[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
That Guy General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 53
File: thatGuy-400x285.png (132 KB, 400x285) Image search: [Google]
thatGuy-400x285.png
132 KB, 400x285
>>
>>46004092
Don't just make a That Guy thread and not post a story, you rube.
>>
File: original.png (5 KB, 292x300) Image search: [Google]
original.png
5 KB, 292x300
>>46004092
>Be playing a 8 man Pokemon PTU game
>GM adds in a player from the last time we played
>Ohjoy.jpeg
> Starts rambling on about how the GM is railroading everything!
>writes out long stories in chat about how frustrated his character is
> Grim dark pokemon is grim dark you idiot
>Pic very much related to the shit storm he is now stirring up in our group
>>
>>46004092
>Be playing Pathfinder
>Have barbarian in party
>Uses "roleplay" as an excuse to hinder the party, such as repeatedly using Sleight of Hand to steal the wizard's spellbook and damage it to try to gain its knowledge, attacking random NPCs, belittling other party members at the table, and claiming items more suited for other party members as his share of the loot and destroying them in front of the appropriate party member
>party ranger has gone through 3 characters initiating PvP with him, party wizard is too passive to care/do anything about it, DM says "lol its his roleplay"
>>
>>46005105
Find a better group. Because 'lol RPing' isn't an excuse when he made a character with the intent of not gelling with the party.

If the DM won't rein him in despite voicing your problems with his behavior, and he won't rein himself in, why subject yourself to that shit? Find a better group.
>>
>>46005123
I fully plan to when I move this summer. The barbarian's been doing this shit the entire campaign, though, and has a bad track record of pulling similar stunts, often resulting in TPKs or near-TPKs. It's the classic scenario of "Oh, they're horrible, but I'm kind of stuck with them."
>>
>>46005144
No Game > Bad Game.
>>
>>46005161
No Game > Game*
*with a handful of exceptions
There are very, very few groups and games that are worth the time and effort required to really get into an rpg.
>>
>>46005581
>No Game > Game
/tg/ in a nutshell
>>
>>46005581
Wow, aren't you a pessimist.
>>
>Playing Adventure League
>One guy constantly tells everyone what to do on their turns, and has a huge stick up his ass
>Another guy is constantly threatening to murder NPC's and doing evil stuff for no real reason
>Eventually get to end encounter, two party members get downed
>Evil guy starts bitching that the DM is being 'unfair' and 'can't kill us because its a paid game'
>DM immediately calls his shots, and has two enemies that should have killed the down characters stand in place until I can use a potion on them
>Immediately lose all interest in RPGA forever

Seriously, not only are the people at these events fucking unbearable and petty, but the DM's are massive pussies who can barely run a game. The fact that my LGS charges for this stuff is just a joke.

Maybe I'm that guy, but at least I'll never go again.
>>
>>46005105
Get him to fuck up in town and call the guards on his ass.
It's Roleplay, remember!
>>
>>46005764
Oh, and while he's in jail, leave him for being an ass hole.
It's Roleplay!
>>
File: cleric.jpg (9 KB, 236x275) Image search: [Google]
cleric.jpg
9 KB, 236x275
>>46004092
>Playing Temple of Elemental Evil
>Get Drown, and my already borderline asshole character, suddenly becomes the biggest asshole in the group
>Constantly at odds with the group, as he always claims credit for everything, and demands the most loot
>They don't want to give him more than his fair share, and even start cutting him out entirely when treasure is found
>After they refuse to split 4000 gold with him, he storms off angrily

I'm going to roll up a new character. I can't be that much at odds with the party; playing an asshole really doesn't make for fun games.
>>
>>46005105
Pay the most dickish powergamer you know to build a massively overpowered character, and kill his barbarian in pvp, then quit.

On second thought, that's a terrible idea. Don't do that.
>>
>>46005827
I bet the barbarian is the most dickish powergamer they know.
>>
>>46005105
Sounds exactly like one of the guys over in my group, where he justified all of the dumb and random actions taken as "roleplaying the low intelligence". Now he has a character with 12 INT and still does the same old shit anyway.
>>
>GM metaphorically starts fapping to how awesome his monsters, DMPCs, story, etc are and cares nothing about what PCs do
>>
>>46004092
Do we fucking need to have these threads every fucking day?
>>
>>46006068
>metaphorically
Well, could be worse.
>>
>>46005847
The barbarian doesn't have Superstition or anything, if the Wizard just chucked a couple save-or-loses at him, he'd go down, but the dude's just so obnoxiously passive.
>>
File: Is this orange serious.jpg (58 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Is this orange serious.jpg
58 KB, 1280x720
>"Lets convert your 3.PF characters to 5e so I can continue the campaign there"
>>
>>46005058
Boot him out and let me fill the empty spot.
I'll play a gloomy loli who exclusively trains spooky pokemon, secretly thinking they're super cute.
>>
>>46006803
Is she really friendly once you look past the freaky exterior?
>>
>>46006856
No. There is only gloom and doom. But if you're lucky she might fall asleep on you.
>>
>>46006897
Probably get along great with my psychic trainer from years back. Best summed up as:
>I'm a teenager and I'm already too old for this bullshit.
Has her optimism ground out of her over years of dealing with her dumbass only friend and every adult she meets being nigh useless.

Meets her idol. Her idol turned out to be lazy and worthless, who abandoned her at the point she needed help the most.

Wound up saving the world, all the while muttering about how she hates everyone for being so worthless. Having a few close associates, including that dumbass friend, run into danger to help her save the world sure helped show her WHY she's risking her neck, though. Wound up being the grizzled vet type, at far too young an age.
>>
> that guy keeps wanting to leave the area the second I'm done describing
> ask him to roll and don't get a response for five minutes sometimes.
> doesn't talk with anyone whether they're players or npcs
> other players engaged in combat and he steals things while everyone is busy
> group has a lengthy discussion about whether or not to kill a man for his cowardice getting more worthy people killed
> They finally decide to let him go and that guy shoots him in the back as he leaves
> At the end of the game I ask if there was something he wanted me to do differently as a gm
> nah, just tired

Kind of pissed me off. It felt so out of character as well.
>>
life
>>
File: GoblinAlchemist.jpg (16 KB, 189x256) Image search: [Google]
GoblinAlchemist.jpg
16 KB, 189x256
>Playing in a new Pathfinder campaign.
>Make a Goblin Alchemist.
>That guy makes Human cavalier.
>Party meeting and introducing their characters.
>my turn, start introducing Goblin character.
>That guy stops me a few words in.
>Says: ''I attack the Goblin.''
>DM doesn't know what to say, tries to sputter out no.
>That guy browbeats DM into letting him attack my goblin.
>Goblin gets killed.
>DM finds his balls, kicks That guy out.
>That guy spends a few weeks trying to get back into the group.
>goblin murder retconned, That guys character becomes villain, that guy never plays with us again.
>>
File: 1311541766597.jpg (42 KB, 470x600) Image search: [Google]
1311541766597.jpg
42 KB, 470x600
>>46004092

Just got That Guy's new character backstory.
>Daughter of a rape slave
>Mother was murdered in front of her by father
>Father was tortured to death in front of her
>Ran away
>Only had one friend at age 10 because she was different
>Friend is forced to rape PC or some people will kill her
Friend commits suicide a few years later at age 14
>PC has suicide friend's rape baby
>Baby gets taken away when PC becomes a rape slave just like her mother
>Then she murdered her slave owners and now she is trying to find her daughter.
>Also somehow became a master mechanic.

It's a light hearted space pirates game.
>>
>>46005764
>>46005779
I imagine a barbarian could quite easily escape and probably slaughter his way through town.

It's honestly safer to keep such a madman with the party, at least then he's not killing innocents
>>
>>46012312
Demand a minor change to their character story. Make it mandatory that any and all rape in a background must have been perpetrated by midgit clowns.
>>
File: clownrape.png (89 KB, 1238x416) Image search: [Google]
clownrape.png
89 KB, 1238x416
>>46013564
>>
>>46007274
>nah' just tired

Fuck you forever. If you are so exhausted that you will not only fail to meaningfully contribute but ACTUALLY HINDER the game, stay the fuck home.

I will never understand how people think this is acceptable.
>>
File: 1455484908308.jpg (328 KB, 870x1126) Image search: [Google]
1455484908308.jpg
328 KB, 870x1126
>>46005673
at least pathfinder society kills you when you fuck up. I almost died for a being a little bitch and not fighting a Golem with Laser eyes, like a good Barbarian
>>
>>46005673
Sadly that asshat was right. RPGA DMs are supposed to let the players win, this includes not killing anyone. They'll even get thrown out for making small (but good) tweaks to the encounter if someone dies.
>>
>>46006704
Fuck, if my DM decided to do that I'd start sucking his dick.
5e > Pathfinder
>>
>>46013833

This is objectively incorrect. It is expected that an Adventurer's League DM will adjust encounters as necessary-- what he can't do is toss in homebrew shit or jack up numbers. Gotta stick to WOTC published shit.

