[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Stat leviathan from worm /tg/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 94
Thread images: 3
File: Leviathan.jpg (31 KB, 607x479) Image search: [Google]
Leviathan.jpg
31 KB, 607x479
Stat leviathan from worm /tg/
>>
Noone? i thought this would be a interesting creature to stat?
>>
>>45938492

>Gargantuan Monstrosity (Humanoid?), Chaotic Neutral
>Armor Class 23 (Natural)
>Hit Points 546 (28d20 + 252)
>Speed Swim 80 ft.
>STR 20
>DEX 13
>CON 19
>INT 14
>WIS 12
>CHA 2
>Skills Perception +12
>Damage Immunities cold, lightning; bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical weapons
>Condition Immunities frightened, paralyzed
Senses truesight 120ft., passive perception 19
>Languages understands Abyssal, Celestial, Infernal, and Primordial but can't speak, telepathy 120ft.
>Challenge 20 (32,500 XP)
>Legendary Resistance.(3/day) If the leviathan fails a saving throw, it can choose to succeed instead
>Siege Monster The leviathan does double damage on objects and structures.
>ACTIONS
>Claw Melee Weapon Attack: +17 to hit, reach 15 ft., one target. >Hit: 17 (2d6 + 10) slashing damage.
>Tail Melee Weapon Attack: +17 to hit, reach 15 ft., one target. Hit: 19 (2d8 + 10) bludgeoning damage.
>Frightful Presence. Each creature of the Leviathan's choice within 120 feet of the Leviathan and aware of it must suceed on a DC 21 wisdon saving throw or become frightened for 1 or 2 minutes . A creature can repeat the saving throw at the end of each turn, ending the effect on itself on a success. If a creature's saving throw is successful or the effects ends for it, the creature is immune to the Leviathan's frightful presence for 24 hours.
>Steam Breath (Recharge 5-6). the Leviathan exhales a stream of hot steam in a 120 foot cone. Each creature in the area must make a DC 24 dexterity saving throw, taking 91 (26d6) damage on a failed save, or half as much on a successful one.
>>
Who's this chump and why should I care?
>>
>>45938738
basically he is from a web serial called worm, he is a creature part of the trio of kaiju called endbringers, Leviathan personally destroyed the island of Kyushu by himself with his macro hydrokinesis.
>>
>>45938648
Then why the fuck didn't you do it?
>>
>>45938714
There are a couple of mistakes here (no base speed for one) but I honestly don't think you can stat Leviathan in 5e anyway.

The mad power levels of 3e could make it work though. Plus, y'know, there's Mutants and Masterminds.
>>
>>45938714
>AC 23
>HP 546
Think you might be lowballing it a bit, that scaly son of a bitch has the mass of a spiral galaxy
>>
>>45938492
I can't into D&D style stats, but this should be a definite part of any block he's got:

Exponential Density: Leviathan starts with DR 1. For every point of damage Leviathan takes, double its DR number.
>>
>>45939001
Now that I think about this, it's probably not good enough.

>>45938996
I gotchu family
>>
>>45939023
don't forget he is pretty much a speedster underwater and his water after image which often hits like concrete at speed
>>
>>45938996
I was about to counter your argument, but I looked it up, and those are both lower than the 5e Tarrasque

>>45938996
DR isn't usually a thing in 5e, just "resistance" which halves damage, but you could start Leviathan with a relatively low AC, and have that AC increase as more damage is taken--or just write a custom "Damage Resistance" ability.

Another cheat would be to give him lair actions, and consider Earth's entire hydrosphere his "lair."
>>
>>45939140
The deeper you cut Leviathan, the harder it gets. Figuratively and literally. I think DR is warranted here.
>>
>>45938492
Cool design if nothing else.
>>
>>45938784
He sounds lame.
>>
>>45939311
his skin gets denser and denser the further you go in, if i remember its around iron and half a inch later double that , and there is several hundred layers.
>>
>>45939413
He still sounds lame.
>>
>>45938492
This motherfucker was what hooked me on worm, for better or worse. All those vague little references to the Endbringers culminate in a real 'oh shit' moment when leviathan shows up and starts wrecking a city of supers with ease. The other end bringer scenes honestly felt disappointing in comparison to the giant crocodile man with super speed, hydrokinesis and dem water clones mang. The scale of his threat just made the fight seem so hopeless.

