[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>lurking /tg/ for over three years because I casually play
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 6
File: warhams.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2146) Image search: [Google]
warhams.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2146
>lurking /tg/ for over three years because I casually play MtG and some D&D
>decide that maybe I do finally want to get into Warhammer after reading a fair amount of lore and seeing all the Warhammer threads
>go to my FLGS to see what kind of Warhammer scene there is
>the owner tells me that they have groups who play Age of Sigmar and then he hesitates, glancing around, "some 40K"
>A small neckbeard manthing resembling a squat pops up out of fucking no where
>"40K? FOUR-TEE KAY? Don't listen to him. We play 30K here."
>he proceeds to launch into a full rant about 30K and pre-Heresy chapters and how it's a vastly superior game because of point scaling, blah blah blah
>literally rants for 10+ minutes
>asks me what Legion I want
>I tell him I don't really like Space Marines
>"OHO A MECHANICUM FAN"
>I don't even know what that is
>Can I play Orks
>he proceeds to rant about how Pre-Heresy Orks are so large they can crush a marine with their bare hand, single hand, no power klaw
>flies into another apoplectic fit
>ask the owner about Age of Sigmar
>he tells me it's cheap and that it's easier than ever to get into
>shows me the "beginner army" box for Skaven
>$320

Fuck this.

I TRIED.

I HONESTLY TRIED. I know Warhammer is expensive and full of autists but I assumed there'd at least be someone NOT jacking off about space marines in real life for five fucking minutes. And I thought I could get a starter box of some fucking rats and, a catapult or something, I don't know, for like $80 to plant the seed and slowly work up to taking the GW dick in my ass for more models, but I'm not shelling out three hundred dollary doos just to START.

I give up.
>>
People like him is the reason I never tell I'm a 40k player in public.
>>
>>45943239

this
>>
40k is such a terrible game and community. Its strange to me that its so popular on /tg/ when in my real life experience its so expensive, unfun, and attracts the bottom of the barrel social rejects, when compared to other tabletop games.
>>
File: 1415755743481.gif (891 KB, 325x252) Image search: [Google]
1415755743481.gif
891 KB, 325x252
>>45943158
>things that never happened
>>
>>45943512
>attracts the bottom of the barrel social rejects
>4chan

Wheredoyouthinkyouare.jpeg
>>
>>45943158
EBay always works, also depending what city/town/country/state you live in, you could always go to another lgs that isn't fucking weird.
>>
>>45943158
Well he is right, 30k is better. And you don't want to play orks, trust me.
>>
>>45943158
So play a different, cheaper game.
>>
>>45943239
I found, with my experience in the hobby it was way more enjoyable only playing with close friends. I very rarely ended up playing with randoms, so I never saw the spastic autism that seems to be the poster child of my old hobby. Your milage varies of course, and apart from playing in a few big tournaments it was a pretty reasonable experience overall. Of course only playing the same people over and over, you run the risk of the game getting stale, as everyone more or less ends up playing the same lists with slight variations. Adding homebrew terrain rules and scenarios can spice it up a bit, and my group developed a neat squad XP and progression scale for our armies. Of course it was developed in a slight vacuum, only taking I to consideration the armies that were involved and not everything possible in the game, so results were slightly squed. Since now I've sold off all my fantasy (which is unfortunate, I began enjoying fantasy more then 40k, which I started with) and am now sitting on about 4k worth of CSM. I enjoy the setting now through the off shoot games in the settings (necromunda and blood bowl) and through the ttrpg games. Finished off a Dark Heresy game a while back that took almost a full year to complete. I still find the hobby enjoyable, but again your milage varies.
>>
>>45943158
>And I thought I could get a starter box of some fucking rats and, a catapult or something, I don't know, for like $80 to plant the seed
A start collecting box of Skaven for 85$ just came out, it even has a catapult
https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Start-Collecting-Skaven-Pestilens
>>
>>45944584
Its more of a ratapult, really.
>>
>>45944558

>playing with your friends in home brew campaigns

This guy gets it. Games are much more enjoyable when you play them with people who's company you enjoy anyway. I get this isn't always an option, but even three or four of you starting small at 500pts and expanding armies from there is a lot more enjoyable than pick up games at stores in most cases.
>>
>>45943512
>Attracts the bottom of the barrel social rejects
>40k
What is Yu-gi-oh? (40 yr old paedophiles)
What is Pokemon? (the worst pre-teens you'll ever meet outside of xbox live)
What is MLP TCG? (bronies, enough said)
What is Pathfinder? (specifically for the furfags)

Pretty sure you're 100%, undeniably wrong
>>
>>45943158
Be honest OP. What kind of game do you want? There are a lot of alternatives, you just need to know what you want.
>>
>>45944821
There's a MLP card game?
>>
File: you feel it too don't you.jpg (48 KB, 543x544) Image search: [Google]
you feel it too don't you.jpg
48 KB, 543x544
>>45944821

>What is MLP TCG
>MLP has a TCG
>>
>>45943158
>And I thought I could get a starter box of some fucking rats and, a catapult or something, I don't know, for like $80 to plant the seed and slowly work up to taking the GW dick in my ass for more models, but I'm not shelling out three hundred dollary doos just to START.

skaven starter box is 85 US $ or if 120 australian so i have no idea where the fuck you pulled the 320 from
>>
>>45944903
>>45944969
Yup, or at least there was. Not sure anymore.
There was a small group at my FLGS that played it for the first year or two of me being at college. They haven't been there for the last year to year and a half though.

