[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Japanese RPGs?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 8
File: 290ff8468b9ed25adc99d38629d38752.jpg (858 KB, 1061x1500) Image search: [Google]
290ff8468b9ed25adc99d38629d38752.jpg
858 KB, 1061x1500
Sup /tg/, recently our gaming group split over the GM being all kinds of bullshit and the larger part came out to each other as more hardcore weebs than previously realized.

The new would be GM proposed Tenra Bansho Zero. My question is, what does the usual party and plot in that game look like?

Is it more like Serai no Moribito or Samurai Champloo, Storytimes appreciated. Thanks!

PS: What can you tell me about Ryuutama and other eleven RPGs?
>>
>>45937018
My Little Loli
>>
>>45937018
Tenra Bamsho Zero is a rather over the top setting dominated system, where you can be more monstrous for more power but grow ever more like an NPC. There's robot gunmen, alchemy dudes and other stuff that I can't remember off the top of my head.

It's very episodic, fast paced, intended to have one campaign a session or so, and you have a bunch of damage tracks that allow you to take more and more damage but also get more powerful until you choose to die; in a blaze of glory.

I've never actually played it, only skimmed the rules and thought it was cool.
>>
>>45937369
>intended to have one campaign a session or so,
Holy fuck what.
>>
>>45937807
Because of their long working hours the elevens don't have time for long campaigns, so their rpgs are designed around pick up and go one shots.
>>
someone once posted the rules for Night wizard, another japanese rpg. never tried it.
https://archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/44621828/
>>
File: TBZ007.png (255 KB, 438x470) Image search: [Google]
TBZ007.png
255 KB, 438x470
TBZ is a pretty great game if the players are prone to PVP, since character death is at the player's discretion.

When you take damage, you can either reduce your vitality and check off wound boxes equal to the amount of damage you took, or you can check off your "Dead" box.

Checking the "Dead" box doesn't kill your character automatically, but just means it's now possible that your character can be killed.

After "Dead" has been checked, your character dies if they run out of Vitality.

Normally, running out of vitality just knocks a character unconcious. Also, if you have take damage than you have vitality, you can just reduce your vitality to zero and leave the rest unaccounted for.

So this means if you have a That Guy with a penchant for killing PCs, they don't have to die until their player wants it to happen.

On the other hand, having your "Dead" box checked gives you a +3 dice bonus to all your rolls, so there's also that to consider, as well.

>also, "Centipedes? In MY vagina? It's more likely than you think!"
>>
>>45938631
Once you check the "dead" box, is that box checked permanently, or only until the end of the encounter?
>>
Figured this woudl be a good place to ask to avoid just throwing a new thread into the mix: What would one run SRW: Endless Frontier in?
>>
>>45937860

I remember a game starting short while after.
>>44631986
https://imgur.com/a/27vqz
>It is very weeb so far. Party consist of thus:

Killing Machine/Edge Master: Really the only adult in the party at 18. Spaniard foreigner guy from a family of demon killers who modify themselves to fight them. Kind of the black sheep in that he's a ridiculous goof-off and really laidback. Despite being an 'Edge' Master his Magic 'Sword' is actually a giant hammer he's made even more gigantic with certain skills. Has the second highest average attack, but can deal the most max damage with certain per-scene skills. The most normal member so far.

Killing Machine/Great One: 16 year old guy that modified himself to get revenge on Emulators for killing his sister, and then turned out to be a minor deity. His player plays him as pretty much a parody of your typical edgy protagonist. Has the most well-rounded stats/abilities but can do some broken stuff with Great One skills once per episode or so.

Taoist/Gunslinger: A super spiritual 17 year old guy who lived off in the mountains for 3 years under the guidance of his spiritual cowboy master 3 years prior to the campaign. Dual wields magic pistols and handles healing. Banters with the previous character a lot.

Werewolf/Werewolf: My character. Took Animal Wizard and is a talking cat. basically got changed by the same thing that changes Werebeasts, which gave her human intellect and a lot of physical power. Has a strong sense of responsibility but is also pretty haughty and lazy because cat. Despite being tiny and the only character with no weapon, does the highest average damage.

Returner/Broomman: A magic sword robot that is also somehow the reincarnation of a Knight of Camelot. His mechano heart is full of justice and is on a globetrotting quest to find the other Knights reincarnated into sword-bots to restore his ancient kingdom. Ridiculously good defenses.
>>
>>45938982
Until you get medical care, it can't be healed in the scene you take it though.

The anon also forgot to mention one thing about the dead box. Most wound boxes eat 1 point of damage. The dead box eats all incoming damage.

