[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
SitS Quest #10
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 122
Thread images: 2
File: op.png (949 KB, 1200x576) Image search: [Google]
op.png
949 KB, 1200x576
The rest of your hospital stay passes in the blink of an eye. When you finally check out, you find that the SCU has footed the bill as promised. Even if they hadn’t, you have the sneaking suspicion that a certain Fokir CEO would have done so. Such are the benefits of playing both sides of the coin. But that could change in the coming days. You might end up choosing one over the other if only to stop having to walk that dangerous tightrope between them. It really comes down to what Qwin has in store for you. She’s likely the only option you have to continue straddling the line and live.

Needless to say, you’re both wary and nervous of what’s to come. Such paranoia is what’s kept you alive this long. It’s why you’re almost entirely convinced that there’s a fourth player in the mix that’s trying to get Fokir and the SCU to openly fight with one another, with you being the catalyst. Said fourth party is your primary concern for the time being, especially now that you’re starting to get leads on who they might be.
>>
Twitter: @ELHMk1
Archive Link:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1RFjC4hLbsnPcoA8EZTNWj9THbki3yOLjADkiMidlmfk/edit?usp=sharing

Character Sheet & NPC References:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1rzrQLrCE99M_fOu_RDG9zz5pemWhc_DPqXNOIv9kOuc/edit?usp=sharing

As we’re using a simplified Traveller system most rolls will be 2d6 versus a number (typically 8). In an attempt to allow the most people to participate in the rolls I let four people roll a single d6. The lowest two are then dropped and the remaining die added together with bonuses/modifiers (if applicable).

To be clear: Rolls DO NOT count until they are called for. And not every DC/Modifier will be shown. Choices with checks on them may not always be highlighted or obvious.

In the highly likely event that the Dice Gods are assholes you have the option of making a single roll result a 9. Most of the time this means an automatic success but it will come with a caveat of sorts in the narrative. It also can only be used every other session.

Thanks for sticking with me through this reboot. I’m sure there will be some bumps, so just bear with me! Don’t be afraid to ask for clarification, especially about things that were covered in previous threads. I’ll try and link to specific post numbers where applicable. Paranoia chat is also encouraged as it amuses me.
>>
>>45987806

In the time it takes you to return to your apartment and take a much needed shower, you receive several new messages. Your VI happily displays them before you using your apartment’s built-in holo-projectors. The first is from Mariet of the SCU:

> “Weldon. Looked into Soong’s accounts. He had quite a few offshore and more than a handful of dummies. Best I can tell, he and the others were paid in bearer bonds up front. Nothing else really explains the in-person deposits over the course of a week. So no dice there. However, one of my old Lancer buddies tells me that a friend of a friend has a contact looking to hire Lancers for an anti-Fokir job. It may not be related at all, but it might be worth looking into. The Chief’s probably going to send someone regardless. Might as well be you, right? Hope you’re doing well. -M”

The next is from Aria:

> “Hi James. Valeriya turned up something rather interesting. It seems as though Hesnos is openly hiring Lancers for jobs here in Ocrania. Said jobs run the gambit, but I’m willing to bet more than a few are aimed at Fokir and me. As they say, turnabout is fair play. If you’re interested, I’ll let you head up a team or two to remind Hesnos why they’re nothing but a minor nuisance. Regardless, if you’re free this coming Friday, I’d like to take you out for dancing and dinner. Just let me know~”

Finally, there’s a very short blurb from an anonymous sender who you assume is Qwin:

> “Will stop by later tonight.”

“Wow,” remarks your VI. “You’ve only just got back and your plate’s already full. What are you going to do?”

> cont
>>
>>45987832

You have most of the day free at the moment. Technically you’re not due back to work for the SCU for a few days, but showing up early might let you follow up on Mariet’s lead. Then again, if Aria’s message is correct, then you already know who might be behind it. Taking her angle would kill two birds with one stone. Last, but not least, you have to consider Qwin in all this. She might have something completely unrelated for you to do. Or maybe she’s just coming by because she’s bored. Hard to say, given that you’ve only spoken with her twice thus far.

> [1] Go to work (SCU)
> [2] Reply favorably to Aria’s message
> [3] Wait around until Qwin shows up
> [4] Write in
>>
>>45987848
>> [3] Wait around until Qwin shows up
>>
>>45987848
>[3] Wait around until Qwin shows up

Be cool. Be non-commital. Exercise while we wait to see how we feel. Are we up to excitement, or will we keel over halfway through something?
>>
[3] it is. Back in a bit!
>>
>>45987848

You’ve just gotten back on your feet. There’s no real reason for you to jump into action right away. So you continue to take it relatively easy until evening falls. You only just return from a walk around the block to find a certain someone about to knock upon your door.

