[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/40krpg/ - 40k RPG General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 47
File: astropath.jpg (36 KB, 319x449) Image search: [Google]
astropath.jpg
36 KB, 319x449
>Dumb questions about psykers edition

For all your questions on Dark Heresy (1st and 2nd Editions), Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Black Crusade, and Only War.

Book Repositories (mega is more comprehensive and up to date)
https://mega.nz/#F!Pl0UgbJa!vDtTXMKnvZ26fUbuw4X9tg
Shield of Humanity PDF
https://mega.nz/#!xlRWBaiI!MmOEkMse0wHVsyLDGbZJVGUXgVEuB9lWSyVl6ZhvgGM

Enemies Without:
https://my.mixtape.moe/jbsyqt.pdf

40K RPG tools, a site that contains stats or references for almost all weapons, armour and NPCs/adverseries. Not updated past DH2 core.
http://www.40krpgtools.com/

40k RPG Combined Armory (v5.43.150418), containing every piece of gear in all five lines. Not updated with any DH2 content.
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/i3akv9qx9q05z

Fear and Loathing (Ver 1.5.2) and The Fringe is Yours (Ver 1.6.0), /tg/ made Rogue Trader homebrew supplements for playable xenos, Knights, Horus Heresy gear, and other things
http://www.mediafire.com/view/kpl4pvkdiidvg6n/Fear_and_Loathing.pdf
http://www.mediafire.com/download/2zfoc5jo7s7vrb5/The_Fringe_is_Yours.pdf

>Previous thread
>>45827078
>>
What are some of the best powers in DH2e for an investigation/social focused pauper? Combat isn't her focus but not being completely incompetent might be nice.
>>
>>45914374

>pauper

Fucking autocorrect. Psyker.
>>
Copypasting this from the 40k general, figure I'll get better results here:

What sort of accent would someone from Sepheris Secundus have? My first thought was Russian, but there's quite a few planets in the 40k setting that fit the role of Space Russian way better than Seph Sec.
>>
>>45914374
Telepathy sounds like a good bet. A decent way to interrogate people, and it has combat uses, too. "You there, shoot your friend in the face!" never stops being hilarious.
>>
>>45914374
divination so they can figure out out to manage their investments and stop being a pauper
>>
File: 1454592479054.jpg (100 KB, 800x1128) Image search: [Google]
1454592479054.jpg
100 KB, 800x1128
I just rolled up a new priest character for DH2 Shrine World (Ossuar), Adeptus Ministorum and Hierophant. What you would expect from a fanatical priest. I Intend to equip him with Brazier of Holy Fire and a side arm of some kind. My party's Willpower is pretty shit and anything with a Baleful Presence fucks us, so I intend to him to be the inspiring, near mad in the face of danger priest that keeps the rest of them in line with speeches and faith Gonna be doing a lot of support when shit hits the fan. He also thinks he hears the Emperor's voice when high on shrooms, which he usually is when fighting,

Now that I told a little about him, my problem is that I have no idea how to dress him. I would like to avoid the typical robes. I'm torn between almost no armor and protective fields or going pic related.

Which would be better as an inspiring beacon of the Emperor in your opinion?
>>
>>45915217
Warrior Priest. Thick robes which are dramatically torn off at the first sign of battle.
>>
I've written up a 3rd attempt at my Ordo Hereticus' Psyker Inquisitor's backstory

http://pastebin.com/7ZjbQbSH

It could use some editing, but the Hemingway app gives it a fail score of only 5, so it can't be that bad in terms of readability.

Where I am an really struggling and would like advice is for what kinds of things might an acolyte or interrogator of an inquisitor do to rise to the rank of inquisitor? In the eyes of the Inquisition, being clever, loyal, willful, and showing initiative, is really only enough to rise above the rank of "disposable tool."

Another anon in the previous thread suggested political savvy which I like the idea of a lot, but surely an inquisitor isn't just all talk and has some actual achievement under their belt before being granted the title and authority?

>>45915217
Similar to that, but shirtless when altered. In his mind he has the Emperor's personal protection, why would he need armor?

essentially what this anon said:
>>45915376

If you need a 28mm model for him, kitbash it from an AoS Empire Flagellant, an AoS Chaos Marauder, and some 40k space marine accessories
>>
So, I'm looking at starting a game wherein the players are part of an AdMech Explorator expedition, should I look at Dark Heresy or Rogue Trader?
>>
>>45915525
this doesn't answer you question, but I always thought a game where the players are explorers, either as servants of Mars or as servants of an Inquisitor of the Ordo Astra, would be cool. They would explore new star systems and worlds, or revisit ancient systems and see what's changed to keep the charts up to date and/or collect ancient xenotech.

It'd present a lot of opportunity for adventure.
>>
>>45915217
Emps wore some bitchin' armor in the day, pic related is good.
>>
>>45915589
Indeed, and since two of my players have stated they want to play tech-priests, the direction is an easy one, but the question becomes which system would be better for it?
>>
>>45915525
Yes, Dark Heresy and Rogue Trader is probably your best bet.
Just remember that stuff from Rogue trader is meant for characters stronger than those in DH

Are the players laso going to be AdMech or are they gonna be a support staff of guys with differen miscellanious rolls ?
>>
File: 1454541270945.jpg (47 KB, 500x400) Image search: [Google]
1454541270945.jpg
47 KB, 500x400
>>45915525
It'll take some fiddling, but I would suggest jamming Rogue Trader together with the Dark Heresy supplement "The Lathe Worlds". It's basically a Techpriest extravaganza, with tons of gear, alternate career ranks and new talents and such.
I'd use RT as the base game, as it has ship combat and large scale resource management built in to it, but then tack on the Lathe Worlds material you like and possibly allow appropriately ranked Dark Heresy characters into the party.
Be warned though, Lathe Worlds has a lot of highly OP material, so you're likely to wind up with unstoppable super-cyborgs for PCs without even trying.
>>
Could you share short entertaining stories from your games?
Something silly, ironic and funny.
>>
>>45917467
There was one time I double-bluffed someone with a Shell-Game, leading them to run into a shuttle full of explosives.

Man that was cathartic.
>>
>>45917467
Best thing I've got is how my Arbites began hating fire.

Had a firefight with a few gangers in the underhive. Shots were exchanged, we were moderately successful and hadn't taken too much damage (having an assassin that refuse to miss and often hits the head helps), and in the end there was only a lone ganger left, somewhere behind a corner. I catiously advance with an appropriated autogun, ready to lay down a hail of fire if he shows himself. As I get close to the corner, I rush it (hoping that he's left), only to encounter him at point blank range with a molotov in hand. I get to act first, and manage to squeeze of a good full auto burst into his chest. He's dead as he hits the floor, but the molotov (as well as a few extra he had on him) goes foof. Combat over, and an arbites that desperately tries to remain calm and do something about the fact that he's covered in flammable liquid and flames.

Thaknfully, I lived (barely got into negatives), but was a short jog from fainting of exhaustion. Thankfully, we haven't encountered much flame weapons since then (aside from aforesaid assassin putting peoples heads on fire with a long-las). I do know that if we do, it's kneecapping time.
>>
>>45917467
My party once ended up facing a guy noble who was secretly profiteering from running a hive gang. He had power armor. My arbites circled behind him, rolled athletics to climb the armor's back, and dropped a frag grenade into the collar of the suit. Because cool guys don't wear helmets, the noble's head was no more.
>>
Which game would you recommend for a group that is new to both 40k, and RPGs in general?
>>
>>45920397
Dark Heresy for the latter, Only War for the former. Probably DH again for both.
>>
>>45917467
Once during Black Crusade decided to fake a report to Administratum regarding their revolt to get someone to show up and kill another player who was attempting a coup against him.