Moreover they are vested with the full authority to kick niggas out if they're dickholes. Given that AL is designed to attract new players this is fucking important. Currently this means only LE is an option for evil PC's and even then they must explicitly be tied to an organization who has a vested interest to be a team player. Don't have to be nice but you aren't allowed to fuck the party or player kill.
>>
File: 1454158730062.jpg (42 KB, 400x680) Image search: [Google]
1454158730062.jpg
42 KB, 400x680
It's a that girl story, but the point still stands

>Be invited by friend to Stars Without Number game so he can try out GMing
>Why not, how bad could it be?
>Enter room
>Every other player is tumblrgirl incarnate
>It's ok I can overlook this right? They can still be good players
>Girl 1: Basically plays a special snowflake green mustachoid stripper version of Shrek, complete with a hired prostitute
>Girl 2: Large Irish man who's basically the meat shield/muscle of the group. Has about all the tactical aptitude of a Jihadist.
>Girl 3: Actually has tabletop experience, is playing a decently rolled character with actual backstory and some fangirl religion she wrote up
>Girl 3 finally gives me a shred of hope for this game
>Begin discussing previous tabletop characters with Girl 3. At first she seems pretty cool and also a qt.
>"Oh you mostly played good characters Anon? Well I was an CN rogue who flirted her way out of everything"
>Proceeds to tell detailed stories of some magical realm lite exploits (she's catholic, so I can see why she didn't go full magical realm)
>And just like that, my last shred of hope died and I became an empty emotional husk
>Rest of session dominated by Shrek incarnate being fairly useful, if not really creepy, Irish man bringing fists to a gunfight and Catholic/Rogue/Daddy issues girl "Making sure the she doesn't kill their enemies so they can kill themselves" because that's her "religion"
>>
DMing for a new group of weebs, decided to run really high fantasy and give them a reasonable run of the gamut with races and classes. Pathfinder btw.

>Everyone is out to avenge their parent's death as a sub goal
>Only person who has normal colored hair is the catfolk, but only cause cats are "Normal colored"
>Dragonkin (player asked if they could trade human feat for claws/+1 NA with RP) Monk is the ultimate tsundere tomboy
>Kitsune Rogue is the embodiment of dickass thief, current method of making money is killing people as a kitsune then drumming up support for her to stop the murderer in human form, has multiple fox tails to show as "Kill trophies"
>Catfolk Inquisitor social version of the dickass thief, Sin Inquisition and is basically Cercei Lannister with less brotherfucking
>Some sort of Ice fey fighter, gave him the benefit of the doubt since he's the only other one with D&D experience, heard about the rest of the group and decided to that guy it up, edgelord that is so edgy its looped back and become funny
>Thought I was going to hate every second of it
>Actually not that bad once we start
>Everyone open to character development and consequences are played relatively straight
>Bounties in 3 towns and counting
>Threw story out the window and am not just making them deal with or put out fires they started
>Actually really fucking funny watching them all "That Guy"
>Apparently "That Guy"-ing fits into the whole if everyone is special no one is thing
>Explained to everyone after about a month that this isnt really what you do
>Offer new campaign now that they know the rules fairly well
>All are okay with it, but kinda like the over the top-ness of 4 "that guys"
>Running a tongue in cheek parody campaign and having the most fun of my last 5 years as eternal DM
>>
>>46019967
Threw story out the window and am /now/ just making them put out/deal with fires they started*
>>
>>46019967
You really don't know the definition of That Guy, do you?
>>
>>46013596

Oh shit, that reminds me, it's pie day!
>>
>that guy who runs a budget deck and bitches when he gets his shit stomped in
>that guy who runs a 500+ dollar T1 deck and brags about how skillful his plays are.
>>
>>46021120
better yet
>that guy who dumps $1000+ into a deck without knowing how to properly build one
>gets pissy when well designed budget decks destroy him
>>
>That guy who doesn't know how to mulligan
STOP
STAYING
AT
ONE
LAND
>>
File: c051.gif (9 KB, 727x348) Image search: [Google]
c051.gif
9 KB, 727x348
>>
File: 1454584094629.png (442 KB, 498x713) Image search: [Google]
1454584094629.png
442 KB, 498x713
>>46004092

>Be playing survival horror jailbreak
>First session
>That guy decides to join last minute
>okay.jpg
>Makes edgelord witch girl
>We escape our cells
>Edgelord offers all possessions for shank
>Chaotic evil That guy rogue takes stuff
>Doesn't give shank
>Edgelord puts rogue to sleep
>Edgelord disembowels self with shank
>DM gets salty
>Retcons edgelord's existence
>That guy just wanted to fuck with everyone because survival horror
>>
>>46021416
To piss off sperglords
>>
>>46006150
Yes.
Honestly I think this board should be split in two.
One discussing /tg/ one playing /tg/

This board is shit because we can't decide on which one so we get upset with whatever side we aren't trying to be.

This is a fun thread discussing frustrations with your current group.
>>
>>46013564

Actually when I told them "No rape allowed"
They said
"But thats the defining moment of her character, it's what makes her a tough survivior, I couldn't change that"
>>
>>46024588
the correct way to respond then is " there are allot of way for people to be tough survivor's, why trivialize something as serious as rape?"
>>
>>46014365
3.5>5>PF
PF sucks dick
>>
>>46021416
Comfort and superstition.
>>
File: Laz.png (852 KB, 1881x2993) Image search: [Google]
Laz.png
852 KB, 1881x2993
>>
Had a game played by all the people that dm at our store. Of course every character is a joke. LE paladin of bane, half orc fighter that thinks he's a rogue, and of course that guy who makes a bard who only plays music during fights (from his phone)
>>
>okay GM here's my character!
>>
One of my players is playing a Monk who believes in a lunar goddess, in a setting where planetoids are pretty rare.

This lunar goddess used to be evil out of jealousy for her sister, but then turned good later on.

He wears a fucking MLP Luna hat 90% of the time.

But he also treats it like a joke and the other characters make fun of his for believing in "something as absurd" as a moon, so he's not really that guy at all.
>>
File: 1456449818619.jpg (118 KB, 640x718) Image search: [Google]
1456449818619.jpg
118 KB, 640x718
>>46026064
>gnome two handed fighter
>mfw
>>
>>46004125
Are you saying OP is That Guy?
>>
File: Dog the Bounty Hunter.jpg (468 KB, 835x1080) Image search: [Google]
Dog the Bounty Hunter.jpg
468 KB, 835x1080
I've got one for the Adventure League game I help out with.
>Playing "Princes of the Apocalypse"
>GM and this one vet player are good friends
>Vet player has adopted a homeless manchild who since has been revealed to be wrecking the guy's household but that's another tale for another age
>Short, rat-shaped fuck with a long skinny torso and thick, stumpy limbs, biggest head I've ever seen
>Insist on playing a 6'5" busty blonde elf ranger, longbow and dualscimitars and hammerspace panthers oh my
>Built his entire character backstory as Dog the Bounty Hunter
>Whenever this lispy fuck talks about his character I can't get the image out of my head of Dog with F cups and Chris-chan's voice
>I built a charisma/assassination rogue, charlatan background, dishonored son of a guild artisan who would kill to be a noble.
>Game turns out to be hack/slash and full of flying creatures.
>Fuckity fuck, because I built a social character who has no ranged weapons.
>Barbie (what the group calls ratface because of his character) fudges his dice and bumps his stats, taking every oporotunity to remind me how much better of a rogue that his character is than mine in every way possible.
>GM never lets me do social things because hack/slash campaign or even check for traps because we've got an ADHD "KICK THE DOOR THE FUCK IN" player who's our nutzo wizard.

Since then I started a second table where I run a homebrew survival/eldritch horror campaign themed after Greek Tragedies and the Hyborean Age with a 40k approach to the treatment of magic by the public at large, my table is far more popular than the Monty Cock module with the unstable, circle-jerk party.
>>
>>46024940
>3.5>5
Wew lad...
>>
>>46025810
>this-is-what-happens-when-you-never-talk-to-that-guy-about-his-shit.png
>>
>>46019967
>>Apparently "That Guy"-ing fits into the whole if everyone is special no one is thing
Yes. Yes it does.
Going against the grain of the group is half the requirement for That Guy.
>>
File: 1430639612040.gif (3 MB, 350x280) Image search: [Google]
1430639612040.gif
3 MB, 350x280
>>46004092
>Modern Monday
>taking my completed foil deck out for its maiden raping
>being that_guy.jpg
>all of a sudden
>"DAMN DUDE IS THAT ALL FOILED?"
>remember I'm in a legal weed state
>420 dudebro calls over his friends
>"DAMN DUDE CHECK THIS DUDE'S DECK OUT BRO."
>opponent is getting annoyed by the distraction
>i'm barely containing my smug laugh
>"HOLY SHIT IS THAT A FOIL LILIANA?"
>record screech, smiles are gone
>this dude is reading out my hand
>my opponent and I synchonize movements
>we both raise our hand and in a harmonic chorus echo across the store
>"JUUUUUUUUUUDGE!"
>"WOAH DUDE CHILL, YOU DON'T NEED TO NARC."
>"YEAH BRO, IT'S JUST A GAME, JUST RELAX."
>"YOU SHOULD LIKE, SAVE SOME MONEY AND SMOKE A BOWL, MAN."
>judge finally comes over with the store owner
>end up shooing the idiot stoners away to the board game section
>judge looks back to our table, asks if everything's okay
>both of us nod, start to get back into things
>"That's a sick deck, man." he says
>back to smug factor 5
>back to being that guy