“Oh, there you are,” says Qwin with a small huff. “Let’s not doddle out here. We’ve much to discuss.”

You raise an eyebrow but say nothing for the time being. Instead you unlock your door and stand aside. Qwin walks in and immediately calls up several schematics on your holo-projectors. The green holograms swirl as your visitor rifles through them. Occasionally your VI pops up with a string of numbers and letters that seem like gibberish to you. What Qwin’s doing is way beyond you. Your guess is she’s checking for bugs, much like Cathy did when she first visited. But this seems far more thorough.

“Well the good news is there aren’t any plants listening in,” Qwin finally says as she dismisses the holograms with a wave of her hand. “Virtual, real, or otherwise.”

“That’s good news indeed,” you reply. “I’ve already been burned by a potted plant once in this past month. I’d rather not repeat it.”

“Yes I read all about your depressing habits before everything happened. But I’m not here to criticize your social life.”

“What are you here for?” you ask cautiously.

“To bring you back up to speed and show you what’s really going on in Ocrania these days.”

“I see.”

> [1] Offer to get her a drink before you begin
> [2] Ask if she objects to you ordering out
> [3] Dive right in about your suspicions surrounding Hesnos
> [4] Write in
>>
>>45988371
>[1] Offer to get her a drink before you begin

I suspect we're gonna need one
>>
>>45988371
> [1] Offer to get her a drink before you begin
>>
[1] is it, back shortly!
>>
>>45988371

Let it not be said that you’re a poor host. Before Qwin can get too wound up, you offer to get her a drink. She promptly replies, “Depends on what you have. If Fokir stocked your bar then there should be a decent bottle of scotch somewhere.”

You can’t say you’ve ever actually had scotch before, let alone what the bottle might look like. There’s a period of several minutes where you hold up a bottle at a time to see if it’s the correct one, only for Qwin to shake her head in the negative. It’s only when you get to the very end that she finally says, “Yes, that’s the one. On the rocks, if you would be so kind.”

Again, not knowing the proper protocol in which to consume scotch, you follow her example and pour out two glasses with ice in them. You walk them over to your couch where Qwin’s taken up residence, hand her her glass, then sit opposite her. She wastes little time in sampling her beverage.

“Eh, not their best. But it’s something at least. Anyways, let’s start at square one. What did you think of all the data I let you rifle through?” For reference: >>40827428

> [1] It’s a lot to take in
> [2] You didn’t expect to see Cathy in that light
> [3] What was that about Queens and princesses?
> [4] Write in
>>
>>45988747
> [3] What was that about Queens and princesses?
>>
>>45988747
>[1] It’s a lot to take in

Mostly cause the link is dead.
>>
>>45988829
Use your archive of choice anon. That or use this sup/tg/ link and ctrl-f: http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/40823994/
>>
File: Pa pa pa pa pandaneko.gif (921 KB, 480x268) Image search: [Google]
Pa pa pa pa pandaneko.gif
921 KB, 480x268
>>45988857
Thanks.

Have some cute.
>>
>>45988747

You start off by saying, “It was… interesting to say the least. Some of it went over my head though. Like that thing about Queens and Princesses, for example. What was that all about?”

That earns you a small frown. “In order to adequately explain that, you’ll have to accept a few basic truths first.”

“Depends what those truths are.”

“Fair enough. Let’s start off with a simple one: There exists a collective entity above every single government and corporation here on Meridian.”

> [1] You mean the Illuminati?
> [2] Oh great, she’s one of *those*
> [3] It wouldn’t surprise you
> [4] Write in
>>
>>45988996
> [3] It wouldn’t surprise you
Now are your referring to the populace? Or something more organized?
>>
>>45988996
>[1] You mean the Illuminati?

Let's play along and see how crazy this gets. Or worse, how crazy it doesn't get
>>
>>45988996

“That wouldn’t surprise me,” you reply. “With how much the ‘Illuminati’ is thrown around there has to be some truth to it. You’re saying they’re actually a thing though?”

Qwin sips at her drink and nods. “If it helps you think about it, they’re a group of individuals that have been guiding mankind for centuries. Both from the shadows and in the limelight.”

“Definitely sounds like the type of crowd all the conspiracies paint a picture of. Let’s say I believe you for a moment, are you basically telling me that there’s someone out there powerful enough to warrant a code name of ‘Queen,’ high above every living soul on the planet, and yet I, a relatively regular guy, can know about them from a single file?”

“Let’s just say that particular file was rather difficult to procure and disarm. Even for me.”

You raise an eyebrow at her. “So there are limits to your hacking skills. That’s both comforting and concerning.”

She shrugs your comment off. “In any event, the next ‘truth’ you have to accept is that there exists individuals in this lofty collective that don’t necessarily agree with the way things are going. But acting against the group is such a complicated and risky affair that they’re few in number.”