He ended up bringing half a returning crusade fleet down on all their heads.
>>
Are 1st edition DH splats compatible with 2nd edition?
>>
>>45921754
With tweaking on the mechanical side of things, yes.
>>
I'm surprised there isn't a wired reflexes equivalent
>>
>>45922037
I'm not.
Such a thing has never really existed in 40K.
The combat system isn't built that way.
And (much like Wired Reflexes) it would become almost mandatory for combatants.

FFG aren't quite that stupid.
>>
>>45922824
And there is also the Paranoia and Lightning Reflexes talent anyways.
>>
>>45917467
It's not funny, but my feral world dude managed to distract an entire hunting party seeking out my warband in a blizzard alone with a combination of fire arrows and brutal kunnin'.
The bestial trait tendency to stampede is glorious when you can use it against your enemies.
Now for funny:
>feral world psyker, big dude, coal black with long red hair
>lured into a trap on the second floor of a inn
>tried to mindfuck someone, rolled perils
>psyker shock
>explode with lightning, killing the guys who lured us into the trap, left naked, bald, and smoking in a heap
>friend tries to rescue us, pulls a cart up to the building
>everyone jumps into the cart
>I jump last
>use Impel to throw back the last foe coming up, roll perils again
>RAININ' BLOOD, FROM THE LACERATED SKY
>jump out window
>yell PENIS DIVE
>land on top of the sororita
>ride away
>tell her it's custom that she cook me a meal before coitus
>get punched
>it's okay
>the exact same thing happens 5 sessions later, with howling wind instead of bloody rain
>ask where is my sandwich
>knocked out this time
I miss Becca, she was a bro, and also the sole survivor of the campaign alongside me.
>>
Since weapons with the warp weapon quality ignore AP except for when it is otherwise warded, would killing a space marine in armor with only weapons with the warp weapon quality keep the armor pristine save for all the blood and stuff on the inside?
>>
Alright, more adventures from Larl of Jenkin, brutally kunnin' feral worlder on the planet of Drega III!
Now, the thunderspeaker (techpriest who is actually a heretek) Davrus has dun goofed, planned to wreck the level of the hive we are on, then got caught hacking for shit that he ought not know.
He was brought down by a combat servitor, and woke up in the hands of the head of the Gladsheim Hive Sentries. Then we find out not only is he a psyker, he is in league with the cultists I and Hector, the IG lieutenant recently assigned to us, had to hack thru to rescue Ecthelia, the sororita of our warband they had captured when she went with the Sentries to check out an old mechanicus drilling platform. So now this heretic knows the Inquisition is here (because Davrus had our vox set on our frequency), told us to fuck off, and attempted to interrogate Davrus, finding out the names of the entire warband. I borrowed a vox and told our boss shit was fubar, and was told to retrieve Dravrus, dead or alive, and resolve the situation before the hammer was dropped on EVERYONE, ourselves included, within 24 hours.
>fucking 'ell
We responded by going to the head noble of the area, dropped the =][= card, and now have 40 armed troops on the way to deal with the fucker. I am livid that not only did the other members of the warband in the area not prevent Davrus' outrageous plan, but that my plan to hunt down and murder the cult leader in the underhive is permanently hijacked because ANOTHER person decided to get themselves captured, making my Emperor appointed duty of the sword (literally) and shield (figuratively) of this warband more difficult than it needs to be. Throning eggheads, right?
So now, the plans are:
Ecthelia and Hector incite the masses to riot, screaming that the head of the hated Sentries is a heretic, and that the Emperor demands they bring him to justice.
>cont
>>
>>45926252
>cont
Renee, the fallen noble headhunter with the sizable rack (her words) and barren womb (my words), coordinates with the noble's troops to mobilize for war.
Gralene, the mousy adept who is smart but not too wise, is going to disable the power to the entire garrison before taking point on a building with a longlas to give me instructions via microbead.
And I, Larl of Jenkin, sole survivor of Destru's Demons, wolf of the Fenris Fangs, slayer of Chaos spawn, is going to sneak in to the garrison with a big sword, a little sword, 2 guns, a bow, and as many grenades as I can carry, murder my way up to the thunderspeaker, rescue him, and if I can, find the captain and shank his ass stone dead, cut off his ear to add to the rest, cut out his heart, and set his corpse on fire before throwing it out a window. Or after. Depends on my mood.
I asked last time for you bastards to give me odds of success, so I'll do it again.
?/10 Tactical Genius
?/10 Survival Odds
?/10 Brass Balls
Hit me.
>>
>>45920477

Would you recommend 1e or 2e for Dark Heresy for people who are new to both 40k and RPGs? Not the same Anon but I was thinking about getting Deathwatch and using it for people who are new as well as for people who are veterans. How else to entice people into playing a RPG than describing playing as a Space Marine?
>>
>>45915217
Heavy armor with holy embloms and symbols carved into it that he hides under cemeroial robes
>>
>>45926019
>Since weapons with the warp weapon quality ignore AP except for when it is otherwise warded, would killing a space marine in armor with only weapons with the warp weapon quality keep the armor pristine save for all the blood and stuff on the inside?
>anything touching warp
>pristine
there is a power armour history which grants you 10 corruption points at chargen and is described the suit was bathed in the light of the warp because of reasons.
with that in mind, purification exists as a service, but god forbid you asking ministorum to cleanse astartes armour for personal use
>>
>>45929084
Pretty sure even if he could, it would be impossible due to not having the Black Carapace or the physique
>>
File: 1409366325988.gif (2 MB, 250x220) Image search: [Google]
1409366325988.gif
2 MB, 250x220
>>45917467
>Deathwatch
>High risk-high reward stealth mission to sabotage important Tau research facility
>"Stealth is essential, intelligence indicates entire cadre on standby off-site and you will be instantly swamped if discovered"
>Teamleader: "How much requistion does laud hailer cost?"
>>
>>45929145
well, there's also sale, retrofitting and daemonic pacts.
>>
>>45929149
I like how this guy thinks.
>>
>>45929149
A+ Alpha leigion pretending to be a regular marine
>>
>>45916856
If you actually up the pen of higher end weapons to reflect the tabletop, you'll find they aren't so unstoppable.
>>
>>45929084
>>45929145
Well, the question was made with Black Crusade in mind.
>>
Does Proven work on bonus die from Accuracy?
>>
>>45930954
Sure.
>>
Something I've been wondering about for a while in DH2... The Heretek gets a Tech Use bonus when dealing with "unfamiliar" devices if they have an applicable Forbidden Lore, what the fuck does "unfamiliar" mean in this context though?

If you succeed on identifying a device does that make it "familiar"? Or is it when you've studied it enough to know how to take it apart and put it together blindfolded? When you've been around it for years? What?

I realize this is a GM discretion thing unless FAQ or errata I haven't seen addressed it, and our current GM is essentially ruling it so said bonus only applies once, when you've identified it and figured out how to use it you can't get that bonus on it ever again. Also, despite being Heretek I have AdMech training (and was raised on a Research Station) so damn near every device I encounter that isn't at least very uncommon I can't get that bonus. Thus far I've used my Background bonus a grand total of like... two or three times and we've been playing weekly sessions for months now.

