[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Bug World V: Cute Bug Girl Edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 240
Thread images: 29
File: 1457335721634.png (102 KB, 1071x752) Image search: [Google]
1457335721634.png
102 KB, 1071x752
Bug World is as it says it is. A fantasy world of small arthropod species. Moth mages, Butterfly wizards, Stag Beetle warriors, Spider rangers and much more!

Last thread saw discussion of what arachnids should actually look like, scary mammal monster, maps, religion and fly alchemy! All ideas are welcome!
Just don't talk about humans

Help build Bug World!

Link to the current googledoc:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pAduIU7TDaKHvvaUfzRbgYj44TX_hApLeNeVu2d5bbM/edit?usp=sharing
>>
>All creatures that undergo metamorphosis are squeamish when it comes to their larvae, being a touchy subject to most the fact that they go through an often traumatizing transformation at their coming of age, but butterflies are perhaps the most extreme about this. Butterflies, being vain creatures, proud in their looks, regard their ugly young as a taboo. They're usually hidden from the public eye, loved and cared for, yet almost embarrassing to their parents (who'd protest this overzealousness as a form of 'protection' instead). Often, other arthropods that have known butterflies for life, don't even know what a young butterfly looks like.
>>
So, should we build a system for Bugworld? I think it would be a good idea, however others have thought to use other systems to run any potential games set in Bugworld.
>>
>>45968257
System building efforts are usually a mess. I'm not that against it, but I certainly would prefer it if it remained system agnostic for now. Usually this means you'd need a more generic system like FATE and GURPS since no other system would find it very easy to run this custom setting.
>>
>>45968257
Nig-nog no
We're already split with 10+ factions
We don't have much in the setting besides past heroes, a general description of each race, and very minor tidbits about religion
We need to buckle down, add no more shit, and get to work on world-building.
>>
>>45968678
I'd personally like to see some more bits about culture, how the different factions view the things that set them apart.
>>
>>45968678
We do need more domesticated creatures and the like. And more infos on faith and cultures. Ants ought to be easy at least. There are already basic outlines more multiple ant colonies based on different species.

Also, have Flytraps and other carnivorous plants been discussed yet?
>>
Mantis Shrimp should straight up be antagonists with an obsession for colors, especially red.
>>
>>45969200
I can imagine Wasp druids controlling giant venus flytraps. That would certainly look pretty villainous from a bug's point of view.
>>
>>45969422
>prey on wasps
>mind controlled
Wew
>>
>>45969534
Speaking of mind control, that should be a power of Emerald Jewel Wasps: monsters that even the genocidal Wasps fear and are plagued by the most, since they serve as their 'monster-you-could-be-turned-into' like vampires and lycanthropes for humans.
>>
>>45968385
I was about to suggest savage worlds since it as a system has a sort of "race building" instructions in the booklet. Adding extra arms and armor, sacrificing speed and charimsa. stuff like that.
>>
>>45969635
Carnivorous Plants should be antagonists, creatin a potent nectar, those that survive can often no longer function due to willingness of doing anything for another taste.
>>
I just realized that necromancers would not be reanimating regular skeletons, but exoskeletons (leachfolk excluded. They also probably have the weakest defense for that reason, don't they?).
And then the thought came that those could pass off as regular bugs until one realizes they are hollow.
>>
>>45969865
would a bug necromancer be able to reanimated a molted skin?
>>
>>45969865
>>45969923

We have discussed this before and the answer is yes
>>
frog and lizard should be the bad guy
>>
>>45971150
Frogs should be bullied by Imperial Scorpion Warriors.
>>
>>45971150
I believe that some frogs are tamed, but many would be wild
>>
>>45971190
>>45971246
I feel like the some frogs are mostly tamed by Scorpions, and used as mounts due to the symbolism.
>>
>page 10
wew
>>
An idea I had for spiders is that Brieta was a bard because the Portia genus likes to hunt other spiders by strumming the spider's web at the frequency of an injured bug. So some jumping spiders could be great string instrument players, only don't ask them to sing.
>>
>>45974750
That's a cool idea anon. Brieta the Bard, bringing wisdom to the Spiders.
>>
>>45969865
>>45969923
>>45970087
Back when creating the Miga/Flyfolk we discussed Fly Liches that were called Hollows because they were nothing more than hollow exoskeletons full of necromatic energy and possibly stuffed with padding or special ritual cloth.

We could call all bugworld Liches Hollows for that reason even
>>
Alright for teh evil Venomancer/Necromancer Recluses they have learned techniques to control their venom from outside their bodies, they can use to take control of dead exoskeletons by pumping the body full of their venom and essentially making it their blood. This is also effective because they corpses bleed venom that causes necrosis on the people who are fighting them
>>
>>45975645
The Venomancers are a deathcult of Recluses and other venomous species including other spider species, scorpions, centipedes, etc. Their god is a nameless god that manifests as a dark pool of boiling venom in their dreams, commanding them to spread the Gift of the Venom and Chaos throughout the world. Occasionally the King of Corpses and the Venomancers will work to a common dark goal but will inevitably turn to treachery against each other.

A good portion of Recluses shun their evil cousins and live in reclusive lives in dark forests as hermits and druids protecting the darkest hearts of the wild from those that would encroach and bring civilization where it has no right to be.
>>
>>45975819
I like this, also to add the view everything as survival of the fittest, and will devour anything that isn't a predator.
Also I really like Recluse Druids
>>
>>45975975
Eco-terrorist recluse spider druids. I like it
>>
>>45976052
Less eco-terrorist more leave me alone varying from Jolee Bindo helpfulness to Hulk/Shrek leave me the fuck alone
>>
I want Sir Jumpy Fliffkins to be a canon hero in the setting. A plucky young jumper spider inspired and trained by beetle knights to uphold justice and peace!
>>
>>45977479
I can imagine his group
>Grumpy scarred Beetle Knight mentor
>Scorpion warrior rival
>Quick talking Grasshopper best friend
>>
>>45978252
One of the thread openers actually showed him in a party with a Fly alchemist, a Leech Rogue, and a Moth Mage.

Jumpy Fliffkins was created by the drawfriend that did this threads opener art as well
>>
File: 1457657781151.png (371 KB, 1753x1362) Image search: [Google]
1457657781151.png
371 KB, 1753x1362
>>45978412
here it is
>>
File: Jumpy-and-Weaver.png (79 KB, 552x451) Image search: [Google]
Jumpy-and-Weaver.png
79 KB, 552x451
>>45977479
>people remembered his name.
>>45978482
>>45978412
>people remember this art.

You guys sure know how to make someone feel appreciated.

Any quick requests?
>>
>>45979338
Spider Bard with a web harp would be cool
>>
>>45979338
pseudoscorpion librarian, maybe hitching a ride on the shoulders of a mantis friend
>>
>>45979338
Beetle Knight on his glorious Weta mount
>>
File: Beetle-Trihander.png (45 KB, 1841x509) Image search: [Google]
Beetle-Trihander.png
45 KB, 1841x509
>>45979396
Sounds fun. I'm game. Plus it'll round out a trio of Spider classes seen here. >>45979338

>>45979432
How many races do we have?
I mean I just looked pseudoscorpions up and they look cute. so i'll give it a try.

