, so I guess it's probably okay.

>>46013188
Eh, fair enough. You could pin that up on one writer doing his own thing and it getting to slip through the cracks, but I don't know that's actually the case. But if Sage Bloodline did make you a prepared caster, it'd basically just be a wizard. Sorcerer and wizard have too few class features to differentiate them otherwise.
>>
>>46013662
But Gifted Blade and War Soul don't stack, right? They both replace Psychic Strike. You'd have to rely on Aegis entirely for maneuvers unless you started stacking on Martial Training.
>>
>>46013775
We're assuming Sidebar Soulknife is in play, since that's the "you're actually playing in a game with competent classes" option.
>>
>>46013533
Two questions about Soulknife into awakened blade:
1) If you multiclass before PrCing and so only have 1 or 2 levels of Soulknife, does Awakened Blade still advance your mind blade bonus even if you don't have the Enhanced Mind Blade class feature?
2) The sidebar in PsiAug Soulknives says that advancing enhancement bonus and gifted blade manifester level are inherently linked and one always boosts the other: does this mean that Awakened Blade can advance Gifted Blade manifesting at all levels, including 1st and 6th?
>>
>>46013827
Can you give me a quick source for that sidebar? I'll need to try and convince the GM who is already dubious about 3pp
>>
>>46013837
Passed to internal.
>>
>>46013924
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XZ7YUgvH7vgDqJvJs8vaQYCPV6K6wh8YAbW_ElFUHX4/edit?pli=1
Soulknives, High Psionics Campaigns, and You
It assumes other players are playing T3+ classes, or at least decently optimized T4 ones.
>>
>>46013837
1) It would not progress the feature if you don't have it (similarly to Natural Blade)
2) It would advanced Gifted Blade at an 8/10 progression. The sidebar notes that if a PrC has its own psionics progression separate from the mind blade progression, they remain separate.
>>
>>46013975
Hey Gareth!

Rogue Talent to gank Stalker Arts when?
>>
Still kind of wish there was more Rahadoum scenarios, so we can get a firm grip on what's allowed there, plus the challenge of adventuring without a entire source of power. We got people arguing whether or not witches are allowed there. And what about Occult?

Maybe I'm just getting tired of the Usual Locations.
>>
>>46013387
Can I join your game so I can playtest your stuff?
>>
>>46014091
Can you show up in southern Michigan with less than two days' warning?

'Cause that's the game I've got. I am severely deprived of the chance to play.
>>
>>46013990
Thanks for the quick answers.

>tfw gifted blade into augmented blade can never have a manifesting level equal to its HD
>>
>>46013990
>1) It would not progress the feature if you don't have it (similarly to Natural Blade)
I swear I saw Chris ruling differently, but can't find it on gitp. It was on old DSP forum maybe? Can you ask him please?
2) Last time I asked you couldn't progress both mind blade and any other manifesting with awakened blade - it hs only one progression that can be used either on manifesting or mind blade.
>>
So I'm still really new to pathfinder, I'm in no way a powergamer but I do want to stay away from trap options and making my character shit.

I'm thinking about building a ranger with a focus on bows or throwing weapons. Nice and simple.

Any ideas or tips?
>>
How does Nethys view occult classes?
>>
>>46014151
Go with bows, for starters. Bows are hard to fuck up. Throwing weapons are easy to fuck up.
>>
>>46014151
Google 'Pathfinder Ranger Guide'. Read and get basic advice, go with its most general recommendations, don't do anything it says is bad, and you're probably fine for a competent non-minmaxed build.
>>
>>46014017
Probably not going to happen anon.

Rogues and Stalkers have different focuses, and most stalker arts are pretty stalker specific, especially those that require Ki. It's also kind of unfair to rogue to force even more direct comparison to the stalker than already exists, better to let them have their own things.

Yes, stalkers can pull rogue talents, but by RAW only one rogue talent, no advanced talents and no Ki Pool or Underhanded. For the most part they just do their own thing, and that's fine.
>>
What are some methods to secure my personal demiplane?
I want to make damn sure some asshole doesn't just teleport in when I'm gone. Some asshole includes all outsiders, not just wizards. Basically everyone but me, really. However, I also want to make sure this effect allows ME to teleport in and out at will.
Any ideas?
>>
>>46014151
Some sort of Arcane Archer shit would also be cool.

>>46014207
>>46014182
Ok thanks for the tips
>>
>>46014230
http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/spells/mageSPrivateSanctum.html the whole demiplane.
>>
>>46014219
The comparison is made already, and you can't change that. You made a Rogue, you can't try to avoid comparisons.
>>
>>46014182

>Using a bow before you get a composite bow

Nah, thrown weapons are great at levels 1-1
>>
>>46014151
Go play Path of War.
>>
>>46014239
If you want to be an arcane-casting archer, there's actually a magus archetype that will work out for you better than Ranger or the actual Arcane Archer prestige class:

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/magus/archetypes/paizo---magus-archetypes/eldritch-archer-magus-archetype

It's relatively new though, and you probably won't find many guides for it. A lot of the same basic advice for an archery ranger will still apply though.
>>
>>46014102
...If it were six months ago, I could. Originally FROM Michigan, currently much, much further south.