Nobody out-That Guy's me. NOBODY.
>>
>>46024741

OH yeah, I told them to incorporate a recent war in the settings backstory, I also said rape is off limits full stop, it's a light hearted fun game not a Slaaneshi party visits the planet of the defenceless teenage women.
>>
>>46016982
I'll accept that what you're saying is true, since to be honest what I know of the RPGA is all stories that friends have told me. I do know however that for a time years ago DMs were not supposed to kill players.
>>
>>46005673
People have to pay for that? Shit man, my FLGS pays one of my friends in store credit to run it.
>>
>GM tells you went overboard with your character power, mentions the words minmaxing and powergaming
>Ok
>Gives you an alterantive PC with similar character concept, but worse in every sense, god awaful bad even for the level you're supposed to be
>Ok
>Play the game
>Die in like the first turn of the first encounter not due bad luck, but because the character can't do shit in his "supposedly" strong points (hitting and parrying)
Why do I keep trusting this faggots, why do I keep falling for the "don't be a munchkin" bait?, fuck them, gonna minmax hard as fuck and care about nothing from now on.
>>
>>46028322
That's why you point buy.
>>
>>46028362
It was anima, rolls were fine, the problem was how awfully the GM spent development points, and that isntead of going weaponmaster like my PC, he went warrior but kept spending in the same shit I did (costing double for him), also instead of weapon tables he bought weapons separately because "munchkin" somehow. So at 4th level you had a dude with 45/50 on attack/defense.
>>
>>46028441
I don't know what half of those mean but why didn't you Just Say No to his gimped revision?
>>
>>46028553
Saying no to the GM may carry certain negative consequences.
>>
>>46028553
Anima is a point buy system, you literally buy everything your character can do, the only thing you might not buy are stats, which really don't matter much if you play beyond 1st level and as long as you don't roll goddamn awful, with average as fuck rolls you perform just fine, is not like D&D where a 20 and a 10 are the difference between being pretty good and being shit.
>>
File: 1457841803818.gif (1022 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
1457841803818.gif
1022 KB, 480x270
>>46027569
>yfw
>>
>>46027569
You ain't even that guy.
>>
>>46005673
fuck adventure league. I had made a settler campaign setting involving the party and 150 NPCs who were sailing then a hurricane happened and transported ship to another continent they were travelling to then dumped on ground and broken in two and our party is bringing nature to heel and get a stable settlement going.

My players are friends I have made
>>
>>46029953
... a settlement shitty wooden palisade that can stop the wolves now, and we have won a fair amount of respect when (our party are all gnomes and half-lings and 50 of the 130 NPCs are migits, with two dwarf families that compete for inn business which is pretty funny because they hate each other... our cleric girl is one of two clerics in the settlement, the other an npc...) and our two handed fighter has been getting lucky crits on wolves in front of the village gathered to watch the fight which was needed to convince them to go into the forest and chop wood for the WALL.

My group is awesome and it's rather collaborative. Friendly group of people at my uni.
>>
>Lootan and killan
>I have a surplus of gold, but my bow is more than enough to kick ass with and I have a wand of magic weapon for things that have dr/magic.
>One player wants to get a +1 sword but is about 1000g short. I tell him I'll give him my 1000g since I don't need it just now and he can pay me back.
>DM sprays tears and snorters everywhere, saying that I "Can't do that" and "My character wouldn't do that".
>Remind him that he does not control my character and that I will gladly swap places with him if he wants to play my character that badly.
>DM bursts into tears and starts spraying mace everywhere as his triggers get set off, saying that it "Unbalances the wealth by level".
>I tell him that literally nothing short of him kicking me out will stop me.
>DM bans me from the game.
>Other players quit on the spot.

Why are people so autistic about WBL anyway?
>>
>>46030023
They think D&D is a well oiled and balanced machine of perfection.
Also, autism.
>>
>>46006150
Yes, fuck you, That Guy.
>>
File: 1453230574169.png (73 KB, 385x395) Image search: [Google]
1453230574169.png
73 KB, 385x395
>>46006897
that's my fetish
>>
>CoC 7e "modern" setting of 1970's
>Group is given the loose border for character creation that they must be from Europe or be of European descent only (including Russian in this case) for story reasons
>American-Italian, British, American-Irish and French-Canadian
>That guy?
>Japanese of course
>Not even some descendant of a Dutch-Japanese relationship or the child of a rape victim from the war between Japan and Russia, pure Japanese from Hokkaido as he exclaims proudly like it mattered
>Already short on players where we are from, so we have just have to swallow it, though we did say he would be a bit of an outsider if he wanted to play with his current char
>Stands his ground like any true TG
>Story progresses, ancient Euro-Russian cult leaders want to sacrifice us to resurrect our evil ancestors for the glory of Dagon or somesuch
>TG tries to turn is in to the cult to save his own skin because "lol they're not after me so why should i care"
>Cultists being cultists don't make deals and murder him on the spot
>TG is now angry at the GM for being unfair and centering the story around the rest of the group's characters more than on him, even though everybody up until this point has had more or less the same screen time
>He rolls up a new character, a cultist that tries to again sell us to the antagonist cult
>Love them low health characters who try to start PvP
>Told to make a character along the given lines and not to start raising hell again or get perma banned from the group

You can guess what happened to that guy.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (46 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
46 KB, 1280x720
>>46024940
>3.5>5
>>
>>46024940
Not even a valid lineup.
>>
>>46030198
>>46026869
>>46030173
>>46024940
The only way I can read that is
3.5=5=PF

3.5 and PF don't have enough difference between them to fit anything else between any comparison of them.
>>
>>46030221
But muh memes
>>
>>46030290
They all suck dick. That's all the memes you need.
>>
File: ThatGuyGeneral.jpg (568 KB, 1476x1846) Image search: [Google]
ThatGuyGeneral.jpg
568 KB, 1476x1846
>>46004092
>That Guy General
pic related
>>
>>46030753
Fucking this
>>
>>46010620
Don't play a goblin. Snowflake
>>
>>46013833
Oh hi spoony. Get the fuck out.
>>
>>46024940
>3.5>5
>>
>>46016982
this. I can confirm that in modern RPGA that you can get killed. though that's because we fought creatures 3 levels higher than our own.
I myself would have been extremely pissed if I couldn't die.
>>
>>46032305
guaranteed replies
that's pretty much why.
>>
>>46004125
>>46026561
He is, the least he could do is start with a screencap. Lazy bastard wants stories and can't even post one we've already seen.
>>
>>46005105
Which one are you? Why don't you eliminate him? Unless you're the scrub ranger.
>>
>>46006150
General threads are a spreading cancer. The constant filename thread won't even put general in their title to be filtered, and that shit is even less /tg/ related than the god damn quest threads.
>>
>>46017863
>It's a that girl story

These threads shouldn't be gender or player/gm specific. They are just stories of horrible people you've had to deal with.
>>
File: 1457799840722.png (36 KB, 321x322) Image search: [Google]
1457799840722.png
36 KB, 321x322
Have any of you ever been That Guy?

I think I am That Guy of my group. I do and say stupid/awful shit with the "It's what my character would do" justification and I've derailed a couple of games by making the party do what I wanted instead of "following the story".
>>
>>46030023
WBL is fucking gay--I'm sorry. But if a PC earns something, they earned it. I've never used WBL is 8+ years of DM'ing
>>
File: 1451340948193.png (109 KB, 400x419) Image search: [Google]
1451340948193.png
109 KB, 400x419
>>46030023
only time we use WBL is starting gold.
I run different games now, so I kinda not give a shit.
>>
>>46030023
He was mad you filthy fucking commies were sharing your money. Ayn Rand is rolling over in her grave.
>>
>>46032686
have you considered not being a fucking asshole? I only ask because your party members and GM are thinking it even if they haven't said as much
>>
File: kb.png (89 KB, 381x315) Image search: [Google]
kb.png
89 KB, 381x315
>Friend wants to try out tabletop
>Say sure, im DMing soon, standard fantasy setting
>offer to help him with his character,he declines
>sends me his sheet a while later
>Character isnt a character at all
>its literally just him, backstory is a random portal opened and sent him to the fantasy world
>mfw

