[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/lit/ hates worm. I'm making a pair of print editions for
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 7
File: image.png (1 MB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.png
1 MB, 640x1136
/lit/ hates worm. I'm making a pair of print editions for the first eight arcs. Give me some quotes to put on the back for when I let people borrow it
>>
>>46008550

>/lit/ hates worm.

Yeah, makes sense.

I largely enjoyed it, mostly from the creative use of superpowers aspect. Was a bit unrelenting though, no cool off periods between crises.

Ending arc was fucking awful though. Largely tossed out everything that had been built up in favour of a villain with literally no personality rampaging through the setting killing everything until they literally kill him by showing him pictures of his dead wife until he curls up in the foetal position to be executed.
>>
>>46008635

You happen to have a link to an archived thread or any screenshots actually? I wouldn't mind reading some angry discussion of Worm, I have a lot of time to kill today and am in the mood for that sort of shitstorm.
>>
>>46008550
"seldom is seen such a supervillain's rise to power"
>pardon my shitty alliteration...

"did she just bully GOD to death?"

>>46008635
the ending wasn't TOO bad, and the epilogues tied basically everything up leaving a Sequel open and available, but still tying all the major details of the story up in a nice neat package.

and, quite likely, they'd have needed to kill Scion eventually or else risk the superman effect...
>>
>>46008550
/lit/ ain't too far off in this case.
>>
>>46008550
It was okay, but I think they tried too hard to make things sad and tragic and terrible all the time.
>>
>>46008713

Simurgh and Cauldron were a lot better set up as villains. Jack too to an extent, but he was always just the local version of the Joker: A bastard who runs around ruining everything for shits and giggles.

Scion being behind everything but with no agency in the matter, then going on a very long winded unstoppable rampage was a letdown. Plus the setting got completely trashed, meaning a sequel would practically be in a different post Apocaplyse setting with some characters carrying over.
>>
What I liked about Jack was the explanation for his plot armour: He has an ability to know exactly how to manipulate superpowered people running on a subconscious level.

Gets his ass kicked by a glorified swat team member with gadgets eventually, because without powers his own power has nothing to read.
>>
File: image.jpg (28 KB, 736x1041) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
28 KB, 736x1041
>>46008832
i think you're missing the larger narrative. The major players in the end game, Moord Nag, Glaistig Uaine, Echidna, even teacher and maybe dragon to a lesser extent (I only include dragon because Doctor Mother helped Saint get backdoor access into her systems at a crucial moment), had the potential to grow and expand into new worms because part of their power. Khepri was the ultimate realization of the need the passengers had to grow into a new worm, and was able to be stopped in the one possible way.
>>
>>46008550
>/lit/ hates worm.
Unsurprising, considering how unreadable it is.
I like the concept and stuff, but the text is fucking horrible.
>>
>>46008550
"/lit/ hates it"
-/tg/
>>
>>46009042

Relevance to the quality of the final arc?
>>
>>46009042
Wait I thought the "Worm" thing was about how Taylor's a social worm or something that can't see and knows it can't see and knows it's happier without seeing but still does shit or something?
>>
>>46009075
I agree, but for a text driven cape story it isn't so bad.

I think I'd rather have the walls of text than the simplistic pages of pictures.
>>
File: image.jpg (749 KB, 1050x1800) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
749 KB, 1050x1800
>>46008550
>>tfw you realize that bakuda provided skitter's second trigger event

>tfw she subtly mind controls her allies for most of the book
>tfw all Panacea did is reduce her range
>>
>>46009155

Nah, she had a double event in the locker.

The endgame effect is just an incredibly incompetent jailbreak on her passenger. Frankly it was less her own power and more kidnapping the cauldron guys that made her game breaking.
>>
File: image.jpg (17 KB, 541x416) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
17 KB, 541x416
>>46009132
>>46009132
Maybe it's that also. But the worm is Zion

From the chapter 7 interlude

She saw something vast.