Totally would if we were still there, though.
>>
>>46014264
People will eventually figure out that there's a hidden demiplane somewhere out there when they note that I keep literally disappearing whenever I leave the plane. Not sure how they'd actually find the damn thing, but I guess they could just trial-and-error their way inside, no?
>>
>>46014117
1) I can't ask him right now, no. However, he and I have already discussed it multiple times and what I just gave you is the answer that we came up. I could have sworn this was also addressed on GitP, but I can't find a ruling on it either,

2) That's incorrect. Awakened Blade has been a class that's caused a lot of confusion, but if you're going on an old ruling that may or may not have been true, it's probably best to just restart. This is what Awakened Blade gives:

>10/10 mind blade progression
>10/10 psychic warrior path progression
>8/10 psionics progression, which can be used on any psionic class you have, but if you don't progress Gifted Blade with it, Gifted Blade is just not progressed

The relevant text from the sidebar in PsiAug: Soulknives.

>If the class specifically advances manifesting and specifically advances the mind blade, then the gifted blade’s manifesting and mind blade are advanced independently so as to not receive double the normal advancement rate (or if they possessed manifesting from another class, they could choose to advance that manifesting class’s powers instead; example being a soulknife/psychic warrior who advances their mind blade and psychic warrior manifesting, but does not advance their gifted blade manifesting).
>>
>>46013662
So ive been out of the game for a while (my regular group switched to 5e... Really dull) but what is the class your takeing those 10 levels in?
>>
>>46014379
Awakened Blade
>>
>>46014342
I don't think that's how it works. The astral and ethereal planes are too big for someone to just narrow down which tiny portion of it is your private demiplane. It's like if I had a small asteroid somewhere else in the universe that I built a cool house on, you wouldn't be able to just figure out which one is mine by looking around until you find an asteroid with a house on it. Not unless you're immortal and reeeeally don't have anything better to do with your time.
>>
>>46014292
Stalkers are more assassins than rogues.
Actually not especially geared for skillmonkey or party face builds like rogues can be.

Yes I still think it would be cool to have a discipline that was more based on misdirection and feints than flat-out stealth
>>
>>46014292
Yes, the comparison is made. But that doesn't mean we need to make it any more obvious. Both classes have their own unique toys to play with and it ought to stay that way.

I dealt with this a lot building the PoW:E archetypes. That's why the Hidden Blade has it's own fluff and the Monk of the Silver Fist isn't trying to go toe to toe with the Steelfist Commando.
>>
Aside from fighters, barbarians and synthesists what are some really good classes that are start with a decent amount of power during the first 3 levels or so of the game?

Casters with color spray are not under consideration as the characters in question are expected to fight monsters a few HD above them.
>>
>>46014342
>trial-and-error
Planes are infinite iirc. If they can't scry you or anyone or anything else in your demiplane, the only way in for someone who never been there is permanent gate, if you created one, I think
>>
>>46014415
Honestly, I just want to be able to use more of your fightan stuff without dealing with Initiating.
>>
>>46014403
>>46014441
Fair enough.
The hard part is now to scrounge up the fucking like 2 million gold it'll cost to permanency all of those sanctum spells.
>>
>>46014405
Like mithral current?
>>
>>46013282
>centaur subspecies/breeds
holy shit yes
>>
>>46014455
Not sure how much help I can give you. They kind of go hand in hand.
>>
>>46014458
>2 million gold
Permanencying 20 10ft cubes per level (one casting of greater create demiplane) costs 22500. Permanencying 27 10ft cubes per level (one casting of mages private sanctum) costs 12500.
>>
>>46013684
If Prestige Classes weren't disincentivized so hard and it didn't cough up a caster level, Daivrat would be super fun. You get a genie buddy who goes spell hunting for you.
>>
>>46014422

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/rapid-shot-combat---final
>>
>>46014563
You permanency the cubes per cast and not per cube?
Holy shit, what a fucking meme.
Thanks, paizo.
>>
>>46014563
Using Timeless trait for functionally permanency with no cost per individual spell?
>>
>>46014616
Demiplanes are already overpriced for what is essentially glorified rope trick.
>>
File: Tattooed01.jpg (38 KB, 400x528) Image search: [Google]
Tattooed01.jpg
38 KB, 400x528
>tattooed sorcerer doesn't stack with most wildblooded bloodlines without GM fiat
>most people give me funny looks when I ask about making magic tattoos that aren't just "more expensive, shittier scrolls"
>none of the groups I would find at times I can make allow 3pp, and actively scoff at anyone who uses it
>no idea where to look for groups anymore, sorely tempted to just give up entirely

So how have the rest of you been doing? Make any progress with your group?
Being an IRCfag is suffering
>>
>>46014697
Nah, I've given up on the idea of my PC wanting to invent spells so that he'll have a cool legacy in the field of magic. My DM just really isn't working with me on it, and the only new spell I've been able to create is a 1st level spell that counts the value of all the treasure in a 10ft radius circle. I've just silently discarded the idea of trying to make new spells.
>>
>>46014697
I've decided to busy myself by "improving" various Paizo Prestige Classes as well as dragging some fitting 3.5 Prestiges into the light as well.

... By which I mean, "change them to be not-shit, and give them access to DDS/DSP material". Things like the Ulfen Guard, which would work wonderfully for a Warder but is currently no good because it doesn't advance initiating. Or a variety of the Hellknight Signifier that works with Psionics.
>>
>>46014422
Color Spray is still a shotgun blast of daze/stun against something over 5 HD desu.