It was all people that pissed me off to no end IN ADDITION to being bronies, so every time they showed up, myself and the rest of the 40k players went out of our way to shit on their party (we bought more stuff at the store so the owners liked us more).
>>
>>45944167
What a crock of shit. It's not hard to balance one fucking army with minor variations. And not everyone wants to be fucking marines. I bet anything marines vs mechanicus and guard is just as convoluted mess.
>>
>>45945201
If you cannot do the hard way, do the easy way.
>>
>>45943158
I know your pain anon, I'm just restarting, getting my first 2 formations and building towards my army's decurion after ten years out but man, the community...
>>
>>45943512
The rules are pure dogshit but the armies are sweet; good models and fun special rules. I'm honestly tempted to try 7ed army composition and codices with 3ed rules.
>>
>>45943583
Honest answer: /tg/ is surprisingly well adjusted.
>>
>>45943158
Try historicals
>>
>>45943158
It's for the best. 40k straight up sucks as a game, and with each release in 7th edition - it gets worse.

Save yourself a bunch of time and money, the return isnt worth it.
>>
>>45945109
from his ass, this is obviously a thinly veiled anti GW/warhammer thread.
>>
>>45946094
They may have seen that 'horde' army set that got released, you know; the 'horde' of like 20 skaven?
>>
>>45946135
Hmm maybe, even so how he words himself just makes this seem like one of the many threads taking the piss out of those games. Fuck skaven anyway, sotek for life fags.
>>
>>45943158
>All those Iron Hands
>No infantry to take advantage of the -1 S shooting
What is the point
>>
>>45944821

>what if we're all terrible and trying to make a hierarchy of nerds is like trying to decide what episode of inuyasha is better?
>>
>>45945128
It's still around because I have to sell it to degenerate brony scum at work.
>>
>>45945465

There are some pretty terrible basement dwellers here in /tg/, lurking in the dark corners. Sometimes something makes them froth up in autistic rage, and other times they just quietly slip themselves in.

Look for some of /tg/'s horror stories, especially with Game Finder threads.
>>
>>45946197
I think it helps that he has been interested in the lore and read a bunch of books, but a single instance within a game store is enough to make his swear off of it forever
>>
File: nope.webm (3 MB, 718x404) Image search: [Google]
nope.webm
3 MB, 718x404
>>45954250
>Implying most people can pick and choose what gamestore they go to.
>Implying there's an abundance of game stores.
>Implying 40kids aren't cancerous manchildren.
>>
>>45943158
>>asks me what Legion I want
>>I tell him I don't really like Space Marines
>>"OHO A MECHANICUM FAN"

This made me lol.
>>
I love 40k, and have been steadily building and painting my army. I write backstory for all the characters in the army.

But I don't play. I'd like to actually.

There are two game stores nearish. One would take about 1hr 45 minutes to get to from where I live, and the other would take much less time to get to, depending on when the trains run maybe as quick as 25 minutes, or about 60 minutes walking. If I had a bicycle it would cut down on time a lot actually, but I haven't ridden a bicycle in over ten years and am not sure I still can.

I usually buy my stuff online because I am a bit of a shut-in.
>>
Sounds like u just got bad luck with your local store OP. I just actually started getting into 40k a few weeks ago and everyone at my FLGW has been extremely helpful and cool. I've probably spent a little over $100 for my inquisition army (700pts) and paint (and inquis is not really a cheap army $ wise).
>>
>>45955439
Are you me? The closest store's 40K scene is just 15 year olds who don't paint there miniatures. The closest store that has a decent scene is too far away for me to justify it, as I am busy on weekdays when they play 40K.

