[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So is he a sorcerer or a wizard?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 7
File: 1457816842092.png (544 KB, 800x1296) Image search: [Google]
1457816842092.png
544 KB, 800x1296
So is he a sorcerer or a wizard?
>>
>>45967398
Never seen him need to use a spellbook to cast his basic shit.
>>
>people still remember this shit
it wasn't even fotm, how did it even gained such a recognition?
>>
Shit, I guess one of his titles is literally Sorcerer King.

Guess that answers my question.
>>
File: 1457739160937.jpg (249 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1457739160937.jpg
249 KB, 1280x720
>>45967876
Having a protagonist that wasn't a male high school student was refreshing.
>>
>>45967876
Beats me. I sort of hated it
>>
>>45967398
Wait, is he "the strongest magic caster with the appearance of a skeleton", or "the strongest magic caster, with the appearance of a skeleton"?

A danging participle is no one's friend.
>>
>>45968017
I imagine the first one, since the strongest caster would probably not take a bunch of levels in being a skeleton
>>
>>45967398
Wizard, based on author's "oh see donut steel" he made in 3.5 game.
Why is Japan so good at making promising premises and then ruining literally everything with their shitty execution?
>>
>>45967987
>"im beihnd albedo faget"

Fuck.
>>
>>45967987
Except he was, literally, if not in body, then in mind.
>>
>>45968078
Weren't the requirement of the guilds being a grown ass person with a job and other shit to deal with?

18+ only and a (sort of) functioning member of society.
>>
>>45968059
Have you considered that some premises just aren't as good as you originally thought?
>>
max ranks in mary sue
>>
>>45968050
>I imagine the first one, since the strongest caster would probably not take a bunch of levels in being a skeleton

So then he's the most powerful caster that looks like a skeleton, but not necessarily the most powerful caster overall.

As I recall Momonga actually gimped his own build by grabbing all the death-related spells and classes and whatnot, regardless of whether or not they were good. That did give him access to his ultimate spell but he's not necessarily the most powerful caster he could be.
>>
>>45968120
He was a businessman before he got sent to the database. Also, becoming a skeleman fundamentally changed his thought processes.
>>
>>45968126
Nah. >>45968059 has a point, if perhaps only due to statistics. There is so much LN shit out that at least some of it must have a promising premise.
>>
>>45967876
People are super into "trapped in a video game" since sword art and this is the only one where the main character is a villain

That's the only reason I can think of given the writing is kind of shit. Went to read the light novel because I got sick of waiting. It's straight up word for word what the anime is and I'm pretty sure the writing got even worse after the arc the anime covers. Put me off the entire series
>>
>>45968126
Yes, I did, and, no, they are good (not talking about Overlord in particular, by the way).
Do I really need to list things and explain why they could've been good for you to believe me?
>>
It works better if you only have a vague idea of what d&d is, instead of actually playing it. Also, for all the tabletop tropes, it's supposed to be "videogame becomes real," not "pnp becomes real."
>>
>>45968238
You sure seems to think you can do, so humor me.
>>
>>45968191
I have personal experience with gimping myself by putting pale master levels in a caster build because I wanted to be a cool guy.
>>
>>45968059
>Why is Japan so good at making promising premises and then ruining literally everything with their shitty execution?
I think that's everyone, not just Japan. We're more accustomed to Hollywood or Marvel or whoever fucking up known premises in known ways, whereas "skeleton lord wrecks peoples' shit" is a relatively rare and awesome-sounding premise to then squander utterly on edgy powerwank.

>>45968120
>18+ only and a (sort of) functioning member of society.
Emphasis on the sort of, hence being the only faggot in his guild able and willing to hang around obsessing over his precious game going under.

>>45968193
>Also, becoming a skeleman fundamentally changed his thought processes.
That'd actually be pretty neat if the change wasn't just being more of a generic dick to go along with his powerwank. At least, I assume that's what the change was. Was that what the change was?
>>
File: smugvito.jpg (19 KB, 413x310) Image search: [Google]
smugvito.jpg
19 KB, 413x310
>gets trapped in an MMO
>somehow becomes the final boss instead of just getting logged out during maintenance

literally the stupidest thing ever
>>
>>45968238
You don't have to, but when I think of Overlord's premise I just see a maxed out MMO player power tripping on a fantasy world with random bits of grimdark sprinkled in.
>>
>>45968384
>Was that what the change was?

