[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Modern day >Someone invents a new battery >It has the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4
File: redline-racing_00247083.jpg (324 KB, 1619x737) Image search: [Google]
redline-racing_00247083.jpg
324 KB, 1619x737
>Modern day
>Someone invents a new battery
>It has the energy density of gasoline
>And still has the efficiency of electricity

How would this change the world and what's the best scientific reason (ie lack of accessible element) that none of the current world powers would already have an easy time of making the battery?

I want to make a setting based on international mercs teaming up with junkyard mechanics to make crazy offroad vehicles strapped to the brim with weapons.
>>
File: redline-pic4.jpg (67 KB, 1270x715) Image search: [Google]
redline-pic4.jpg
67 KB, 1270x715
>>45999527
Dam redline was a great ova. Gonna go watch it again.
>>
>>45999527
Depends on how easy it is to make these batteries. If it's super easy, then expect a tech boom. If not, expect crime rings popping up, like mafia groups and the like. If they do end up getting control on them, the setting may be run by gang families, buying all the land and having wars underground.
>>
>>45999581
Stream it
>>
>>45999624
Not just getting a 1080p version downloaded and keeping it on your hard drive
>>
>>45999656
Do you think I'm some kind of casual? I just enjoy watching movies with anon

although, I'm about to commute an hour so it'd be bad for me.
>>
>>45999527
God, I love Redline. It makes me want to try out the F-ZERO RPG.

>How would this change the world and what's the best scientific reason (ie lack of accessible element) that none of the current world powers would already have an easy time of making the battery?

The world's tech base accelerates drastically. By 20XX, we have super fast flying cars with lots of guns and a planet all but ruled by the creator of the super battery/the creator's boss who was stealing his work. The battery's design is decades ahead of anything anybody else can make, and may or may not be stolen alien tech.

>I want to make a setting based on international mercs teaming up with junkyard mechanics to make crazy offroad vehicles strapped to the brim with weapons.

You have my full approval.
>>
File: smug blackface.png (84 KB, 209x479) Image search: [Google]
smug blackface.png
84 KB, 209x479
>>45999656
Ive had the bluray flac on there for years

But in thread news, probably use it to make a series of highpowered bikes, skates, and roller blades
>>
>>45999527
FOR CLARIFICATION ASSUME ENERGY DENSITY IS BOTH IN VOLUME AND MASS TO SIMPLIFY THINGS
>>
>>45999527
I'm going to need to know the expense of materials, discharge rate, and sustainable operating temperatures of the battery first.
>>
>>46000204
>The expense of materials
To be decided by this thread
>discharge rate, and
Equivalent to Lithium Ion
>sustainable operating temperatures
Let's say -20 and below, if it goes above it does the equivalent to quenching and is irreparably fucked up
>>
>>46000439
>Let's say -20 and below,
F or C.
If F, it's pretty much useless since the attendant refrigeration system pretty much cancels your weight/energy savings.
If C, it's only mostly useless for the same reason.
>>
>>45999527
"Efficiency of electricity" sounds a bit too general, as having any battery in between generator and motor will inevitably decrease efficiency, unless the charging and discharging processes have the efficiency of near 100%, which opens a gigantic can of worms in fundamental electrodynamics.
Overall - electric vehicles all the way, and now you don't have to charge your iphone twice every day. And that's pretty much it. Batteries are just a mean of providing power for anything that can't be plugged into the grid.
>what's the best scientific reason (ie lack of accessible element) that none of the current world powers would already have an easy time of making the battery?
Insanely complicated and energy-hogging manufacturing process, on par with uranium enrichment or spaceflight. Only the huge governments or a HUUUEG corp would be capable of maintaining the necessary infrastructure.

>I want to make a setting based on international mercs teaming up with junkyard mechanics to make crazy offroad vehicles strapped to the brim with weapons
Postapoc. You need some postapoc for this. Make it an energy crisis or a large conventional war, maybe with some limited nuclear exchange. Anyhow - you gotta bring down the existing world order to allow for crazy-ass car-fu with guns.

Also I did not watch the mongoloid cartoon from the OP-pic so any references fly past me.
>>
>>45999527
>How would this change the world
It would change a lot. Houses would be less likely to be dependent on an energy grid because they could have battery storage replenished off wind or solar. Cars would be more efficient as you could have cheaper hybrids and probably faster charging.
Air travel would be cheaper as you are removed from the necessity of fuel.
Resource grids would be broken down into local areas (a good thing, localised grids are what you want) as batteries could keep up with increased demand.
Personal electronics would become smaller, more powerful and lighter. We would probably have less heat distribution problems with small electronics.
Wireless charging would be (more) feasible than currently.
That's just what's coming to the top of my head. A better battery would be so revolutionary it would probably change the world in ways that are unpredictable.

