[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I've decided to design a setting and system that does
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5
File: image.jpg (34 KB, 450x300) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
34 KB, 450x300
So I've decided to design a setting and system that does not contain humans, earth like plants/animals, technology, or culture. It's going to be fantasy and begin from the ground up.

I'm beginning with the absolute basis. Planetary situation/environment. We're going to have it be on a moon orbiting a gas giant.

This is gonna take a while. So I'm gonna be at it for a few days. Start giving angry suggestions.
>>
File: bunbunsfin_by_hatter-d6jwezq.png (338 KB, 700x645) Image search: [Google]
bunbunsfin_by_hatter-d6jwezq.png
338 KB, 700x645
All of the world is populated by cute faerie animalpeople.
>>
>>45937118
Fuck that. That's not nearly alien enough. Fuck you for being an unimaginative shit stain.
>>
>>45937127

They are also all ghosts.
>>
>>45937170
You're taking this fucking lightly.
>>
That's a lot of work, good luck with all that.
The only I can think of right now is:
>Parasitic lifeforms/entities that bond with anything they can find
>There's no race like you can have in D&D for example, just creatures that are unique, they're abilities and appearance depends of the things they merged with, maybe even an elemental part to it?
Like something: This parasite is linked to a creature that hunts its food in a rocky environment. So it's a carnivorous being with a stony skin.
I realised as I wrote this that it sounds dumb, but fuck it, I didn't write it for nothing.
>>
>>45937099
More power to you, I love seeing settings filled with weird aliens. Are you going for pure science fiction, or something fantasy like, like Oddworld?
>>
>>45937177

So basically nature spirits?
>>
>>45937099
How the fuck are players gonna interact if there is literally nothing to get a grip? You better hire Herzog and Attemboroug to read all your shit, cause that is a fake documentary not a game.
>>
>>45937190
More like symbiot, but that's the idea. Thep layers would have a lot to do in char creation tho
>>
>>45937177
I'm writing up a few peliminary candidates:
>massive pre-fungal like spires that communicate through pheromones, and use parasitic sterile offspring to control mobile creatures
>have turf wars with others if their species with their parasite armies
>the sterile daughters are semi-independent but are beholden to their parent spire

Other idea:
>worm colonies that live as a collective until reaching maturity, during which a dominant personality survives
>create their own bodies to move in, mostly out of plant fiber
>comes in a shapes and sizes, one's body is a fashion statement as much as anything

Third thought:
>bulbous floating nomads, live in large groves of air borne plants in the low atmosphere
>extremely long lived, return to a polyp like state and return again after some time
>view other species as hasty, live lives in extremely long form problem solving
>>
>>45937099
Extremophile worms which form together to make colonies. Worms combining together in form drastically increases intelligence, so these colonies are actually sentient. Usually use things like rocks/trees/bones to wrap themselves around to aid the structure of the colony. If they are developed enough to smithy, then shaped armor.
>>
>>45937224
I don't like the floating nomads idea, but the rest seems interesting, but how would you make the 1st idea works with players in a coherent setting? The second one is neat, the building of the body could replace the gear equipment/management, I can see a lot of creative awesomness in it. A specie of scavenging little parasite, keeping their host barely alive and "upgrading" it to match their needs and desires until it becomes a force to be reckoned with.
>>
>>45937256
I want mga'lekgolo scum to leave.
>>
>>45937099
Ask yourself why you're doing this.
>>
>>45937099
I demand a satisfying explanation for why this moon isn't a barren rock.
>>
File: AllTomorrow.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
AllTomorrow.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>45937099
Somewhat relevant
>>
>>45937340
No. Best covenant race.
>>
A virtually indestructible amoeba race that regenerates themselves every five years, wiping their memories in the process. Record keeping is mandatory among their race, and they believe souls reside in books and have very strong opinions on book burning.
>>
>>45937099
A tumbleweed-like plant shaped like a massive arachnid, wherein the limbs are connected to joints, and the limbs themselves have wind-catching microperforations in them. The central 'body' of the plant contains the fluids it needs to survive, while having the bonus of giving it a minor amount of balance. They still fly all over the place during heavy winds.

Your players will be spooked when they first see one, and then feel like fools when it's literally just a plant being blown around by the breeze.
>>
>>45937118

I like this! Yeah, it's fantasy so who gives a crap about it being a moon of a gas giant or being alien enough or shit. If you want sci fi, do sci fi. If you want fantasy, then why bother with science crap at all?
>>
>>45937099
If you're going through the immense hassle of doing that, I'm assuming you're doing it just for the pleasure of worldbuilding rather than to catch the interest of most people, who'll just prefer something more relatable 99% of the time.

So why are you asking /tg/ for ideas?
That's like hiring a teacher to homeschool your kids. What's the fun if you're not shaping their worldview by relentlessly making shit up on your own?
>>
>>45937099
You're a vile idiot. Stop doing this you pretentious, shallow fucking cunt. It's really as simple as that.
>>
>>45937099

This is impossible. It's impossible to create something new without describing it in terms of things that Humans already know of.
>>
File: Mad.jpg (55 KB, 370x300) Image search: [Google]
Mad.jpg
55 KB, 370x300
>>45940067
Goddamn dude, what's your deal?
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.