As it is, this Heretek may well die very soon, but I'd still like to know some input on this to help me make a more informed decision regarding my character build if/when he dies.
>>
>>45931775
Jesus Christ your DM is a hardass. It means unfamiliar to the Imperium at large, not unfamiliar to your character. Weird techy shit in general. Xenotech, heretical tech, archaeotech, etc.
>>
In DW, what's the best way for a player to join in after the squad has already deployed?

Deep Strike? How would that work? Can they be teleported in or do they have to take a drop-pod or some sort of drop-ship in?
>>
>>45932047
Legion of the Damned and then actual character at base.
>>
>>45932006
Hmm that makes sense. So no amount of personal familiarity would affect whether I get that bonus then correct?

And how would you approach Forbidden Lore AdMech in this? The bonus is gained on say shit that is rare or incredibly unusual but still AdMech tech?
>>
>>45932047
Depends but you could do thunder hawk insertion somewhere far off then have him slog it to meet up with the team, if situations warrant.
>>
>>45932517
Secret classified magos shit. Anything you'd need level six secret conspiracy membership clearance just to know about, let alone fiddle with.
>>
>>45932717
Hmm... interesting. Research Station and Heretek... I currently have two Forbidden Lores, AdMech and Eldar lol
>>
>>45914339
Are Fire Selectors made up bullshit? I don't see how they could ever work on Basic weapons and smaller.
>>
How difficult would it be to get blueprints for items made with tech-use/trade(armorer)? A step or two more difficult than getting the item itself?
>>
>>45927904
I prefer 1e, but that's as much nostalgia speaking as anything, it's a little more complex than 2e, but it's also more directed character wise, which can make it less overwhelming for new players.
>>
File: Skitarii_Warrior.png (2 MB, 1284x1445) Image search: [Google]
Skitarii_Warrior.png
2 MB, 1284x1445
Were the Skitarii ever actually given a proper stat line?

was curious because I was building a sector for you know what, I still haven't figured out if this would be a DH1 or RT campaign, guess I should weigh the pros and cons of that and I was planning initially on having the bulk of a certain mining world's defense force be comprised of largely Skitarii regiments.
>>
What's your favorite /tg/ homebrew /40krpg/? Especially with the resurgence of homebrew and the success of a few.
>>
Any tips for acquiring an inquisitor gf?
>>
>>45934791
With 2e character direction, it just needs to be explained properly.

Such as when looking at skills, talents, and characteristic advances it is:
Two matching aptitudes is what you're good at.
One matching aptitude is what you're okay at.
No matching aptitudes is what you're shit at.
>>
>>45934821
Be incredibly useful, not too dangerous, and loyal to the end and beyond.

>>45934756
I'd say about 2 would be an appropriate number of steps. Most Forges keep their blueprints on the down-low.
>>
Quick question; would the Askellon or Callixis sector work best for a game of DH2?
>>
>>45935436
Depends, what expectations do you have of the Inquisition/Imperium, GW fluff or Dan Abnett's Eisenhorn/Ravenor series? If the former, Askellon, if the latter, Calixas, especially if you take the fluff basically exclusively from the core rulebook, as the meta plot kind of spiraled out of hand by the time all the sourcebooks were out.
>>
Working on a generated cult from a while back and brainstorming it's place in my WIP DH2 campaign but only now do I realized (as I was watching SW: The Clone Wars) that I basically generated the Galactic Empire, at least in it's military aspects (or less desu).

>Background
Decadent Nobles
Inhuman Ideals
>Leader
Military Figure
Figurehead
>Actual Leader
Military Figure
Force of Arms
>Armaments and Defences
Fortified Protection
>Tokens of Allegiance
Hidden Sign
>Cult Allure
Indulgence
>Rites and Observances
Blood Sacrifice
>Worship
Khorne

originally I was going to have this cult (or a the very least a splinter cell) operating in a Civilized World that's currently dealing with civil unrest with the planned destruction of a holy site. shrine will probably hold a daemon prince or something, wracking my brain on that one. Thoughts?
>>
>>45934900
or be Commissar Cain
>>
>>45935577
Right, or be one of the luckiest men in the Imperium.
>>
>>45935610
That's pretty much it desu.
>>
>>45917467
>>45929149
I have another one.

>a marine left to guard medbay where two captured heretics were being treated prior interrogation
>sabotage and treachery everywhere, paranoia level is at all times high
>hears insane maniacal laughter coming from around the corner
>nobody around, moves to investigate
>the noise apparently emanates from a small storage room
>the laughter becomes more distinct and is now accompanied by a sound of something wet and meaty banging against a hard surface
>"oh man, this is going to be the most cliché scene ever or.."
>swings the door open in one swift motion
>the 5x5 room is packed with with red eyed guardsmen, billowing clouds of grinweed smoke make already dimly lit room more reminiscent of an opium den
>the source of rhythmical banging sounds was turned out to be a private whose forehead was being repeatedly hit against the wall by his fellow
>the abused guardsman was the one who was laughing the loudest
>as the door opens and towering silhouette of the Astartes appears in the doorway, the room immediately falls silent, everyone freezing in place, twisted smiles and unfinished gestures
>the only motion in the room comes from thr guardsman with bleeding forehead as he sees nothing and tries to budge arm of his fellow to continue the slamfest
>the second the scene takes stretches seemingly into infinity as the assault marine is unsure what to do in a situation exceeding the boundaries of rip and tear MO
>"I'm too angelic for this shit"
>Without making and other love or sound, the marine shuts the door as he opened it
>laughter, chatter and banging sounds immediately resume
>>
File: Untitled-2.jpg (690 KB, 846x1200) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-2.jpg
690 KB, 846x1200
I’m looking for advice on ways to Penitent-up my Sororitas.

This is occasioned by two events. First, she’s just hit 60 insanity points (mostly due to stuff like staring down the Tyrant Star because He Who Sits Upon The Only Throne is the only sun from whom she’ll avert her eyes, etc). Second is that we just had a disastrous encounter with an unbelievably powerful Heretek Killsquad. She took down one, but these were restatted Heretek-enhanced Temple Assassins, and, well, they TPK’d us, and stole the Haarlock-related Macguffin they’d used us to recover from an Indiana Jones-ish tomb. We've all burnt fate, but what matters is that the Sister Failed, thrice over - she let her comrades fall in the line of duty, she fell in the line of duty, and the forces of the Archenemy retrieved their goal.

The two things combined mean that said Sororitas is going to be pretty different when the party finishes recuperating. I’m going to relinquish the power armour and bolt pistol (partly for the symbolism of not being worthy of them until the right to don them is heroically re-earned, partly because a couple of players are OOC jealous about their male characters not having Sororitas power armour), but was thinking more broadly about oaths of penitence.

I’m definitely not going to go full Repentia (since they are a porn-y joke, and because the eviscerator won't fit the party). I know John Blanche did some pretty kick-ass penitent Sororitas art (see pic, also the Inquisitor model that got made of it) - are they just regular Repentia from a different (non-militant) Order, with a different appearance? What other ways do you recommend of emphasising the penitent aspect, and her Ecclesiarchal status (necessary vanity, but as the only acolyte with any social skills, she needs to be able to pull weight as a charming and well-established member of Terra’s Church)? Giant aquila branded onto her face? Cloak of purity seals? Klovis-the-Redeemer-style brazier hat?