That was a while ago, now he says he wants to DM a game of his own, the only details of which I have is that the setting is "Anime Land"
>>
File: 1449894161565.gif (29 KB, 210x240) Image search: [Google]
1449894161565.gif
29 KB, 210x240
>>46033150
>"Anime Land"
>>
File: the ride never ends.jpg (143 KB, 744x969) Image search: [Google]
the ride never ends.jpg
143 KB, 744x969
>>46030023
>this
>actually happening
>>
>gm'ing Only war
>party is a crew of convicts press-ganged into service against the orks on armageddon
>enlisted ranks replaced with prison guard enforcer-types
>that guy ic provokes guards every opportunity he gets with the biggest shiteating grin on his face the whole time
>finally get tired of it, say one of the guards is pointing his weapon square at his face, screaming he'll kill him if he doesn't fall into line
>give him a countdown from 10 to stop fucking around and let us progress
>grin gets bigger as each second goes by
>tell him his character has been summarily executed for insubordination, disturbance of good order, inciting rebellion among ranks, etc., and tell him to give me his sheet
>"Ha whatever GM, you take this too seriously, ok guys lets play smash"

Andrew I fucking hate you, and what's worse is that I'll probably be playing a game with you in like two days you piece of shit
>>
File: 1404363880891.gif (4 MB, 600x337) Image search: [Google]
1404363880891.gif
4 MB, 600x337
>>46033150
>the only details of which I have is that the setting is "Anime Land"

I confess I'm curious
>>
File: ISIS v anime.jpg (150 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
ISIS v anime.jpg
150 KB, 800x600
>>46033150
>anime land
>>
>>46033325
>>46033463
>>46033481
I've messaged him asking to give me more, I'll report back or even make a thread if he gets back to me
>>
>>46033481
>>46033463
>>46033325
>>46033517

Okay so according to him all the players will be themselves, a portal opens up, a theme he seems to like, and warp them to anime land
Players will then attend a private highschool where a bunch of different anime characters go and be roommates with one
im not sure if I should play just so I have a story to tell or not
>>
>>46032618
he meant it as "that guy" but a girl version of that
>>
>>46034136
In my experience, it will be either the best or worst you've ever played. Tell us how it goes.
>>
>>46030095
He made a good character and gradually became a good player and also a pleasant person to be around?
>>
File: original.png (7 KB, 424x374) Image search: [Google]
original.png
7 KB, 424x374
>>46006803 Im >>46005058
I dont have a choice on these matters, im not the GM but enjoy more artwork the asshole is drawing
> Pic related after the group tried to capture a mewtwo that Team Rocket is breeding into MewThree
>>
>>46034136
>Wish fulfillment the campaign.

It's going to be terrible unless it goes horribly right.
>>
>>46021416
>Manaweave
>Complains you manaweave and that gives you better array of lands/spells
>Don't manaweave
>Complains you don't manaweave and that gives you more lands at the begining
Ok, fucking decide already, should I manaweave or shouldn't I manaweave, it's one or the other

Btw, this always happens to me in prereleases, whatever I do people always complain about how you shuffle your deck, they even complain about how my deck is shuffled even when they're the ones who shuffled it
>>
File: 1454220908202.jpg (103 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1454220908202.jpg
103 KB, 640x480
>>46034136
well, since he put it that way....
run.
>>
>>46034136
Stay for one session and then if there's no plot or enjoyment, politely decline to join next session. When he asks "why?" just say that slice-of-life wish fulfillment isn't the kind of game you like.
>>
>>46034136
>Okay so according to him all the players will be themselves
I absolutely expected that.

Try it out. Go in expecting wacky anime hijinks. If he doesn't deliver wacky anime hijinks, start them yourself.
>>
File: Cena face.gif (156 KB, 260x187) Image search: [Google]
Cena face.gif
156 KB, 260x187
>>46034136
>This entire post
>>
File: 1431374893937.png (472 KB, 476x616) Image search: [Google]
1431374893937.png
472 KB, 476x616
>>46032686
If you ever have to say "It's what my character would do", you have become that guy, because no matter what your character would do, you, the player, have detracted from the fun of the group.
Here is a small that guy tale.
>in a sci fi setting
>working for secret police, group is split in half, eggheads in one part of a city, legbreakers in the other
>one egghead player decides to use his position to cause havoc in the city
>why
>"So we can exfiltrate and meet up with the legbreaker group
>egghead group could scam their way out with ease
>egghead group say no, don't do it, it's an awful idea
>That Egghead plans to do it anyway
>legbreaker players, including me, are only told ic that some shit is gonna go down
>legbreaker players, ooc, are like the fuck dude seriously
>That Egghead fucks up, blows his cover, gets captured by local authorities
>is tortured, gives us up
>report in, told to retrieve That Egghead, D-o-A
>group needs to drop literally all our plans and running subplots to save the idiot
>mfw I wasnt even there that game, but was being informed by text what was going on
>>
>>46034776
also sounds like Miiverse roleplaying bullshit. so pardon me if I sound like I have no hope for it.
>>
>>46026192
8/10 would roleplay with
>>
>>46032686
I'm definitely the current that guy. I hardly contribute to the plot, instead just cruising along with the party, and I also lose track of what's happening waay too much.
>>
>>46005581
>>>/v/
>>
File: 19-china-il.jpg (51 KB, 1061x673) Image search: [Google]
19-china-il.jpg
51 KB, 1061x673
>>46035638
>If you ever have to say "It's what my character would do", you have become that guy, because no matter what your character would do, you, the player, have detracted from the fun of the group.

>play rogue
>very greedy rogue
>second session in campaign
>get separated from party
>Disembodied voice offers me immense treasure in return for their lives
>decline offer multiple times
>"Wouldn't your character take the money anon?"
>he actually would decline, as he values loyalty more than wealth
>"Oh, interesting"

Or you know you use the opportunity to expand on your characters ... character. Scandalous that character development might be fun for the group
>>
>>46034364
I know, but the point stands. We had about a month of "That Girl" threads that started off with as much contribution as this OP did, and middling results, and eventually most people were just posting any old That Guy thread because it seemed a waste to make a new thread just for a different gender.
>>
>>46034516
If a situation like that is the best you or anyone else has ever played I feel sorry for the entire group.
>>
>>46036377
Maybe he didn't feel like being the generic dickass thief that's been done a gorillion times. "Likes dosh" and "would literally murder their friends for it" are not the same thing, and he's under no obligation to change his character because you think it would make for a better story.
>>
>>46035638
>told to retrieve That Egghead, D-o-A

Well it's obvious that you should go for the D in that situation.
>>
>>46026192
The fact you know enough about MLP to relate that to his character intrigues me.
>>
>>46036641
I used to watch the show, but then it started sucking.

I'm nineteen and it came out when I was in middle school and a girl I liked was into it, lay off
>>
>>46036754
Why would I need to 'lay off'? I actually like the show and frequent /mlp/.
>>
That Guy who thinks 3.PF is a good system. How I hate that guy.
>>
>>46036974
Why don't you go back there and never return?
>>46037115
I can one-up you there. Someone who thinks D&D 3.0 is a good system.
>>
>>46005123
*reign
>>
File: 20089-22341-19002.jpg (12 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
20089-22341-19002.jpg
12 KB, 320x240
>>46006704
This isn't a bad thing.

Pathfinder is such utter dogshit compared to 5e.
>>
>>46036377
Except that it wasn't character development, and I am talking about using roleplay as an excuse and an enabler for dumb shit, which didn't even pop up in your greentext.
Get fucked.
>>46036578
Unfortunately, my character has a personally assigned task from the boss to make sure the group makes it out alive of bad situations. I will bust my hump to get him out alive.
After that? Well, we'll see.
>>
>>46017863
you should leave that game
>>
>>46005058
>8 man PTU game

found your problem there, holy shit
>>
>>46034546
Only three months after that when he got a GF who pulled his head out of his ass
>>
>>46030221
3.5 has more options and plays up the crazy high fantasy line better than PF, while PF has similar imbalances without the high power part of it. It's hard to explain, but the two are completely different to play.
>>
>>46032686
I've thought I treaded into that guy territory a few times, playing a super-outlandish (halfling bard/vigilante) in a serious setting... Only for me to later discover that the other players actually wanted more of the outlandish shit and were just shy about looking like fools.
>>
>>46004092
>That guy comes in with a character that is nowhere near built for what he's meant to do
>So excited to be a social character
>Character of another player built just for combat does social stuff better than he does
>Has all the stats for being sneaky skillmonkey, puts nothing into being a sneaky skillmonkey
>Needless multiclassing, Redundant character options, bends over backwards to avoid the primary feature of one of their classes
>Bless his little heart, he has his character concept down. But everything about it is fucking useless mechanically because there is no focus at all
>Dies in one hit once the GM actually has something go after him
>His next character is a multiclassed, unfocused mess that's literally just an existing class, but he "doesn't like how it plays"
>Next character dies after taking one turn of combat, refusing to use any of the abilities or gear that he got and instead just running in with no armor and shitty health
>Has a small temper tantrum when the GM says he's going to make the next character instead of dealing with yet another fragile lump-on-a-log making everyone else feel like they're on a 24/7 escort quest.

What even is the label for this kind of bullshit?
>>
>>46041499
>What even is the label for this kind of bullshit?
Not knowing the system?

Honestly, nothing in that post is 'That Guy'. That Guy isn't someone who does something wrong, he's the guy who does EVERYTHING wrong. If there's a single thing you like about him while he's at the table, he's not That Guy. Hell, unless everyone actively dreads him coming to the table, he's not That Guy.