>>45979584
Might take the longest of the three but i'm game. I still gotta sort out how to draw the beetle knights and beetle characters in general. I've seen so much kick ass art of the exact thing that I also want to sort out what styling there could be with beetle knights.

Otherwise have this quick sketch of a Beetle Weapon.
>>
>>45979770
Too many, but we have somewhat fleshed out all of them to a basic what are they, the idea with Pseudoscorpions is that they are the scholars of the world, mostly because real world ones eat book worms and things that like to eat books. So librarians think they are the shit
>>
Guys, have we talked about Acanthaspis petax? It's a bug that collects dead ant bodies that it killed to confuse predators, and I think it would make a really cool necromancer/lich/feral beast that terrorizes the ants.
>>
>>45980335
Some people have been talking about assassin bugs, that they are ninjas and mostly have communities hidden away, also may or may not be related to stick bugs
>>
>>45979432
>>45979396
Whoops. I accidentally combined these two.
>>
>>45980397
we need a gallery of those art,
can i have a french aristocrat termite (like a rennaissance architecte)
anyway i appreciate your job ^^
>>
>>45980397
Glorious!

You never disappoint, friendo.
>>
>>45980645
I post stuff to my tumblr whenever i have the chance. But having like a separate gallery for not just my art, but all bugfolk related reference pieces would be the coolest.

Otherwise yeah I can give that a shot. Still have the beetle knight and his steed to do.
>>
File: Bug Designs Smaller .jpg (197 KB, 1535x564) Image search: [Google]
Bug Designs Smaller .jpg
197 KB, 1535x564
Posting art I made before
>>
So we had in the previous thread a hornet character.

What did you think of him?
>>
>>45980397
That pseudoscorpion is a cute.

>>45982393
He was pretty cool, a noble warrior to constrast the savage wasps, and to show despite the bee/hornet rivalry, they can both be good guys. It adds a fun element for kingdom relations.

So I think we should focus on a historical timeline of the world. Actually, how would they measure time? Since they are human sized in an oversized world, do they live for years? Would they measure time by years?
>>
>>45982575
I think so.

Since they are human-sized, and everything big and with specific biology (with certain exceptions) is bound to have longer lifespans measured in years.
>>
Also why is it so slow today?
>>
>>45983806
Lots of people asleep maybe? I'm trying to figure out stat modifiers for each race.

Would Hornets have +1 power, or 0 modifiers there.? I'm also thinking they should have +3 in speed to to being a flying race.
>>
>>45983875
I was thinking about size classes a while ago and how would they affect some arthros.

Large ones would be slow, but powerful, yet smaller ones would be fast at the cost of smaller physical strength.
>>
>>45983898
Hornets could be standard (+0) size, while bees and moths could be a bit smaller (-1), which likely justifies negative modifiers for them. Though they'd also have speed modifiers for flying, and I think they'd have better essence too.
>>
Should races that usually work in Hives/Colonies get a +1 modifier in Mind? I imagine a Hive Mind might be beneficial in that department.
>>
>>45983875
>>45983898
>>45983944
I agree

>>45984068
I don't think so. They rely on working with others to solve problems,meaning they may get a minus to Mind, as they are not used to solving problems without others in their colony nearby to help them.
>>
>>45984114
So +1 to Mind within their Hives/Colonies (theirs specifically) and -1 outside of it?

Also, pretty sure Grasshoppers and Locusts would be the exception to smaller races having more speed. I think they would be pretty fast.
>>
File: Img_1735.jpg (124 KB, 1024x651) Image search: [Google]
Img_1735.jpg
124 KB, 1024x651
I think I found Brieta the Wise.
>>
>>45984174
That sounds about right
>>
Is there some attribute that can determine modifiers for Essence, or do we just go with a case-by-case basis?
>>
>>45984745
Mind would do.

If you have high mind and essence, then you know more spells and hit harder with them.
>>
>>45984745
I would imagine Moths, Bees and Butterflies would have a bonus to Essense, as they have been established as apt magic users
>>
Rolled 794, 303, 345, 833, 566, 538, 134, 763, 116, 734, 307, 829, 636, 792, 511, 161, 703, 230, 780, 554, 247, 263, 633, 37, 337 = 12146 (25d888)

Test
>>
>>45985304
You passed the test.
>>
>>45985327
Indeed
>>
I'll start giving some racial modifiers. If anyone has objections or ideas, let me know.

>Hornet
Power: +0
Speed: +0, +3 in flight
Size: +0
Mind: +1 in Hive, -1 outside of Hive
Essence: +0

>Bee
Power: -1
Speed: +0, +3 in flight
Size: -1
Mind: +1 in Hive, -1 outside of Hive
Essence: +2

>Moth
Speed: +0, +2 in flight
Mind: +0
Essence: +3

>Butterfly
Mind: +1
Essence: +2
>>
>>45987367
I'm fine with this.
>>
>>45987367
Looking good.
>>
>Ant
Power: +1
Speed: +0
Mind: +1 in Colony, -1 outside of Colony

Gave them more power due to being workers and laborers usually.

>Termite
Mind: +2 in Colony, -1 outside of Colony

>Grasshoppers
Size: +1
Speed: +3 (on ground and in flight)
Essence: -1

>Locusts
Speed: +2, +4 in flight
Mind: +0, -1 in Swarm
>>
>>45987367
>>45987403
>>45987443
I was thinking about classes.

Somebody wants me to fluff out one?
>>
>>45987541
>>45987367
I feel like Bees should have more severe mind penalties when out of the hive than ants.
Also, Bees would probably be a Theocratic society, while Ants would just be a Monarchy.
>>
>>45987543
We have classes listed in the doc. I was thinking of possibly folding some into others, just because they were similar.

Does anyone think Class Trees are a good idea?
>>
>Cicadas
Speed: +1, +3 in flight
Essence: +1

>Beetle
Power: +3
Speed: -2

>Leechfolk
Speed: -4, +2 in water

>Roach
Power: +2
Speed: +2

>>45987642
Alright. Bee penalty to Mind outside the Hive will be changed to -2.
>>
>>45987687
Well we have the Hunter and his two special classes. The Strider and The Sharpshooter.

The Hunter is balanced, while The Strider is a melee oriented not!Ninja version of him and The Sharpshooter is a sniper version.

We'd do stuff like D&D Prestige Classes.
>>
>Fly
Speed: +1, +3 in flight

>Mantis

>Scorpion
Power: +4
Speed: -3
Size: +2

The essence is due to the glow.