You think you see where she’s going with this. “The missing ‘princess’ being one of them?”

“Yes. Whoever this person is they’re likely related to the ‘Queen’ and have been acting on their own for some time. Obviously, this is something the larger group is keeping tabs on.”

> [1] Any ideas who it might be?
> [2] How did she even get this much information in the first place?
> [3] You’re not buying it, but you’ll humor her for the time being
> [4] Write in
>>
>>45988996
>>
>>45989345
>[2] How did she even get this much information in the first place?

A valid question. There's a lot of super secret stuff happening that we are being expected to take on trust from shady people.
>>
>>45989345
>>
>>45989345
>>
>>45989345

One thing bothers you about this whole affair. If this is all supposedly super secret information, then how did Qwin even get this much in the first place? There’s something she’s not telling you.

You throw a low-ball question her way along that way of thinking. “How long have *you* known about them then?”

“About the same time I decided to become the ‘Puppetmaster.’ I can’t say the two events were unrelated.”

“And never once have they caught on or realized you were snooping around?”

“Not to my knowledge. As much as I hate tooting my own horn, I’m very good at what I do.”

There’s still something left unsaid that you can’t quite put your finger on. But badgering her about it probably won’t get you anywhere.

> [1] Ask for more details about her becoming the Puppetmaster
> [2] Let the subject go for the time being
> [3] Admit that this is all rather convenient if she’s trying to sell you on something
> [4] Write in
>>
>>45989686
>>
>>45989686
>>
>>45989686
>[1] Ask for more details about her becoming the Puppetmaster

3 would just start an arguement, and this is a good time to press for info, so 2 is out.
>>
Had to switch computers. Gimme a few more minutes!
>>
>>45989686

You settle on a slightly different track of thinking. “So the whole Puppetmaster thing was a front of some sort?”

She shrugs once more. “I suppose you could call it that, yes. It was an opportunity to somewhat expose the nature of this secretive group without getting my hands too dirty.”

“How so?”

“Well for starters, the now-old android model was something they were trying to push onto the market through various venues. Apparently it was very important that Corps and normal people alike came to rely on them. So by having them off themselves it stirred up quite a bit of anti-android sentiment. Which in turn meant their plans were set back for the time being.”

“So you saved us from, what, an android takeover or something?”

Qwin chuckles at that. “Nothing so drastic. I think it was more that they wanted to spread their insidious tentacles even further and it just so happened to be the perfect opportunity. Besides, when was the last time you ever heard about androids being a problem?”

“Well the Puppetmaster incident, I guess. Nothing really before then.”

“Exactly. Before that no one would have really thought ill of them. But now there’s all sorts of rules and regulations surrounding them. Rules that prevent the cabal (for lack of a better term) from using them as originally intended.”

> [1] You’re still not 100% on what the cabal was after, but it sounds like Qwin did well
> [2] If they’re all-powerful, shouldn’t they have foreseen her actions?
> [3] Move on to a different file from the group
> [4] Write in
>>
>>45990349
>> [2] If they’re all-powerful, shouldn’t they have foreseen her actions?
>>
>>45990349
>[1] You’re still not 100% on what the cabal was after, but it sounds like Qwin did well

I don't think they're all powerful, just very well placed and operating very long term.
>>
Hm. I'll tie break with [1] just to keep things moving. Back in a bit!
>>
>>45990349

You finally get around to trying the bit of scotch you poured for yourself. It’s not half bad, though you do cough a little as the first swig goes down. When your airway is clear once more, you say, “I don’t really see what they might have been after, but I suppose we’re better off for you having intervened.”

Qwin cracks another smile. “I think that’s the first thing approaching a ‘thank you’ I’ve gotten in awhile. But enough about enemies unseen. You’ve got enough to worry about down here at what I’m calling ‘Weldon-level.’”

You try not to grimace at being a specific level of FUBAR. “Right. I’ve got the SCU wanting to pin Fokir for something, and Fokir wanting the SCU out of their hair so they can expand. Then there’s Hesnos which is trying to get the two to actively war…”

“Hesnos? That optics company? Why do you think they’re involved?”

“Well someone had to gain from me being taken out of the picture. I was in the perfect position to act as a catalyst. Had I not had these limbs…” You motion at your cybernetic arms and legs.

“So you think Fokir’s distant second is behind it? Hm…”

Qwin calls up a sudden, massive web of lights from your holo-projectors. She stares sagely at it for a time, then lets out a “hmm.” When you press her on it, she replies, “It’s true that Hesnos is a bit more active recently, yet I don’t think they’re behind your attempted poisoning. They might be hiring Lancers, but not the kind with skills to orchestrate an assassination right under Fokir CEO’s nose.”