I'm pretty sure it was something like he didn't feel emotions because he was a skeleton
in the shitty 5 min/ep mini series thing they did along with it he picked something up that made him feel emotions again but im not sure if that effected the main show or not
>>
>>45968384
It just made him feel less.

Not really made him a dick.

Insofar as I am aware he becomes callous but not an explicitly bad person. He becomes much more pragmatic but still doesn't go out of his way to fuck people over. Still, he was always a socially inept jackass, very much indicated by the guardian he himself made.
>>
>>45968384
One of the skeleton racial abilities made him calm the fuck down whenever he felt strong emotion, he didn't have any real issue with seeing people getting cleaved in half vs. freaking out and vomiting, he didn't really feel any particular kinship with humans despite being one in the old world and saw no problem with getting tons of people killed if it was required by his plans, though he did pull his punches on occasion if they were innocent peasant types.
>>
>>45968384
I think it mostly just made him less impulsive and generally more prone to making choices that were boring to watch
>>
>>45967987
Yeah, and the rest of the show was filled with the most generic anime cliches. Seriously, it's like them gooks are running in circles, every anime seems like a parody of the previous one. It'll get to the point in which every animation studio will comine and there'll be one universal anime with all the stupid shit shoved in.
I don't know how anyone can take it seriously at this point. Personaly I cringe out of every anime I try to watch.
>>
Here's the "calm down nigga" thing in action, it's the green glow with the chime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jV9psvaeYI
>>
>>45968419
go away, trashman
>>
File: Nepmemes.png (26 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
Nepmemes.png
26 KB, 200x200
>>45968598
can't handle the truth kid?

pssh

nothin personell
>>
>>45968337
Alright, l don't want to waste too much time, so let's head straight for the obvious low-hanging fruit.

>Infinite Stratos
>What it could've been: Military drama with copious amount of worldbuilding, both sociological and technological
>What it is: Harem revolving around the MC who is too dense to notice any advances upon him, peppered with some plot and action scenes both of which make little sense

Mind you, it wouldn't have won any awards for writing, but it would've been much better than what we have.

>>45968435
I agree wholeheartedly. It is a powerwank with poor writing. If you read the original LNs, the writing devolves even further than some might think is possible.
>>
>>45968531
>Yeah, and the rest of the seroes was filled with the most generic super hero cliches. Seriously, it's like them writers are running in circles, every comic seems like a parody of the previous one. It'll get to the point in which every comic studio will comine and there'll be one universal comic with all the stupid shit shoved in.

I'm glad we can agree
>>
>>45968531
no kidding, i've stopped watching so many anime because they throw in some idiotic cliche
>>
>>45968017
>>45968050
>>45968191
All the other casters from his world are gone now though.
>>
>>45968647
>implying anyone want a military drama that also go throw off the story to bring up non-military sociological and technological stuff
That might work Hahaha no in a movie but not in a <30 minutes 12 episodes show. Especially if you want to actually tell a story No matter how bad instead of just doing a documentary about your fictional universe.
>>
>>45967876
The main fanbase are people who read the books, not people who watched the anime.

>>45968078
He was a grown ass man with a job.
>>
File: 1452417990507.jpg (276 KB, 1365x1586) Image search: [Google]
1452417990507.jpg
276 KB, 1365x1586
>>45968570
I think that shape shifting shyguy-looking dude was the only thing I liked from that show
>>45968647
When I see something like Infinite Stratos I kind of assume it was made to be a harem first and everything else second in the best case. I think a lot of the more creative elements in those kind of shows come from "How can this be different from the other harem/mecha/highschool comedy" sort of thinking
>>
>>45968059
What's wrong with the execution?
>>
>>45968228
>since sword art
Since Mushoku Tensei
>>
>>45967398
Donno, did he cast with a spellbook or just kind of cast them naturally from memory?

If spellbook then a wizard
If not then a sorcerer
>>
>>45968228
I saw people recommend it like it was the greatest thing ever, but once I started watching it, I was underwhelmed.

Sword Art, Log Horizon, and Overlord all fall into the same pattern of unabashed Wish Fulfillment, but Overlord puts far too much emphasis on Momonga being awesome, all without really tapering it with any other characters.

SAO started to fall apart in the 2nd half of the first season, and just sort of coasted through the entire second season because it seemed to try to establish Kirito as a larger-than-life figure rather than an actual person. None of the other characters can really do anything substantial aside from supporting him, and the entertainment value ends up relying entirely on how much you can stand Kirito, rather than how much you like him. While still watchable, it all winds up feeling like a side story or an epilogue, rather than a main plot.