It wasn’t big in the sense that the trees or even the mountains were big. It was big in the way that transcended what she could even see or feel. It was like seeing something bigger than the whole wide planet, except more – this thing that was too large to comprehend to start with, it extended. She didn’t have a better word to describe what she was perceiving. It was as though there were mirror images of it, but each image existed in the same place, some moving differently, and sometimes, very rarely, one image came in contact with with something that the others didn’t. Each of the images was as real and concrete as the others. And this made it big in a way that she couldn’t describe if she were a hundred year old scholar or philosopher with access to the best libraries in the world.

And it was alive. A living thing.

She knew without having to think about it, each of those echoes or extensions of the entity was as much a part of a connected whole as her hand or nose was to her. Each was something this living entity was aware of, controlled and moved with intent and purpose. As though it existed and extended into those possible selves all at once
>>
>>46009132

No it's about gigantic world-eating multi-dimensional super aliens who use superheroes as their reproductive system.

The entire series is, in a very real sense, Scion masturbating on his wife's corpse.
>>
>>46009364
Thank you for that lovely mental image.
Also, that could be one of the blurbs!
>>
File: image.png (161 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.png
161 KB, 640x1136
>>46009283
That's the theory, and maybe it's true. But her ability to use her bugs increases greatly after bakuda. It's when she's in the hospital that she first used her bugs for hearing, and then exhibits finer control over them over the course of the next few chapters, including her patented "put my bugs on people so I'm better at combat" tactic.

If echidna is supposed to replicate the trigger event to make the evil twin, that same set of emotions arise at the end of the bakuda fight
>>
>>46009283
I thought she first in the car crash and second in the locker?
>>
>>46009438

Unless she had a power so useless she didn't even know it existed: No, she didn't have a power before the locker.
>>
>>46009075
Yeah everyone can shitpost. Give some fucking examples.
>>
>>46009625
>unreadable
>didn't read it
I can't
>>
started reading it time ago and despite liking some aspects of it had to drop it.

I generaly dislike superheroes. and was never able to finish reading anything besides watchmen
>>
>>46009703

Watchmen is decent as literature, but kinda shit as a superhero story.

Buncha vigilantes with one actual superhero hanging around being out of place.
>>
>>46009625
I like the concept etc, but I couldn't get myself to read the first chapter even?
I've tried, every once in a while, but something about it just... makes me want to stop?
I don't know?
>>
>>46009755
>Watchmen is decent as literature, but kinda shit as a superhero story.
Probably the reason I liked it.

The whole, supervillain prisons, hero associations and other stuff bugs me.
>>
>>46009791
meh, it's not for everyone, it worked out for me because I have a job that requires me to stay within arms-reach of a CNC tool 9 hours a day.

it's a good long slog if that's what you like, and the action is pretty variable.

AND I read it after the mass editing started, so some of the problems with grammar, usage, formatting, and corniness of speeches...

>>46009416
>"put my bugs on people so I'm better at combat" tactic.
it's artificial Synesthesia. it gave her an advantage, it made her think less like a human is all.

you don't have to look if you know somethings coming, you felt it already and are reacting.
>>
"A story people will be ripping off in Mutants and Masterminds Games for years to come."
>>
>>46010039
don't know about a story.
but a setting? most deff...

>>46009910
>hero associations and other stuff bugs me.
it provides a source of drama and politics. you're cramming conflic generators ina box together after all.
>>
>>46009755
True. Alan Moore is on record as seeing the proliferation of super hero stuff being consumed by adults as a sign of cultural decay. I am inclined to agree.
>>
File: monotreeme.png (228 KB, 600x467) Image search: [Google]
monotreeme.png
228 KB, 600x467
>>46010086
>sorceress_quest.png

>>46010172
Expand, please?
>>
>>46010189
yup, thats meeeeeee

I hear exabyte is running again....it any good?
>>
>>46010267
's nice, Azure Quest.
>>
>>46010189
See paragraph three: http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/jan/21/superheroes-cultural-catastrophe-alan-moore-comics-watchmen

He expands on it in another interview. I found it when my gaming group were appalled that I had no intention to see any of the new DC or Marvel movies. Basically, it is black and white escapism that doesn't reflect an increasingly grey world. There is nothing wrong with nostalgia, but we should be aware that it is looking to the past. Rather than accepting the past as such, we are recreating it in present which ignores presents circumstances and drowns out art inspired by what is going on now.