It doesn't help that the more I read and hear about the rules the more appaled I am. I feel like I should have just gotten into Flames instead, as much as I like GW's models.
>>
>>45955439
>>45955658

Same story here. I've only ever played one game, that was at the start of 6th edition. Why do the FLGS always have weird fucking hours too like Tuesday or Thursday evenings till 11 PM. Why the fuck don't you play on weekends?
>>
>>45956323
Fridays are for MTG, which keeps the store in business

Weekends are for PnP rpgs which are frequently every bit as expensive as MTG. They CAN be very cheap of course, in the same way you can buy a $15 MTG starter an no more. But if it is someone's passion, they will spend, and it is a lot of people's passion.

warhams goes on bizarre weeknights, especially on nights when I have to work late
>>
>>45943158
Honestly, 40k isn't designed around competivie stuff, which is why I personally disdain most pick up and play games.
40k is, and always has been, a narrative focused game. It's why in the basic rulebook, the little extra help and tips sections is called "forging a narrative" not "better ways to beat the enemy". It's why GW only 'playtests' by having the staff play narrative games, because when you play 40k, you don't play to win, you play for fun, to witness the epicness of the battles of the 41st millenium, to see the great clashes between unimaginable beings of unfathomable power.
All the lore you read about, that's what 40k is supposed to repersent: as you play, you're supposed to imagine the battlefeild like those stories.
To do that, you need a good group of friends who will play for fun, who you can joke with and be open with, who will be willong to play narrative games with you, who will agree to houserules because your group knows that it will make the game cooler and funner, make the tales of your dudes more epic, balance and competiveness be damned.
If you want to play 40k the way it's meant to be played, hang around some of the LGS near you, play a few pick up games so you can get to know people and determine who would be ideal for forming a group like I described, then make friends, and get the group together as often as you want to, playing each game for fun, forging narratives and grand, awesome stories that you and your group can talk about and reflect on later over a couple of beers after you all have spent the day leading the great armies of the 41st millenium into glorious battle.
>>
>>45955658
>It doesn't help that the more I read and hear about the rules the more appaled I am. I feel like I should have just gotten into Flames instead, as much as I like GW's models.
Nah man, rules aren't that bad, the balance of the codexes are, but that only matters in competive stuff. In games with friends or in narrative campaigns run by competent people, they'll fix that with house rules and regulations to ensure the lower tier dexes have a chance and the high tier ones don't go full cheese. Plus some of them may feature stuff like xp, special abilities and the like, which is always fun.
Nothing like having some random nob slowly move up the food chain throughout the campaign until they can rival ghazskull himself

Miniwargaming, despite their faults, does this stuff rather well, especially there currently ongoing deathwatch campaign. That's a quite good example of how to run 40k.
>>
i'm sorry op
>>
>>45945128
>so every time they showed up, myself and the rest of the 40k players went out of our way to shit on their party (we bought more stuff at the store so the owners liked us more).
You sound like the kind of deplorable sperg that makes 40k players look like shit.
Who gives a fuck what they do as long as they arnt actively trying to cause you trouble.
>>
>>45952328
Wow, didn't think the thread would still be going.

Admittedly /tg/ has its weird autism goblins but to be fair it's the nerd game board on 4chan. Compared to how bad that COULD be I think we're doing well, we've got about the same amount of true weirdos as places like the giantitp forums.
>>
>>45943158
>Walk into FLGS thinking they sell video games
>See all the shit
>Confused as hell, walk out.
>Come back later and actually look at what is there
>Buy some orks for 12 dollars and like 2 paints and try it out because it looked cool
>Fun as hell
>3 years later and probably $600 later im here.
Was pretty cool
>>
File: 1305189580105.png (19 KB, 626x492) Image search: [Google]
1305189580105.png
19 KB, 626x492
>>45943158
>lurking /tg/ for over three years
>decide that maybe I do finally want to get into Warhammer

You apparently didn't lurk hard enough shitbird.

You would have known warhammer has been shit for like 20 years.

Also this >>45943582
>>
File: CherryPicked.jpg (108 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
CherryPicked.jpg
108 KB, 250x250
>>45954313
>implying games can be played only in stores
>projecting this hard

No anon, you are the cancer.
>>
>>45960114
well I'm glad you have friends that are willing to play on your kitchen table

not all of us have friends you know
>>
threads like this makes me never leave my safe-zone. I'll probably end up with several 40k and AoS armies painted and not a single game played.
>>
>>45944821
>What is Yu-gi-oh? (40 yr old paedophiles)
>What is Pokemon? (the worst pre-teens you'll ever meet outside of xbox live)
>What is MLP TCG? (bronies, enough said)
>What is Pathfinder? (specifically for the furfags)

I'm now wondering what the perception of battletech players is.....
>>
>>45944969

Mechanically it's actually not a terrible game, the problem is that it's MLP.

If you really want to play it, just play Doomtown: Reloaded instead. They're more alike than you might expect and the differences all break in Doomtown's favor.
>>
>>45954506
If I do get into 30k mechanicum is probably what I'd try
>>
>>45944969
There's worse stuff out there.
Stuff like Furoticon
>>
>>45943158
Did you guys read the autist's lines in Danny Devito's voice too?
>>
>>45965545
At the very least the former has some degree of world building, the latter is just.. bile
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.