[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So /tg/, what's the best system for roll playing To be
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (87 KB, 532x688) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
87 KB, 532x688
So /tg/, what's the best system for roll playing

To be more specific, what's the best system to run a game that is non-existent outside of combat, with the possible exception of downtime bonuses that precise some kind of mechanical character bonus. A system that focuses on "Effect first", instead of "fluff first".

My group has been playing Gamma World for this, but it's gotten unbelievably stale. What others would be good for that?
>>
>>45923290
D&D
>>
>>45923436

/thread
>>
>>45923436
Not really. For most editions, the game does not work well as a roll playing game, as a classes out of combat ability is weighed against their in combat ability. Removing all the out of combat aspects of the game would leave the system severely crippled.

DnD is pretty terrible for generic hack and slash
>>
>>45923754
>out of combat abilities
so tou mean a couple of skills and the ranger?
>>
>>45923290

For fantasy, maybe d&d 4e? It's very much intended to run like an SRPG. All your class abilities are geared around combat and performing specific tactical strategies.

Any sort of war game would also do. As would GURPS if you run the combats with all the tactical rules and informed the players ahead of time that non-combat skills are largely useless.
>>
>>45923290
Iron Kingdoms, the Warmachine RPG, functions almost exactly like the tabletop war game. So, you might want to give that a look.
>>
>>45923894
>a couple skills
You mean ALL skills?
>>
Probably a war game. Or you could just run an all-caster party in 3.pf at level 7 inside the world's largest dungeon. Or you could stop being an autistic fuckwit and play a video game.
>>
File: image.jpg (33 KB, 500x278) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
33 KB, 500x278
>>45924366
>>
>>45923290
Hack master might fill what you are looking for.
>>
>>45924892
>I roll to kill the monster
>>Try again
>>>x6
>>You kill the monster
>Loot time!
>>You find X, Y, but Z was destroyed in the battle.
>Lets find another thing to kill
>>You find another monster
>>>>repeat ad infinitum.
>>
>>45925090
Honestly you must have no imagination to think this would not be fun.
>>
>>45925090
>players only have 1 attack
>only fight 1 monster at a time
Ah, found the problem, anon. Maybe you would have more fun if you didn't play like an autistic retard.
>>
>>45925362
How does an autistic retard learn to play as anything other than an autistic retard?
Does it involve training them with a spray bottle like a cat?
>>
>>45923290
Rolemaster
>>
>>45923290
http://www.animaprimerpg.com/main/
Anima prime has small bonuses between combat sections where you can roleplay to get a small bonus, but it is HARDLY required.

Other than that, it is super flexible in combat, and has a really cool 'achievement' system where you can add features to the battlefield that either side can active by successfully triggering the event for it. There are also party specific achievements, which can be added as part of the fight.

For example, a fight against a dragon could have an achievement of damaging its protective scales, so you would waste a turn doing that instead of an attack, but would reduce its defense for the rest of the fight in doing so.
>>
>>45923290
Strike!

It's basically 4e with all the noncombat stuff shaved off and the combat stuff simplified so that people are free to do whatever they want to outside of combat.
>>
>>45925722
Stop shilling Strike!

Why does /tg/ keep shilling Strike!?
>>
>>45923436
Maybe 4e but there are a lot of noncombat abilities for non fighters in 3.5 and 5e. 2e has a tonne of of them as well.
>>
>>45925865
Cause it's fun

Although that doesn't answer anything actually, because /tg/ hates fun
>>
>>45925865
Because a few guys were involved with it and cannot stop shilling in the vain hope of it selling more than ten copies.
>>
>>45924190
I thought everything but spells was pointless.
>>
>>45923290
Do you want roleplaying inside your combats? Or are we talking about more of campaign composed of boardgames?

If the latter, there's things like Descent, Mage Knight, Talisman, and so forth. Unfortunately this entire genre is composed of games that are terrible and games I've never played, so I can't give any recommendations (not Talisman). Catacombs is technically in the "games I haven't played" category but I'm still willing to bet its gimmick makes everything better.

Ghost Stories is a co-op board game where you're a bunch of kung-fu monks fending a town from ghosts, and it's excellently paced and fun. Might be something you like. But not a long-form game.
>>
>>45923754
>DnD is pretty terrible for generic hack and slash
DnD is pretty terrible for just about everything. It is to rpgs what Twinkies are to food. Fails to satisfy under basically all circumstances, yet remains inexplicably popular.
>>
>>45923290
If you want breezy, cinematic combat, Savage Worlds.

If you want "simulationist" combat, GURPS.
>>
>>45926124
My issue with board games like that, is that they typically lack the same levels of customization, advancement, and persistence that make RPGs interesting. I want something that plays out like a board game, with clearly defined rules related to the objective, rewarding things like strategy, and build optimization, but while still retaining the robust options of RPGs, without the actual roleplaying bits.

As mentioned by a few others, Dungeons and Dragons is actually not very good at that. It's mechanics are actually pretty deep seated in roleplaying. Gamma World had its roleplaying aspects simplified enough to be completely a non-issue, but WotC ended up treating it more like a gimmick system than an actual product line, so it got old fast.

There was a game on Kickstarter called Gloomhaven, which seemed to be slightly more to the board gaming side of the spectrum, but close to what I'm looking for. However it's not actually out yet.
>>
>>45923290
HERO System?
It's pretty much the epitome of "effect-based"
>>
>>45926571
I believe Descent, Mage Knight, and Catacombs all have customization and advancement.
>>
>>45923290
I think 5e is alright for a combat focused game

infinite cantrips

I DM a group and one of the players role plays like a fool, "I take out my dong"

so I just throw them into encounters constantly so I don't have to deal with them roleplaying.
>>
>>45923290
Real life is the best system for role playing. Although it has some limitations, and sometimes the rolls really suck, and there is literally nothing you can do about it. Real life's GM is also pure fedora
>>
>>45923754
I don't think anyone would really suffer for a lack of non-combat encounters aside from rogues really, and you could still use traps for what the OP is talking about which sort of fixes that one. Since knowledge checks are used for enemy information I think mostly just charisma skills and some int ones get kind of fucked over
>>
>>45926571
Descent has campaign rules that allow you to play chained scenarios and keep a bit of progression. Only down time is between scenarios when you do shopping and the like.
>>
>>45926571
There's also systems which are more like skirmish wargames crossed with PnP RPGs. I'm looking at Pulp Alley and 7TV for a pulpy campaign later this year, but there's plenty of others.

PA and 7TV in particular have these mechanics which reflect their roots in another medium/genre (pulp adventure films and campy '70s tv shows), so the flavour all comes through the way you play rather than an obstacle between battles.
>>
File: animu girl distraught_1.jpg (121 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
animu girl distraught_1.jpg
121 KB, 1280x720
>>45923290

>The false dichotomy between roleplay and rollplay meme
>>
>>45923290
VTNL is the exteme end of what you're looking for.
>>
>>45934866
Can't roll play if when you roll you full noob die drop.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.