[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
D&D
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1
File: dnd.png (909 KB, 1110x609) Image search: [Google]
dnd.png
909 KB, 1110x609
I just started playing D&D with some veterans. Something that I don't like about the game these guys play is the elaborate, almost ridiculous, stories that they want to play, with massive backstories and characters that all the players know from their past ect. I just want to go on a simple adventure. I don't want love interests, or having to deal with emotional bullshit from my past, or confront my parents etc. Is this normally how people play D&D? Long sessions of just weird psychological bullshit? I really feel like quitting now.
>>
They've already done simple adventures because they've been playing so long. They want to keep it fresh because that's how they have fun too. If you're going to be a drag find a newbie group.
>>
Why don't you be honest and talk to them about it. Explaining what you want to see out of the game.

Maybe the answer is a different group, but they could also be willing to accommodate your play style as well.
>>
>>45978865
>I just want to go on a simple adventure. I don't want love interests, or having to deal with emotional bullshit from my past, or confront my parents etc.
Then roleplay it, mongoloid. Make your character an all-business hothead who doesn't give a shit about bloodlines or honor and just wants to do stuff. Make him impatient and brash. Have him constantly interrupt morons trying to tell you their whole life story. In-character openly mock the ridiculousness in a nasty way. Go to 11 with it.

Make your fun. If that doesn't work then you can leave.
>>
>>45978962

Because I'm a pussy :)

Really though, I don't want to fuck up what they have. It's their terrain, and I think it would be wrong to impose myself on them like that. I think I'm just going to ask to be a type of lesser character with not a lot of a past or depth. But then again, I'll still have to sit through their long personal story sessions that I really don't enjoy.

Meh, I know this is a game I can enjoy, but this might not be the right group for me. Just wanted to know what the norm is.
>>
>>45979084

That's what I want to play. A chaotic neutral character that's as predictable and attached as the wind.
>>
>>45978865
Play it against them. Be the straight man, and develop at your own pace. Make your character legit a farmer or.something simple on an adventure whose like a fish out of water, bring simple and blunt ideas and wisdom to situations

You're the new guy, so be the new guy
>>
>>45979154
>A chaotic neutral character that's as predictable and attached as the wind.
I just threw up a little in my.mouth
>>
>>45979154
You know what, disregard my post. Try a different group (and game).
>>
>>45979084
This usually results in being called a poor roleplayer or "that guy". Best case scenario he's simply ignored in favor of the other players' stories
>>
>>45978865
No. Depends on the group.
>>
Different group is your best solution. Telling RP veterans you just want hack and slash, dungeon crawl and have no back story is sure to get you ejected. There are groups that play that way, and I understand why you'd want to (thats when I play encounters) especially as a noobie.

But if you're not into RP, I recommend a different game entirely.
>>
>>45979500

It's not that I'm not into RP or stories. I just feel that it becomes more of a chore to play this.

Just for some perspective, how many of you guys have played games where your character has to go through 2 hours of talking to NPCs about some shit in their past? I think these guys are just really going in too emotional for my liking. I'm not here for acting improv behs.
>>
>>45979500
However, if they only do RP, and spend entire sessions talking about there backstory and doing emotional bullshit, Id get really annoyed. I would personally find a different group. I like a good mix of RP and combat/story progression.

Talking your way out of combats is fine.
Having long conversations with other PC's and NPC's is fine.
But if the entire game is political, talking, and doing nothing but RP, Id probably get bored and leave.

Find what is fun for you, and find a group with similar interests. TTRPG's arent about following all the rules and being bored in RP, they're about having fun. If you're not having fun, either you're playing with the wrong people for you, or TTRPGs arent for you.
>>
>>45979634
>a chore to play this
Try DMing and get some perspective.
>>
>>45978865
Uh, no, those are Veterans, they are not the usual.

The standar game consist in killing things and aminimal story to give some context.
That sounds more like what you want.

My advice is, part ways with them (be polite and respectful, explain why you are leaving) and search for a group more suited to your expectations.
>>
>>45979681

I know I sound flippant, but I'm not. I'm frustrated. I respect them and I understand the labour they put into this, and I'm not about to piss on what's sacred to them.

My goal of this thread was to understand if this is the norm. If it is, then I'm not even going to look for a new group.
>>
>>45979500
>But if you're not into RP, I recommend a different game entirely.
Not entirely. The "DnD Experience" is very dependent on group and DM.

Lots of players actively seek out this type of group, they themselves probably vets tired of the standard hack and slash of rollplay. Then there are lots of player who enjoy the danger and mayhem of a madcap adventure through both dungeon and urban adventures (the classic "One guy fucks up and suddenly everyone is running from the guards")

The wrong player in a group leaning either way could be a group's "That Guy". The guy who keeps bringing personal drama to a simple game of kill the goblins. Or the guy in the complex political drama campaign who keeps trying to pickpocket everyone.

Both kinds of games can exist in the DnD ruleset, which is the fun of the experience. Unless you end up being That Guy.

>>45979104
>Really though, I don't want to fuck up what they have.

I respect that, props to you..

I, like others in this thread before me, advise an Adapt-or-Leave policy with this group. Find a way to enjoy being injected into this world they have wrought (I liked the All-Business Adventure Man or Fish-Out-of-Water farmer ideas myself), or see if there is another group locally to join that might suit your style more. My condolences if you are in a rural area.
>>
>>45979808
Before I read
>>45979634
I thought OP meant he didnt like RP in general and just wanted to play with the mechanics, like a strategy/war game.

Might be because I recently had to eject a "that guy" who essentially created combat anytime there wasn't any. Even when other people wanted to resupply at stores or sell loot. So I might be a little salty still.
>>
For finding new D&D groups I recommend local game stores. They usually have groups who get together to play in the stores once or twice a week.

If none of those are available or you dont find a group you like/they wont take you, I recommend checking out your local library or community colleges. Sometimes they have a D&D, tabletop, and if neither of those, almost always a MtG club. Speak with the MtG club members about D&D and express your interest in joining a game with lite RP, and explain your situation.
>>
>>45979804
>My goal of this thread was to understand if this is the norm.
This is a very varied hobby, actually. I've played with and DMed for lots of different people. Sometimes we'd just throw together level five characters and "deathmatch" them against whatever our DM wanted to try out. Other times we'd break out our favorite characters and do long slow dungeon crawls with little bits of stuff connected to the characters finding its way in. TL; DR = there is no norm in RPGs.

>If it is, then I'm not even going to look for a new group.
I wouldn't want to sour you to the game as a whole. If this group is very invested in their characters, maybe it'd be best to look for another. Contact the DM and ask about the group. See if they're hack-and-slash all the time or dark-and-broody RPing. It's a fair question to post to someone. After all, you're looking for somewhere that your idea of a good time fits nicely with. I guarantee there are groups out there that will be more of what you're looking for. Hell, there will even be some who take things so grimdark-CoD style of play that it'll turn your stomach.

Good luck, anon.
>>
Alternative solution: If you have any nerdy friends, broach the subject to them about starting a group. In my opinion, RPing with friends is usually THE best experience, because you'll be comfortable around them and the RP tends to emerge when you're having fun with friends. Then you'll have wacky and harrowing tales to recount with your friends when you aren't gaming. And being hyped for a game all week will make each session all the more gratifying, rather than seeming like a chore you have to do with people you feel awkward around.

I know you said you were a pussy so taking the risk of outing yourself to your friends as a DnD nerd might seem like a leap. But considering its ubiquity in culture nowadays, you'd be surprised how many people have a secret desire to roll bones with their homies bubbling within them.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.