“Who then?” you ask.

> cont
>>
>>45991043

“Believe it or not, I think it’s the cabal. They may not know that you know about them, but that doesn’t mean you weren’t, as you said, a perfect catalyst. Hesnos isn’t the only entity out there that has to gain from the SCU and Fokir feuding after all.”

“I’m not so sure I’m ready to blame ‘our shadowy masters’ just yet,” you reply.

“At this point it really doesn’t matter I guess. What’s important for you to do now is to make sure they *don’t* attack one another more than they already are.”

> [1] And how should you do that?
> [2] Mention that Aria’s thinking of hiring Lancers for some anti-Hesnos jobs
> [3] Tell Qwin that the SCU might be sending someone on an anti-Fokir Lancer gig
> [4] Write in
>>
>>45991072
Oh shit.

> [3] Tell Qwin that the SCU might be sending someone on an anti-Fokir Lancer gig

Show her the emails that we've got.
>>
>>45991072

What Anon >>45991110 says. Get her the updated secret info that we have charmed out of ladies.
>>
>>45991072
>>
>>45991072
>>
>>45991072

“That might be difficult,” you admit. “Especially since both are starting to look into the Lancer angle of attack.”

“How so?” asks Qwin. “I haven’t heard any mutterings yet that lead back to either party.”

You have your VI call up the two recent emails you received from Mariet and Aria. Qwin looks them over quickly, then lets out a sigh.

“I suppose it’s only natural for them to act this way. Aria wants someone’s head on a platter, while the SCU wants some sort of revenge for one of their own being attacked. Neither is going to accomplish anything in the long term other than to cause more strife.”

“So what do you suggest we do then?”

Qwin’s eyes drift across your face. “For starters, you’ll need to try and get the SCU to not act. It doesn’t really matter if Fokir whacks a few Hesnos heads around. But if someone even tangentially related to the SCU is involved in a anti-fokir Lancer gig gone bad, there’ll be all sorts of investigations.”

“You’d think the chief would know that,” you postulate. “She doesn’t strike me as the type to overlook this type of thing.”

“The key word used was ‘probably.’ They may simply keep tabs on the operation. Sending an actual SCU member would be far too risky. Even someone like you.”

“Basically, I need to head into work early tomorrow and make sure their heads are on level. That about right?”

Qwin nods. “Yes. But then there’s this matter of a date with Aria this coming Friday.”

> [1] I was thinking of cancelling it anyways
> [2] I’m supposed to let you control my love life too?
> [3] I was looking forward to it
> [4] Write in
>>
>>45991461
> [3] I was looking forward to it
>>
>>45991461
>[2] I’m supposed to let you control my love life too?

Although joining in may still be on the table.
>>
>>45991461
>4: Ugh lay it on me, but I am getting final say in who I date. that's not negotiable.
>>
Hm. I think somewhere between [2] and [3] is what we're going with. Back in a bit!
>>
>>45991461

You’re not entirely thrilled the subject of your love life has suddenly come up. You keep a cool head and reply, “Lay it on me. Though I was somewhat looking forward to it. I prefer having the final say in who I date.”

“Oh you’re certainly free to romantically pursue whomever you wish,” says Qwin. “It just makes certain tasks more difficult in the long run. Take Aria, for example. If you do end up dating her it’s just going to make you less inclined to take any actions which might adversely affect her or Fokir. Same story if you go with Coretha. Sorry, Cathy. If you’re going to play both sides you need to keep them both at arm’s length.”

“That’s probably easier said than done in Aria’s case.”

“Which is why this third date is rather important. If you’re going to break things off with her, then would be the best time to do so before she becomes totally enamored. She won’t be thrilled, but you’ll be alive. Conversely, it’s probably a safe bet you’ll end up back at hers (like it or not) if you don’t turn her down.”

“You sound way too cheerful about this,” you point out.

Qwin waves you off. “Oh don’t mind me. I just find the position you’re in rather funny. Like I said when we first met, you really should have taken that Lancer job Taras had for you.”

“So you keep telling me…”

> [1] You’re not going to commit one way or the other for now
> [2] You’re leaning towards Aria
> [3] You’re leaning towards Cathy
> [4] Write in
>>
>>45991976
>>
>>45991976
>[1] You’re not going to commit one way or the other for now

They're both entirely too terrifying.
>>
>>45991976
Either the safest or most dangerous option, here.
>>
>>45991976
obligatory polygamy option
>>
>>45991976
>>
>>45991976

“I guess I’ll have to come up with a good reason to break things off with Aria then. That or how to prevent her pouncing me.” And just like that your “casual” date this coming Friday becomes a source of anxiety rather than a welcome distraction.