And if those are the benchmarks, any Cleric or Druid, various Oracles, Paladins, Rangers, Unchained Rogues and Monks. Honestly, anything with 3/4 BAB or better that isn't an Investigator, a Gunslinger not rocking Bolt Ace/using Mysterious Stranger as a one-drop for a CHA class, a chained Rogue/Monk or Occult class.
>>
>>46014811
>dragging some fitting 3.5 Prestiges into the light as well
Abjurant Champion and Swiftblade, with psionic and/or initiating versions, please.
>>
>>46014843
Speaking of, how do I squeeze the most mileage out of Color Spray and keep it relevant for as long as possible? Is there anything other than the Awesome Display revelation from the Heavens oracle mystery that can reduce the effective HD of a monster or increase the inherent HD limits of Color Spray?
>>
How good is Akashic stuff at blasting?
>>
Soooo, if you're a master of many styles monk with crane and snake...how do you generate some aggro so enemies attack you? you know, even though my GM was the man behind the character idea, he's starting to ignore my character after the first turn.
>>
>Silver Crane maneuvers

Who thought all this healing on a martial class was a good idea?
>>
>>46015171

Now you just have to contribute damage
>>
>>46015171

You don't. Martials aren't sticky in Pathfinder; building to be a defense sink doesn't work. Deal damage or inflict crowd control.
>>
File: 288_BNG_2560x1600_Wallpaper.jpg (2 MB, 2560x1600) Image search: [Google]
288_BNG_2560x1600_Wallpaper.jpg
2 MB, 2560x1600
So my current character is centered around the capacity to generate tons of temporary hit points and healing for myself and the team.

I'm a Paladin 2/Warlord 8
I have Martial Power (with a shield)
Deadeye Gambit (with Greater Called Shot so I can do it as necessary)
Unbreakable Gambit
And lots of Silver Crane for targeted and aoe healing.

Anything else I should look at? Temp hitpoints become more powerful with the more sources you have to stack them.
>>
File: vizier4.png (98 KB, 1199x441) Image search: [Google]
vizier4.png
98 KB, 1199x441
>>46015047
Do hand cannons count as blasting?
>>
>>46014697
My group only recently allowed Psionics, and when I GM for them I actively encourage third party stuff. None of them bother using it.
>>
>>46015257
Uh, sure. That sounds good. I just want to do lots of magical damage.

What exactly am I looking at, I'm kinda new to Akashic stuff. From what I understand it's
>make thing
>put points in thing
>thing gets better
>can [bind] thing to make it even better
That's the long and short of it, right?
>>
>>46015313
Basically.

My favorite metaphor for the system is that its like a space ship in a sci-fi show (or in say, the game FTL). You have a limited amount of power, and you have to determine where to place it.
Or in short "FULL POWER TO SHIELDS."
>>
>>46015171
Antagonize is about it. I'd honestly suggest dropping Crane though and taking Archon instead. Doesn't necessarily draw aggro to you, but at least you can force enemies to attack you instead of your allies.
>>
File: 2737272-7930477519-Devil.jpg (908 KB, 1788x2750) Image search: [Google]
2737272-7930477519-Devil.jpg
908 KB, 1788x2750
>tfw playing pic related in my campaign

Thanks DSP for making my weeb related dreams come true.
>>
>>46015171
Find a way to get something like Archon's Aura as a SLA? By which I really just mean sucking your DM's dick, but whatever.

>>46015272
My group is the same way. I even have one player who would probably decline joining our next game if I included psionics in it. He has very particular tastes.
>>
>>46014219
Wait, so it's fair to rogues that stalkers can snag a rogue talent, but it would be unfair to rogues if they could snag a stalker art?
>>
Where is a good place to go for build advice?
>>
File: 1456470177067.jpg (49 KB, 432x537) Image search: [Google]
1456470177067.jpg
49 KB, 432x537
>>46015672
I knew this day would come.
>>
>>46015672
Here works, provided people are warned not to listen to you in particular.

Gr8 b8 m8.
>>
>>46015171
Call Out can work if your Intimidate is extra high but you probably did not have superhuman stat rolls to a) have a monk that can fight at all and b) succeed at Intimidates.
>>
>>46015171
>Crane style
Found your problem.
Want AC? pick barkskin with qiggong, ask the wizard for mage armor and call it a day, don't sacrifice to hit to get AC.
>>
>>46015728
Going one level of inquis can tie his intimidate to his wisdom instead.
>>
>>46013282
What are we thinking, /pfg/? Centaur Ma-nigga-ian Arcanist?
>>
>>46015171
Are you using old Crane Style, or new Crane Style, or newest Crane Style? Paizo nerfed it a while back and then later rebuffed it (although it remains inferior to the original version.
>>
>>46015835
Not him but jesus what the fuck, where do you find each version? Which is up on d20pfsrd?
>>
>>46015835
Is that why Crane Riposte has so much redundant text that implies Crane Wing can deflect without full defense?
>>
>>46015835
They nerfed crane style? I thought they only nerfed crane wing
>>
Question for DSP guys: Does it make big difference if we buy PDFs from a place like the Paizo store vs. buying directly from your website?
>>
>>46015924
It does. Buying from our site directly has the smallest cut taken from our profits.
>>
>>46015724
Sweet.
How do you build a Skillmonkey Investigator?
>>
>>46014617

BIG
BLACK
DICKS
>>
File: Upotte-Sako-in-the-woods.jpg (134 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Upotte-Sako-in-the-woods.jpg
134 KB, 1280x720
>playing as borderline CN/CE elf girl (like, one evil action away from becoming CE)
>she fell in love to the NE ruler of a local minor nation (one of the many nations into which Cheliax fragmented in our campaign) who was her long-time friend before that
>her face when he finally told her that he loves her and even promised her that he will get rid of his wife and son to be able to be with her
>>
What the fuck is a Juju Fetish?
The Juju mystery talks about them but there ain't shit on them on the srd.
>>
>>46015987
If you have to ask how to build a skill monkey, you shouldn't even be playing PF.
>>
>>46015987
Empiricist archetype
Student of Philosophy trait
Bruising Intellect trait