This means that if you take 20 damage because of a nova'd attack, you can check the dead box, get 3 extra dice to all actions, and try to fight back.
>>
TBZ is painted in incredibly broad strokes with essentially no prewritten locations. It's going to be on your GM to give any area its own feel, culture, or even local important NPCs.

Because it's so open-ended, it's also going to be on your GM to lay down hard rules on what archetypes are allowed or not. Or he can go with whatever! Is someone allowed to be an Armor Rider? An Ayakashi?

The EXP system also needs to be heavily rejiggered for campaigns longer than a damn afternoon. Because it's intended for short form, it's pretty generous with giving you chits, and on top of that, you get to start out at anywhere between 1 and 108 EXP spent, and just a difference of 30 exp can make someone astoundingly more powerful than someone else.

So yeah, before going in, you need to make sure that as a group you do some real heavy communicating about everyones expectations and how it's gonna go, or it's going to crash and burn really hard.
>>
>>45937018
Why is she dressed up as candy?
>>
File: TBZ001.png (482 KB, 441x683) Image search: [Google]
TBZ001.png
482 KB, 441x683
>>45940733
>The anon also forgot to mention one thing about the dead box. Most wound boxes eat 1 point of damage. The dead box eats all incoming damage.
I kind of implied that with how I worded the explanation.
>check off wound boxes equal to the amount of damage you took
>or you can check off your "Dead" box

But at any rate, that's a concept I usually have trouble explaining anyways.

I find TBZ to be most fun when it's played cradle to grave in one session: the GM gives a rough idea of what they have in mind, and everybody makes their character's at the same time.

The other thing about this game is that there's no private information. What your character's motivations are is known to everybody at the table.

The reason for that is that if you play up to your character's motivations, especially in an entertaining matter, the other players award you with "Aiki" chits.

Those can be used to force other characters into a scene and other means of influencing the story.

Or you can use them to roll to gain "Kiai," which is akin to experience or "fate" points in other games.

So yes, you CAN be the biggest bad-ass in the room as far as stats go, but the tiny runt that wins over the crowd is going to quickly surpass you if you're not an interesting character.

>my stomach is killing me
>>
>>45937018
What about Double Cross, which is basically Prototype the game.
>>
>>45944056
Do you have a problem with wanting to lick her thighs?
>>
>>45948245
I wouldn't call that a problem.
>>
>>45944056
Because she is eye candy.
>>
>>45944604
>The reason for that is that if you play up to your character's motivations, especially in an entertaining matter, the other players award you with "Aiki" chits.
Sounds like highschool acting club.
>>
The Imperial Treasure Chest (aka the Mega Archive. Because it's an archive. On Mega. Yep): https://mega.nz/#F!KA1DHRRL!MGkoDoBdnehHG7D2iXOwXQ

NEWLY ADDED: Kantai Kollection RPG, Ryuutama HD Japanese scan.

Gamefinder & general chatroom (get the standalone application)
discord.me/jttrpg
>Games currently looking for players:
>RYUUTAMA

ATTENTION: The Treasure Chest is now experimentally accepting submissions of Actual Plays.

Formats:
TEXT:
PDF, HTML, TXT

VOICE:
Opus, AAC, OGG.

Currently scanning Alshard GAIA.
>>
File: DX007.png (594 KB, 467x680) Image search: [Google]
DX007.png
594 KB, 467x680
>>45946804
It always ended up like Persona when I played it.

A bulk of the game is powers, which typically amount to "how can you make things dead or avoid being made dead?"

You also have a stat called "Encroachment Rate," which is a measure of how close you are to becoming a monster. Every time you use your powers or show up in a scene, it raises.

That last part, showing up in scenes, is kind of insurance against players who like having their character show up in scenes only to do nothing; if your encroachment rate is too high at the end of the game, they become an NPC to be used by the GM later.

At the end of the session, though, you get a chance to lower it based on how many "Loises" your character has acquired. A Lois is basically another character that your character feels a connection to, and yes, they're named after Lois Lane.

So if you show up in a scene, it's in your best interest to either advance the plot, or interact with NPCs to get Loises.

>Fluffkin and Edgelord make DX characters
>>
>>45952258
Loises are a godlike mechanic.
>>
>>45954391
They beat the pants off of most every connection mechanic I've seen in games. The bad thing is they aren't balanced if you add T-Louises or play your character like some kind of asshole kamikaze.

TBZ is a beautiful disaster OP, so you either need to have strict rules on what archetypes are allowed and how much EXP you can spend or just say fuck it and go full RIFTS. And TBZ is more Horizon or Samurai 7 than either of the games you mentioned. You can have a dude with a giant MonHan gunblade that is enchanted with spirits, an awakened combat cyborg powered by a forsaken child, Zouken Matou, an Evangelion in all but name and a punk rock samurai in the same party.