Cheers!
>>
>>45937271
Well, I'd say the Blanche image you posted is a pretty good template. But the sad truth of the matter is the fact that repentance in the Imperium will always be extreme, like Repentia extreme and involve -a lot- of self-harm.
>>
>>45937755
Yeah, I'm probably going with the Blanche stuff. The serious self-abnegation and repentance is fine, and just right for the character, desu - I'm fine with as much creepy self-mutilation as my group is OK with - I just wish there was a form of repentance/self-imposed punishment for the Sororities that wasn't 'dress like a pasty Nottingham nerd's fetish fantasy'.
>>
>>45937896
Well, its got some historicity. As it wasn't uncommon for (for lack of a better term) 'Flagellants' to go more or less completely naked to better harm themselves with whips and what not. 40k simply takes that to its extreme and fetishy end with the Imperiums martyrdom culture. Since y'know, if you don't have any armor you can inflict more pain on yourself to drive the sin out of your body aswell can the enemy and on top of it all, you can more easily earn salvation in a martyrs death.

Check out the Blood of Martyrs book for DH1, it has a -shitload- of gear intended for self-flagellation.
>>
>>45931775
Unfamiliar generally consists of:
Xenotech, all of it.
Imperial tech that is so rare it is almost unheard of to tinker with it, such as Titans, knights, battleship plasma reactors, gellar field/void shield generators, space marine dreadnoughts.
Standard pattern imperial tech so heavily modified or ramshakled together it breaks all manner of understanding by Admech bylaws.
Now, here is the question: you said you only got to use it twice? What ordos are you in?
Do realize the heretek was in the Ordo Xenos book for a reason; if you aren't dealing with xenos, the Cold/Faceless Trade and exploring odd worlds, it is unlikely the Heretek bonus would ever come to play. Unlike most background packages, it is very specific and very campaign dependent. You may have simply gambled poorly, and either didn't ask what the bend of the campaign was, or your gm didn't have the sense to tell you.
>>
What is the best way to make it fun and interesting for my PC's in Dark Heresy to try to control a chrashing imperial escort ship? Like vid related

https://youtu.be/h5QeaqhFEQU?t=5m44s

Also a bit of explenation why I need ome help on this:
>Players sneek onboard a smugglers (and part time heretic) ship
>After a bit of investigation the manage to sabotage the ship and confront him on the bridge
>Combat happends and our guardsman chops off his legs and the psyker blows his mind
>But the sabotage has made the ship drop out of orbit, and I decided to end the session on a cliffhanger

>The shields are still online, but the engines and gun batteries have been destoyed
>And there are no escape pods left, since the rest of the crewmen manning the ship took the ones that where there.
>>
>>45938609
Also go to 5.45 to see what I picutre is happening to the ship as they leave orbit for the planet below.
>>
>>45928541
>Hiding holy symbols
What are you, a heretic?
>>
>>45938609
Activate warp drive and you won't have to worry about falling
>>
>>45938944
>activate warp drive
>disregarding the charge up time to get the warp jump generators going, the full crew compliment needed to ensure the gellar field is working
>actually suggest opening a gate to space hell in a planets atmosphere and the catastrophic effects that has
>>45938609
Is there someone with Operate: Void? Yes, alright, they stand a fighting chance.
I'm going to assume the answer is no, however, and suggest the players consign their souls to the Emperor.
>>
>>45938998
>actually suggest opening a gate to space hell in a planets atmosphere and the catastrophic effects that has
It's like you hate fun
>>
>>45939020
No, I hate being responsible for mass warp incursions and exposure.
>>
What would be the Dark Eldar equivalent of a Solitaire, in terms of skills/proficiency?
>>
>>45934804
Build them with OW rules
>>
>>45939573
Incubus, perhaps?
But the Harlequins are universal to the Eldar race, dealing with both sides equally.
There is no need for an "equal" when you already have it.
>>
>>45939573
Drazhar I guess, but thats more on the phoenix prince side, solitaires as an anon already said are on a league of their own even among the "neutral" arlequins
>>
Are sanctified weapons only narrative, or is there a mechanic for holy damage
>>
>>45941365
They ignore the Daemonic trait
>>
>>45937201

DUDE WEED LMAO

>>45934814

My group does not use homebrew. We use official playtested sanctioned material so theres no doubt or questions.
>>
>>45917467
>Cell is hunting a serial killer.
>Killer has murdered 7 people so far, shows occult/warp pattern to murders.
>Track him to the slums at the top of Hive Tarsus, talk to local gangsters for info, get into fight.
>Insane Psyker perils the fuck out (Twice).
>Causes massive warp freak out, shooting bolts of energy uncontrollably.
>Dozens dead, including many civilians.
>Rack up a higher body count than the murderer in a matter of moments. Still caught him though.
>One more in the win column for the Imperium!
>>45932047
Requisitioned air drop from a Valkyrie or an Aquilla lander, teleport in, or just say that the Marine was already working as an advance scout in the area and meets up with the squad.
>>45934804
Far as I know they have no official stats, but again Lathe Worlds has a section on a group called the Crimson Guard, who are shock troopers for the Calixian Mechanicus.
They're pretty fuckin' sick: implanted las weapons with crazy penetration and sweet suits of red skeleton armor.
>>
File: zombie.jpg (18 KB, 439x446) Image search: [Google]
zombie.jpg
18 KB, 439x446
What could be the stats for a headcrab and a headcrab zombie be in Dark Heresy? Going to use simular xenos in my next game
>>
In addition to MIU Weapon Interface and Desperado's ability, is there any other way to fire a gun as a free action in DH2
>>
>>45934804
In the DW supplement The Emperor Protects they got stats, but it was before they got on the tabletop, so the weapons are different.
>>
>>45937896
Cilce
>>
>>45914339
Are there any guides to update some of the Pyromancer/Biomancer psychic powers to the later systems? I'd very much like to run a Biomancy-focused Sanctioned Psyker in Only War, but the system seems oddly resistant. Did they just decide that Psykers had too much power and too many options open to them?
>>
>>45914374
Telepathy and Divination. Always solid choices.
>>
>>45934814
I hate homebrews, but I use them.
>>
>>45914374
I recommend getting a 'Chem Gland' implant that automatically dumps certain drugs into your system. Then set it to pump your ass full of White Void (+20 Willpower Checks) , Sandstone (+30 all willpower checks, Plus an extra 10 versus interrogation, roll versus fatigue when it wears off), and Zumthorian Greyve (+40 all Toughness tests, ignore all fatigue, save versus 2 fatigue when it ends). Just make sure it's always pumping while you're awake, and your Willpower checks will be obscene.
>>
>>45941727
Just use a zombie and then have any shot to the head damage the crab instead of the person. If the crab dies, the zombie does too.
Not sure how to stat the crab though
>>
>>45934814