Fuck brehs, I miss worm. for all its soap opera dialog and technical flaws, it really is an awesome setting
>>
File: not as clever.png (513 KB, 370x472) Image search: [Google]
not as clever.png
513 KB, 370x472
>>45939311
>>45939567
>>
>>45939600
I think the whole story would have been more satisfying if Contessa actually killed Khepri.
>>
>>45939600
personally i like the moment when behemoth is reduced to a skeleton and just keeps going.
>>
>>45938648
Also, literally who?
>>
>>45939413
That doesn't even sound remotely interesting.
>>
>>45939600
I... I'm not a fan of the Endbringers. Perhaps the author wasn't fully matured in his style at that time, but the Leviathan attack was when I started skimming a lot.

The fight with Armsmaster was weird. At times, it felt like it was describing Leviathan as maybe a 10 footer rather than 30 footer. And I realize that there was some dice rolling involved in deciding who lived or died, but maaan, it's like everyone traded their plot armor for red shirts. Characters who were supposed to be resilient went down if Leviathan so much as twitched his tail at them.

And the whole density/durability thing felt like it should have been treated as hyperbole rather than gospel.

I've actually only just finished Worm and I'm currently reading the epilogues. I did take breaks here and there, inbetween binge readings. It's a really nice series with a really neato universe. But it breaks down a bit when talking about heavy hitters.
>>
>>45939604
I'm not trying to be clever. I'm just saying that this sounds like some grade-school tier shit.
>>
>>45939781

I'm still annoyed about 'Yeah, guy who is actually supposed to be invincible isn't immune to brain damage'. By that logic, you could just fill him with bullets and he'll never get better as humans don't heal that naturally.
>>
>>45939413
For solid objects in 5e, AC is determined by the material it's made of, instead of size and whether or not its moving. For example, a five foot wall in 5e would have AC 15 if it was wood, AC 19 if it was steel, and AC 23 if adamant. In 3e all of those walls would have AC 5, but varying hardness/damage resistance.
>>
>>45939632

Frankly, my main problem with Worm is that I found Taylor to be completely unlikeable. I wish she'd died in the Leviathan fight. Also, the final solution makes no sense. How did she KNOW she had a power that would help? I can't understand the chain of reasoning that lead to that. I mean, most people would've gone "Oh, I've already second-triggered? Welp."
>>
>>45939892
I stopped reading shortly after the Slaugherhouse Number (I honestly can't remember if it was five or seven) showed up. The setting was cool, the concepts were cool, I liked most of the characters, but it just got unrelentingly bleak and depressing-- it seemed like there was no up-and-down, just down-and-more-down.
>>
You don't stat Endbringers, they are a plot device that can only be killed by a plot device. Statting their attacks and powers is also useless, as they are holding back, hard.

What you do instead is figure out how much they want to kill you, then scale their attacks and their ability to be slowed down to that.
>>
>>45939892
I don't have an answer, but it's probably because she's a level 10 Thinker, and can maybe make those leaps of logic reliably? I'm in agreement with you here, but that's how I'd justify it if I had to.
I've also got a thing for broken birds, so there's that
>>
>>45939632
See and that would have ruined it for me, I really like the idea of Taylor fully realizing herself as a supervillain for the greater good archetype, her death would have cheapened her growth as a tragic because she wouldn't have to live with the consequences of her actions, as it stands she gets to be an amalgam of Walter White and Rightclops, Peter Parker parallels aside.

>>45939655
That was pretty badass, but really cheapened indian dudes super-mega-deathlazer. Also that whole fight is sullied by behemoth jobbing like a bitch.