You're done.
>>
>>46016007

Hey, I remember this story! Glad to hear she's getting her happy ending, is she planning for a big wedding, or something more personal?
>>
>where should I ask a question?
>here
>"question"
>lol getgud scrub
>>
>>46016056
Dunno. A major war with outsiders is ongoing right now, so that'll all have to wait.
>>
>>46014999
Awesome Display is the only way to get the HD cap up, but keeping the shotgun daze effective only requires the same old stuff you'd use to keep any save or suck relevant (persistent spell, Save DC boostets, et al.)
>>
What spell would I cast if I wanted to make sure a road remained pristine? Can the spell be cast on milestones/keystones and share the effect on the road/building that way?
>>
>>46015833
I'm thinking new character.
>>
>>46016119

Persistent prestidigitation
>>
>>46016119
Persistent silent image.
>>
>>46016146

Would it have to be cast on every block, though?
>>
>>46016079
The thing is, Skill monkey is literally "have high skill points, invest smartly, maybe grab either traits or abilities to switch one skill stat to another, and perhaps some of the Occult skill unlocks.

It's super easy for an Investigator, especially since they already have Int dependence, lots of class skills for that tasty +4 bonus, and all manner of Cognotogens and other buffs for when they need it.
>>
File: mush-14.jpg (446 KB, 900x1200) Image search: [Google]
mush-14.jpg
446 KB, 900x1200
>yfw persistent create water
>>
>>46016455
Am I missing something?
Persistent just makes targeted spells require the creature to succeed at the save twice.
Is this a meme?
>>
>>46015257
They're not great at it. Their enhancement schedule is locked into the worst set it could be (nothing but elemental "burst" eating up +2s), the range on them's pathetic.

They can do okay, yes, but that essence placed anywhere else to fuel a real weapon would do far far more.
>>
File: 1457647753446.png (595 KB, 894x1350) Image search: [Google]
1457647753446.png
595 KB, 894x1350
>>46013387
The traits here are kinda weak.
The race here is kinda weak by Bloodforge standards too.
The bard archetype is SUPER weak.
>>
>>46016582
Can I get you to expand on this? Details help identify the problems.
>>
>>46013387
Are daoine sidhe basically NEVER supposed to take anything that gives DR?

It's dumb that they don't even want to take DR X/adamantine because whoops, it gets cut through by any iron weapon.

There aren't even any rules for iron vs. steel weapons here!
>>
>>46016652
Does anything besides spells give DR that's worth a fuck?
>>
Is flying kick the first style strike you should get as an unchained monk or is it the first?
>>
>>46016648
Fey-Touched and Court Sworn just... give way too little. They're going to get tossed aside in favor of, like, Unorthodox Method/Practiced Initiator/+2 initiative/+1 Will/etc.

Daoine benefits are about as strong as, like, dreige benefits, so they'd be fine on their own, but they come with a big weakness that pushes them into weaker than dreige. Maybe it's because dreige are a really fucking strong race for Str/Wis classes.

Bard archetype... what can I say? Losing armor and Inspire Courage is real sucky. I sure as hell don't want to give attack/damage bonuses only against two enemy types...
>>
>>46016721
Flying Kick is best after your fast movement rate is +30 or more
>>
if someone get down to -2 and get healed...is he still unconscious? what is it going to happen?
>>
>>46016721

If you dont want elbow strike, sure
>>
>>46016007
Oh fuck, I just realised. Our party druid casts Greater Black Tentacles pretty much every significant encounter. My PC is like a couple in-game days away from inevitably becoming CE (can't even be stopped at this point).
And our DM rules that characters don't know intuitively about their alignment changes - they have to have that pointed out to them somehow to know that their alignment changed.
Which means she'll likely get grappled by GBT in the soonest significant encounter.
>>
>>46016652
The dumbest shit about the daoine is that if you're an initiator daoine, you get the LEAST from Immortal Swordsmanship because it's just another maneuver known.

If you're a caster, you can take Spilled Salt and fuck up an enemy's attack every fight.
>>
>>46016845
Clarification: GBT targets all evil creatures in the area of effect.
>>
>>46016845
>>46016874

>Greater Black Tentacles

This is a meme

It's called something completely different, d20pfsrd just changed its name
>>
>>46016904
What's the proper name, then?
>>
>>46016916
Jatembe's Ire. Anyway, if the druid isn't already NG, they should be wary about the effects using Good-aligned spells might have on their alignment (assuming your DM has those spells affect alignment).
>>
>>46016904
You have no idea what a meme is, do you?
>>
>>46016947
Huh, thanks for the bit of info.
Some spells do affect alignment according to our DM, but this isn't one of them.
>>
>>46016867
I pointed this out last thread--if you're going to do a daoine sidhe initiator, then take the veilweaving race benefit and replace the maneuver. Alternate racial traits aren't there just to be ignored even if the basic ability seems like a waste of space.

Hell, using the Immortal Swordsmanship benefit to get a Counter is pretty much all a NON-initiator is going to use it for.

Is the only way you're going to be happy about this racial feature, that it always counts as readied but never counts against the total number of readied maneuvers an initiator can have? I don't know about Path of War well enough to be able to weigh in on whether or not that's hilariously OP or not.
>>
>>46016968

"an idea, behavior, or style that spreads from person to person within a culture"
>>
File: 1451245844461.jpg (37 KB, 552x571) Image search: [Google]
1451245844461.jpg
37 KB, 552x571
>>46016999
Except the veilweaving trait also replaces your SLAs for no good reason.