I absolutely despise homebrew, but sometimes I find it unavoidable to use so I just bear it.
>>
>>45934791
I prefer 1e too for 2 reasons. 1 the Calixis Sector is much more interesting than the new sector. The first few books are just oozing with lore and the later one, while lacking the same density, are pretty good. Maybe the new sector will get better but for now I wouldn't even consider using it over the Calixis Sector. 2, while I appreciate the spirit of aptitudes, they don't really make things simpler. Consider this, what's easier Elite Advances or Aptitudes? Elite advances of course. Being told a skill or talent outside your career is a 100-200 more XP than usual is a lot easier than sorting through the menagerie of aptitudes and talent tier charts. I think FFG is digging their own grave because universal systems take developer skill they quite frankly just don't have. Lol, they mostly just copy-paste stuff from their previous products nowadays anyway.
>>
Is a party ever truly ready for necrons?
>>
>>45946648
Meltagun.
Deathwatch has squad modes which disable regeneration or resurrection protocols
>>
>tfw my friend is interested in Nurgle
How do I stop this heresy?
>>
>>45948140
Sanctified bolt to the brain, brother. A shepherd must be vigilant and harsh to not let heresy seduce his lambs...
>>
>>45948140
Purge with fire
>>
>>45948140
I've always been a proponent of flamethrowers for problems such as this. It also works great for xenos and snow.
>>
Anyone tried playing the Exorcised character from EB yet? My copy, along with Without, is in the mail, long overdue, because USPS and Canada Post are balls.
>>
File: 1444296965701.png (421 KB, 540x900) Image search: [Google]
1444296965701.png
421 KB, 540x900
Anyone got good stories with feudal worlds? I'm in the process of making an adventure on a feudal world and would like to hear some stories.
>>
Are there any resources for Dark Heresy 2e vehicles? Like, fan-made stat profiles or even a scratch-build system? Trying to knock together a party van here and could do with something to base it off, but the vehicles in the books are pretty limited.
>>
>>45951871
Only War
>>
>>45937998
Pretty sure we're Hereticus. Problem is that was only briefly mentioned well after I made the character. We had a basic inclination of what was going on and what we were looking into pre-game and this was my second character (first didn't live long, rolled a mutant with The Warp Made Manifest...) but I had no idea wtf was going on with the system since I'm pretty much a warhammer noob. As it is damn near everything that comes up I have to research outside of the game, and while I get the gist of things most of the time I'm still more clueless than an in-setting toddler.
>>
File: mayonnaise.png (452 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
mayonnaise.png
452 KB, 640x480
Question. What is the process for acquiring a Hesh-pattern bolter as an Ultramarine?

Reading the book, it says that "These weapons cannot be requisitioned and are unique to the Ultramarines in service to Deathwatch. Other Deathwatch Space Marines may only come into possession of one of these weapons through role-playing." So, if you're not a smurf, you have to get one through RP, I get that.

What if you are one? Am I able to just ask my GM "Hey, can my ultramarine have a Hesh bolter?" They aren't that big of an upgrade--Accurate and never-jamming at a cost of half the range.
>>
>>45953285
Don't you just buy it with requesition each mission?
Or get it permanently with the Signature Wargear talent?
>>
>>45953385
It doesn't have a listed Requisition value. It's just "Hey, this is something Ultramarines have."
>>
I've got a group of DnD 5e players that want to try 40k.

Two of them are entirely new to the IP.

What's the pros/cons of the available options? Currently I'm leading towards Rogue Trader because it seems the most similar to the average DnD campaign.

Also: I'm amazed you guys don't have an answer to this question in the OP. Surely you get versions of it a lot?
>>
>>45917467
Last Deathwatch game, I was mopping up a horde of cultists, and was down to two, when FUCKING JUGGERNAUTS OUT OF NOWHERE. So, in a brilliant piece of lateral thinking, my character decides to fix both problems at once. Roll grapple to pick them up, and I proceeded to throw them at the first handy daemon. First one missed entirely, but I furied on the second one. Like three times. One shotted a Juggernaut with its own cultist.
>>
>>45953556
Speaking as someone who was brand new to Dark Heresy, /tg/, and 40k as a whole when I played my first game on suptg's IRC server, I'd suggest that as the place to start, but that's based on personal anecdotes.

Rogue Trader might be good, because as you said, it's the closest to what the players might expect from D&D. On the other hand, if they're looking for something different...

>Dark Heresy
Lower-powered, more investigative, combat should be rare unless you kick down every door or really fuck things up

>Rogue Trader
Money, murder, hobos in a space-traincar, some diplomacy or intrigue, lots of blowing shit up

>Deathwatch
ROFLstomping everything in sight. You are spess muhreens. That is what you do and you are damned good at it.

>Black Crusade
Kinda like Deathwatch except you're the crazy insane evil guys trying to destroy the galaxy and give it over to Chaos.

>Only War
Lower powered again, very militarily-structured game because, y'know, you're playing a unit of the Imperial Guard and you're literally the meat in the grinder to make Imperial Sausage.

>Dark Heresy v2
A little more survivable than DH1, a little closer to RT's starting power level, still more subtle and investigative instead of in-your-face combat heavy.

That's how I'd put these.
>>
I asked a while back, but not in the right way I think.

What kinds of things might a servant of an inquisitor do to become an inquisitor themselves? So far I have:

>Slay a daemon (boring)
>Previous inquisitor dies (boring)
>Make friends in high places
>...
>Profit?

>>45954337
how would you compare against the old 54mm Inquisitor rules?
>>
>>45954401
I wouldn't, because I don't know jack or shit about them~
>>
>>45954401
Which faction of the Inquisition do you want to join, and which Ordo?
>>
>>45954401
>>45954337 here again. Way back in my old game, my character was sponsored to join those hallowed ranks by her Inquisitor for unswerving loyalty and dedication in the face of Chaos (she took a traitor marine bolter shell to the face and lived [without burning Fate!] and stared down a heretek).

Also, being able to take the Investigator Legate alt-career (in DH1, at least) goes a loooooong way toward enabling becoming an Inquisitor.
>>
>>45946648
Only War squad supporting a properly built sniper can tear their same number apart.
>>
>>45954460
trying to write a backstory for a an ordo hereticus psyker inqusitor

I posted some 800 words of crap in a pastebin way up in the thread figuring out how they even became a servant of the inquisitor, but reading it makes me want to rewrite the thing yet again

I'm writing the backstory pretty much just for myself, as the inquisitor is actually for non-rpg 40k, and I would never ask an opponent to read my shitty fan-fiction. Nevertheless I find having a backstory for the characters and taking note of the cool things they do in games makes the game a lot more fun.
>>
>>45953285
Ask your gm if you can do a mission for one or spends time doing something politically for one.
>>
>>45954435
I seem to recall GW gave away some of the rules for free at one point, but that was very long time ago

>Unlike a tactical wargame or role-playing game, Inquisitor describes itself as a "narrative" skirmish game, with an emphasis on storytelling in the nature of action movies or adventure novels, as opposed to a focus on winning at all costs.
>"Forging the narrative" back in 2001
>>
>>45954615
Anything suitably impressive really.
Defeating a major foe, uprooting a conspiracy, basically anything which proves his capabilities of protecting the Imperium not just as a combattant, but as an investigator (even if those investigations are just kicking down doors and burning people alive until someone tells you what you need to know).
>>
File: Bridge.png (1 MB, 954x570) Image search: [Google]
Bridge.png
1 MB, 954x570
Bridge
>>
File: Navigator Room.png (1 MB, 950x624) Image search: [Google]
Navigator Room.png
1 MB, 950x624
>>45955507

Navigator Room
>>
File: Trophy Room.png (1 MB, 912x624) Image search: [Google]
Trophy Room.png
1 MB, 912x624
>>45955524

Meeting and Trophy room

Working on an engineering section and cathedral
>>
>>45955507
>>45955524
>>45955543

For my Rogue Trader game.
>>
What are good characters and builds to compliment melee overlords?
>>
File: 1445370965989.jpg (120 KB, 750x609) Image search: [Google]
1445370965989.jpg
120 KB, 750x609
>>45951217
Well, disguises are half the fun!
I was the party medic and a Tech Priest. Couldn't let the natives see my implants so I was disguised as... a leper. It was pretty funny having the locals react to the leper rushing to administer first aid to the wounded.
Let's see. We fought a dragon, which was cool. Killed it by blowing a wound in its chest with a shotgun then shoving acid into the wound.
Dealt with the locals a lot. Trying to figure out what was just old superstition and what was HERESY was fun. Also, generally trying to keep our advanced gear from being discovered but having it on hand to take out real problems was very cool. Having to switch back and forth from cross bows to lasguns when no one is around to witness the tech is a fun challenge.
Just go for it anon, your players will have a blast!
>>45953566
An astartes knows anything can be a weapon. Pic related.
>>
in Dark Heresy 2.0, or in general, would a Techpriest start out with a face grille? Or would I need to buy the lung augs for that? I don't know how i'd feel about having a mouth....