>>45939747
The writing style definitely goes through some rough patches in this arc, but overall I found it to be fairly solid, especially compared to trickster and monster-bitch angst. The armsmaster portions are admittedly clunky, but no more so than your average bat-wankery. And I like that leviathan is hyper-durable. For one, the end bringers are literally unstoppable as far as we know at that point, wouldn't do if chevalier could just lop him in half, and it adds weight to armsmasters actions. Also it gives more mystery to a being that already shouldn't exist. Like, if he's so dense how come he's not sinking through the earth? Made it seem like some kind of eldritch demi-god idk
>>
>>45939600
by the time the endbringers showed up i lost interest.

i liked Worm when it was street level and so on, then they kept upping the stakes and I had trouble just continuing to care.
>>
>>45939932
if you want a super bleak, down-and-more-down garbage story, just read Pact.
>>
>>45939892
She knew her power was to control and optimize groups and she knew that powers had artificial limits placed on them which had a physical center in the brain. Bonesaw monologued about that shit to her earlier on. And she didn't second trigger, she convinced Panacea to fuck with the limiter structure.
>>
>>45939892
>>45940003
Meant to say that the Khepri thing wasn't a second trigger. Knowing shed already triggered out wouldn't influence her thoughts on the viability of tampering with the limiter.
>>
>>45939932
To be fair, Slaughterhouse 9 were edgy tween stuff. And I know Jack's supposed to be Johnny Depp, but I kept picturing and voicing him with David Tennant, which honestly, helped.

>>45939892
She pretty much becomes the workaholic version of Batman toward the end. I did like her though, if only because she always got the short end of the stick and despite my complaints that the author has bouts of... immaturity/naivete, he depicted dumb authority figures REALLY well. Like, I've had bosses who behaved like Tagg.

>>45939959
I just assumed she wasn't in control by that point.
>>
>>45939999
>telling people to read Pact
>ever
Holy Shit anon have mercy. Pact is the reason I haven't even bothered reading his third serial.
>>
>>45940070
I've just finished Worm. I know Pact is his work after Worm, but otherwise, I have no idea what it is at all. At least with Worm, I knew it had to do with superheroes due to the cyoa on /tg/.

So, what's Pact aboot eh?
>>
>>45939959

This is just me, but I also don't find Taylor's powers to be very interesting. Like, it's not as bad as Touma's ability from To Aru, but it's an ability that has no reason to be considered especially unique or powerful.

I personally think that one of the Triumvirate or the Wards would be more interesting. It's mostly because Taylor seems to do whatever she wants and gets away with it.

Really, killing Alexandria was bullshit and should have been a reason for a summary execution.
>>
>>45939999
>>45940070
I specifically don't want bleak. I've been reading Practical Guide to Evil to scratch my young-woman-turns-into-well-intentioned-villain itch, and it's been way more satisfying.

How bad is Pact, if it's more depressing than Worm?
>>
>>45940107
Obnoxious modern fantasy people ruining each other's lives, tweeeeeeests, and spending too much time in the sewer dimension
>>
>>45940134
If you're willing to read about a young man turning into a well intentioned villain, I recommend Winter's Tale. The slow decent into fucked shit is really neat.
>>
>>45940123
I've actually thought about killing Alexandria, way before Taylor did. And yeah, that's the way I'd have gone and done it.

Otherwise, her powers are actually a bit too OP vs squishies, even without the super senses.

It's the super environmental awareness + hyper mega ultra multi tasking that push it from interesting and OP vs squishies to kinda lame because she's pretty much omniscient in her range.
>>
>>45940184
Who's the author?
>>
>>45939966
But it's a world where cosmic beings foster conflict through the gift of inter-dimensional, reality warping super powers as part of their reproduction cycle, how could it possibly stay street level?
>>
>>45939938
>they are a plot device that can only be killed by a plot device
Worm is kind of all about how that isn't actually true, though. They are insanely powerful but they are not invincible and have been driven off by run of the mill superheroes before. Behemoth seemed nearly killed by the time cannon in New Delhi. Simurgh or Khonsu would have probably been destroyed by it outright.
>>
>>45940134
Pact was too bleak for me to get far through it. Also basically every character is an asshole for little to no reason.
>>
>>45940214

The thing is that I'm really more of the 'cleverness usually doesn't matter when it comes to superpowers' unless your intelligence is SUPER-intelligence (i.e. your superpower).