Again this all seems entirely too amusing to Qwin as she has a laugh at your expense. “Good luck with that. Anyways, if you’re going into the SCU tomorrow, I have something for you to do on the side. You don’t have to do it right away, but obviously the sooner the better.”

“And that would be?”

She produces a small data wafer and tosses it over. “See that that makes its way onto this ‘Mariet’s’ terminal. I’d try and do it myself from an external perspective, but I already ran quite the risk by sneaking in that android weeks ago.”

“Somehow I doubt she’ll be willing to load random files just because I gave them to her.”

“You’ll think of something, I’m sure. That’s all I have for you for now, unless you have something for me?”

> [1] Nah you’re good
> [2] Ask her about… (Write in)
>>
>>45992376
>> [2] Ask her about… (Write in)
could the "QUEEN" be space based?
>>
So here's my thought, we give them both the spiel of "I like you but getting too close to you and your company is going to be a problem." Then we'll see which if any of them is wiling to break off their company for us, THAT is the keeper.
>>
>>45992376
>[2] Ask her about… (Write in)

Could Hesnos be a catspaw for the Cabal?
>>
>>45992376
> [2] Ask her about… (Write in)
Who in her opinion is right in the Queen/Princess conflict. Don't ask for details.
>>
>>45992442
You do have a few things that’ve come to mind while you’ve been talking. “Just a passing thought. Could the ‘Queen’ be space-based?”

Qwin shrugs. “I wouldn’t doubt it, really. At the very least they have free access to the elevators and the untold riches that can be found up there. If not them then someone else in the cabal.”

“Just seems odd that anyone who can go up would still care about the rest of us mere mortals.”

“People are funny like that. Especially the controlling types.”

>>45992615
“Speaking of which, is it possible that they control Hesnos?”

“It’s highly probable that they have some stock in the company, in some way, shape, or form. But actually running it? Doubtful. It’s not nearly as influential or profitable as their usual haunts.”

>>45992658
“One last thing. In this whole Queen/Princess debacle, who do you think is right?”

Qwin smiles at you coyly. “I should think that much to be obvious, Weldon. Whoever this ‘Princess’ is is a woman after my own heart.”

---

>>45992376
“Anyways… Thanks for the drink. Just bother the bird if you need to get in touch. Otherwise you’ll understand if I remain hidden for the time being.”

“Of course. I’ll see you out.”

You do just that. After Qwin’s taken her leave, you find yourself with the arduous task of falling asleep with a racing mind. You don’t get a whole lot of rest by the time your alarm starts blaring. Shaking off weariness, you get prepared for a day at the SCU. The only sticky part is the data wafer Qwin gave you. You suppose you could have your VI make it look like something useful, though that might take some time.

> [1] Try and pass it off as something else
> [2] You’ll think of something to distract Mariet
> [3] Write in
>>
>>45992862
>>
>>45992862
>>
>>45992862
>[2] You’ll think of something to distract Mariet

You should see this thing I saw online last night...
>>
Your Bird-VI is more than happy to try and spruce up the data to make it look legit. It’s just a matter of choosing what specifically.

> [1] Data about Spice
> [2] Data about Fokir
> [3] Data about the Puppetmaster
> [4] Other (Specify)
>>
>>45993081
>[1] Data about Spice
>>
>>45993081
> [3] Data about the Puppetmaster
Technically, we're not incorrect.
>>
>>45993081
> [1] Data about Spice
>>
>>45993081
What do we have more actual data on?
>>
>>45993184
The first two. Though the latter would be giving up the accounting information you got from Qwin.
>>
>>45993224
Alright then

>>45993081
> [1] Data about Spice
>>
>>45992862
You settle on data about the drug known as Spice. It was what you were working on before your hospital stay, and should be enough to get Mariet to take the bait. The actual process of obfuscation takes your VI the better part of an hour, so you have to really leg it to reach the SCU “on time.” You manage to get in the door just as Chief Hatos does. As seems to be habit with her, she’s carting several cups of coffee from a place down the block.

“Welcome back, Weldon,” she says as the two of you head towards the elevators. “We weren’t expecting you back for a few more days. You sure you’re ready?”

“I was just sitting around home bored,” you reply. “I might as well be doing something useful for you all.”

> [1] Bring up the Anti-Fokir job
> [2] Let sleeping dogs lie for the time being
> [3] Ask how things have been going in your absence
> [4] Write in
>>
>>45993478
>[3] Ask how things have been going in your absence

Ease in. Subtle.
>>
>>45993478
> [1] Bring up the Anti-Fokir job

The sooner we deal with this, the better.
>>
>>45993478
>> [3] Ask how things have been going in your absence
>>
>>45993478
>>
>>45993478

“How have things been while I’ve been gone?” you ask.