>Spider
Speed: +1
Size: ~ (not sure if a size has been agreed on. Is it small like in the drawings? Will readjust power if so.)

going to eat. brb.
>>
>>45987917
Spider depends on what type. Jumping is small like the pics, black widows are normal, and tarantulas and large weavers are big like a beetle

>Assassin bug
Power: -1 (+2 when sneak attack)
Speed: -2 (+1 when sneaking)
Size: 0
Mind: 1 (Always alert)
Essence: -3
>>
>>45987917
Well i would like that there are two sizes, Tarantulas and regular jumping spiders so either really big or regular size/slightly bigger then other arthos
>>
>>45988121
Alright thanks. I'll just make four separate ones for them.

>Spider (jumping)
Power: -2
Speed: +3
Size: -2
Mind: +2

>Spider (black widow)
Speed: -1

>Spider (tarantula)
Power: +3
Mind: -1

>Spider (weaver)
>>
>>45987917
I feel like flies, as drivers of industry and alchemy, would have a bonus to Mind, as they are supposed to be clever little shits
>>
Last ones for player races since someone else already did Assassin Bugs.

>Crabs
Power: +2 (+1 for each size modifier)
Size: variable. player choice.
Mind: +0 (-1 for each size modifier)

>Shrimp
Power: -2
Speed: +0, +4 in water
Size: -2

>Centipede
Size: +3

>Stick Bug

>Pseudo Scorpion
Mind: +3

If anyone has a different idea or wants to modify those, feel free to do so. I'm not the authority on any of this, I just wanted to give it a try.

>>45988436
Sure thing. +1 Mind to flies.
>>
>>45982575
>do they live for years? Would they measure time by years?
I'd think they would live on a yearly basis. But a lot of bug life cycles are tied to seasons aren't they? Butterflies, Cicadas, Bees I think too. So maybe it might be interesting if there were year long seasons or something. The Spring Year, The Summer Year, The Fall Year, the Winter Year.

A bug that's 4 years old lived through four seasons.
>>
>>45988957
>But a lot of bug life cycles are tied to seasons aren't they?

>A bug that's 4 years old lived through four seasons.

They'd be quite old with such a time measurement system.

I like it.
>>
>>45987913
shit actually there was this image floating around on /tg/ that I thought would be a perfect way of looking at bug classes.

It had little octopus "starter" classes that went in two different directions depending on things you'd like mostly 'do'

Royal Assassin <=Murder= Rogue =Theft=> Master Thief

as a weird example.
>>
File: exoskeleton.jpg (104 KB, 1024x683) Image search: [Google]
exoskeleton.jpg
104 KB, 1024x683
>>45969865
>And then the thought came that those could pass off as regular bugs until one realizes they are hollow.
It wouldn't take long.
>>
>>45989094
Sounds neat and logical.
You wouldn't expect a mage that threw more fireballs than buffing to become and enchanter instead of a warlock.
>>
>>45967931
I'd like to nitpick what is probably a design concession made purely for aesthetic purposes.
The "hands" (Or rather feet but I don't know if you can really refer to a Tarsus as any appendage) of a mantis are located near the ends of those claws.
So the illustration provided is roughly like if I had hands on the outsides of my elbows (Can't really compare human anatomy to insect anatomy but I'm just going to do that anyway).
My autism having been satisfied I can now browse this thread.
>>
>>45989094
I like this so it would be like
Paladin<= Serving Individuals = Warrior = Serving Groups => Legionnaire
>>
>>45989166
Yeah, the hair would fall off in short order, and the eyes would be missing.

But that's the bottom of the spider with the bottom pried off. An animated spider skeleton would be far more similar to a regular spider then a human version.
>>
>>45989378
Yeah one issue I'm having is what art is 'canon'

Are the bugs supposed to be human-like, walk on two or four legs and have the rest as arms or are they supposed to be like >>45979338 where its just a spider in a hat?
>>
>>45990004
This has my vote. The cute art is great, but with regards to what constitutes 'canon' art, I think it most accurately captures the feel the setting goes for.
>>45981311
>>
File: TheLouseLautrec.png (86 KB, 490x475) Image search: [Google]
TheLouseLautrec.png
86 KB, 490x475
>>45989378
I put the hands roughly in a fashion that references the whole praying thing. I know the hands/tarsus are at the end of their spiney claws. I just felt if i put them at the end you'd loose a bit of the whole praying mantis arm sillohette

Though that said i should honestly try that. If only to get an idea.

thanks anon.

>>45980645
Here's your termite. I'm gonna work on the Beetle mount now.
>>
File: Vierhander.png (1 KB, 173x524) Image search: [Google]
Vierhander.png
1 KB, 173x524
Here's a shitty MS paint concept I made.
The idea is that big swords in bugworld would rely less on a cutting edge, and more on just weight.
This here would be held with two arms on one side supporting from the bottom and top, with a third hand on the opposite side creating a fulcrum in the center, so that one could swing the dull "blade" hard enough to crack an exoskeleton.
The spot between the two quillions would be for a fourth hand, making it easier to use the "pick" on the very tip of the weapon.
>>
>>45990973
>I say, the construction is coming up fine and dandy. We'll be all finished before winter...Now I do wonder how are those chaps I hired to take care of that Thorn Dragon. Maybe they have a good time down there?

<Meanwhile underground, in the Thorn Dragon's Lair>

>I SWEAR I'LL STING THAT BASTARD TERMITE IN THE ABDOMEN SO HARD HE AND HIS OFFSPRING WILL NEVER SIT EVER AGAIN!!! (hornet is stabbing Thorn Dragon in the pawn)
>BE LUCKY YA A HORNET AND NO ANT...WAAAAAH!!! (gets grabbed by Thorn Dragon's tongue)
>JUST DO YOUR JOB, ALRIGHT!!? (beetle knight stabs Thorny Dragon in the jaw with his great-sword)
>Well good thing I took some additional medical equipment. (ant gets spit out and lands smashing into the ground breaking nearly everything in its exoskeleton) Awwww don't worry. This moth cleric knows the right treatments for yow wittle boo boo (starts attaching plasters and casts healing magic).
>>
>>45991329
That would make it a devastating anti-beetle/crab weapon.
>>
>>45990973
thanks you anon^^
>>
>>45991438
I figured either beetles themselves or whoever it is that were up against beetles the most would carry these.
>>
>>45991877
Yeah, that Four-Hander does look beetle-ish.
>>
>>45991329
This is amazing, anon. I really dig it, and I need more weapons that have the inherent differences of arthropods in mind.
>>
File: ChitinShillelagh.png (1 KB, 111x321) Image search: [Google]
ChitinShillelagh.png
1 KB, 111x321
>>45992150
Another idea, since metal would be pretty expensive considering how hard it would be for bugs to work with, let alone obtain, weapons molded from bone or chitin would probably be more common in the hands of poorer folk looking to protect themselves.
This shillelagh would've been made from the "antler" of a stag beetle. It's thick enough to do a decent job cracking "skulls", and the hook on the opposite side would be able to grab into natural armor plates ("dragon" scales, beetle carapace) and presumably yank them off.
>>
>>45992617
Brutal. I love it.
>>
>>45992150
Today I was thinking about that and along these kind of ideas.