Fuck that.
>>
I wish Pathfinder threads didn't always start with degenerate weeb garbage. Most other game generals here don't do this. Just once I'd like to pretend the game isn't the autismo daycare of tabletops.
>>
>>46016652
Well, Any DR that isn't /- can effectively be considered trash or a trap, depending on where it's found.

By the time one gets enough that it would actually make a difference, it can easily be ignored or bypassed.

Then there's the issue of no stacking. Your armor's DR 3/Adamantine, and your 3.5 warlock's DR 2/silver... you just use whichever one value you can apply.

Now mind you you could specifically build towards having much higher DR/- even, but the cost in terms of your build would be astronomical.
>>
>>46017087
DR X/adamantine isn't bad at all.
>>
>>46016994
What? Why wouldn't this spell affect alignment? Its got the [Good] alignment descriptor, was a signature spell of one of the most famous/powerful good-aligned mages in Golarion, and specifically targets only evil things.
>>
>>46013387
If you're going to make daione sidhe +2 to any stat, make their SLAs key off highest mental modifier.
>>
>>46017061
I think you misread, anon. It replaces fey guile, not fey sorcery; that's the skill bonus to Appraise, Diplomacy, and Sense Motive.
>>
>>46017079

L M A O
>>
/tg/ What are your favorite statted Golarion monsters? Unique individuals, rather than generic creatures.
I'm pretty fond of Erum-Hel, Lord of Morghs and Treerazer. Treerazer's ability to make people count as plants for Horrid Wilting, Anti-Plant Shell etc is actually rather cool and something i wish players could do.

Also yes, pretty much nothing is the CR it says it is. I just mean cool dudes who are interesting stat blocks
>>
>>46017116
Only alignment-descriptor buffs and such (e.g. infernal healing) affect alignment, as far as I remember. Also, it's not that relevant anyhow as it takes one to cast such spells way too many times to care to deserve an alignment change. (but I might be misremembering his stance - the last time we talked about this issue was lots of time ago)
Moreover, the druid wouldn't have anything against becoming NG (he's TN right now), as me and the druid are the only non-good party members right now.
>>
>>46017000
Nice dictionary.

How's calling the spell GBT a meme, again?
>>
>>46017141
That's even worse because Diplomacy and Sense Motive are good skills.

Why do I have to give up those bonuses AND Immortal Swordsmanship just for one veil?
>>
Can somebody link me to the Natural Blade feat? I know of Fighter's Blade, but I've never seen this other one.
>>
>>46013160
Why Awakened Blade over Metaforge?
>>
>>46015375
This is a great way to summarize it.

Also, now I want to play a veilweaver that is actually a robot piloted by Tiny creatures.
>Full power to engines!
>Reinforce the structural integrity fields!
>>
>>46017171
I just noticed Treerazer's combat tactics say he uses Greater Vital Strike if forced to move or charge.
Apparently PF writers thought you could Vital Strike on a charge.
>>
>>46017173
Well, I guess your character is fucked then, metaphorically and possibly literally. That's the price to pay for not fitting in with the general alignment of the rest of the party, unfortunately. Maybe the druid will stop using the spell after the first time, but it'll still be an awkward and dangerous first time.

Alternatively, get a Ring of Freedom of Movement.
>>
>>46017179
One veil AND one point of essence. Woo!

I don't know, anon. Best hope Gareth comes back to look.
>>
>>46017295
They're special.
>>
I am designing an encounter that consists of a shitload of skeletal champions.
I want them all to have one teamwork feat that they use constantly.
Is outflank the best options available?
Teamwork feats are shit it seems.
>>
>>46017176

The meme that there is a 1PP spell called "Greater Black Tentacles" in Pathflounder RPG is an idea started by d20pfsrd and spread from person to person within the pfrpg community
>>
>>46017295
I'm gonna guess Treerazer was statted before the FAQ clarifying that you can't use Vital Strike on a charge was put out. It wasn't always common knowledge that it can't be done, you know.

Incidentally, while I find things suddenly breaking if I allow Vital Strike to work with a charge?
>>
So, cestus and brass knucless, why do they exist, and why are they monk weapons?
>>
>>46017299
>Alternatively, get a Ring of Freedom of Movement.
I can just prepare an extract of it, it's in my formula book already.
But preparing it specifically against the tentacles before knowing they'll attack me would be meta and I don't want to metagame.
I guess this is my fate now.
>>
Why are players suicidal? Why is it that because they're PCs players think that they're invincible. The more I run for randoms this more this becomes apparent.
>>
>>46017375
I.... think I get it?

Sorry for being catty at you, in any case.
>>
>>46017375
It was started on the comments of the paizo website's arcane anthology page i believe, D20pfsrd didn't have Arcane Anthology content until like two weeks after that.
>>
>>46017114
no, it's not. At most you get 3/Adamantine for heavy armor, and it isn't cheap at all.

You'll be facing +5s or natural attacks that count as even when it isn't adamantine weapons, it does nothing against magic, it does not stack with DR/- from class abilities...
>>
>>46017407
Because they're actual weapons in real life, you stupid fuck, and because they go on your fists.
>>
Lets say I am a wizard with theoretically infinite spell slots. What buffs should I prioritize each day?

Is there a list out there of all the wizard buffing spells?
>>
>>46017445
Elemental Flux Stance for Earth gives you DR 5/adamantine.
>>
>>46017406

>Incidentally, while I find things suddenly breaking if I allow Vital Strike to work with a charge?

There's a feat that lets you do it, so I doubt it
>>
>>46017472
Irl nukes also exist and I don't see them in the equipment, what's your point? just because they exist irl they should exist in the game? ok, then why are they fucking useless, literally unusable, specially if you're a monk, even though they're listed as "monk" weapons.