If your DM was a shitter, Ryuutama might be something nice and comfy.
>>
>>45954391
When I ran DX, my players absolutely hated having their Encroach raise for appearing in a scene, and absolutely refused to flip Loises into Tituses. They wanted all the Loises so they could make sure they were back under 100 Encroach. Not sure if players weren't into the system or the GM was just shit.
>>
>>45956459
>They beat the pants off of most every connection mechanic I've seen in games.
Take Golden Sky Stories out for a spin.
>>
File: GSS.png (3 MB, 1536x1152) Image search: [Google]
GSS.png
3 MB, 1536x1152
>>45956508
The only thing bad about losing your character is that the GM can sic them on you later.

That and you need to remake your character.

By RAW, you get back all the XP you spent on characters you lose that way, and XP you earn is given to you as the player, not to your characters.

So they either didn't have a GM that explained everything to them, their GM would call them into pointless scenes, or they were just a bunch of crybabies that couldn't handle anything bad happening.

>>45956459
As >>45956907 said:
>Take Golden Sky Stories out for a spin.
The meat of the game IS the connection mechanic, since without it nothing else is possible.

My only qualm with GSS is the lack of dice, and that some of the Kickstart Supplements are..."special."

>we comfy now
>>
>>45957516
Well, there's the whole 'losing the character and what relations they had with the party/plot' thing as well, that's not fun
>>
File: DX008.png (605 KB, 467x679) Image search: [Google]
DX008.png
605 KB, 467x679
>>45957545
Ah, yeah. That's not something I'm usually concerned about, so it slipped my mind.

It's generally pretty hard to lose your character if you don't go shitting up your relationships with abso-freaking-lutely everybody, though; especially if the GM makes it so every scene somehow advances the plot or gives the player a chances to gain new Loises.

Another thing, by RAI I think, is that converting a Lois into a Titus ruins that relationship; you can NEVER have them as a Lois again. So doing that constantly is a bad idea.

>Well I GUESS you can make a dress out of the curtains
>>
>>45957629
The games I've played have unfortunately had few opportunities for lois gain, despite player effort - it just doesn't happen, so most of the time it's just the default loises. And there wasn't much 'choosing' to enter or not, you just...did and bam1d10 enchroach
Thankfully there was usually only one fight per scenario or we'd all be screwed over every time. Needless to say, nobody ever used a titus.
>>
>>45957516
>some of the Kickstart Supplements are..."special."
Like what? Do you mean the Brony-bait splat/class?
>>
File: GOD IS DEAD AND WE KILLED HIM.png (419 KB, 900x640) Image search: [Google]
GOD IS DEAD AND WE KILLED HIM.png
419 KB, 900x640
>>45957727
I've only ever GM'd games of Double Cross, and the second time around, I made it a point that if the players enter a scene, there will be either a named NPC for them to take as a Lois should they choose, or something that gives them a clue as to what they should do next.

Granted, I also don't hold their fucking hands and tell them to take them as a Lois every time I put such an NPC in the scene. Usually the first scene or two they're in I'll tell them they can, and remind them they can ask me if they want to take certain NPCs as a Lois.

So far, they never do. Because my players are idiots.

Also, I usually design scenes to be for one or two player characters. By RAW, the players are allowed to enter any scene they want, pending GM permission.

Double Cross seems to be meant to be played in a very structured manner; reading the pre-made scenarios kind of helped me put together how the game was originally meant to be run.

>>45958274
The very one.

>my pony power is that it hurts to live
>>
>>45939209
>SRW: Endless Frontier
Battle Century G
>>
>>45958430
>Double Cross seems to be meant to be played in a very structured manner; reading the pre-made scenarios kind of helped me put together how the game was originally meant to be run.
That's most nip RPGs excluding GSS and Ryuutama.
>>
>>45937018
>Ryuutama
does some strange things on the GM side, and is aimed to children noobs. I can be played by more veteran players too (with some tweaks) and have a nice crystal chronicles feel.

To play animebased games I highly recommend OVA: classless, rules light to medium and suports all genres.
>>
File: Tinkers Damn.jpg (2 MB, 2500x3268) Image search: [Google]
Tinkers Damn.jpg
2 MB, 2500x3268
>>45960318
OVA has the same sort of problems that any generic, classless game does: after awhile, everything feels the same.

But damn it, if I'm going to play a generic, classless, rules-lite game, it'll probably be OVA.

>pictured: the absolute worst anime-based game I've ever seen
>>
>>45960453
I agree in part. It feel the same if you play samey settings or to much games.
For ocasional play of that anime of the month, a nostalgia ride or a slice of live, in my opinion it's a really good choice.
When I have some sparing time and finally hook my friends play rpgs again I'm planning on making a digimon game using OVA.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.