>Large syringe like weapons that draw fluids out or inject toxins in
>Leg and foot based ankle hammers for grasshoppers that want to axe kick shells to bits
>Mechanical pincer claws for lopping off specific limbs
>4-handed great hammers
>Bug-portable hand-gonnes that can be much larger since bugs with extra limbs can brace themselves better
>Hand-pumped acid/corrosive chemical throwers
>Bee abdomen sting covers that allow different spear tip mounts or for the crazy ones, pole cannons
>Fragile chemical orbs that can be thrown or dropped by flyers
>Spiderweb string throwers for making quick-entangling defences
>>
File: BangStick.png (1001 B, 97x441) Image search: [Google]
BangStick.png
1001 B, 97x441
>>45992685
Just had another idea thanks to the asshole kid who put a dent in my hood with his lacrosse stick
In line with>>45992791 's idea of alchemical explosive devices dropped by flyers, devices like these would be used by ground troops to fling such devices much harder and faster than just throwing it by hand
>>
>>45994162
You need to thank that brat for this weapon idea.

Brutally loving and useful this stick is.
>>
File: image.jpg (19 KB, 580x348) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
19 KB, 580x348
>>45992791
>Assassin bugs already have the first weapon naturally
Literally master race
>>
File: Ravine Trapdoor Spider.jpg (47 KB, 560x434) Image search: [Google]
Ravine Trapdoor Spider.jpg
47 KB, 560x434
>>45994420
They should however avoid trapdoors.

The Corpse King is known as a god of assassins because he was paranoid about trapdoors.
>>
These weapon ideas are amazing. And brutal. Brutally amazing.

Good work anons
>>
File: hirudo.png (80 KB, 785x954) Image search: [Google]
hirudo.png
80 KB, 785x954
Oh I forgot one of my favorite parts about the Leechfolk we had come up for them originally.

A leechfolks body is practically a single giant throat and lung, giving them great control over their breathing. This allows them to stay submerged for long periods of time, upwards of an hour or more if they don't exert themselves. A leech also has the natural ability to inhale a large amount of air and release it as a close range sonic attack capable of breaking chitin and crumpling metal. This leaves the leech winded and nearly exhausted afterwards, requiring them to rest before attempting the attack once more.

Incidentally this makes them great singers, some leeches gaining fame as opera singers and bards.
>>
>>45996734
The leeches also instantly die to Sodium.
>>
>>45996761
That's Slugs. Salt just makes the leeches itchy.

I actually don't think leeches are affected by salt, I mean I know there are marine leeches that thrive in salt water
>>
>>45996803
Pretty sure they get their shit fucked up by salt
>>
>>45996936
Your point?
>>
>>45996986
Leeches instantly die from sodium
>>
>>45997029
Is this a game to you
>>
>>45997058
Well I mean we're making it a roleplaying game so yeah
>>
>>45996734
I'm really not comfortable with leeches having arms. We're not changing any other of the arthropods in terms of anatomy.
>>
>>45997099
Then we might as well just delete the leeches
>>
>>45997134
>>45997099
Dangit, we had that same argument back when we created the hirudo leeches.

Just say that the Leeches were bred by the Trilobites similar to the Manowars and other creations. Their super sense of taste could've been a desirable trait for the Trilobites to breed into a servile race, same with arms for tool manipulation
>>
>>45997134
I am not against this. I wouldn't mind preserving them either, their arms just make no sense.

>>45997252
And this answer really reaches. I'm aware they existed before the bug world threads, this just makes them feel forced.
>>
multiple leeches working in tandem to form a body?

or maybe leeches use some sort of serf creature to function as their arms and legs/carrier?
>>
>>45997795
evolved fronds with rudimentary grip? - i'm really reaching as to why they'd have arms
>>
>>45997639
It's a fantasy world right? The Leeches can have arms. Or do we need to set up a strawpoll?
>>
>>45997795
Now it's stealing from the slug idea from earlier.
>>
>>45997852
good fantasy has congruence
bad fantasy has "lol its fantasy!!"

Not only do they stick out as having arms bolted on but they're also the only race without an exoskeleton immediately putting them apart from everything else
>>
>>45997639
Leeches stay, why would we delete? I don't mind them having arms. There are leeches irl that have what look like the beginning of limbs in the form of flangella.

If arms are too unbelievable for a world of intelligent magic bugs maybe their "foot" has developed into a sophisticatedgrasper.

Problem is, no arms means no playable leechfolk
>>
>>45997823
>i'm really reaching as to why they'd have arms
Then don't give them any. Magic exists, so do other creatures. At the most mundane they might be sapient creatures, that unfortunately have not evolved manipulators. They might be able to convince others to help them. This effectively makes them NPCs.

At their most magical, they employ a weak, short ranged telekinesis that gives them control over their surroundings, how effective it is I'm leaving open. Perhaps they might even concentrate enough to do harm with this. Again, open-ended.

This all basically ignores that most other arthropods still have a connection to how they, in real life, would feed themselves. Leeches are opportunistic creatures that benefit most from clinging onto large animals, this is hard to reconcile with Bug World's scale, where most large animals are incredibly dangerous boss monsters. Some modification here would probably be alright, I don't think spiders eat flies, as an example.

As they stand leeches are just plain forced wherever you look, a standalone idea being shoehorned into a world where they just don't belong. They should be conceived like every other bug was, taking them from what they are in our world, not from what they were in another set of threads.
>>
>>45998064
I step away for a few minutes and come back to the leeches being wiped out.

I had no idea people disliked them this much. If people want I guess we can remove them completely or knock them down to npcs status. I had thought people were okay with them.
>>
>>45998216
Don't exaggerate- I don't want them gone, I want them to be consistent with everything else. Leeches can stay, the hirudo cannot.
>>
Hey I wanted to use this setting as a potential D&D campaign. I took some races and gave them crunch. Thoughts?

Stingers (5.5)
You have flying speed of 50 feet (4.5)
you must be in a space wide enough to accomadate your wingspan to fly. Your wingspan is equal to twice your height.
Your dexterity increases by 2 (1)
Bees
You have -1 vulnerability to cold damage (-1)
You know the firebolt cantrip. When you reach 3rd level you can cast the firebolt spell once per day. When you reach 5th level you can also cast the firebolt spell once per day. Wisdom is your spellcasting ability for these spells (1)
Hornets
You have -1 vulnerability to fire damage (-1)
You know the True Strike cantrip. When you reach 3rd level you can cast the truestrike spell once per day. When you reach 5th level you can also cast the truestrike spell once per day. Wisdom is you spellcasting ability for these spells
>>
>>45994864
I am not squearmish about bugs in any way or form, I live in a house filled with spiders, I have a motherfucking black widow in my window right now, and that thing is scary to even look at.
I propose them to be demons.
>>
>>45991329
I strongly dislike the idea of swords being weight based weapons because that makes no sense combat wise.
Also I imagine that slashing weapons are less popular because most combat is between beings with exoskeletons so I imagine Hammers and other weapons with either piecing or blunt damage would be more popular.
>>
>>45998064
Now, to be fair, the only reason they feel forced is because they haven't been worked on pretty much at all compared to the other races, and unlike the fly race, we're just using what has been created before.
IMO leeches should get arms, so they can be playable. And if we want to get into anatomy, all the other races are just blown up bipedal versions of their Earth counterparts, meaning they'd most likely be permanently crippled due to their broken legs being unable to support their weight. Is it really too much to give leeches arms?
>>
>>45991329
Isn't that just a glorified club?