That said, I wouldn't like someone else making my character for me. Wouldn't it be better for the DM just to either test-run the character or steer him away from useless options?
>>
>>46024940
I am confirming this. 5e is a casual version of 3.5, PF is a casual version of 5e.

There's nothing inherently wrong with wanting things to be easier and more simple, but so much is lost in the process. Any complaining usually boils down to "Wizards r OP!" which is the DM's fault for not keeping things balanced across classes, not the game's.
>>
>>46041617
There's getting it wrong and then there's just willful ignorance of the game. He KNOWS there's something wrong, but refuses to fix it. The second character had evidence he knew WHAT was wrong. He tried to go for something that already existed, but then started throwing shit around that didn't work together very well trying to copy it instead.

And then everyone else has to cater to his dumb ass because if someone tries to fix it for him it's suddenly some kind of attack on him.

> Wouldn't it be better for the DM just to either test-run the character
I have a feeling that would just be a lot of chargen and a very frustrated GM

>Or steer him away from useless options?
His own words: "If I wanted to fit neatly into an archetype I would just go to a charop forum and copy something from there"
>>
>>46041774
>PF is a casual version of 5e
>>
>>46041774
>"Wizards r OP!" which is the DM's fault for not keeping things balanced across classes, not the game's.

Anon...

I like 3.5, don't get me wrong. But arguing that certain classes don't have much more potential for broken-ness than other classes is just willful ignorance. It's not the DM's job for balancing the ruleset, it's the designers job to make a balanced game. Saying 'the DM can fix it!' doesn't make a game's issues irrelevant, it just serves to highlight them by acknowledging they exist in the first place.
>>
>>46041774
If I wanted to balance everything manually I'd play a system where it's fucking easy like Warhammer, not a bloated mess full of rules.
>>
>>46013765
This is what I've done, I just got too tired playing in this one group and felt like I wasn't really adding anything.

Hope they're having fun though, it was a nice group.
>>
>>46037970
to be fair, Im not the GM and he learned fast. We now have 2 groups of 4 each. One on Saturday and One on Sunday
>>
>>46032485
I think this is "show not tell" in action.
>>
File: 1453691089196.png (88 KB, 185x221) Image search: [Google]
1453691089196.png
88 KB, 185x221
>>46041921
only thing I can say about balancng between casters and non casters is Caster must go and learn their spells from trainers.
but again, that doesn't solve the problems that 3.5 has.
and unfortunately, Pathfinder is what solved some of the problems.
>>
File: Seconded.jpg (11 KB, 225x169) Image search: [Google]
Seconded.jpg
11 KB, 225x169
>>46036460
>>46032618
>These threads shouldn't be gender or player/gm specific. They are just stories of horrible people you've had to deal with.
I agree.
Although with That GM/Guy threads, it at least sets a precedent as to which side /tg/ is arbitrarily expected to side with or against in contrarian autism.
>>
File: Game.png (939 KB, 1306x840) Image search: [Google]
Game.png
939 KB, 1306x840
>>46032686
I was part of That Group once.

Our DM wanted to run a Lovecraftian psychological horror game and we didn't take the game seriously at all.

Pic related
>>
>>46045003

>Spider hands, Old timey hunter, Tower of fancy hats, and Gordon the Barbarian.

What the fuck happened? I laughing just thinking about it.
>>
>>46021416
Mana-weaving is good for when you just finish building a deck. Otherwise you spend like a day shuffling and still end up with giant clumps of land.
>>
>>46045449
>make ordered deck
>riffle shuffle makes it instantly random
jee it's almost like there's no fucking point.
>>
>>46045258
This is a while ago, so this is from memory.

>PCs wandering through a town, carting away some bodies. Disease or something.
>Suddenly, a wild plot hook appears!
>Something spooky happening at a town that suddenly closed down after a church was locked there.
>Our three heroes set off to investigate the situation.
>Get to a gate, asked to introduce ourselves to a gatekeeper behind the door. We are...
>Our ForeverDM, Duncan D. Duncanson of Duncanshire The D stands for Duncan. Basically fantasy Teddy Roosevelt, complete with fancy moustache. Equipped with a fancy Flamberge-type gun.
>Me, Roger Rogerson or Rogertown(and is offended if anyone implies he's from the hive of scum and villainy Rogerburg). A fellow hunter with a rocking Odysseus beard and fancy hat, carrying a big longbow.
>ForeverDM's brother who is new to game. A giant of a man who takes speaking softly and carrying a big stick it's logical extreme. Forget his name so calling him Gordon.

>After introductions, we enter the gate, to find the gatekeeper is dead, and has been for quite some time.
>Duncan is horrified, exclaiming "Egads....this fellow has a most serious case of Rigor Mortis. And some very dry skin."
>Roger chimes in "I recommend a vigorous application of skin lotion post-haste."
>Roger then notices he has a fancy hat and steals it, placing it atop the hat he already owns.

>We enter the town proper to find a congregation of people gathering at a large fire in the center of town.
>We spot them burning the corpse of a gigantic werewolf, at least 10 feet tall. They are also stabbing it with spears.
>A bit of lore dump that werewolves typically turn back to humans on death, so a werewolf corpse is incredibly unusual.
>Ignoring the spooky implications, Roger takes his longbow and joins in on the corpse stabbing, firing an arrow into it's hide.
>D: "Jolly good shot."
>R: "Haha, I got it!"
>Villagers get spooked. Most run to their homes, others arm themselves and attack.
>>
I run a Vampire/Wraith crossover game. I live in a city whose only real features are two universities, where "progressive thinking" rules, so I'm pulling in players from a very select stock.

I don't mind it since it doesn't seep into gameplay other than everyone playing andro/gender-neutral or somehow socially marginalized characters. It could be a lot worse, all things considered.

So That Guy of the group was the guy who understood the general tone set by the group, and decided it was his moral obligation to go completely against the grain. He actually challenged me on having a Nosferatu Prince as he thought I had some underlying message of body image positivity. I'm not big on the whole idea of being progressive to the point of devolving into a hugbox, but this guy was something else.

In the end I asked him to leave because he just made STing a fucking chore. I know that he's also barely tolerated by the refs at the LARP I play in.
>>
The worst That Guy I've had the displeasure of dealing with.

>Getting bored of 5e
>Group agrees to try out Numenera
>TG rolls a Weird Nano Who Sees Beyond
>Literally Useless
>Chasing down some baddies, he gets a bag that one of them dropped. Had some seriously useful shit in it but instead he takes the vegetables that were in there
>He eat an onion like an apple while one of our party tells us something he witnessed
>Physical quirk? Ballchin-ian
>Get an oddity that is pretty much an invisible roaming camera
>Uses it to look up our female Glaives skirt.
>Took hedge magic and see the unseen
>Uses hedge magic to blow up female Glaives skirt
>Wants to use see the unseen to see whats under her armor
>Uses space heroin to see the unseen, GM rules he took a massive overdose and he dies
>Ragequits the game.
>>
>>46045536
>Villagers attack us. Roger hangs back plinking at them with his longbow, Duncan lights a bunch on fire, and Gordon simply smears the poor bastards unfortunate enough to get in melee range of him on the ground.
>Suddenly, another giant werewolf attacks, spooking any villagers still alive.
>2 rounds later, it's dead from arrows, fire, and a giant club. Doesn't revert, just like the burning werewolf.
>Villagers who fled finally are armed and starting to mob to chase us because we're outsiders.
>Ratty looking guy tells us to get to his house.
>He tells us the village is getting pretty spooky since that church got built, and will help us get inside.
>Leads us through a back alley to the church.
>Duncan uses some explosives to blow open the gate, also alerting everyone within a mile our exact position.
>We bar the gate, rush inside, and bar the door.
>Big spooky statue in the center.
>Ratty guy plot dumps us about it's importance, I forget what exactly the deal was.
>We go downstairs, ratty guy stays on ground level because he's spooked.
>Walls downstairs have chairs lining the wall, all with corpses sitting in them.
>D: "Dear god....this rigor mortis epidemic is far more widespread than I first believed."
>R: "These men need a major lotion shipment, but soon."
>DM facepalms
>Voice speaks to us, plot dumps about the bodies. It's the same voice we assumed was the gatekeeper earlier.