If you aren't a monk, pick a gauntlet, half the armors have it, if you are a monk use your unarmed attacks, they're 120% better.
>>
>>46017407
Because paizo are a bunch of retards
>>
>>46017426

Wealth by level, challenge rating, and organized play have instilled this sense of security in all 3e players that MY CHARACTER MUST BE PROPERLY EQUIPPED TO OVERCOME ALL CHALLENGES AND NO CHALLENGE IS TOO HARD FOR ME TO TRIUMPH OVER AND IF NOT THE DM IS A BAD DM
>>
>>46017272
Metaforge just progresses Customization Points/Level of Customizations you can take and Enhanced Mind Blade.

Awakened Blade progresses Initiating and Psionics in addition to all those things (or maybe you trade the Psionics bit for increasing your Customization stuff? I forget exactly how it works). AND it has actual good class features in addition to all that.

The tl;dr is that it's fucking awesome.
>>
>>46017585
Cestus has better crits than an unarmed strike.
It's imaginable that someone somewhere at some point went for a monk crit build focused on that.
>>
>>46017585
Cestus are better for fisticuff builds that aren't monk.
>>
>>46017585
People who dont have monk damage? People who dont even have IUS?

The monk property doesnt mean its only for monks you dangus.
>>
>>46017585
You can enchant brass knuckles is the given reason.
>>
>>46017632
You can also enchant AoMF.
>>
>>46017407
I've answered this before, the last time you thought you were smart.

Cestii are the best critfisher weapons of all the "unarmed" weapons. Since Monk's unarmed damage is worth shit (damage dice are pretty fucking unimportant unless you're doing size-increasing shenanigans) you want to be using some kind of weapon.
>>
>>46017651
Yes, but that takes up your neck slot. I'm not saying that they're better, I'm just saying there are justifiable reasons.
>>
>>46017651
AoMF only goes up to +5 and costs more than a single enchanted weapon. Also >>46017676
>>
>>46017710
Cestus enchantments don't apply to non-fist attacks like kicks and elbow strikes. For a monk, that's pretty relevant.
>>
So is Dreamscarred actually going to make a non-terrible version of the base soulknife, or are they just going to use archetypes as stealth errata?
>>
>>46017733
Monks, even unchained ones, are shit, pick another class if you want to punch stuff, like barb or if you're midly retarded, but not full retard to go monk, brawler.
>>
>>46017763
>doubting str-dumping dex-based monk
>>
File: ow.gif (243 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
ow.gif
243 KB, 640x360
>>46017803

>str dumping monk
>>
>>46017733
I guess. I haven't, nor will I ever, played a Unchained Monk, because the Stalker, Steelfist Commando and Aurora Fist Mystic exist now. So excuse me if I don't really care that Cestii aren't good weapons for Monks.

>>46017752
There's nothing stealth about them. If you want to be a good Soulknife, Psyarm, Augmented Blade, War Soul and Living Legend are all super good options.

>>46017803
I'm doubting the fuck out of it. I can't imagine it's even remotely as good at its job than any PoW class.
>>
>>46017763
>Barbarian
>1d4+Str
>need to keep high as fuck dex for TWF
Brawlers and Unchained Monks are just okay, they're not exceptional.
>>
>>46017828
Pick up either agile AoMF or a 3-level dip into rogue.
Either way, you get dex-to-damage and become much less MAD than a str-monk, making it easier to be good at what you do.
>>
>>46017833
>There's nothing stealth about them.

Not actually putting any fixes directly into the base class is what makes them "stealth errata", anon. Do you really not know that phrase?
>>
>>46017844
>1d4+Str
You mean 1d4+plus crazy amounts of str, right?
Also barb "unarmed" meand claws and bites and all nasty things so go fuck your twf in the ass
>>
>>46017891

barb unarmed means come and get me + snake style
>>
>>46017861
Gareth et. al. have clearly stated this is intentionally their solution to the base Soulknife being mediocre. It's not a "stealth errata" because at no point did they intend for it to fly under the radar. It's a dex-dumped-full-plate-clad errata, clanging about as noisily as possible.
>>
>>46017891
>Also barb "unarmed" meand claws and bites and all nasty things so go fuck your twf in the ass
You mean those things you can only do for as long as you have rage rounds/raging?
>>
>>46017061
sleep snug, smug
>>
>>46017935
Yeah, that doesn't work when you're sleeping, you're right, sorry.
>>
>>46017891
> 1d4+plus crazy amounts of str
>Barb strength
>crazy
Not everyone is allowed to play barely sapient Orcs.
>>
>>46014349
So does this make the best awakened blade build into war soul soulknife 3 / full manifester class 1 / awakened blade X?
>>
>>46017752
Directly changing already published content in a substantial manner is not necessarily a good idea, even if you recognize that the original content is flawed.

I get that it sounds simple, and like a good idea, but as someone who has tangled with a system that WAS operated this way, it can end up being a real fucking mess and hassle to deal with. Publishing new content that upgrades or replaces the old content is probably a better way to handle it.
>>
>>46017216

Seconding this question.
>>
>>46017986
>Barbarians never run out of rage rounds
Someone has never actually played a barbarian <10
>>
>>46014811
Bring Warshaper in pls
>>
>>46018054
I've just been lucky and never starter below 4th level
>>
>>46017079
Like half the threads on /tg/ relate to Retarded Space Empires As Written By 8-Year-Old Boys. We're fine.
>>
Since when does Divine Protection feat no longer give you CHA to saves?
I swear it's always done that.
Now it's some weak-ass counter shit?
>>
>>46018009
Easiest entry is Soulknife (War Soul) 4/Awakened Blade X. Only works if you are in a High Psionics game (which, afaik, is just any game that could also be called High Fantasy, which is like 99% of PF games), because you get Gifted Blade manifesting for free in that kind of game. It's highly recommended by a sidebar in the book, at the very least.