>>45999473
>I strongly dislike the idea of swords being weight based weapons because that makes no sense combat wise.
It _is_ a fantasy setting anon. It's okay to take some liberties, I doubt the setting was going for realism after all.
>>
>>45999491
Arms really are too much, I feel. They're just there to bring back concepts created for another setting. I don't know why a lack of them would make them unplayable, it wouldn't necessarily. If they wielded magic they could make do, albeit with a noticeable limitation. Is it really too much to create them from scratch, like every other race?
>>
>>45999598
Eh fair enough, but it is one thing that annoys me.
[spoilers]mostly because then idiots think that real swords weigh a ton and are blunt[/spoilers]

Those weapons do look really cool though
>>
>>45999625
I apologize, but I can't really answer your questions without simply deflecting them, since I can't come up with an answer that seems satisfactory. The only thing I can say is that I think this may just be case of personal opinion, I feel like they're okay, you feel they don't, and we both don't know how the majority feels about them.

Also:
>Is it really too much to create them from scratch, like every other race?
You're a bit wrong on that one, Moths are retooled Mothfolk, and Butterflies are semi-original semi-retooled Farapidaans

>>45999890
ctrl+s anon
>>
>>45999943
>You're a bit wrong on that one, Moths are retooled Mothfolk, and Butterflies are semi-original semi-retooled Farapidaans
I think it's a testament to them actually fitting into the setting, that I didn't notice at all. Although looking back, the moth art should have clued me in.

That is one of the things that keeps me from being alright with current leeches. They don't feel like Bug World creatures at all. You can see miles apart they're the copy-pasted hirudo.
>>
Guys, is it really that big of a deal that the leeches have arms? I mean, really? It's a goddamn fantasy setting, not everything needs to be a scaled up model of real life. Just let the leeches be! They are supposed to be swampy healer folk.

>>45999890
As for swords, if you read the doc, we already agreed that blunt weapons are way more common. Slashing weapons and polearms are designed to damage armor, joints, and in the case of Beetles and other big tough Arthros, just use the heft and user's strength to cut through some fuckers
>>
>>46000049
Maybe flash out the Leechfolk so that the swamp they live in, it is a necessity to be a selfless healer, if you are not the entire tribe dies from the diseases and toxins in the swamps. It is suicide for any group to enter the swamps without a Leech aswell
>>
>>46000049
Well, can't we change them from the regular hirudo but keep the arms?
I'm not sure what the original Hirudo were like, but we could make the herders or farmers in addition to healers, moving giant swamp-livestock so they can feed on their blood and survive. They're still parasites that way, technically.
>>
>>46000514
We have them doing that with frogs and horeshoe crabs
>>
>>46000330
I like this idea. Big dangerous toxic swamps full of feral "vampiric" mosquitoes and other toxic creatures and infections.

>>46000514
They kinda already are herders. They have giant toads and maybe some giant salamanders in the swamps and the coastal ones herd giant horseshoe crabs for their medicinal blood and house-sized shells. They'd probably be close traders or even live in Crab communities on the shorelines

>>46000115
I still vote for them to have arms.
>>
Leeches can also have a few vampiric abilities, like to hypnotize creatures, hence why they have an easier time domesticating other animals
>>
File: Beetle-On-weta.png (94 KB, 1177x863) Image search: [Google]
Beetle-On-weta.png
94 KB, 1177x863
So I finally got around to doing this.

I'd like to go on record as saying, "wetas are weird/hard to draw."

So sorry if its rough.
>>
>>45999473
Certain swords really were though, or at least relied on their weight to help with the cutting thing. Claymores and Zweihanders come to mind.
>>
File: bug-bros.png (92 KB, 959x671) Image search: [Google]
bug-bros.png
92 KB, 959x671
One more drawing before I go to bed
>>
>>45998825
Sure. Why not?

>>45999175
Nothing wrong with it.

But some nobles do hire Trapdoor Spiders to keep Assassin Bugs away.

And the spiders rarely fail, though their services are expensive.

>>46003946
>>46004542
Sweet.
>>
>>45968232
I just wanted to say how much I love this idea. Perhaps, to reflect the difference between the cultures, the moths should make Chrysalis a highly ritualised, public event? Kinda similar to Coming of Age Day in Japan, except it lasts for weeks.
I like the idea of all the parents boozing up, reminiscing about how cute their little inchworm young used to be, how they are about to leave the nest and so on, while their children are trapped in isolated cocoons undergoing what will probably be one of the most stressful experiences of their life.

Perhaps the moth religion believes that in the isolated cocoon state you receive visions of your designated role/profession when you emerge, making the chrysalis almost a kind of meditation chamber?
>>
Decided to flesh out a more recent ocean community:

The Snapping Shrimp
Far below the surface, nestled among the ruins of a once great empire, live the Snapping Shrimp. Snappers, as they are colloquially known, are easily identified by the possession of one disproportionately large claw. In the oceans, they help serve as a communication service, where immense 'clacking hubs' transmit messages to wanderers that pass the complex claw telegraphs on to the next one.
This allows information to be dispersed quickly and easily, for a price. For intercontinental information transmission, no service is as fast, or as reliable, though the additional premium for surface to surface transmission generally detracts all but the most wealthy customers.
Culturally, snappers are unbelievably paranoid. Seen as unduly so by many other races, the
snappers insist that this is merely due to other's lack of experience. An oral history has been preserved that extends back to the height of the twin empires, and speaks at great length about the monstrosities that their wars birthed. The shrimp have always lived underfoot of giants, and this shows. Many of their settlements, even now, are
built on old trilobite and ammonite forts, and every now and then more jumpy members of the
race claim that forgotten creations from that dark past rise from the depths to greet them.

Snapper adventurers are rare, and almost all are 'lefties', indicating a loss of their first claw in some violent incident. Such an individual is considered to be a liability by the rest of the group, and is frequently ostracised. Whether bravery or foolishness caused the injury, it has no place in snapper society. Many of these continue to serve, becoming the wanderers that transmit through the dark zones where snappers lack clacking hubs, but
some reject their society just as firmly as it rejects them, and wander the ocean alone.
These 'pistol shrimps' travel across the ocean, searching for a new purpose.
>>
>>46005560
May very well add pistol shrimps as local pirates.
>>
>>45981311
I want to see your interpretation of the leechfolk PR. Maybe even be the decider on the hot issues of leeches with or without arms since this is your pet project
>>
>>46005387
This sounds good, I like it!
In some cults or families they could also try to induce the visions by having the larvae eat some specific types of plants just before forming the cocoon, or in some other way.
>>
File: Bug Comic Script.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Bug Comic Script.pdf
1 B, 486x500
Posting the draft comic script I played around with today.