If i don't have a mouth how do I eat and drink?
>>
>>45957711
You can if you want, probably an input shunt.
>>
>>45957711
>>45957741
A running gag in our group is to have tech-priests eat offscreen. Camera pans, Cognus grabs a sandwich, pans past. Camera pans back and Cognus is brushing crumbs off his robe.
>>
>>45943960

...that seems a little silly.
>>
>>45943785
>>45914419

Yeah, I've ended up going with Divination and Telepathy as my big things.

Are there any 'essential' powers outside of those two?
>>
How do you go about getting more Influence in DH2.0?

My GM is going with the rules from the corebook that a high subtly reduces influence gain as no one knows you did it but he's also punishing us horribly if we are not subtle.

So we've gained all of 2 points of influence so far despite our best efforts.
>>
>>45957863
Peer talent does, but otherwise you should also gain influence via connections you make in-game and such.
>>
>>45957883

Ok. I guess that's my best bet. 200 exp for 1 influence isn't the best rate but hey, better than we are getting with actual missions.
>>
>>45957909
>200 exp for 1 influence isn't the best rate
You also get a flat up +10 to all social interactions with a specified group.
Which can be pretty fantastic.

Also get Contact Network, it allows you to use your Fellowship in the place of Influence in many cases.
>>
>>45957909
Well remember that it is also a +10 to fellowship and INFLUENCE tests with that group too.
>>
>>45957931
>>45957922

Point taken.

Also: Doesn't Contact Network more or less remove the uses of Influence beyond 'Qualifying for Inquisitor eventually'?
>>
>>45957952
To an extent. Remember you use influence for reinforcement characters. You can also burn 1d5 to automatically succeed at an influence test.
>>
File: .004 Xeno Behemoth.png (785 KB, 649x823) Image search: [Google]
.004 Xeno Behemoth.png
785 KB, 649x823
(2:35am)
I'm starting a rogue trader game with some friends. This is a xeno I generated and slapped a nice picture on. I dont own either the picture or the slate background. This is of course for a death world, name is left blank for players to argue about.

>TL;DR Rogue trader asset(?), kinda relevant to thread.
>>
File: .004 Xeno Race.png (821 KB, 651x824) Image search: [Google]
.004 Xeno Race.png
821 KB, 651x824
(2:43)
I'm sure you can all see how badly cropped these are. Using Roll20 for compiling these(hence graph). I use a combination of paint and snipping tool when I make things to use in R20. I like the size of these cards because I sized them in such a way that they fit nicely as handouts. Really hassle free to just click and drag these to give them to players.
>>
File: Essential Components.png (289 KB, 735x394) Image search: [Google]
Essential Components.png
289 KB, 735x394
Again, badly cropped. Threw this and some others together because they look nicer than text on a white background. They also fit pretty nicely in R20 while satisfying my internal autism.
>>
>>45957977

Right. Just pondering if spending my starting points (We were doing chargen) on influence/fellowship was a good idea.

Then again, it IS still a good bit until I can afford Contact Network with all my current wants to purchase.
>>
>>45958143
Man, didn't want to spend much on basic components, did you?

Didn't even go for the Warpsbane Hull.
>>
File: reliquary.png (124 KB, 729x149) Image search: [Google]
reliquary.png
124 KB, 729x149
>>45958205
Nice to know someone is more awake than me.
They are starting on a smaller ship, I haven't decided on hull type specifically but im thinking Cobra-class Destroyer for a starting ship(Ship layouts are finicky). Their captain rolled pick related, and decided on having a teleporter room for boarding actions and exploration. He paired that with barracks and munitorium so i'm curious to see what he'll do with it.

His name is Gustav 'Fredrich' Hinler III esq, so I have some idea of his intentions may be. Master orator and his high fellowship stat may also solidify my theory.
>>
>>45958150

>we were doing chargen

Dammit. I meant 'Doing point buy for chargen'
>>
>>45955580
Holy shit man! Where can I get those sweet templates for tokens and maps? Where is this from?
>>
Do Spirit Marines refer to each other "bottle brother"?
>>
>>45943763
Yes, because they did, and in some ways, still do.
>>
>>45944615
>what's easier Elite Advances or Aptitudes?
That is the wrong comparison to make.
What you need to compare is the entire career tree and what you WANT to do with your character, and what the career tree says to do.
Aptitudes allow you to make something not so standard at an affordable rate, while elite advances by design at set to artificial premiums.
>>
>>45952434
>Pretty sure we're Hereticus. Problem is that was only briefly mentioned well after I made the character
Mentioned in character or out of character?
That said, this is a clear case of more communication, or at least, productive communication should have been had.
If you are a rookie, then, private rant, why the fuck do rookies to 40k ALWAYS WANT TO PLAY A FUCKING PSYKER OR TECHPRIEST?
The most involved archetypes steeped in the most lore, and it's always the new guys that flock to them, and inevitably get it wrong.
Now the rant has subsided, yes, 40k is not an analogue game, and while starting off as a parody is now it's own cohesive setting.
That said, read the fucking books. The DH1e books explain the basics of the setting linchpins better than the 2e books, imo, as the 2e books expect a cursory knowledge of the setting.
Read, ask questions of the gm, he is obligated to offer ooc explanations on terms and organizations. When it comes to that, it's really up to you to learn the shit.
>>
>>45954614
An entire squad of well-built snipers can do the same.
>>
>>45958260
I always like to pair the Teleportarium with Murder Servitors (fluffed as an entire mecha-kennel full of cyber-mastiffs), a Storm Trooper Detachment (Their Handlers), and a Barracks. I once built a ship around this concept, with Grapple Cannons and Disruptor Macro-batteries. Looked like a plain transport, easy pickings for pirates.
>>
>>45960116

The last game I was in had both of those on a really faithful Rogue Trader's ship. The Best Quality Stormtroopers were a SOB detachment we made allies with after a hell of a mission and we later got Murder Servitors in the form of Penitent Engines and Arcoflangelants.
>>
File: U5F6Gbt.png (164 KB, 443x249) Image search: [Google]
U5F6Gbt.png
164 KB, 443x249
>>45956809
>We fought a dragon, which was cool. Killed it by blowing a wound in its chest with a shotgun then shoving acid into the wound.
That sound's amazing.
>>
>>45958625

I made all of it out of assets in Roll20
>>
>>45960116
Smithers, release the hounds.
>>
File: ruse cruise.jpg (62 KB, 640x683) Image search: [Google]
ruse cruise.jpg
62 KB, 640x683
>>45960116
>Looked like a plain transport, easy pickings for pirates.