It is obviously an elitist viewpoint, but I don't think that is necessarily a bad thing in an age of anti-intellectual populism.
>>
>>46010437
It's more Space Cyborg/Sorceress style than Vale with Crazy Awesome™ stuff happening, rather than everything being super srs
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 1375x1413) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 1375x1413
>>46010172

Yeah, that's just typical old man "Back in my day" stuff.

Pic related: An Alan Moore comic where Mary Poppins, who is also God, beats up Harry Potter, who is also the antichrist and a middle aged council estate chav.

Commentary on the decay of literature, apparently.
>>
>>46010511
>Commentary on the decay of literature, apparently.
I can kind of see it, actually
>>
>>46010452

>An increasingly grey world

Ha ha ha ha.

The old days sucked just as hard, if not harder than nowadays does dude.

Take off the rose-tinted glasses, escapism has always been escapism.
>>
>>46008550
Is there anything that /lit/ doesn't hate?
>>
>>46010453
I'll give it a look then.
>>
>>46010647
You're a bit late, he's recently stopped running Azure Quest.
>>
>>46010086

No, every time someone asks about mutants and masterminds powers, some asshole rattles off half the character list from Worm. I assume someone's brought at least a few of those character sheets to game. Hell, i'm tempted to save everyone time and stat-block as many as are reasonably possible.
>>
>>46008550
Worm has an interesting concept but it's honestly better as a setting.
>>
>>46010728
Well, there are some good powers in there.
>>
>>46010591
Hating things. /lit/ loves that.

I speak as a member of the community, but /lit/ is one of the few places that I cannot name a single redeeming thing about the members. Maybe the occasional comedy in the what i read/expected/got threads
>>
>>46010753
Indeed. but i prefer to take inspiration for how they arrive at power sets and the kind of thematic nature of them, rather than copycat them verbatim.
>>
>>46008550
I hate worm too.
The writing is just so badly paced.
>>
>>46008550
There's a TON of Fanfiction for it. Some of it is pretty good.
>>
>>46009791
First arc is universally accepted (even by the author) as poorly written compared to the rest.

I understand it is a huge time investment to read but if you are into superpowers it's a must read imo.
>>
>>46010757
That's the feeling that I got when I lurked during some months. People don't discuss things that they like, they just bash everything or call you out for having a bad taste according to their standards.
>>
>>46010717
Wait wasn't Azure the one with the AI that he just started?
>>
>>46010511
You missed the point. He never said anything about things being better back in the day. It isn't about demonizing nostalgia or escapism. It is about not allowing nostalgia to take over the present. We are currently flooded with nothing but re-makes and sequels. You are basically saying that a guy who thinks nostalgia should stay in the past is too nostalgic because he wants new interpretations.

>>46010589
I didn't think that I had to spell it out, but I didn't mean grey as bleak; I meant it in a moral sense. I am not sure how wanting something new as opposed to Iron Man 3 is wearing rose-tinted specs.
>>
>>46010968
>nothing but re-makes and sequels

That has more to do with Hollywood's corporate nature than a genuine lack of human creativity. People still write novel, original screenplays, it's just that the financial people would rather invest in a creatively bankrupt sure thing than an imaginative risk.
>>
>>46008703
I second this.
>>
>>46010858
>I understand it is a huge time investment to read but if you are into superpowers it's a must read imo.
I actually liked Worm despite not being into superhero shit.
>>
>>46010968

And I shouldn't have to spell out how utterly, systematically absurd calling the past less morally grey than the present is, god damn.

The world has always sucked. People have always sucked.
>>
>>46011057
I totally agree with you, but they do it because it sells. I know a lot of people who went to see Transformers 2 and 3 in theatres just because it was Transformers. If people were content to leave the past in the past, they wouldn't see the need to vote for more re-makes with their money.