Featuring the exploits of Recordmaster Brevil in his early years.

>>46006612
Working on it, I'm leaning towards the idea of frontal tentacle fronds that serve as crude arms since as a race they're interesting and it'd be a shame to just chuck them.
>>
We need to work on religions for the races.

Would the dual gods of the previous fly folk work for the current ones?

A goddess of decay and rebirth and her brother that is the god of parasitism and pestilence
>>
>>46009730
I thought once of a god originator for the world.

Someone ridiculously alien and eldritch yet neutral. Someone who's older than the Trilobites and Ammonites.
>>
>>46009667
PR that is awesome. I can't wait to see it!

>>46009730
We have the outlines for some faiths in the doc. Last thread I had suggested that the Beetle faith, the Horned Father and Shelled Mother, could be expanded by having a First X, where X is a particular beetle species. So there would be the First Scarab, First Goliath, First Stag, etc. The great heroes of Beetlekind could be seen as touched by their respective Firstborn.
>>
>>46009667
Especially since it's a very vocal verysmall minority of people wanting to do away with them since arms are too unbelievable
>>
>>46010657
Yeah that argument was stupid. In a world filled with giant civilized bugs with opposable thumbs on a lot of them, as well as magic and dragons, you'd think people would be able to suspend their disbelief enough to not care if giant leaches had arms.
>>
Scorpion-boxing. Leather gloves covering their pincers and stinger
>>
>>46012336
Yes
>>
>>46012336
We need more bug sports. You just knowthat the beetles hhave sumo wrestling and boulder/dung rolling
>>
>>46016308
>fly airborne roller derby
>mosquito fencing
>slug bog snorkling
>competitive tree felling
>a weird button pressing, knot untangling memory challenge that spiders enjoy
>>
>>46016308
Martial Arts Tournaments.

Arthros from all over the world come and present their fighting styles on the arena and engage in awesome combat. Of course in their own weight categories.
>>
>>46016308
weta racing
cricket/locust long/high jump
flea fights like cockfighting
>>
>>46017285
I wonder if Mantis Shrimps are banned due to unfair advantages and greater martial arts presence in their culture.

Or maybe they invite one to act as judge/commentary instead.
>>
>>46016308
Hornet Gladiatorial Games
>>
>>46017379
I think they'd find a way in. As long as they wear plushie gloves.
>>
>>46017410
without a water medium they're severely underpowered
>>
>>46017431
Hmmm.

Actually no.

If a human had the same capabilities like a mantis shrimp, but without water hindering them and the mantis shrimp capabilities scaled to human size, then we have something that would make Mortal Kombat look like Virtua Fighter in terms of realism.
>>
So, bringing up the idea from last thread about a resolution mechanic.

(Relevant Stat + Relevant Skill?) - Difficulty Rating = xd6 to roll

Success on a 3+, Target number is x successes needed.

Do we want a skill list? Or make it so that skills are freeform?

Or no skill system at all, or make it like 5e, where being proficient gives you a flat bonus? If it's the latter, Proficiency could mean +Level in dice to roll for the test?
>>
>>46017510
But I though cavation bubbles only work through a liquid
>>
>>46017745
Well they do work only underwater.

But seriously, these guys would come out on land from time to time.

And on land is where they become horribly OP.
>>
>>46017745
The cavation bubbles are only part of the problem. A primed and angry Mantis Shrimp can still throw a punch at up to 23 metres per second , and 12 m/s when they aren't putting in effort (for comparison, professional human boxers are in the 11-14 m/s range).

It does bring up the question of gills though - is not being able to breathe on land/water going to be hand waved, incorporated into some kind of device (sounds like something the Trilobites might have invented with all their biomorph tech, sound kind of terra lung), or is the separation of the marine and terrestrial realms a plot point in itself?
>>
>>46018047
I believe we had originally made it so that sea and land were desperate, with the sea dominated by shrimp and crabs, who form their own underwater villages. Crabs were sometimes seen living on land, as coastal villages. The bigger varieties were less inteligent, and often used as labor or Siege engines
>>
>>46018047
I think for the sake of sense and simplicity just have the issue of breathing handwaved as situational device use like a terralung providing about an hour on land or larger devices allowing longer times on land.

Crabs manage to wander around the land for prolonged periods of time to trade with coastal villages despite being primarily aquatic so I guess they can have these devices too.

Or just handwave the entire issue and just have the separation as a cultural and environmental preference. I can't imagine shrimp being all too happy about how weighty and heavy they feel on land anyway
>>
>>46018047
If we're just going to have them as commentators, the announcer's box could just be flooded and they could use magic to amplify/transmit their voice. As contestants, I dunno, trilobite reverse-scuba, maybe?
>>
>>45967931
> Ctrl+F: White Mantis
> 0 Results

Shame on you /tg/ !
>>
>>45989457
Actually, that is the top of the spider's molt. The "backpiece" pops open and then they squirm out of it like out of a tank
>>
File: G-smithii-display.jpg (281 KB, 1000x714) Image search: [Google]
G-smithii-display.jpg
281 KB, 1000x714
>>46018208
On the topic of Mantis shrimp...
1/2

The young shrimp lowered his eye stalks and spread his spears wide, placing the meat at his feet.
The old master had placed his worn clubs on the edge of his burrow, an indication that he
was listening, conscious. The old master had not accepted students for many years, and the
young shrimp had walked many miles, and into much shallower water than he was used to, to
get there. The water here was clearer, redder, the glimmer of sunlight stunning his eyes.
He twisted his stalks uncomfortably, trying to filter out the glare, but he hadn't quite
mastered the skill yet.
"Master, I come to learn. I bring you food as an offering for tutelage. Though meagre, I
give what I can."
The clubs thumped once upon the sand, and a deep voice boomed from the burrow. "You come
with meat? Do you mean to insult me, child? To imply I cannot feast with my own body?
Am I so feeble?"
"N... No M-master I did not mean to imply..."
"And yet you did. Leave, and never return." The voice was firm. The club thumped once more,
and then retreated into the burrow. The master was no longer receiving audiences.

The young shrimp returned to his makeshift burrow that evening. He stared long and hard at
the sky, so much closer than back home, and focused on his eyes. The eyes were always the
key. What had he observed today? The club had thumped once. The glare had distracted him
at the time, but the sand had shifted, making grooves in the bed. The master had seen him,
even if he had not seen the master. He had evaluated the meat brought before him.
>>
>>46019211
The next day, empty handed, the young shrimp approached the burrow. The old master had
returned to the edge of his burrow, his clubs resting on the sand. The young shrimp
lowered his eye stalks and spread his spears wide.
"Master, I come to learn. I bring you nothing. You are powerful, and can take what you
desire for yourself. You do not need my assistance. I ask for your tutelage."
The clubs thumped twice upon the sand, and the deep voice burst anew from the burrow. "You
bring nothing, and yet you expect me to give you everything? What new insolence is this?
Is this what you think my training worth?"
"Not at all master, your training is highly prized."
"Then you have not won this prize. Leave, and never return." The club thumped twice, and
they once more retreated to the burrow.