That's fantastically devious
>>
>>45960379
What is roll20 and how can I use it? Your work looks stellar anon, respect
>>
>>45960412
It's a tactic called a 'Q-Ship'. Take an ordinary-looking transport, cut it's cargo capacity in half and fill it with powerful short range guns, hide the gun ports, get lots of combat-ready marines and hide them onboard, then sail un-escorted through pirate filled waters (or space I suppose) and wait for some greedy suckers to pull in close to board you. Petend to surrender at the first sign of trouble, let them get close, then seize their ship.

>>45960441
Roll20.com is a website which uses a complex Java interface to create a virtual tabletop, including mapping program and dice rollers, so gamers can play tabletop games online with each other.
>>
>>45960385
>What are you going to do? Sic the dogs on me? Or the bees? or the dogs with bees in their mouths, and when they bark they shoot bees at you? Well do your worst!

click

>Hey, he locked the door on me!
>>
>>45960455
Is it free for use or requires payment/purchase?
>>
>>45960562
Free-to-use, with an option to support them with paid membership, that allows access to neat features like dynamic lighting for proper FoV circles and other such Quality of life things
>>
>>45960591
The Holy Inquisition thanks you for your cooperation citizen Anon, may you live long in the Emperors service.

=][=
>>
File: engines.png (1 MB, 852x640) Image search: [Google]
engines.png
1 MB, 852x640
>>45960441
>>45960379
>>45955580
>>45960668

I'm working on an engine room at the moment
>>
>>45960740

Bloody hell anon, I'm jealous as fuck; are you making up the ships interior as you see fit or are you following some preexisting blueprint?
>>
>>45960790

>are you making up the ships interior as you see fit or are you following some preexisting blueprint?

Making it up from inspiration based on images like this for the navigator's chair in >>45955524
>>
>>45960822
If you don't mind me asking, from your designs I can see you're pretty experienced with this roll20 tool; how much time do you need to finish one room like this? Also, the artwork and tokens are your handiwork or you had them available in the app? I just got to use this to make stuff for my next rogue trader game. This bloody changes everything!
>>
File: captain's chair.png (817 KB, 946x578) Image search: [Google]
captain's chair.png
817 KB, 946x578
>>45960870

Honestly it just takes time. The tokes for characters I use http://www.rptools.net/toolbox/token-tool/ for (fucking AMAZING tool, just drag and drop an image in, resize it, choose the border and hit save and you have a token with transparent sides, no more ugly squares for characters)

Everything else you see in those images are just free assets from using Roll20's search feature. I use words like "Throne" "Console" "Chair" "Table" "Floor" "Wall" "Window" "Screen" "Computer" "Pillar" "Column" "Gate" "Altar"

Everything in this pic is a separate asset I searched up and put together. It's the captain's chair.

Honestly, the selection isn't all that great. A lot of it clashes, so what I try to do is make everything look nice by putting things that compliment each other alongside each other. Sometimes they aren't transparent, sometimes they aren't the best of quality, but the point is that I keep looking and I keep trying new things until I find something I am satisfied with.

Though, the engine room in >>45960740 I kind of cheated with; I used a pre-existing map because I really liked it. Got it from >>45940708
I added the mechanicus symbols and am right now adding computer banks and screens and stuff to the area to tech it up a bit.

But like I said, man, it takes time. I try to layer everything right, so I do the floors last, and make sure stuff on top of tables is on the upper layers and basically just try to pay attention to detail.
>>
Question: Per Deathwatch rules, Can Space Marines be affected by drugs? I know they get a bunch of bonuses against poisons, but is a marine on an infiltration mission on a Kroot-patroled moon decided to pop a dose of Scav-Glysten (imposes a -30 to any attempt to detect or track the target by scent), would it have any effect?

Traitor Marines take combat drugs, so some drugs MUST have some effects, right?
>>
>>45961437
Marines get pumped full of combat drugs by their power armor fairly regularly
>>
>>45961817
So if someone implanted a Marine with a Chem Glad to continually dose them with Scrapper-Ripper, Sandstone, and Zumthorian Greyve, it would actually have their intended effects? Cool.
>>
>>45962154

Bear in mind that Space Marine drug doses are significantly more potent than normal humans. I think there's a mention in the Deathwatch book that a dose of the drugs in the rulebook would probably kill a normal man, since a dose to a marine is way more powerful than a dose to a human.
>>
>>45962682
Can you imagine the drug tolerance Noise Marines must develop? You could kill a herd of elephants with what it takes to make a Slaaneshi champion feel normal.
>>
>>45962812
And some of the shit they do. Snorting lines of powdered daemon bone. Licking tabs coated in liquefied souls-that-died-from-over-orgasming. They do the HARD shit.
>>
I'm interested if anyone knows (or if there is a list) of all available ship positions and types of characters that can be found on a Rogue Trader ship, preferably in a hierarchical order. Like where does the chief engineseer ranks in the chain of command with astropaths and navigators etc. How do the mercenary (especially xeno) forces factor in all of this? What if there's a space marine or IG commissar on board? How do they react to sanctioned xenos? What sort of forces can be present on the ship (skitarii. guard, knights)? And how likely would a Tarelian merc be to work with Rogue Traders? And where can I look up the various rooms that constitute a Rogue Trader vessel (like a blueprint or something similar)?

Sorry for s lot of questions but I'm preparing my first rogue trader campaign and I would love to make it as detailed as possible :)
>>
Alrighty thread, want some input, might even use it. I currently have three basic ideas for a replacement character. Yes I'm the wh40k n00b that was asking about the Heretek bonus earlier. This is to replace my Heretek that is in a shit spot and very likely to die soon if the warband can't find me... and maybe even if they can depending on how things unroll. Thanks to rollover xp I'm likely to be starting with 2400ish total xp or more, hence some of these options being possible to start off with. Spoilered info is relating to campaign and/or current input and ideas, greentext is just basic shit.

>Run-and-Gun Ganger
->Hive, Imperial Navy, Desperado
This is a switch-hit mobile gunner style build. I'll be doing a lot of shooting here. Likely to have some investigative and stealth and deception depending but covering all the combat bases is primary. In-game we have a bunch of close-range and melee focused characters and little long range support gunners, figured I could do that with this and do a few other things.

>Blind Oracle
->World TBD, Astra Telepathica, Chirurgeon, Psycker and Astropath Elite Advances
Focusing on support and emergency medicae mostly. We have some decent medicae in the party that have been having shit luck, but noone with the Fate First Aid "save yo ass now" that Chirurgeon gets. Likely to go into predictive and/or support powers and talents.

>Duster TechPriest
->Frontier, AdMech -OR- Heretek, Chirurgeon
High tech focus, some medicae, Fate First Aid, lots of weapon modding. Some general support fire stuff (I'll be rigging for suppressing fire and occasional long-range potshots). Depending on AdMech or Heretek I might dig into some complicated Imperial shit or some really weird heretical shit.
>>
>>45963178
Check Into the Storm, it has what you want, and Battlefleet Koronus expands on it a bit. Also the chief enginseer, regardless of actual rank relative to the captain, rules the engineering decks absolutely. It's not uncommon for them to deny access to engineering to non-Mechanicus individuals for reasons ranging from the practical (The engineering deck is too overheated and irradiated for normal humans to endure) to the petty (MEATBAGS STAY OUT!! REEEEEEEEE!)
>>
>>45963417
Follow-up.