>We head downstairs. Stairs seem to go on forever, getting darker and darker the further we head down. After going down in poitch blackness for what feels like hours, we suddenly find ourselves on the second floor balcony, overlooking where we let Ratty.
>We shout to him, he reacts to the spooky event, reiterates to us it's indeed spooky, then goes to the stairs and finds his way to us.
>Apparently the stairs were well-lit for him and he could see fine, even see another path going further down.
>Apparently due to some elixir he drank when the church was founded/

2/3?
>>
>>46045564
Shit, are you me? Are you in Boulder?
>>
>>46045702
>Goes to find some elixir. We drink it, take the stairs and can see fine. We take the second path going further down.
>Find ourselves in a spooky crypt.
>Ratty reacts to the spooky find.
>Find a hole in the wall and go through into some shrine.
>Spooky tentacle people bowing down at the shrine.
>We murder them.
>Investigate the shrine and find it's basically generating the elixir we drank.
>Ratty plot dumps about it. Blood of a dead god, drinking it is bad and can apparently create dangerous monsters like the werewolf.
>Hear clapping, it's the voice from earlier.
>Look up and a spooky giant spider with a human face on ceiling. Claims he mentally projected the clapping because he's a spider.
>Outs Ratty as the priest of the church above ground, and he's creating monsters, expecting us to turn on him.
>We shrug and don't want to, because we're adventurers, and monsters are our income, and allowing him to create more is simply making sure we have a stable adventuring economy.
>Spider guy is stumped. Not angry, just wasn't expecting our response.
>DM has to stop for a minute and do some planning, because he legitimately didn't expect us to side with the guy making spooky horror monsters.

>Suddenly, rival adventuring party appears.
>We start debating them about the sustainability of a monster-based economy.
>While this happens, Roger takes a water-skin he had and fills it up with a bunch of elixir.
>Rival adventurer responds to our rational points by throwing a bomb at us.
>Fight ensues
>Ratty drinks some elixir and turns into a giant tentacle wolf monster..thing.
>We murder him.
>Yell at spider for not helping.
>He's useless, and doesn't actually have spooky powers. He stole a corpse's hands and used them to clap.
>Just wants a body.
>We take the spider guy and go on an adventure to find him one.
>First on the agenda is murdering the guy who gave us the plot hook.

It was fun, but I felt bad because I think the DM wanted it to be serious, and it just wasn't
>>
>>46045880
Nah, I live in the UK.
>>
>New Player to the Group.
>Knows his way around the system, just new to our group.
>Shows up without a character begins making a character while the party plays and reaches a point where it makes sense for his character to join.
>Shooting the shit with him, taking about our characters, mine in particular.
>He makes comments while we play "Oh cool that spell is awesome" "That's an awesome feat"
>Come time for him to hop in to the game.
>His character is an Exact Carbon Copy of Mine minus the essay length backstory.
>Literally no backstory
>Just my exact character sheet with a blank Character information page and some Weeb fucking name.
>He has even gone so far as to mirror my exact progress while leveling up.
>Unless this is some kind of glorious long con where he reveals his character is a doppelganger, I am adamant he is just fucking with me.
>>
>>46045972
How does your Gm even allow this?
>>
File: 1181468472102.jpg (81 KB, 514x1024) Image search: [Google]
1181468472102.jpg
81 KB, 514x1024
>>46033150
>"Anime Land"
>>
>>46045972
top kek nerd
>>
File: 1414433342292.png (59 KB, 233x203) Image search: [Google]
1414433342292.png
59 KB, 233x203
>>46041774
>PF is a casual version of 5e
>>
>>46045880
I once helped a friend get a phone off some referral site by entering my adress as Rocky Road, Boulder.

He actually did get the phone though.
>>
>first time playing pathfinder
>be in darksun
>DM set it up for newbies, no spellcasters, start at lvl 3
>another guy who isn't a newbie minmaxes a barbarian
>his char is hoarding food and water
>everyone but me wants to kill him
>they attack him, I attack to deal nonlethal to try and keep him alive
>they start to deal nonlethal so I stop, barbarian is unconscious
>my char is carrying him through the desert.
>I tell him that I will give him some of my food and water
>later we clear a dungeon, find healing potions
>barb wakes up and steals potion from 2 guys.
>he tries to steal from me
>dafuq
>my char sees him
>I'm pissed
>deal more nonlethal, knock him out again
>go to another dungeon, find steel chain
>use it to bound the barb
>go to Ur and pay guards to jail him and never kill him
>everyone is wtf just kill him
>well his barb is locked up, can't escape bec steel chain
>he wants to reroll new char
>DM won't let him bec his char isn't dead
>I tell the others, that's why you play lawful good
>barb player is fucking pissed throws a tantrum
>shop owner throws him out
>>
>>46032686
I'm fairly certain I'm either That Guy or in a group of entirely That Guys. Not because of anything they do to me, it's what they do to everyone else.
I'm probably (somewhat) exempt from all this because I'm new to the shop or something.

I kind of feel like storytiming it to explain, gimme a sec to write stuff up and reply.
>>
>>46005581
> no game>game

You can't make this shit up.
>>
>Interview a group about what kind of game they want to play when was asked to DM for them.
>Specifically tell them my campaigns are all about roleplaying, character arcs, and narrative, not hack-and-slash meatgrinders.
>They insist this is great and they all want to get into real roleplaying like that.
>Fastforward to 15 sessions later.
>They're complaining when we go more than one session without combat.
>When an NPC tells them about a threat or a challenge, they go "Yeah! Something to kill finally!"
>They barely talk to eachother, never discuss the situation or work out what to do next. It's obvious they just want to spend every session hacking through easy monsters so they look really cool.
>TFW they probably all think I'm That Guy because I'm trying to get them to try a little bit.
>>
>>46041774
W... What? I don't like pathfinder either, but is superior to 3.5 in every way (that's not saying much though) . Because it IS 3.5 with better rules and tweaks and better support.

In the dnd realm, 5e is a completely different animal.
>>
File: 1454394090227.png (44 KB, 225x223) Image search: [Google]
1454394090227.png
44 KB, 225x223
>>46047796
>5e game, Out of the Abyss
>2 new players other than myself
>DM heaps piles upon piles of boons upon them
>they don't even bother reading their abilities or spells, have to correct them constantly.
>They coast the fuck by with just the items and other shit the DM keeps handing to explicitly only them
They really aren't that bad though, just really fucking new to roleplay in general. I'm trying to guide them without coming off too hard on what they have for rules.

>Other 4 players at the table are the That Guys
>4 players
>not a single one of them "rolled" below a 14 for any stat, 4d6 drop lowest
>every single one has at least 17 in two stats
>two of them somehow start with magical items, and keep them outside of the plot saying they lose most stuff

>one player is very obviously trying to kill my character because it's "what they would do", despite my character being very close actively worshiping them for both backstory reasons, until the attempted murder
>pretty obviously trying to fuck over everyone
>DM favors this player exceptionally hard, even over the two newbies.
>even the new people have noticed

>other player is also getting minorly fucked by first player
>keeps trying to wrangle me into a plot and talk to the dm (instead of him) about attempting to murder the other PC
>he's known the DM for years
>I've been at the shop for less than 4 months
>DM is -EXEEDINGLY- obviously trying to kill his character(s)
>this has carried over multiple campaigns apparently
>guy doesn't minmax, and barely does anything
>does consecutively less and less attempts to do anything besides casting a requested spell because nothing he tries to do on his own works because the DM hates his characters.
>somehow keeps coming
>upon private questioning is fine with the game somehow

fucked up part is its only
>1/?
>>
>>46047945
Continue on then
>>
File: 1372872709516.png (97 KB, 386x262) Image search: [Google]
1372872709516.png
97 KB, 386x262
>>46047945
I should mention that the first guy and the GM have this scary fucking obsession (I cannot think of a better word for it) with not letting people see other characters sheets, even if the player in question is fine with it.

>Third guy
>plays a Kender outside dragonlance setting
>Doesn't read the rules
>attempts to Minmax constantly despite this
>takes 3 classes multiclass
>somehow thinks he gets all of their proficiencies and spell slots for that level
>keeps trying to use things above his level
>insists he should somehow get bard level 2 features a Character Level 3 Bard/Warlock/Sorcerer (one in each)
>plays a Kender
>"rolls" above a 14 in every stat for every character sheet he's made that I've ever seen, before racial mods
>Doesn't listen to party planning
>Constantly tries to take all of the loot
>Plays a fucking Kender
>rolls and THEN says what he's rolling for, very obviously determining if it's good or bad before deciding
>doesn't ask the DM if he can roll, by the way
>Rolls so many 20s I wonder if his dice are weighted (at least 5 per session, with maybe 10-20 dice rolls from him that session)
I can't explain how fucking obvious the dice rolling is, and nobody seems to see it. he either consistently has the luck of a god, or somethings fucky.

>4th guy
>Middle schooler
>constantly playing with MTG cards or some other thing at the table.
>never shows up prepared
>plays video games at least 2 hours before the game starts in the store
>lives within walking distance of store
>still somehow not ready
>has repeatedly gone "I'm bored" mid session (sometimes while the DM is describing things)
>somehow wants to make more characters despite not knowing how to play his first one
>Tries to roll for EVERYTHING despite that not being how it works
>constantly attempts to roll for shit before other players do, even if the other player is more proficient
>has no concept of personal space

2/3, DM next.
>>
File: Spiddlemoon.jpg (19 KB, 238x211) Image search: [Google]
Spiddlemoon.jpg
19 KB, 238x211
>>46047025
Wrong. Give your GM this, and then play him like Bollywood Spiderman.
>>
>>46033417
Is that a fucking picture of Samus as Mike Stoklasa?
That is amazing.
>>
File: 1414820124227.png (33 KB, 217x401) Image search: [Google]
1414820124227.png
33 KB, 217x401
>>46048103
I say DM, but it's gonna be DM and myself. only fair, since It started with me considering Myself as That Guy.