“Rather uneventful aside from a few incidents,” replies Hatos. “We’ve been slowly working on cornering the remainder of that Spice racket you helped blow the lid off of. That and trying to get anything useful out of the Lancers who poisoned you.”

“Speaking of, did you all come up with anything on the Soong guy?”

Hatos tilts her head to the side for a moment. Then she answers, “Mariet says nothing useful. But that she might have a lead on something that’ll require our immediate attention.”

“Oh? Should I start guessing or will it have to wait?”

The chief grins at you. “Well since it’s going to involve you, no harm in not waiting. We’re going to need you to put a stop to a Lancer group that’s going after Fokir.”

> [1] Why me?
> [2] Why stop them?
> [3] O-Oh…
> [4] Write in

Fair warning - the power's flickered a few times. If I vanish you know why.
>>
>>45993837
>[1] Why me?
>>
>>45993837
> [1] Why me?
>>
>>45993837
>[1] Why me?

And who's sending them?
>>
>>45993837
> [1] Why me?
>>
>>45993837

Well this is a surprise. You were convinced you’d have to stop the SCU from rushing in guns blazing. It’s a welcome change for your paranoia to be proven wrong. “Why me?” you ask.

“Think about it,” says Hatos. “We send our resident Fokir-related employee, you, out to stop a rag-tag group of mercs from doing something against Fokir itself. The SCU looks good for stopping Lancers from running rampant, and gets brownie points with Fokir in the process. In fact, you going on this will look like we’re fully cooperating with the rules Chairman Orlin passed down.”

“I see. Will I have any backup?”

“The usual suspect(s). Though ideally you’ll be able to handle the Lancers without any need for it.” She pauses for a moment, then continues, “Mariet says she’ll have more information for us later in the day. Until then you’re free to try and catch up on the mountain of paperwork that’s accumulated on your desk.”

Ah, yes. In the slightly-gritty present there is only paperwork. At least it’s nothing strenuous. And it’ll give you an excuse to “run into” Mariet in the process. You bow your head and spend the rest of the elevator ride with Hatos in silence. She gets off before you do, leaving you alone for the time being.

> [1] Head straight for Mariet
> [2] Actually do some work first
> [3] Do the full “water cooler tour” and see how everyone in the SCU is doing
> [4] Write in
>>
>>45994230
>[2] Actually do some work first
>>
>>45994230
>[3] Do the full “water cooler tour” and see how everyone in the SCU is doing

Be casual, but not too casual
>>
>>45994230
> [3] Do the full “water cooler tour” and see how everyone in the SCU is doing
>>
As I had a feeling it would, my power's gone out. Yay phoneposting. If it comes back within the hour I'll keep updating, but otherwise I think we'll have to call it here for tonight. We'll pick up where we left off Thursday at 8pm if that's the case.
>>
>>45994530
Why do QM's seem to have their power go out more than normal people? Maybe it's just a confirmation bias.
>>
>>45994530
Thanks for the fun, boss. I'll keep this open in case you come back.

>>45994630
Its the CURSE!

Or its just that lots of us have the power go out, but we're all anon, so there's not much way to tell if 10 of us disappear.
>>
So, just curious, what route do people think should be taken here? I like Cathy, but Aria has really started to grow on me. On the other hand, going full-SCU or full-Fokir have as many problems as playing both sides against the middle.
>>
>>45996052
Play it down the middle, and pray we're alive when it ends. IF there's a waifu it'll be after this is all said and done.
>>
>>45996052
To be honest, all three frighten me, and not in the sexy way.

Aria is known to be twitchy and violet.
Cathy is an invisible, tank-killing cyborg.
Qwin can re-write what we seen and feel.

I say we try to get through this and then marry our pillow.
>>
>>45996587
>Qwin can re-write what we seen and feel.

Actually our only augs are in our legs, and they aren't wifi susceptible. So she can't.
>>
>>45996639
Ok she can re-write other peoples. Still unsettling.
>>
>>45996639
Arms and legs according to the character sheet
>>
>>45996795
true

>>45996813
still not networked for hacking thankfully.
>>
>>45994230

You’re not really on speaking terms with a majority of the SCU, but it couldn’t hurt to do the rounds and at least try to be sociable. Your first port of call is the indoor range to see Demian, the range master and armory keeper. You find him currently drilling Sako on the proper operation of a rather sleek looking assault rifle.

“Is a step up from our usual issue,” you catch wind of from Demian as you approach. “But most important is ability to fire blanket-area EMP. Covers area of about three meters. Very useful for putting down rogue cyborgs.”

The visor-bearing Sako gives the weapon a once over, then assumes a proper firing stance and aims downrange. Each squeeze of the trigger fires off a bolt of blue energy from the rifle. Said bolts harmlessly impact a manikin, leaving no trace whatsoever. Were it not for the muzzle flash and muffled hum that accompanies each shot it’d likely go unnoticed.