That evening, the young shrimp looked at his hands. The hands were always the key. They
had been empty, and they were weak. The master's clubs were powerful, he was well trained,
and they were unlike his sharp spears.

The third day, the young shrimp approached the burrow. The old master had once more
returned his clubs to the burrow edge. The young shrimp lowered his eye stalks and spread
his spears wide.
"Master, I bring you all that I can. Not gifts of food, and no riches. I bring myself, whole
and willing. Shape and guide me how you wish. Master, you have power and strength, and I
cannot give you things of material value. But I can bring the only thing that matters. I
desire to learn, and nothing more."
The clubs thumped thrice. "It has been a long time since I took a pupil." Two stalks emerged
from the burrow, and a flash of ultraviolet shimmered across the young shrimp's vision, as
he opened his clubs in greeting, before turning his entire body back towards the burrow.
"Come inside. You have much to learn. We begin immediately."
>>
>>45969267
Mantis Shrimp are akin to Storm Giants. Even if they don't physically tower over PCs, their raw strength and magical aptitude (especially for divination) make them terrifying, even without malice.
>>
>>46018881
Seriously, I really like this pic, but the mammaries make as much sense on a anthropomorphic mantis as the ones on XCOM 2's Viper.

At least there they were fluffed out as venom glads.

I'm not joking with that part.

>>46019211
>>46019234
And then there was Mantis Shrimp Bruce Lee.

I like it.
>>
>>46019560
Remember, that's just concept art. They don't have tits.
>>
>>46019793
I know, I know.

This setting is more realistic while still having some suspension of disbelief.
>>
>>45989166
It's polite for spiderfolk to tip their hats; the ritual goes back to an ancient necromancer's attempt to besiege their communities.
>>
Have we given any thought to music and instruments beyond the spiders having harps and other stringed instruments?

I think someone mentioned Leeches being good singers with their giant lungs, they might be good with woodwind instruments too
>>
>>46021471
How about to when Brieta was assassinated, they tip their ahts to prove they are living, and hate all kinds of necromancer, in that way they are the race that is most reverent of life.
>>
File: Muga-Magic.png (147 KB, 1231x659) Image search: [Google]
Muga-Magic.png
147 KB, 1231x659
>>46009667
Now this is a good script. I like this. I might crack out a quick line up of the party members now.

Pic semi related. A Journey to the West inspired party I drew up back in the Leech folk threads.

Muga=Tripitaka
Mosquito=Monkey King
Hirduo=Pigsy
And a Suncrazed Moth=Fish guy...

Probably not the best matches but they were the races we were working with back then.
>>
File: Brevil.png (34 KB, 292x356) Image search: [Google]
Brevil.png
34 KB, 292x356
A quick pic of Brevil

any changes i should make?
>>
File: 61.jpg (95 KB, 600x532) Image search: [Google]
61.jpg
95 KB, 600x532
An idea for the final goal of the Corpse King or The Venomancers is to revive the ancient corpse of an Arthropleura.
The ironic thing is that they are not some giant world destroying monster, but more akin to a gentle giant
>>
>>45990973
Aren't Termites blind? How would they draw up blueprints?
>>
>>46027441
termite braille?
>>
File: 103405737.jpg (74 KB, 506x337) Image search: [Google]
103405737.jpg
74 KB, 506x337
>>
>>46027441
>>46028349
I thought it was only soldiers who were blind.

Anyway, same thing as the Leeches having arms. The power of Handwavium
>>
>>46029519
We could make it that they simply have bad eyesight.
>>
>>46027441
they smell the ink
>>
>>46029611
yep termite with glasses
>>
>>46029611
That would be cool
>>
>>46029842
>>46029858
Look at this the other side.

Glasses would be a standard trading good in termite mounds.
>>
>>46029842
>>46029858
>>46030389
Also would add why termites prefer to use actual cannons or their natural back-mounted organic cannon.

In order to hit someone at range, they'd extensively use weapons (and by that extent, spells) with large blast radius.
>>
>>46030436
The best cannon makers are also the best bell-forgers. Cricket smiths take as much pride in the chiming of a handbell as in the thunder of a cannon
>>
Are leechfolk a fetish thing? They just seem forced even without arms.
>>
>>46030752
No, it's just influenced by another leech race for another setting that tg made, which everyone thought was interesting.
>>
>>46030752
What do you mean?
>>
>>45981311
This is awesome.
>>
>>46030800
That, and the inclusion of the spider, moth, and fly races from that setting.
>>
>>46031594
Wasn't really a setting. Just created the races to be put into whatever setting
>>
>>46030573
I'd really see the two being rivals when it comes to cannon production.

Even crabs, engineers and peerless underwater constructors, would be impressed by the level of quality of their weapons.
>>
>>46031970
It would likely depend on the Mound in question. Some would be trade partners with the Mole Crickets, others would be bitter rivals trying to steal the secrets of Cricket Steel
>>
>>46032251
Aggressive. I like it.

Also about the subject of crabs...

I was thinking of them having attempts at building spherical domes for underwater cities and industrial complexes that would require a dry area.
>>
Should regular crickets get a Luck bonus?
>>
File: Leech.jpg (138 KB, 628x830) Image search: [Google]
Leech.jpg
138 KB, 628x830
>>46006612
In an attempt to come to some form of mid point I went with flagella tentacle things that can serve as arms.
>>
>>46033534
I'm still pro armed leeches but I really like this compromise
>>
>>46026953
I like it!

Young, intrepid but a little naive to the world.

I intend him to be a kind of every-bug character that kept records of adventures.
>>
>>46033839
There was a webcomic I can't remember the name of that had an oversized jumping spider that was an author and kept stalking the MCs and recording their adventure even though the MC was arachnophobic
>>
>>46032493
I thought crabs were more clannish and not industrial. Building domes sounds cool though
>>
>>46034054
Well we could add some flavor that the crab clans aren't homogenous in terms of mentality and way of life.

Sure, they'd have traditions, beliefs and other elements that would link them together, but some clans would differ from each other.

Some would be miners, mining the ores and minerals from the bottom of the sea.

Some would be farmers, cultivating the seaweed and fish.

Others would be more of experimental types who love to tinker and invent.

And some would sell their services as engineers who build larger and more advanced constructions and make sure they last. No such bullshit, they build stuff that is both durable and lasting.

