[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Think of a tabletop RPG system. Then, think of a setting for
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: c2d2cb909311d955ca4f00922e23cecf.png (886 KB, 1000x1382) Image search: [Google]
c2d2cb909311d955ca4f00922e23cecf.png
886 KB, 1000x1382
Think of a tabletop RPG system. Then, think of a setting for it, whether the setting is the RPG's default setting, another published setting, or a homebrew creation.

Got it? Good.

The system and setting are now the basis for a "2010s anime (adapted from an LN) about kids getting dropped into an MMO/video game RPG world, with everyone inexplicably aware of stats and game mechanics"-style series. What is the anime like?
>>
>>45958154

Fuck, my first thought was Orpheus.

Okay, so there's an MMO where you wander a ghostly hellscape and fight specters and lay ghosts to rest. Lots of kids are playing it.

The thing is that the technology actually allows the player to project, as Skimmers. Hence the rumors of people dying from 'overplaying' turns out to be the truth. Also, some people have gone berserk and become Jasons when they were possessed by Specters.

Ultimately, the game was distributed by a Malfean in order to harvest souls for the great war against Grandmother to come.
>>
Combine Minecraft, unreal tournament, and Corruption of Champions with a ridiculously in-depth and user-created item crafting system (if you can define it with the game physics, you can make it) and exploitable magics.
Ladies and gentlemen, I give you GURPS.
>>
This thread was right next to the Gurps general, so I thought of that and a western setting.

I guess the anime kiddos keep trying to bug the GM to let them take certain advantages and superhuman stuff? One keeps trying to make things cinematic and rules-lite while another goes gritty and follows all the optional rules. Meanwhile they make a bunch of fanny jokes about popular movies. Man now I just want to watch Trigun.
>>
>>45958154
An RPG system that is based on subtlety and carefully applied imagination, but with a jarringly different and horror-filled insta-death combat subsystem.

For instance, magic-users have no specific spells, but can infuse mundane skills with magical properties, and as they level up, the DCs for doing this become easier. For instance, a wizard has a magical knack for persuasion. He can touch a vine-plant and mentally communicate with it, to try and convince it to magically grow and stretch to reach out with plant tentacles and grab hold of a foe, maybe smash the foe to the ground. The DM sets the DC.

A single stabbing wound, arrow wound, or sword swipe will bleed out, infest, or simply kill most characters unless they are heavily protected. Essentially super realism, most people fall unconscious for hours after a few good blows to the head, and are incapacitated from pain and fear when suffering a sword wound and the like. Surviving through pain and fear requires heroic survival feats.
>>
>>45958189
>an MMO where you wander a ghostly hellscape and fight specters and lay ghosts to rest

You mean Dark Souls?
>>
>>45958154
Step One: Think of a Table top RP System
Eclipse Phase
Step Two: Think of a setting for it
Shadowrun

"Well chummer, you see the Johnson's daughter, which you slept with, by the way, used to be a manatee."

Johnson strikes yet again.
>>
Well I was thinking of L5R. If a bunch of modern kids get dropped into Rokugan I think everyone will die.
>>
>>45958279
except unlike dank souls it's not overhyped shit.
>>
>>45958154
>Call of Cthulhu default 1920s setting

A psychological horror series where somehow people who die in it die for real. Whether it's some insane hacker or actual multidimensional entity is never fully revealed but the protagonists are forced to use their own hacking abilities to try and cheat the game (since the system itself is stacked against them) despite doing so hurting their own sanity as well.

Basically Lain meets .hack with a 20s noire artstyle.
>>
File: 8073566001_868b7cace8.jpg (50 KB, 500x378) Image search: [Google]
8073566001_868b7cace8.jpg
50 KB, 500x378
>>45958332
>>
>Tenra Bansho Zero in the setting of Konosuba
Sounds fun, would watch.
>>
>>45958154
>Think of a tabletop RPG system
I run a Warhammer Fantasy 2nd game, so I'll pick that one.

>Then, think of a setting for it
I'll go with the default setting, since my game takes place in the Border Princes.

>It's a Trapped-In-An-MMO Anime now!
Every single character is going to be dead or sold into slavery in like a week.
>>
>>45958335
That actually sounds pretty damn interesting. You could easily make a good story out of that.
>>
>>45958154
>Stalker the scifi
>France Zone
>It's now "trapped in vidya" anime!
Get out of here, Stalker. The God Stone can be found in Lafitte-Vigordane, It'll grant your wish to get out. It's the truth, that's what old Shallow used to say before the institute finally caught him and his crew.

The anime will have a lot of broken people driven to stalkering, with the protagonist being the only one with no setbacks. The story proceeds to teach that if you get back from the zone with treasure, it's a miracle. If you get back alive, it was a success. Bullet from a patrol is bad luck, everything else is fate.

Also, no stats, because that's how the game rolls.
>>
>it's another trapped in a MMO anime
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.