“Hey Demian, Sako,” you call out. “How are things?”

The former turns to beam at you and throw his arms wide. “Ah, Weldon is back! Very good. Was worried poison might get you. What brings you to the range?”

“I’m just doing the rounds and trying to catch up with everyone,” you answer. “Anything I should know about?”

“Not that I am thinking of. Perhaps Sako…?”

Sako doesn’t even look in your direction. Instead he keeps staring downrange and firing. Between shots, he coolly says, “You haven’t missed anything, rookie. If anything you getting attacked was the most eventful thing to happen in a while. I hear Mariet’s looking for you, though. Better to not keep her waiting.”

“Right then, I guess I know where I’m headed next. Thanks.”

“Mhm.”

> cont
>>
>>45997541

You don’t beeline for Mariet’s room right off. Instead, you poke your head into the Crime Lab along the way to see Sergio and Cetus engaged in some sort of scene recreation with various cybernetic limbs. Every limb appears to have some sort of hidden weapon, ranging from simple blades all the way to actual guns. You think about interrupting the two men but decide not to in the end. That just leaves you with Cathy on your list of people to see, and you just saw her the other day. Hence, you head for Mariet’s room.

The door to Mariet’s room is half-ajar when you come upon it. Through the opening you can see the twin-tailed woman hard at work deciphering spreadsheets. So as not to startle her, you knock and announce your presence.

“Hey Mariet, got a few?”

She doesn’t look away from her screens to reply, “Yes, I have a few spare moments. What can I do for you, Weldon?”

> [1] Offer up the data wafer
> [2] Ask about the Lancer gig and if there’s more information yet
> [3] Simply say that you’re doing the rounds
> [4] Write in
>>
>>45997578
>>
>>45997578
>>
>>45997578
>>
>>45997578
>>
>>45997578
These >>45997623 >>45997688 as Anons suggest
>>
>>45997578

“I wanted to drop off this bit of data on the Spice trade that I was working on prior to my leave of absence. And to see if you had any more information yet about the Lancer gig that the Chief’s assigned me to.”

Mariet extends a hand and points at an end table. “Leave the Spice stuff there for the time being. As for the Lancer stuff, I’m still trying to get a solid meeting place from my contact. For a Johnson he’s being… well, particularly Johnson-like.”

Meaning that the one in charge of the operation is being deliberately flighty and paranoid. It’s standard operating procedure really, but can be rather annoying. “Do we at least know what they might be doing and how many are involved?” you ask.

“Ballpark is about five people, not including you,” replies Mariet. “As for what they’re doing, again the Johnson is being shifty. We likely won’t find out until you’ve actually met with the guy.”

“Lovely. But you’re sure it’s definitely an anti-Fokir thing at the very least?”

“Yes. That’s about as much information as I’ve gotten. That it involves ‘throwing a wrench into Fokir’s day’ or other such nonsense. Aside from that…”

> [1] What can you tell me about the Johnson at least?
> [2] When you know more, just give me a shout
> [3] She should go over the Spice data while you’re there
> [4] Write in
>>
>>45997943

> [1] What can you tell me about the Johnson at least?
>>
>>45997943
>[1] What can you tell me about the Johnson at least?

Maybe we know him.
>>
>>45997943
>[2] When you know more, just give me a shout
>>
>>45997943

“What can you tell me about the Johnson at least? I know he’s a friend of a friend of another friend type deal, but…”

Mariet purses her lips. “He’s relatively new in terms of being a Johnson. He used to be muscle, but now he runs the show. Where he’s getting the jobs from is a small mystery. It might be from a contact he’s worked for in the past. Or, at least, that would make the most sense. He’s definitely not the type to come up with contracts on his own. That or he’s deceptively kept his intelligence hidden.”

“So either he’s just another puppet or he’s actually some kind of planning genius. Good to know. Anything else?”

“Afraid not. Like I said, you’ll probably learn all you need to know within minutes of actually meeting him. If he’d just… UGH!” She applies her forehead to her desk. “He’s changed the meeting time and place yet AGAIN. Why can’t he just pick a place already? This is getting ridiculous.”

“Well when he does, you know where to find me: under all the paperwork.”

“So I’ve heard. Have fun with that, by the way.”

> [1] Leave and hope the data wafer holds up on its own
> [2] Try to get her to access it now while you’re around to explain any irregularities
> [3] Write in
>>
>>45998371
> [2] Try to get her to access it now while you’re around to explain any irregularities
>>
>>45998371
>[2] Try to get her to access it now while you’re around to explain any irregularities

Get it started while she's distracted.
>>
>>45998371
>[1] Leave and hope the data wafer holds up on its own
>>
You know, we haven't had a roll in awhile. Let's try one now for Deception.