There is a lot of great stuff out there, but it is becoming a niche market because super heroes, CGI "updates" and cars appeal to the lowest common denominator and make money. Like I said earlier, it is an elitist position but I am okay with that. It is better than spending money to see the new Ghostbusters increasing the likelihood of more shit.
>>
>>46010968

That's pretty fucking rich from the guy with professionally published 19th century literature crossover fanfiction.
>>
>>46010891
>Just Started
It started a few months ago.

It's been discontinued.
>>
I liked the setting, although I feel that the author made the antagonists too dumb sometimes when they fight the MC so she can outsmart them. The PRT troopers should all be wearing beesuits or something after the umpteen times MC covered them in bugs. Don't even get me started on Coil.

Anyway, do you guys prefer superhero settings with only one type of origin for superpowers like Worm, or with multiple types (magic, extraterrestrial, etc) like Marvel/DC?
>>
>/lit/ hates worm.
For once those faggots have taste. It's garbage, from a garbage website.
>>
>>46011326
So edgy.

It is not like the internet has given people access to an endless stream of alternative information. I guess Nationalism and religion were always vocally questioned on an almost global scale in the past. I guess there was always widespread contempt for the media and awareness of propaganda. Maybe open homosexuality was morally neutral in a lot of places a hundred years ago.

Perhaps the scholarly works of academics studying mass media are wrong, and a guy on the internet has not mistaken an argument about changes in media as a statement about human nature.
>>
>>46011471
I like both for different things.

A variety of origin stories is great for playing a game that feels like a comic book. It's my go-to for a hammy, pulpy supers experience.

I like a worm-esque one-origin-type setting for something a little more serious, where you can manipulate the tone with a tighter degree of control and make the way people get powers integral to the themes of the story-- something Worm does, if poorly.
>>
>>46008550
>/lit/ hates worm.
With good reason, Worm is fucking garbage
>>
>>46008550
If Watchmen is a steak dinner, Worm is a family size bag of Doritos. It's cheap and huge and thoroughly entertaining, but you know it's empty calories in the end. Sometimes you don't want steak, you just want fake cheese powder and spices. And that's okay, as long as you don't pretend it's steak when you sell other people on it.

I wanted to like /lit/, but I got tired of everything being spooks because sixteen year olds can't into philosophy.
>>
>>46011667

You said black and white escapism doesn't reflect an increasingly grey society, as if society has in some way become more morally relative.

Your only defence to this boils down to "Yeah well people couldn't shitpost their views on tumblr historically".

You're a fucking moron.
>>
>>46011363
I am not a fan of a lot of his work, but he is giving old subject matter somewhat new interpretations. I am not here to defend him or his work. I just posted that quote because anon said he doesnt like super heroes, but he did enjoy the Watchmen as literature. He may be a hypocrite, but that doesn't change my opinion that the super hero genre is a social disease.
>>
>>46011363
I don't see the contradiction desu. The man knows the history of weird and genre fiction and he knows that the constant fetishistic recreation of the superhero format as well as the insistence on its maturity is kind of a new thing. Who would be better placed to make this observation?
>>
>>46008550
>Give me some quotes to put on the back for when I let people borrow it
Here's a good one:

"What does any of this have to do with traditional games?" -Traditional Games Board
>>
>>46011865
Nice strawman. I am going to reiterate that this is about media and not human nature one more time so you can think of another childish insult to dodge the fact that there is a ton of scholarly opinion supporting the fact that "good guys" and "bad guys" were generally more clear cut in media of the past. I guess the anti-hero trope was always as prevalent as it is on TV today and there has not been a proliferation of them.
>>
>>46008723
Yeah. Stopped clock and all that.
>>
>>46012352

Jesus christ that's a pathetic amount of projection, goalpost changing and dodging.
>>
>>46012760
It's okay, anon. I should have known better than to expect a modicum of rationality out of a butthurt 4chan poster. I am sure you can find a group of like-minded manchildren who share your views and limited grasp of language and history. You guys can have a meme party and talk about how media trends don't reflect or cause changes society because all people are shit. Have fun.
Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.