>DM
>hands out overpowered items like fucking candy
>somehow suprised we keep ripping through his campaign
>doesn't stop
>buffs the enemies more than 3X what their normal health and sometimes AC is
>Homebrews pretty much everything in the entire game
>I fuck up on the rules, read over them intensely later, and try to fix my mistake by telling him he should be getting chances to stop me
>somehow takes this as being able to tell me my abilities to stealth somehow stop working whenever he wants
>doesn't describe/expand on anything outside the barest of bones
>fucked up game (AFAIK) supposed to make us feel helpless and scared, cut off from the surface world
>"they'res some fungi, rocks"
>"it's a building"
>exceptionally autistic about character placement in regards to sight
>"you're character model is off by 1/4th of an inch so you cant see in" level autism, playing on a big board
I've somehow avoided that entirely, but this happened multiple times to other characters
>makes characters roll for stuff instead of using passive every single time
>have to be exceedingly specific about what I'm trying to do or it's waved away with general information/him repeating himself angrily, or other retarded thigns
>expects us to read enemies actions mid battle off of the smallest of cues like "they smile"
>very obviously going full ham on the entire party, but player 2 in particular
I forgot to write bad things about P2, but there's a lot. he shares quite a few shitty habits with 4th guy, like bringing random shit to the table or not being ready.

3/? apparently writing about the DM takes it's own post and maybe another.
>>
>>46047025
>>46048136
No, this guy's better.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spider-Man_%28Toei_TV_series%29

Yes, giant robot is mandatory.
>>
File: 1414817881339.jpg (29 KB, 213x360) Image search: [Google]
1414817881339.jpg
29 KB, 213x360
>>46048292
>DM still
as stated before
>obviously favors one guy
>people new to roleplay keep getting items and responsibilities they shouldn't be needing to handle just yet/somewhat already struggling with base characters
>Doesn't seem to wanting to be playing 5e, instead consistently pulling shit from 2e/4e
>he's the one who suggested 5e and this campaign in the first place
>expects everyone to know exceptionally deep lore
>somehow takes offense to me not liking drizzt
>keeps dictating what gods characters should be worshipping
>decides spells (like find familiar) work differently for some characters than others

>hands out experience with random shit
example: I find magical item
>Magical item hurts me because he keeps handing out alignment based gear
>hand it over to paladin
>Paladin gets experience for "discovering" item
>I get squat
Shit like this has happened/keeps happening to everyone, but I also think he's getting better about it so IDK.

>Me, PC 5 of 7, and who pic is refferring to
>roll up a chaotic drow rogue in an underdark campaign that apparently starts with people fleeing the drow
>take charge of keeping track of party money/treasure, fairly adamant about this
>keep telling other players suggestions on what they should be doing/that their character has something literally made for this exact situation
>usually sound pretty exhasperated about this which doesn't help
>fairly whiny at the start about about how the DM handles experience, homebrew, items
I've stopped, but I did bitch a bit instead of just rolling with it at first.
>don't cover rules as well as I should have for certain things
>keep trying to use them how I thought they worked until someone pointed out what I was doing wrong
>keep trying to make fairly minmaxed characters in case my current one dies
And perhaps my worst offence
>telling best of /tg/ stories in real life

might add more if I missed anything or people want me to expand but otherwise 4/4
>>
>>46041499
>What even is the label for this kind of bullshit?
Basketweaving
>>
>>46037159
3.0 is my favorite system.
>>
>>46047928
>I don't like pathfinder either, but is superior to 3.5 in every way (that's not saying much though) . Because it IS 3.5 with better rules and tweaks and better support.
Some of the small changes are nice, but it made no real attempt to fix any of the game's major problems. Also, it made casters stronger and martials weaker, because that was a thing that needed to happen.
>>
>>46006803
PTU: The only system where you're encouraged to play loli and shota without (as many) accusations of being a pedo.
>>
>>46028322
My group calls it optimization. People can give us all the minmax crap they want, but at the end of the day we are the only thing stopping a crappy DMs tpk.
>>
>>46028362
Rolling for attributes is the worst.
>>
>>46026064
In a light hearted high fantasy game, why not?
>>
>>46032686
I am the that guy of our EDH group.
>>
>>46034771
Prereleases are a fucking whine fest. I didn't realize spikes could be such little bitches.
>>
>>46032686
I play Tau. I'm always that guy.
>S10Ap2 largeblast
>Scour
>fire twice
>>
>>46041774
Balancing wizards would involve...

1: Outright removing their ability to add new spells to their spellbook at level-up.
2: Outright banning a metric ton of spells.

Honestly, it's faster to just ban wizards and allow psions. Also, how can a tabletop game be "casual"? Last I checked, a tabletop game's difficulty, depth, and content are entirely at the whim of the game master.
>>
>>46049832
Casual just means "WAAAAHHHHHH MUH IVOWY TOWER IS GONE! WAAAH!! I CAN'T POWERGAME! WAAAAH!"
>>
File: 1458068820361.gif (1 MB, 500x273) Image search: [Google]
1458068820361.gif
1 MB, 500x273
>>46013596
Holy Mary Mother of Joseph!
>>
>>46025810
A WIZARD WITH A SOFT SPOT FOR CHEESE HE SAYS CASUALLY...?
>>
>>46045449
Riffle/mash is random after 7 repetitions.
Overhand is random after 10,000 repetitions.
Manaweave is never random.
>>
>>46005105
Just wait for the party to goto sleep make sure you take a watch after his, give the gm a note that you are coup few graceing him. Rob his corpse and take a few things off him that you can give back to the party overtime that you ' find ' off enemies.
>>
>Oh, your character is supposed to be good at something? then my mission is to either make you fail at that something every time even if it goes against the game rules or never make you try to that something and force you into situations where you have to do stuff you're never prepared for
Don't you love this kind of GMs? literally whatever you do you're going to fail misserably in the game
>>
>>46024940
3.5<5>3.pf
Fixed that for you, it's okay we all make mistakes.
>>
>>46034136
I played a game similar to that, sans the portal. I was the newest player and got the least amount of screen time because the gm knew me the least, we all died fighting an encounter we were not meant to fight because by vote we told the npc trying to take away a powerful magic sword we bought, and banish us from civilization to shove it and fought to the death and managed to screw over the entire continent we were on in the process.
>>
>>46042457
It put a bandaid on a gaping wound. The sheer number of spells you need to ban is huge, I had this discussion for someone that plans to dm but probably never will because they are lazy. Their answer was a good gm will fix it and pf is better then five for no real reason. And the kicker was she said she would look at spells wizards take at level up and just ban things retroactively to keep them balanced which probably means forcing casters to play blaster.
>>
>>46050722
Leave the game.
>>
>>46050934
Like I said. Ban wizards, allow psionics
>>
>>46037275
They had it right the first time.
>>
>>46050942
Done that...then the next group I was the GM was the same kind of faggot and also had to leave, I decided to take some time before joining a new group again.
>>
>>46006150
Why enter and post in the thread if you don't like it? 9/10 threads I see either is completely uninteresting to me or in worst case makes me cringe but I ignore them. Its not very hard.

You, instead, bumps the thread and does nothing to contribute.
>>
>>46048474
Sounds like a garbage experience. You should leave.
>>
>>46052404
this
>>
>>46029953
>>46029994

Nice blog.
>>
>>46033455
Ban Andrew, he's a cunt.
>>
>>46047928
Except it failed to balance the worse bits of 3.5 and arguably made it worse. I guess dipping into classes for more power isn't as easy but qho gives a shit when you can do le ebin power game splatbook wank.
>>
>>46054106
Except your wrong. It has the same balance issues as 3.5, but with a few little bandaids over some. And really, you're going to accuse Pathfinder of splatbook wank from your 3.5 high horse?
>>
>Be group of 7 people
>Call of Cthulhu evening, everything seems fine
>casual conversation while playing deviates and we end up talking about feminism
>GM shows a side of him completely unknown to us: he's a radical feminist/reddit-tier sjw
>redpilled /pol/-tier guy instantly triggered
>We (the rest of the group) watch as the most violent exchange of words in the history of mankind unfolds in front of us
>roughly half an hour later the discussion comes to an "end" where we can continue playing
>we're investigating a painter's house
>turns out the painter is a fucking cultist
>6 armed PCs including a filthy powergamer (the /pol/ guy)
>GM pulls an incredible amount of bullshit and forces a TPK
>Describes the /pol/ guy's death as extremely humiliating
>they start to argue again about wage gap, women's rights, social experiments, etc as we pack up our things and flee

Never again
>>
>>46054269
Stop playing with "le" plebittors anon
>>
>Join new group, playing pathfinder.
>Excited for my first game in a year.
>Make an Investigator after DM tells me its going to be an intrigue heavy game.
>First session is fun, party complements each other and I get to do a lot of investigating.
>That Guy joins next session.
>Shows up with a min-maxed wizard.
>Spends his first session talking to the group as if we were children, destroying every single clue we have uncovered about who the BBEG is, and generally being a That Guy by ruining the well crafted atmosphere the DM had made.
>Group suffers for a few sessions.
>DM talks to That Guy and nothing changes.
>At the end of the next session, DM asks the group in front of That Guy if we are enjoying the campaign.
>Everybody, not including That guy, says no.
>DM asks for reason, Everybody points at That Guy.
>That Guy kicked out of the group, and we manage to salvage the campaign.
>>
>>46054575
Too realistic, no one will screen cap this. Are you even trying?
>>
>>46054324
While he's at it, he should drop the /pol/tard too
There isn't much difference between the two anyways
>>
>>46054575
I need the That Guy's reaction.
>>
>>46054755
Nope

>>46054905
He got mad, and stole a Garden Gnome from the DM's property. We haven't heard from him since.
>>
>>46054971
See, now it has that Henderson reference for proper unrealism feel.
>>
>>46032686
I think I could become that guy in my group because I went with a dorf that's not interested in magic demons and stuff like a couple of the others are, and they're the plot creators.