Four anons, 1d6 each. You want at least two of the die to add up to 7.
>>
Rolled 5 (1d6)

>>45998685
>>
Rolled 1 (1d6)

>>45998685
>>
Rolled 1 (1d6)

>>45998685
>>
Rolled 5 (1d6)

>>45998685
>>
>>45998977
>>45998966
>>45998766
>>45998705
Fffffff
>>
Really?
>>
I think I saw a third 1 before that second 5 came down. So you fail, but not by much. Back in a bit!
>>
>>45999043
Atleast all the 1's were dubs
>>
>>45998371

You don’t want to push Mariet too much into accessing the wafer, but it’s best she does so while you’re around. That way you can explain any irregularities that might pop up. You’re not 100% sure that your VI did its job properly. Or, rather, you’re banking on the fact that at least one thing will be amiss. Such would be your luck today.

“Before I go,” you start. “You might want to at least take a quick look at the Spice stuff I brought. It’ll give you something to do while waiting on the Johnson.”

“I suppose it couldn’t hurt. Pass it over.”

You slide over the wafer and wait anxiously. Mariet connects it to her terminal without blinking. It immediately causes several windows to pop up on her wall of monitors. Spreadsheets and maps, mostly. But there’s one thing that catches your eye. A very tiny bird flitters across one of the screens, hardly noticeable as it flies into a corner and vanishes. Luckily, it doesn’t seem that Mariet noticed it. Or if she did she doesn’t show any signs of it.

“Hm. I think we knew about that particular den, but it couldn’t hurt to double-check. Let me see…”

She pulls up several other windows, comparing their data to that which you brought. In short order, Mariet continues, “Yep. We dismantled that one while you were away. Nothing new, I’m afraid.”

“Ah. Well something, at least,” you say, glad that you’ve managed to do as Qwin asked without being caught. “I guess I’ll go and get started on that paperwork then.”

“Here, don’t forget your data wafer.”

> cont
>>
>>45999332

Mariet removes it from her terminal and hands it back to you. In the few seconds her attention is not on the screens, the same bird soars across the screen into the opposite corner. You try not to bite your lip at this. Hopefully the program or VI or whatever you’ve just unleashed into Mariet’s playground will stop showing off.

In any case, once you have the wafer back, Mariet shoo’s you out of her room. With little else to do but wait for her to nail down the Johnson, you wander back to your desk. As promised, there’s several stacks of documents waiting for you. For the most part they’re easily handled. A majority of it is documents relating to the Spice raids. Only a choice few forms require you to actively fill them out. You get the sense that the whole paper thing is largely because you don’t have a cybernetic brain like the rest of the SCU. Or, at least, your only access to the information is through a data slate.

As lunch rapidly approaches, you find yourself trying not to nod off. You catch yourself several times, but it’s not until you get a message from Mariet that you truly wake up.

## Meeting with the Johnson tonight at 2100 at Buckly’s Cafe. If you have any preference to how you’re introduced, I need to know before noon. ##

> [1] Whatever Mariet thinks is best is fine
> [2] You’re muscle
> [3] You’re a face
> [4] You’re a tech-wiz
> [5] Write in
>>
>>45999360
> [1] Whatever Mariet thinks is best is fine
a sneak would probably be best though
>>
>>45999360

You fire back a quick message that whatever she thinks is best will do just fine for you. In the meantime, you take a moment to look up “Buckly’s Cafe.” According to the satellite map in your search results, it’s a back alley hole-in-the-wall down in the lower district. Not unlike the bar you used to frequent when you lived down there. It’s certainly out of the way enough to appeal to a Johnson’s need to be mysterious. Plenty of exit routes too in case things go south.

At this point, you just need to settle on what to bring and how long you’ll be playing along with the other Lancers. If you flip on them too soon, you might miss a chance to learn who the Johnson actually works for. Alternatively, if you wait too long, they might succeed in damaging Fokir in some way. Really you’ll have to play it by ear and hope your backup is as good as it has been in the past.

> Housekeeping next post
>>
My brain just literally died on me, so let's call it there before it turns to complete mush. Thanks for bearing with me through the power hiccup earlier. As I said before, we'll pick up here Thursday. Hopefully you all had a good time.
>>
>>45999964
Thanks for running. Hope your power doesn't die again today.
>>
>>45992443
I doubt anyone involved would be willing to give up what they've got just for us. We're not that far into a relationship with any of them where we're in any place to ask them to choose. Like, maybe if we slept with Aria (as an example) a few times and it was mindblowing there might be something there. But even then none of them strike me as the sort to go completely head over heels for a guy.
>>
>>45999964
Thanks for the fun, boss.

Here's hoping for a stable power grid.
Thread replies: 122
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.