And then we have our deep-sea archaeologists...
>>
>>46034396
I thought shrimp (not the pistol shrimp) were the aquatic industrial types
>>
So why don't we work on fleshing out the scorpion/spider/mantis fluff?
I like the dynamic of how they control their predatory urges, but more could be done to describe it, especially the spiders.
>>
>>46035419
Last time they were turned into merchants and natural martial artists.
>>
>>46033534
I stand by this interpretation.
>>
>>46037256
Right those are the mantis shrimp. Thought we had:
Cocktail
Mantis
Pistol
>>
>>46037484
>Cocktail Shrimp

Which shrimp is that?
>>
>>46039222
Oh. Those who in this setting are about communication service?

Well thanks for explaining it anon.

Also I'm still for making Pistol Shrimps as a pirate/mercenary race.
>>
>>46039313
Nope I'm wrong, snappers ARE pistol shrimp, so I dunno.
Usually King Prawn are used in shrimp cocktail though.
>>
>>46040475
>King Prawn
OH.

Darn. We seriously need to make it so that we won't get any information chaos going here.
>>
>>46040648
I imagine some races are going to have a much softer or perhaps even non-existent concept of "subraces". The differences between some spider species might be impactful and recognizable, but perhaps shrimp don't make this distinction among themselves (barring specific cases like mantis shrimp, their capabilities set them apart). The differences between species in shrimp may be like different hair and skin colors are to humans. (which may in turn result in segregation by culture, racism, etc., if it were to perfectly mimic how we humans treat each other)
>>
>>46040984
OK, that would do it perfectly.
>>
>>46033534
What do you think about Leeches having a resistance to bludgeoning damage due to their lack of endo or exoskeleton
>>
>>46041781
>Ant Soldier hits Leech Marauder with hammer
>Ant Soldier is mesmerized by the Leech going jello after being hit

No problem with that for me.
>>
>>46041875
They'd still be vulnerable to piercing and slashing attacks but they'd have access to Toad Leather armor or Chitinmold Armor from the horseshoe crabs
>>
That's a good idea.
>>
>>46041957
Well duh. We don't want our Leeches to go kabob when someone waltzes in with a four-hander. Though of course saying from the start four-hander would be unfair due to how powerful that would be, so better a sword to show that these things would offer protection.

Also toads...and amphibians in general.

Darn, I can see already Crickets telling their kids nighttime spooky stories about giant toads that eat bugs by swallowing them whole alive. As in the "If you ain't gonna go to sleep, then the Big Boogle will appear and swallow you" Boogeyman shtick.
>>
>>46041957
>>46042147
I think they would forego any sort of rigid armor, their body shifts it's dimensions plenty when moving. It would be pretty limiting, at least compared to us humans, and to the other races as well. In terms of armor I think leather would be the choice, but I can imagine something resembing mail, or being mail, seeing use. The weight constraints might be minor compared to being able to shift one's body comfortably in a fight.
>>
File: salamander01.jpg (97 KB, 800x457) Image search: [Google]
salamander01.jpg
97 KB, 800x457
>>46042147
Deep in the darkest parts of the Rotting Swamps, where not even the bravest of Leech heroes will travel alone, lurks a primordial creature that drives terror into the multiple hearts of any sane leech.

The great Ba'Gaw is a salamander that dwarfs even the common giant amphibian. Able to swallow whole boats and canoes whole Ba'Gaw jealously protects his territory from civilized intruders. Only the crazed feral leeches and mosquitoes that made the depths of the Rotting Swamp seemed to avoid his ire and the primitive creatures seemed as if they worshiped Ba'Gaw as a living god.

Ba'Gaw has lived for countless years, the swamp-dwelling leviathan appearing in cycles to terrorize the swamps then disappearing for decades at a time. There have been tales of brave adventurers managing to slay the beast but he always seems to return.

Pseudoscorpion scholars have theorized that Ba'Gaw is actually a line of unique colossal salamanders, the children replacing the elder once their decades long growth period completes. Other, less credible theories say that it is the same Ba'Gaw reborn through the ages, his existence tied with the Rotting Swamp.

"For as long as the Rotting Swamp exists, so shall it be protected by Ba'Gaw." Or so the locals say.

-exerpt from the personal notes of Brevil the Ant
>>
File: shrimp2.jpg (35 KB, 640x331) Image search: [Google]
shrimp2.jpg
35 KB, 640x331
>>46040984
The horseshoe shrimp would take offense to being compared to their squishier cousins.

>pic related
>>
>>46045160
horseshoe crabs are feral and the size of tanks or larger. They're also technically arachnids, not crustaceans. Coastal dwelling leeches and crabs herd them for their blood and their shells which are used for all kinds of trade goods, such as shelter and chitinmold armor.

I'd see Triops being a popular leech, crab, or shrimp pet
>>
>>46044323
To add to this I think leeches would, when in close combat, go prone to move and act. This is because, to move they'd need to leave their underbelly exposed and unarmored, otherwise they'd lose all traction. Keeping a low stance protects an area impossible to armor, but limits them in terms of strength, mobility and defense, since the sides and back are now very hard to defend. "Standing up" would give them a wider range of possibilities, but they'd leave themselves open for deadly cutting and piercing weapons against their soft underside, spears would be their absolute bane, I think.

For these reasons I think leeches would never develop melee weapons, and would prefer to attack from range, perhaps with bows (I feel crossbows would look better from an aesthetic standpoint), the crude gunpowder weapons available, or more likely, magic, possibly nature oriented for thematic reasons. From a distance, an upright position can be taken to aim and concentrate. I think deployable cover would be popular, when faced with ranged enemies.
>>
File: 4842991190_b89d82b8db_z.jpg (102 KB, 640x426) Image search: [Google]
4842991190_b89d82b8db_z.jpg
102 KB, 640x426
>>46045232
No, not crab. Shrimp.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lepidurus_apus
>>
>>46045693
I always thought they'd maybe make use of their natural flexibility and stretchiness and attach a thagomizer or maul to their tail as a melee weapon. There was talk of them having a short-ranged sonic attack as well, not sure if that should stick around.

Their attacks would probably cause continuous bleeding damage, coating their arrows/bolts in their anticoagulant spit
>>
>>46046654
>their tail as a melee weapon.
It would be clumsy and unintuitive, striking from behind your own body, especially without adaptations that make this easier like scorpions would have. It wouldn't be a bad complement to a frontal weapon- it keeps oponents at bay from behind and it can be a good gotcha move to surprise unwitting enemies. But generally any weapon kept at your front will be better than any weapon kept at your back, backside weapons can't parry, can't stab without turning your back (without their flexibility they wouldn't be able to strike with it either), etc. I wouldn't ever rely on it, and it's probably a niche weapon that serves better as a surprising counterstrike when running away, much like zebras can often fatally wound reckless cheetas that come too close to their hooves.

The anticoagulant would raise interesting questions. Usually any major wound is enough to take out an opponent in combat, perhaps the use of this natural poison might be seen as unnecessarily cruel- though perhaps not, I'm just throwing out ideas.
>>
>>46046860
Oh I should've mentioned the tail weapon would've been used with them doing either spinning or flipping. Maybe even attacking from hiding from above in a tree. But you're right it'd be a very niche weapon for sure
Thread replies: 240
Thread images: 29

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.