>what's the best scientific reason

I guess you could have carbon lattice/doped graphene based batteries. They're theoretically possible but hard to make. Nobody has a good method of making graphene sheets yet or of doping them with atoms required to build batteries out of them. Give it five or ten years.
>>
>>46000663
Wat
>Air travel would be cheaper as you are removed from the necessity of fuel.
Wat
>Resource grids would be broken down into local areas (a good thing, localised grids are what you want) as batteries could keep up with increased demand.
Wat

Generator -> Battery -> Consumer. Just having the middle part does not remove the foremost one.
>>
File: 1450240690231.png (480 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
1450240690231.png
480 KB, 800x800
>>45999527
>>46000204
>>46000439
>>46000515
>>46000559
While it is an entertaining thought exercise, if OP is truly going to try and make a setting out of this for a group of players to play in, OP really ought to just handwave everything into precisely however he wants it to be to make it a cool setting for players to involve themselves in. Because once the engines start revving and the bullets start flying, nobody is going to give a shit about the exact science and repercussions of this new battery.
>>
>How would this change the world
For one, power armour and energy weapons become a lot more feasible.

>what's the best scientific reason (ie lack of accessible element) that none of the current world powers would already have an easy time of making the battery

The battery works on induced gamma emission, the core of the battery contains Hf-178m2 nuclear isomer which the battery mechanism can convert to and from regular hafnium. The battery mechanism cannot fully discharge the battery safely and so there's always some Hf-178m2 still existing in the core even with the battery is in "fully discharged" state. Attempting to disassemble the battery to learn how it works results in all of the hafnium nuclear isomer immediately converting to regular hafnium and basically a tiny nuclear explosion. No one else has managed to reverse engineer the battery yet.
>>
>>46000844
Do you deny there is a production/transportation energy bottleneck?
A better battery would drastically reduce this bottleneck, and I'm imagining this superbattery would allow for minimal energy degradation in terms of long term storage.
In terms of aircraft, a battery of the same energy density as fuel would absolutely replace fuel in aircraft. Then you can just have the recharging stations at airports.
A superbattery would also definitely allow for distributed grids to actually work. You know how power-grids have times of increased and decreased demand? You know how ensuring that areas of grid get the power that they require is a monstrously huge task that we're still trying to perfect, after more than seven decades of integrated power grids? Better batteries (that don't lose power, that can discharge rapidly) would allow for easier localized management of the power resources.

I'm not saying that you don't still need to produce the power, I'm saying that a superbattery would make power distribution, power management and power miniaturization much easier than it currently is.
>>
>>46001241
>Do you deny there is a production/transportation energy bottleneck?
Yes. For vehicles. Not for grids.

>A better battery would drastically reduce this bottleneck
Even a GREAT battery is worse than a wire.

>In terms of aircraft, a battery of the same energy density as fuel would absolutely replace fuel in aircraft
Maybe for a cessna. But how in the name of fuck are you going to make a turbojet on a battery? Pure screw is seriously limited by RPMs.

>A superbattery would also definitely allow for distributed grids to actually work
Fuck distributed grids. They only allow for fragmentation of larger issues and partial solutions.
>You know how ensuring that areas of grid get the power that they require is a monstrously huge task that we're still trying to perfect
It's a huge task due to perpetual growth of urban areas. What was a great grid for a city 15 years ago suck today, and this goes on and on. There's very little trouble in beuilding a perfect grid for the needs of today, and batteries will not solve the issue of future development planning.

>>46001039
>power armour become a lot more feasible
True, somewhat.
>energy weapons
Nay.
>>
>>46001039
>induced gamma emission,
This is a terrible idea on many levels.
>>
>>46000559
>Only the huge governments or a HUUUEG corp would be capable of maintaining the necessary infrastructure.
Pretty sure OP had implied that someone other than world powers did have an easy time making them, since there's been enough proliferation to change the world.
>>
>>45999527
Well it would piss off a lot of energy/fuel providers and likely result in a bitter to-the-death corporate fued in which the newer more efficient but less established energy is crippled by petty litigation by dozens of competators each with literal billions to throw at making shit as obnoxiously difficult to distribute as possible. Nevermind the political hoohah that'd get tied into that shit.
>>
MACHINE HEAAAAAADDDDD
Are there any racing RPGs out there? I'm not sure how it would really work, but it sounds fun as hell.
>>
>>45999527

Something like the coils from Dimension W?
>>
>>45999527
>It has the energy density of gasoline
>And still has the efficiency of electricity
You mean Li-O2 batteries?
>>
>>46005942
>trusting Coils
>ever
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.