>okay we're going to see what's going on in this dodgy underground cult that we don't know anything about
>I don't want anything to do with that!
and then I either tag along anyway or sit at a bar for a few days.
>>
>>46055220
No, you are that guy. GMs need to get you involved in the plot yes but unless it's don't rest your head players do need some desire to actually play the game.

Or maybe I'm wrong. what DO you do? Sit at the bar all day?
>>
>>46054161
Just play Fantasy craft.
>>
>>46055452
Thing is I do have ways to be included into the plot (magic heavy world and unbeknownst to me I'm using it through prayer) but it's just expected that I'm going to be interested in furthering the abilities of some guys I'm barely on named terms with. Why does my character need someone playing it then?

I do follow most of the time just because as you say, it's not a game otherwise and I bring a valuable amount of health point for whatever's trying to chew through the couple of wizards we have, but I don't have any real interest in doing so OOC or IC. Other than that I go out and get everyone's food while mr dwarf man gets bladdered.
>>
>>46056035
I'm not a fan. I don't even like Pathfinder. I'm just arguing that Pathfinder is objectively improved from 3.5.
>>
>>46004092

>Doing a fairly standard heroic adventure thing.
>Not really that good, to be honest, but nothing terrible, popcorn of RPGs.
>New guy joins.
>We march out, attack the evil wizard's tower, long difficult fight, eventual victory.
>We're tearing the place apart for loot, and then discover the merchant's daughter whom we were supposed to save which was actually the initial reason we went there but I at least had forgotten about.
>That Guy is the one who actually found the key to her cell, lets her out.
>Brings her back to the rest of us and then announces
>Look here, I found a bitch! Time to have a fucking rape party!
>Stunned silence.
>DM tries to tell him that's not the kind of game we're doing.
>"Fuck off, you can't tell me how to play my character."
>We throw him out of the group.
>>
>>46056374
>"Fuck off, you can't tell me how to play my character."
Whenever anyone says this in response to being told to tone down their crap, the right way to deal with it is:
>"We can tell you where to play your character: On the fucking curb."
>>
How do you handle being pretty much the only one except the DM in the group who, for lack of a less douchey way to put it, has any idea what they're doing?

It's 3.5, we got
- one guy who seems to know what he's doing and is a solid player, just either seems to be in it purely for the fightan or else isn't bothering to roleplay when the party is a huge OOC clusterfuck
- a good friend who bless 'im is a great guy but not the most capable at social stuff and dearly loves his wacky character concepts, always feels like he needs to do something inventive or flashy which is fine but EVERY ROUND OF COMBAT
- a CN rogue who has expressed a great desire to go on murdering sprees, doesn't have any points in any basic rogue skills and has to be reminded every single session what die to roll for attacks
- paladin who doesn't seem to have any idea what a paladin is or does

Other experienced guy has only played other editions of D&D and the DM's pretty fuzzy on the rules so I end up having to jump in and correct people which makes me sound increasingly like That Guy.

I really don't wanna do it but I can't seem to just shut up. I know I'm being a little anal about playing it the "right" way but when half of the group doesn't really seem to have any experience even with how standard RPG conventions work I also want to give some advice or pointers.

tl;dr am probably That Guy and I want to shut up and enjoy the game but right now it's just "I roll for diplomacy, which one do I roll again" and lvl 1 paladins using spells. Do I just grit teeth and bear it and hope for the best?
>>
>>46006150
I'm new to D&D and P&P games.
A group of friends and I got into D&D recently and I'm the one chosen to DM. So I go to these threads to be prepared in the off-chance one or two of my friends end up being power-gamers or that guy.
I see threads like these as a place where people vent their frustrations and sometimes others give advice.
>>
>>46056150
You as the player are expected to make a character who will be interested in the things going on in the game. If you make a character who isn't interested, then that's a failing of you as a player. If you're not interested in what's happening as a player, then I have to wonder why you keep playing.

This isn't to say the GM can't also be a shithead, but that's a separate issue.
>>
>>46056561
I'd ask the GM if he wants the help or not. Maybe he changes some of the rules intentionally as homebrew, maybe he does appreciate your help, or maybe he's content to continue wallowing through ineptitude.
>>
I'm That Guy but I routinely put myself in harms way to save my party members, so fuck what everyone thinks.

This one time, a teammate fell off a ship and I was the only one willing to go down and get him. I threw a rope, climbed down, and pulled him up from certain drowning. I was wearing full plate and one slip would have killed me.

I am Neutral Good That Guy.
>>
>>46005105
Jesus fucking christ anon.
I thought I was being that guy when I played a shadowrunner with a love of explosives and poor impulse control, but that right there takes the cake.
>>
>>46057362
How exactly are you That Guy? A predilection for saving party members at your own expense doesn't qualify you.
>>
>>46057362
>That Guy who goes to a That Guy thread to humblebrag
>>
>>46057587
I rules lawyer and what >>46057625 said.
>>
>>46041499
Playing shit system.
That what it is called.
>>
File: UlmaGrimstone.jpg (63 KB, 461x742) Image search: [Google]
UlmaGrimstone.jpg
63 KB, 461x742
>be me
>playing descent
>top GM in our entire gaming house
>play as hero
>take an underpowered pg as tank, without HPs or special ability to dodge/move
>always get top rolls with dices
>be top damage as support-tank
>go full roleplay, every turn with phone playing oktoberfest music while brewing potions in-game
>play the entire playthrough with every good item, given by the other team members
ayy lmao
>>
>>46005673
That gif looks familiar. Who is it?
>>
>>46057996
Arin Hanson.
>>
>>46054887
4chan might not be the site for you anon
>>
File: 1310408064982.jpg (10 KB, 441x408) Image search: [Google]
1310408064982.jpg
10 KB, 441x408
>>46059796
Yeah
Somewhere that's less of a hugbox
>>
>>46004092
>play game with group i used to play with
>new GM
>no rules just "lol roll the dice and i'll tell you what happens"
>play assassin type character
>GM sits with every player individually and gives them "secret" assignments.
>my assignment: kill this political figure
>everyone elses assignment: you need to get this political figure to do xyz (he needs to stay alive)
>not my cup of tea, but allright
>assume the GM is going somewhere with this
>game progresses, GM makes absurd rulings due to "lol no rules just roleplay"
>one guy playing a "werebear" gets 2 hours of pointlessly slaughtering civilians
>everyone else just sits quietly
>finally get to political figure
>poison him with a "strength potion"
>dies
>everyone shits on me out of game
>GM agrees with them
>"why are you playing against the group?"
>you told me so
>relinquish my character, cause obviously it makes no sense for this character to stick with the party
>GM wanted to make whoever got the assignment done first a overpowered mary sue
>major plotpoint
>gets pissed for me not playing along
>assigns me new character
>12 year old kid who lives in the village
>everyone else is roided up superhuman
>fine, i'll make the best of it might be interesting
>get to harbour
>say "i know this place, i'll run ahead and check it out"
>can't even finish my sentence, everyone including GM starts yelling at me for "playing against the group again"
>"you're not supposed to do solo runs" says werebear guy
>wat?
>after another 30 minutes of basically getting shit on, i give up and just run along quietly while the rest of the party calls all the shots
>whenever i try to do something other than what i'm told, get looks and sighs

am i being that guy, or is this just a shitty group?
because i feel like everyone gets to do what they want and have at least some form of adventure, when i'm not allowed to do anything with my character but agree with everything and just tag along quietly.
>>
>>46061379
You are "that guy" of "that group"
>>
>>46061379
imho probably both
>>
>>46061438
i don't have problems with other groups.
and i play a lot more than the guys in that group.
>>
>>46004092
Every time I suspect someone of being a "That Guy" I always try to give them the benefit of the woubt, then they never show up for the next session, so my group has worked out quite well.
>>
>>46061640
Isn't that what I said?
>>
>>46061379
itstimetostop.jpg

Just leave that thatguy group.
>>
>>46061716
i don't get it
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 53

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.