[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you make plant based races interesting and not just green
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 7
How do you make plant based races interesting and not just green humanoids /tg/?
>>
bump for curiosity
>>
>>45935678
I've always wanted to see a type of plant people that are pretty much giant living buildings.
A single tree could have a number of growths so its mind is a entire forest. It cultivates the plants and animals like a farmer or shepherd.
People may treat the forest as a god, they hear it whisper to them in the wind and it tells them when the mushrooms are blooming or when the herds need trimming.

But nope it's just Larry the old tree in the middle of the woods doing his thing for generations.
>>
File: 1431009831886.jpg (164 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
1431009831886.jpg
164 KB, 1280x960
Choose a different body plan besides humanoid.
>>
Trees naturally don't go anywhere, make treepeople sedentary and discourage/look down upon nomads. By nature, plants grow roots in ways similar to how predatory animals hunt (quick, jerky movements in relative to its normal movement/growth), so giving them that masquerade of slow, dullen movement works to their advantage both in combat and in society amongst other races. Cunning, territorial folk who'd rather burst into flames upon death than let their enemies have the last laugh.

Also, their rite of passage is the equivalent of kicking their children out of the crib, usually via wind. YFW ents shoot their kids out of trebuchets or catapults.
>>
File: 1456044192628.jpg (116 KB, 1024x1110) Image search: [Google]
1456044192628.jpg
116 KB, 1024x1110
>>45935857
>>
>>45935857
this is quite brilliant except the eye makes it too animal.
>>
File: 1431009648079.jpg (68 KB, 1024x512) Image search: [Google]
1431009648079.jpg
68 KB, 1024x512
>>45935924
Why wouldn't a race of mobile plants develop eyes?
>>
>>45935948
No reason. I guess I figure that something along the line of feelers would be more appropriate. Seems like less of an evolutionary leap.
>>
File: 1431003846552.jpg (99 KB, 540x810) Image search: [Google]
1431003846552.jpg
99 KB, 540x810
>>45936016
>>
>>45936016
Considering that plants can already sense light, I don't think it would be hard to adapt that to make something similar to eyes.
>>
File: NUi3pbP.gif?noredirect.gif (2 MB, 300x200) Image search: [Google]
NUi3pbP.gif?noredirect.gif
2 MB, 300x200
>>45936393
I can't really think of anything they'd really need traditional vision for.

Plus evolving without eyes makes them less humanized.
>>
File: Scallop_eyes.jpg (48 KB, 796x512) Image search: [Google]
Scallop_eyes.jpg
48 KB, 796x512
>>45936427

Could go in the opposite direction and have bizarre eye morphology like molluscs.
>>
>>45935678
>superior squatting slav plant race
>>
>>45936695
squatting and drinking
>>
>>45935678

I think the question you have to answer is why does a plant need to become intelligent, either evolutionarily, or in fantastic settings, mystically. Say we take the sci-fi path and not the A Wizard Did It; maybe their home is dominated by mobile planimals due to having a very long day-night cycle or something. If they have to eat like carnivorous plants to get nutrients because they can't put roots down, predatory behavior might be an impetus for intelligence. Or maybe there are psychosocial aspects to the species' mating behavior that make intelligence an advantage. Anyways, I think most of what you need falls out of your answer to this.
>>
>>45935678
>slow metabolism
plants live long, and barely experience the flow of time, they move and talk very slowly
>photo-synthesis
they do not require anything but the minerals they can obtain in the ground, water and sunlight, and so have little reason to move or do anything unless sun, water, earth disappears from where they are
>plants are fuel, medicine and food to others
They are absolutely retardedly xenophobic, as almost every fucking living creature in the world wants to eat them, use them for industrial manufacture of clothes, medicines, even firewood, building materials, and so hate everyone who is not plant and this is their prime reason for developing weapon technology and warring.
>>
>>45936471
Never even knew molluscs had eyes.

I thought they just kind of attached to something, ate, pooped, and died.
>>
>>45938091
Scallops have developed eyes as they are a mobile species of bivalve.
Snails and cephalopds are also molluscs.
>>
>>45938091

Cephalopod eyes are in a lot of ways superior in design to our own.
>>
>>45938664
How so?
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.