The major issue with Overlord is that there was never a "1st season" to get attached to Momonga. At best, you got the 1st episode which gave you a small sense of him being a person, and once that was out of the way, you were faced with the question of "Do you like this guy who always wins and is so much smarter and stronger than everyone else?" There's flashbacks and hints of his humanity, but they are buried beneath everyone being amazed and impressed by how awesome everything he is, has, or does.

It puts you in that uncomfortable position where it's not even trying to be anything except mindless wish fulfillment, and you have to settle with yourself whether you are willing to overlook that in order to just have fun with the battles and the characters.

While I could easily do that with SAO because the battles were fun and with LH because I was genuinely charmed by the characters, OL made it somewhat difficult because big flashy spells bore me and the characters weren't particularly likable; not even Albedo, who I thought I was going to really like just from her character design.
>>
>>45968909
Lol since .hack nigga
>>
>>45969307
That's not the originator of the current trend.
>>
>>45969092
>season
>episode
There's your problem. Read the fucking books.
>>
>>45969358
Having read them I can honestly say, the whole thing is pretty bad. I'd put it barely above twilight in my ranking list
>>
>>45969327
You're right, probably no line to be drawn between a popular, shitty anime about MMO soultraps and all of these popular, shitty anime about MMO soultraps
>>
>>45969419
There's a line to be drawn, you've just drawn it wrong.
>>
>>45969419
Not all .//hack where shitty, some were at least at acceptable if not decent level I still want the time I spent watching roots back
>>
File: 1445689894345.png (150 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1445689894345.png
150 KB, 1280x720
>>45967987
>ur buthurt is world clas item

Makes me chuckle everytime.
>>
>>45969471
SPROING! Mon ami.
>>
>>45967876
Bless of Magic Caster
>>
>>45968191
Yeah, his build is basically almost all role-playing, however, because he was borderline obsessed with the game and generally good at game oriented thinking, it's still decent, and hardly a gimped trap-laden build.

But it made clear that in terms of pure destructive power, MP, and abilities per day, his illithid styled friend was a much more powerful mage.

>>45967398
I'll argue sorcerer, though in a system with a pure magic stat that all casters of all types use. He has a list of known spells, which he greatly enlarged with a class ability. Much more sorcerer like than wizard like.

All this arguing over some light novel. It was worth my time to read, but I'd agree its popularity seems unmerited.
>>
>>45968419
Invading his guild hall was considered more difficult than any of the pve content when yggdrasil was still a thing.
>>
>>45970032
>Victim the raid killer
I swear on me mum if one of you kill the little shit again.
>>
>>45970098
Speaking of which, did we ever find out what victim does?

I remember seeing a lot of people talking about it casting some ridiculous debuff bomb on death, but no actual proof of this being the case.
>>
>>45970168
>I remember seeing a lot of people talking about it casting some ridiculous debuff bomb on death, but no actual proof of this being the case.
Web novel which wasn't translated. When victim dies it apply ALL the ygg debuff in an area equivalent to his floor level.
>>
>>45970207
>ALL the ygg debuff

Fuck that would be annoying as shit.
>>
File: D&D pvp.webm (3 MB, 714x400) Image search: [Google]
D&D pvp.webm
3 MB, 714x400
>>
>>45970249
So annoying people complained to the dev who told them to fuck off
>>
>>45970249
Especially considering the variety of classes in the game.

It doesnt matter how many immunities or resistances you have, one of the save or dies is going to land eventually.
>>
>>45970298
They did have to widen nazerick's halls and stuff like that to avoid getting a fine from Yggdrasil's equivalent of OSHA, though. It had to be at least somewhat fair for the invaders.
>>
>>45967876
>1. Fantasy Fiction/TV is hard to find.
I watch basically all of it that I come across, and am still regularly looking for more.And that's with a ~50+h/week job.(40+Common Overtime).
>2. The main character's not a fucking child in a school setting.
This seems to be an oddly rare treasure in anime/manga.
>3. "Real People in Videogame Land" is apparently a genre now that people actually look for.
>4. Shows with morally ambiguous or evil protagonists are not all that common.
>5. The main characters are monsters, is an interesting gimmick you don't see that often in Anime.

Basically, there's a collection of neat gimmicks that make it stand out, and it's in a market where the audience is starved for quality entertainment and therefore has lower expectations before something will be good enough that they like it.

I'd watch more seasons if they made them.
>>
>>45967876
9 translated volumes+a billion side stories will do that.
>>
>>45968877
He doesn't like it, that's enough to trigger the average person on 4chan.
Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.