Soulknife 3 gives you the option to cast either Offense or Defensive Precognition (though you don't even need to prepare either of them) and Soulknife 4 gives you 2nd level maneuvers.

>>46018092
Honestly, anybody who is legit crying about anime on 4chan doesn't understand that they're the ones who are in the wrong place.
>>
>>46018115
Got nerfed by errata. Happened a while ago, actually.
>>
>>46017061
Sleep, snug smug.
>>
>>46018115
They nerfed it into the ground. Good riddance. Oracles and Clerics didn't need to be even stronger than they already were.
>>
>>46017216
>>46018036

It's a trait, in Psionics Augmented: Soulknife.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XZ7YUgvH7vgDqJvJs8vaQYCPV6K6wh8YAbW_ElFUHX4/edit
>>
>>46017860
>3-level dip into rogue.

Go deeper into Unchained Rogue, get Sap Adept, Sap Master, and Knockout Artist, become a non-lethal One-Punch Man.
>>
>>46018125
>High Psionics

That sidebar annoys the hell out of me. They said "oh, we're only doing that because we're going to make a better version of the soulknife later", and then instead of actually doing a better version of the soulknife they just made more archetypes for it.
>>
>>46016765
Seconded. Don't care that they give better save bonuses, any bard is hobbled by losing Inspire Courage.
>>
>>46018176
They said they weren't ALLOWED to actually errata soulknife.

>>46018125
>>46018009

Awakened Blade requires 5 ranks in a skill.
>>
>>46017061
Slug mug, leels.
>>
>>46018155
Huh, that seems neat. I like Fighter's Blade better, though, honestly. Allows me to go deeper into Aegis without losing anything.

>>46018176
I'm pretty sure they did that because they knew the base Soulknife needed some love, and going back to rewrite the whole class is a money sink that will take time from new content that is both better and will make them money.

They're six-seven dudes and a "truck" on the internet. They can't just print shit that won't pay the bills. I would rather they never touch the base Soulknife and just print new archetypes for it, if it means that I can still get new DSP content in two, three, four years from now, rather than having them go bankrupt.

>>46018213
I stand corrected, friend. Soulknife 5 (War Soul)/Awakened Blade X is a completely legit option, though.
>>
>>46018213
>They said they weren't ALLOWED to actually errata soulknife.

Which is dumb.

It's not like they need to rewrite anything. Just have a less terrible sidebar that recommends free gifted blade benefits instead of labeling it as "high psionics".
>>
File: 2f9.png (147 KB, 553x585) Image search: [Google]
2f9.png
147 KB, 553x585
>>46017079
>>
>Adventurer in Golarion, keeping meta-knowledge.
With the Meta-knowledge knowing that 20th level is *not* max level, I'd go Exploiter Wizard 20, while trying to become mythic via one of those spell vents. First and foremost, the goal is immortality. Once immortality is achieved, the second part would be to continue gaining levels somehow -- Typically through combat. So to ensure a steady flow of XP, seeding the world in dungeons, or creating one's own mega-dungeon would probably be the way to go --

I guess I'd accidently become a BBEG.
>>
File: 1446192904964.png (244 KB, 446x486) Image search: [Google]
1446192904964.png
244 KB, 446x486
>Swordplay Style
>Prerequisites: 2 dogshit feats, to start these 3 dogshit feats
>Benefit: If you are not a Swashbuckler, this feat chain doesn't do the only shit you would have wanted it to do, because Swashbucklers kinda do that. If you are a Swashbuckler, this feat barely does anything for you anyway because fuck you.

Is this postmodern art or something
>>
>>46018319
>keeping meta-knowledge
>sociopathic tendencies

So... knowing that at 1st level, you're incredibly likely to die to any of a thousand minor incidents and end up as a tortured soul in one of the lower planes?
>>
Can Solar Wind maneuvers be used with Firearms? Would you allow it as a DM?
>>
Dreamscarred product naming confuses me. Does Psionics Augmented, Volume I contain the contents of their other Psionics Augmented products?
>>
>>46018444
No.
>>
>>46018399

There's tons of under-CRed enemies, I would go kill them for gold and exp
>>
>>46018399
>immortality
>sociopathic
If your smart about it, those seeded dungeons could have a perfect difficulty curve allowing more adventurers to level up and defined the world from various threats.
>>
File: HAL-9000.jpg (35 KB, 290x252) Image search: [Google]
HAL-9000.jpg
35 KB, 290x252
>>46018267
What if we buy them an RV, or a 8th person, or an 8th person that is a self-aware AI installed in an RV?

>my Captcha wants me to identify the RVs
I'm on to you, Captcha...
>>
>>46018481

er, I mean over-CRed, enemies that are far weaker than their challenge rating suggests

Anyway I'd probably play a wizard, arcanist, oracle, cleric, or maybe warpriest, memorize overpowered 1st level spells and try not to die while killing weak things to power level
>>
>>46018481
Have you ever actually tried to stab someone to death, anon?

If you're going to do self-insert bullshit actually do it right. Adventurers are super-hardcore fuckers who get into life-or-death fights multiple times a day.