It always seemed vaguely farcial to me that you can out-think a superhuman whose powers already defy the laws of physics. But then, I think only Uber really does this, where you simply can't do anything to an enhanced human unless you're also one.
>>
>>45940134
I honestly don't know how to answer this adequately without spoiling shit for you if youre the kind of masochist thatd wanna read it. Its a hell of a lot more tedious to read, though. Seriously, fuck the drains chapters. Green eyes is cool but holy fucking fuck the drains as a whole.
>>
>>45940123
ignoring the fact she experimented on people and the brass knew about it so they probably let her off light cause of that
>>
>>45940237
It's by the same author as Worm, right? I wonder if the guy has some kind of issues he's working through. I have a hard time believing someone would enjoy reading something so bleak, let alone writing it.
>>
>>45940107
Pact is basically your average GURPS: RPM game, though it does border on Mage the Ascension at times.
>>
>>45940215
Emrys Vaughn.
>>
>>45940250
Go ahead and spoil it, anon.
>>
>>45940257

Yeah, but if you killed Superman, one of the world's greatest heroes, I would still be immoderately pissed with you. It's like the Joker killed Batman and Commissioner Gordon while he was in custody. If I was a cop, I would just pump bullets into him as an extrajudicial killing.
>>
>>45940289
Taylor wasn't the joker though, she was well liked by the population of Brockton Bay even though she was a supervillain. If they executed her they'd have a really big fight on their hands.
>>
>>45940107
It's an urban-fantasy story about wizards in a different universe to Worm. One of its themes is that to get power, you have to trade something else to get it, and what you're willing to trade for that power.

Let's just say that where Worm was an upward spiral of serial escalation, Pact was a downward spiral as the protagonist gave things up and was worn down bit by bit.

>>45940070
You really should, mate. Twig is pretty awesome. The main character Sylvester's defining qualities are being a magnificent scheming bastard, and being utterly lousy in a fight (but pretty good at ambushes where he has time to set things up). There's also a really good teamwork dynamic at play right from the very beginning of the story.
>>
>>45940221
>driven off by run of the mill superheroes before
Only because they held back. They want to be worthy opponents, not undefeatable heralds of the apocalypse. They were pretending to be defeatable, otherwise nobody would bother actually fighting them.
>Behemoth seemed nearly killed by the time cannon in New Delhi.
At any point he could have just gone nuclear, killing everyone, if Scion wasn't there.

Point is, said plot device is the counter (Sting, psychological warfare, tinker Sting) to literal gods. The PCs have to acquire and use it to defeat them, they can't just keep punching them until they drop (which would happen if they had stats).
>>
>>45940215
Some dude who goes by Wildbow. I think he said he started Worm while still at school? In which case, it's actually a pretty impressive piece of work for his age.

>>45940217
By not having the Slaughterhouse 9? That arc with the tween edginess was painful to read, especially since I imagine I would have loved it if I was still at that stage.

>>45940248
Ah, I'm of the "creative use of powers" camp. Which makes characters like Lung annoying to me because seriously, why does no one just snipe him? Or attack him with full force? It's like everyone's got GokuVegeta Syndrome when it comes to Lung. I know they handwave it away, saying they've tried, but still...

>>45940257
The brass probably didn't know the full details, or if they did, they probably didn't care. They'd probably be fine with her being offed though, since it got her out of the way.
>>
>>45940289
Alexandria isn't Superman though. Unless you mean the Red Son version.
>>
>>45940378
Yea I hate the slaughterhouse nine, especially Jack. The things they did were so disgusting and abhorrent for no reason other than to be shocking.
>>
>>45940134
>I've been reading Practical Guide to Evil to scratch my young-woman-turns-into-well-intentioned-villain itch

this pushes all the right buttons.

I love you, Anon.
>>
>>45940284
Its basically a worm reskin in much of its tone and themes with the hopelessness cranked up and the cosmic puppeteers actively being malicious rather than just hungry space whales. The death and destruction seen in story is less wide-scale, but it focuses in on some people and goes hard. There isnt a multiverse to retreat into and its heavily implied that demons have eaten 99.99...%of everything in existence, but at least Earth is still in one piece if you don't squint at it. Then there's the tedium I mentioned. Wildbow hated fucking up the timeskip in worm, so in pact he went and dragged it so horribly slow. Really, the entire story can be summarized as an asshole old lady's insane plan to get her entire family killed in order to spite some demons, and then shit keeps escalating.
>>
>>45940322
Eh, they did a really blatant cover up where they said Chev and... someone else? Also participated.

Opinion on heroes was low at the time and the PRT/Protectorate are just plain incompetent by that point. They went from being well armed police officers in the earlier chapters to... well, kinda pointless.
>>
>>45940250
Green Eyes is the one likeable character besides Magz in that whole damn story.
>>
Would siberian be a plot device than? what with her near absolute invulnerability?
>>
>>45940488
She's a summon. Just kill the squishy dude who summoned her and she's gone.
>>
>>45940511
But her squishy has a magic van that can drive over the ruins that not even 4WD can!

