[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Generally speaking, between a longsword and a rapier, which do
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 6
File: 1329713419858.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
1329713419858.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1200
Generally speaking, between a longsword and a rapier, which do you think is a better fit for an elf?
>>
>>45971641
Rapier.
It has a double meaning
>>
File: DOTS.png (266 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
DOTS.png
266 KB, 400x300
>>
>>45971672
Generic not-FR medieval sword and sorcery where non-human species are basically locked into class:that particular species, meaning every elf is an elf-brand elf.
>>
>>45971720
Longsword.
>>
>>45972348
Works for me, thanks.
>>
Oh, since I'm going to be in full armor anyway, should I twohand the longsword?
>>
>>45971641
They'll both fit into an elf just fine once you get them through his armor.
>>
File: baselard.jpg (22 KB, 500x420) Image search: [Google]
baselard.jpg
22 KB, 500x420
>>45971641
Longswords are just silly, /always/ subsitute them for bastard swords.
>which do you think is a better fit for an elf?
Purely a matter of aesthetic.
I prefer baselards myself, but I tend to use elves as shanky bastards.
>>
>>45975946
>Longswords are just silly, /always/ subsitute them for bastard swords.
I was thinking of greatswords. Disregard this.
Bastardswords are still better aesthetically.
>>
>>45971641
Longsword since it requires less physical strength to use effectively.
>>
>>45971641

The easy answer, probably something like a longsword, since elves come from norse myth and norse people back then were aiming for that sort of design.

The not so easy answers, they would use their own designs of swords with differences making them not fall correctly in either category.

No, seriously, superior metallurgy, art, highly refined and possibly ritualized combat tested continuously against their dark cousins and probably giants, undead and other nasty shit (so no samurai problem phenomenon), not to mention higher physical strength, unending stamina and fuckall levels of grace, elves could use swords of ridiculous levels of hardness yet not brittle and very light, and wield designs that for us would surely be too heavy to handle correctly. Hell, if an elf wanted to use a landskenetch grosse meisser one handed, there's nothing stopping the bastard from doing it, as well as using a fancy codpiece. But because elves surely had to face also superior enemy armor (which would surely evolve and change too), it's not unreasonable that they would use some kind of huge spike sword hybrids designed to pierce yet with optimal cutting capabilities because still hard edges can be kept sharp as fuck and the weight of the weapon wouldn't be as much of an issue as it is for humans.

However, elves being elves, you'd do better if you capitalized on modified spears and longbows with incredible draw numbers. Swords would be even more of a sidearm than they were for us and would rarely see use in the battlefield outside of specialized troops.
>>
File: 1424309457364.jpg (19 KB, 800x200) Image search: [Google]
1424309457364.jpg
19 KB, 800x200
>>45971641
Neither. The true answer is sabre.
>>
>>45975946
A fuckoff-huge greatsword isn't what most people think of first when someone says elf. I love them myself, but I never use one unless I'm putting some levels in barbarian.
>>
File: 4ac.jpg (72 KB, 621x621) Image search: [Google]
4ac.jpg
72 KB, 621x621
>>45971641
>using anything other than sword and board
>>
File: Typomaster.jpg (45 KB, 560x640) Image search: [Google]
Typomaster.jpg
45 KB, 560x640
>>45975946
>Longswords are just silly
Nah, longswords have their time and place. It's just that they should be pretty outdated in any setting that has fullplate and the like.
>>
>>45977445
This, potentially with frilly and decorative types for high elves, moving into rapier territory, while woodland elves get daggers, machetes, and small axes.
>>
>>45975995
Elfs aren't necessarily physical weaker than human.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.