Go hit yourself in the face with a frying pan a couple of times and then come back and tell us how easy it would be.
>>
>>46018399
If you're careful, you won't die. Prep the right spells ahead of time, get a few fighters to carry you through the first few levels, and then when 'Quadratic wizard' starts kicking in, you'll be good to go.
>>
>>46013282
>>46016511
>Does anyone use HeroLab
Fuck no. Awful & overpriced program. Tried it; spent money; buyer's remorse.
>>
>>46018546
And what happens when you get into a fight that's not conveniently matched to your level?
>>
>>46018532

>Have you ever actually tried to cast magic missile and instantly destroy something from a distance?

fify
>>
>>46018572
Run like the bitch you are.
Alternatively, never get into a fight that you won't win.
>>
>>46018559
>Awful

Elaborate?
>>
>>46018500
>spoilers don't hide the filename

Since when?
>>
>>46018572
Expeditious Retreat
>>
My group is playing a mercenary group, mostly neutral with neutral evil tendencies. Party is an ifrit sorcerer focused on fire blasting, a fell rider cavalier, and a blood kineticist. Any recommendations on how to round out this party? All third party is allowed but I'm reluctant to play Path of War, I don't want to completely outclass the kineticist and have it blamed on me for playing third party.
>>
>>46018335
It's funny because Weapon Trick is in the same book, which is more efficient, does the thing you actually would have thought Swordplay was working towards (before denying you), requires only 1 feat which is actually relevant to what you're doing, and has a component that grants the same +4 AC with fewer hoops...

AND there's an existing Style chain (Crane) that focuses on the same garbage while actually delivering with the counterattack, but requires only 2 extraneous dogshit feats (Swordplay Upset requires 3, not 2) and is somehow supposed to be a Monk specialty. If you cut out IUS then Crane is almost a well-written complement to Weapon Trick because Dodge also gets you something there.

Swordplay Style is a true masterclass in incompetent design, not just bad but made wholly redundant twice over by content the designer absolutely had to have already seen or they would have had no business even beginning to write it.
>>
>>46018578
>pretending you have the Intelligence to be more than a mediocre wizard

lol.jpg.gif
>>
>>46018593
Lots of missing content; Poor ability to add in missing or custom content; they charge quite a bit for the content they have done; Basically no support for houserules at the system level; frequent reports of content they have done being incorrect.

I'd rather just use a template in google docs.
>>
>>46013282
How do i play an arcanist?
>>
>>46018680
Build a wizard. Forget to check off which prepared spells you used today.
>>
So apparently you can get into Arcane trickster with just one level in rogue or ninja with the "accomplished sneak attacker" feat, which goes a long way towards making that prestige class worthwhile.

But looking at it, rogue 2 gives you a point of BAB you'd otherwise miss out on (big whoop for a caster but whatever), a free feat, and friggin' evasion, which looks pretty dang nice. But is it nice enough to give up a second level of spellcasting?
>>
>>46018754
Evasion sucks except when you die and wish you had evasion.
>>
>>46018754

Actually, you can go Wizard 10/Arcane Trickster 10 with VMC + Accomplished Sneak Attacker
>>
File: 1417317070077.jpg (40 KB, 400x399) Image search: [Google]
1417317070077.jpg
40 KB, 400x399
>>46016947
I can't find this anywhere, aside from the odd mention, is Jatembe's Ire in a new book?

Won't you help me crush evil?
>>
>>46018666
I wish PCGen wasn't so terrible.
>>
>>46018901
VMC is even more resource intensive than a level of Rogue.
>>
>>46018912
There are no good software tools for building Pathfinder characters.

I considered making one once, then realized it was too much work to be worthwhile.
>>
>>46018934
>what is herolab
>>
>>46018920
But it's less spells lost. Spell advancement is better than feats.
>>
>>46018909
It's from Arcane Anthology. On the PFSRD, it's listed as Greater Black Tentacles (because they can't use names that reference the Golarion setting) on the same page as Black Tentacles.
>>
>>46018666
>Lots of missing content

They've got literally all of Paizo first-party content, or close to that, that's pretty good considering how much crap Paizo has published.
>>
>>46018593
In addition to >>46018666, it also includes a bunch of house rules that the creator believes are how the actual game works, or how it SHOULD work. As a rules resource, it's terrible.

If you just want to pump out a ton of characters, it's easier, but it's still way too expensive to make that a worthwhile purchase.
>>
>>46018974
>good
>>
>>46018974
Both shitty and overpriced. I already covered that.
>>46018666
>>
>>46018974
Don't even joke. Even if it really did have everything right, like everything else it will always have just enough fucked up requirements and prerequisites that you can't actually build what you want with it.
>>
>>46018433
Yes they can.
>>
File: potion seller.jpg (67 KB, 500x714) Image search: [Google]
potion seller.jpg
67 KB, 500x714
>>46018901

Tell me of this "VMC".
>>
>>46019054
Variant Multiclassing. For most classes, it's a giant fucking trap option. For a couple of cases, it's not absolute dogshit.
>>
>>46019003
>it also includes a bunch of house rules that the creator believes are how the actual game works, or how it SHOULD work

Like what, though?

>>46019054
Variant multiclassing. Basically, you give up a bunch of feats for some features from a different class.

Some are okay, some are terrible.
>>
>>46018912
>Create character in PCgen
>Takes upwards of 40 minutes
>Manually by hand
>10 minutes
It's almost kinda useful to verify you didn't fuck up somewhere.
>>
>>46019087
>>46019110
That's the one from Unchained?
>>
If DSP are 'fixing' soulknife with archetypes, then they should make archetypes with the same point as ones from before the shift in goal. Part of me wants to play one, but id wanna play as a base soulknife or a soulbolt, and I would be told from then till the end of time I'm doing it wrong.
>>
>>46019153
Yes.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 22

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.