But yeah, she's a plot device. She's Jack's plot armor/McGuffin.
>>
>>45940511
I know but how would a encounter go? it seems more like she would be a 'runaway or die'
>>
>>45940578
No, D&D killed her in like 5 minutes. Also D&D was one of the best things in worm.
>>
>>45940578
Yep. Stealth is very important versus her, so you can find her master.
>>
>>45940622
She is unkillable, you mean her creator/master right?
>>
>>45940622
Wait, what? I bailed out before this, there's a hero called D&D?
>>
>>45940657
acronym for dragon and defiant.
>>
>>45940657
Dragon and her partner Defiant, who she acquires about halfway through.

Dragon is the best thing about the serial.
>>
>>45940657
Yeah, D&Dragon.
>>
>>45940578
Pretty much. No one really knew her secret except for Jack, Bonesaw and probably Cauldron.
>>
>>45940674
>>45940678
>>45940679
Disappointing, I was hoping some ultra-nerd got Elf Wizard powers. Dragon was pretty neat, though.
>>
>>45940701
There's an actual group who are in a permanent state of LARP.

They treat their superpowers as magic and do rituals and stuff.
>>
>>45940642
Yea that's what I meant. Actually that'd make a great encounter, some kind of stealth summoner paired with an "invincible" boss.

I mean, the DM would prolly have to foreshadow it a bit, but the concepts interesting enough that I'd play it.

>>45940701
Defiant's speech about how he's different from mannequin was pretty cool too. And he showed improvement in the later chapters.
>>
>>45940735
>Yea that's what I meant. Actually that'd make a great encounter, some kind of stealth summoner paired with an "invincible" boss.
Demon's Souls kind of does that with Fools Idol.
>>
>>45940248

>But then, I think only Uber really does this, where you simply can't do anything to an German unless you're also one.

Fixed for you.
>>
>>45940700
Jack, Bonesaw, and Cauldron didn't know until the reveal happened in story. Maanton, the crazy bastard, was following the S9 around in a fucking van without them knowing who he was.
>>
>>45940070
Twig is way better than Pact IMO. Kinda sucks that Pact was garbage because it had a lot of interesting worldbuilding.
>>
>>45941015
I liked how the demons worked in it like, barbatorem or Urr that could pretty much retcon reality
>>
>>45941083
I also liked conquest and all the incarnations. Wish we got to see more of that.

Honestly I didn't dislike Pact that much until the end. I think Wildbow just wanted to get it over with and glossed over all the hanging plot threads.

To keep this from being irrelevant to /tg/, have any of you guys played Weaverdice? I've been thinking of running a session of it but im not sure how good it is.
>>
>>45941131
I enjoyed Pact until the pattern recognition kicked in and every other chapter I'd say to myself at the start "Time to get something cool / get utterly assraped by everything" and get it right.
>>
>>45941131
>To keep this from being irrelevant to /tg/, have any of you guys played Weaverdice? I've been thinking of running a session of it but im not sure how good it is.
I like some of the ideas behind it (like the fact that you collectively create characters and then randomly assign them to players), but I haven't tried it myself.

Wildbow himself GMs online sometimes and posts the sessions on reddit, too: https://www.reddit.com/r/Parahumans/comments/4747fl/wildbows_lausanne_rp_details_sessions_23_24/
>>
>>45938714

Well, it's... Leviathan shaped at least?

Otherwise that's both boring and nothing like the actual thing.
>>
>>45939732
seconded.
>>
>>45939781

Yeah, the dice rolling thing was pretty dumb. Wildbow even claims if Taylor had died from the dice, the story would have continued with another character.

As usual, die hard fans make it worse by thinking it was a genius innovation in realism.
>>
>>45941131
>To keep this from being irrelevant to /tg/, have any of you guys played Weaverdice? I've been thinking of running a session of it but im not sure how good it is.

It looks deliberately shoddy mechanically.
>>
>>45944253
The dice in general isn't too bad. But there's clearly some characters that should've been able to have plot armor in that case.
Thread replies: 94
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.