>Open to Suggestions
->?????????????????????????????????
Right now we have an experienced player playing a Feral/Guardsman/Assassin who is against psyckers in general OOC, and especially for newbs like me playing em. We also have a Highborn/Outcast/???, a Sister of Battle (w/o elite advance as of right now), a Highborn/Guardsman/???, and an Administratum character, these four aren't as experienced with 40k, but have varying degrees and most (if not all) have more experience than I do. I don't remember what all their stuff is, but they are rather typical of the info I provided from what I can tell. Both Highborn players have expressed an interest in the Astropath option, while the Feral Guardsman is very against it as I said earlier. GM is rather open-minded and willing to work with the players, and I've already come to him with certain things and we worked out the Heretek thing. (Ruled that xenos and other heretical shit would always get the bonus, and imperial shit that is really odd will get it until I figure it out.) We are playing Ordo Hereticus, that was an OOC comment after a few sessions of playing, like a "so how do you like the Ordo Hereticus?" comment or something.

>Jedi?
->???/???/???
The intent for this was some Psycker shit, possibly be from Terra (Coruscant kek) or have been to Terra during his career. Was likely to be a military background. I was pulling out a weapon from another 40k game and focusing on stealth psycker and jedi bullshit. I think Heirophant was one of my thoughts, and Frontier was one of my thoughts as well for the weapon modding bonus since I needed to do lots of that. This is kinda taking a back seat right now but it's still on my list of ideas.

Note: I'll be outlining this character tonight. Rolls will come tomorrow, and any tweaks that need to be made will be done either while my character is unconscious, after he is dead, or during the rest of the week.
>>
So, I decided that it bothered me that there was an Armour of Contempt talent, but no Shield of Disgust or Sword of Hatred. I sat down with my GM and another player, and we hammered them out. Looking for opinions.

Armour of Contempt - add to General Space Marine advances, rank 2, 200XP (taken from DH1e Core, where it costs 100 XP to assorted mid-high rank thinky careers)
Prerequisites: Willpower 40.
You drape yourself in the armour of scorn and hatred. Whenever you would gain Corruption Points, reduce the amount you would earn by 1. In addition, you may Test Willpower as a Free Action to ignore the effects of your accumulated Corruption for one Round.

Shield of Disgust - add to General Space Marine advances, rank 4, 800 XP (custom)
Prerequisites: Armour of Contempt
You gird yourself with scorn for the unclean. When calculating damage taken from an attack by an enemy you have Hatred for, add your Willpower Bonus to your Toughness Bonus.

Sword of Hatred - add to General Space Marine advances, rank 6, 1200 XP (custom)
Prerequisites: Armour of Contempt
The wrath of the righteous fills your soul as you lay waste to the Emperor's enemies. When rolling damage against an enemy you have Hatred for with a Flame or Melee weapon, add 1d10 to damage
>>
Bumping in hope
>>
I was looking at the various classes of ships available in Rogue Trader (the >>45963178 poster here) found on this campaign page

https://campaign-32103.obsidianportal.com/wikis/starship-hulls

and I was like what the fuck?! The smallest transport vessel listed here has like twenty THOUSAND crewmembers. The light cruiser go to more than three times that, for example the Dauntless Light Cruiser with ~65000 souls aboard. How is this explained? What in the Emperors name are all these people doing on board? Where the fuck do they fit and how do they feed themselve?? How the Imperium can back this all up logistically? How many freaking decks do these ships have?? I was going to make detailed maps of every deck on the ship, but this complicates things...
>>
>>45965476
Imperium ships range in size from "a flying city" to "a flying planet".

Most of the crew will live their entire lives within the vessel.
>>
How fun do you guys think a Nurgle worshipping Heretek is to play in Black Crusaide?
>>
>>45966330
Sounds like a tank outside of a plague marine. If you go for the heretek in ToF, you can pick up nurgle psychic powers.
>>
Would it be too much to give the daemon weapon treatment to weapons on a daemon engine?
>>
So, I figure there's enough newer people in this thread to warrant this question.

What are some basic do's and don'ts for a new player's first character?

I've done some GMing for DH, and, as I believe I brought up a long ass time ago, an ill-fated Black Crusade campaign (FUCK BC), and honestly, people new to the setting playing psykers is usually a pretty big NO for me. I've had too many new players think 40k psykers are just like wizards in other settings, and while its fun to see the consequences of a retarded psyker brandishing his powers in a crowded hive city (that actually happened), its ruined a few parties.

I suppose a good "do" is work with the party. Lone wolves die painfully most of the time.
>>
>>45967578
Loading up on lore skills when you have no idea of how the lore works.

Giving NPCs the benefit of the doubt, especially in DH and BC. ESPECIALLY in DH.
>>
>>45967762
Oh, tying into the lore skills thing, assuming things work in the imperium like how they work in real life.
>>
>>45966683
Very much so.
>>
>>45967889
In a rules heavy way or an OP way?
>>
>>45968545
Very much the overpowered.
>>
>>45965476
>What in the Emperors name are all these people doing on board?
Most of them are doing manual labor. Human bodies are cheaper and easier than automation.
>>Where the fuck do they fit and how do they feed themselve??
Voidsmen get family bunks that range in size and quality from "set of hotbunks near their assigned workspace" to "Small studio apartment per family". They stockpile a ton of food and grow what they can hydroponically, especially the ploin fruit.
>How the Imperium can back this all up logistically?
The Imperium is huge.
>How many freaking decks do these ships have??
Couple dozen to a couple hundred, depends on the ship.
>I was going to make detailed maps of every deck on the ship, but this complicates things...
Yeah, nah, your autism isn't up to this. Trust me. And between half to a third of the ship is likely sealed off for various reasons and full of mutants anyway.
>>
>>45969742
Is any form of autism up to mapping out every deck of a Lunar Battlecruiser? Mine sure as shit ain't.

Fucking Rain Man couldn't do that shit. That's the genius of GW. When no one can map the entirety of a locale, you can pull shit out of your ass constantly.

"Yeah, we totally have a drop-capable Imperial Cathedral on board. Its right next to the hydroponics bay we've never mentioned before and never will again, across from the warp-tainted heads that have tentacles in the bowl that give you a heretical handjob."
>>
>>45970810
Jesus fuck, I need to go to bed.
>>
In Black Crusade, if a ranged daemon weapon Warp Flame attribute was used as an improvised weapon, would the attack have the Warp Weapon or the Proven (3) quality? If the weapon has a bayonet attached to it, how would it affect which effect is used?
>>
>>45971154
Most of this is opinion based as the 40K RPGs are notoriously fucking shit when it comes to definitive rules judgements, but I would say.
1. Improvised weapon attacks use the improvised weapon stats, not the gun's stats. Which means no Flame quality, and no Proven quality.
2. A bayonet or other melee attachment is not a part of the weapon proper, (much like an Exterminator cartridge) and thus doesn't benefit from the Daemon Weapon's qualities.
>>
>>45971498
My counter argument is if the Ranged Weapon itself, projectile and weapon, is alit with eldritch fire, and the PC can wield it only by the Blessings of the Dark Gods, then yes, a stock strike should count as on fire/Warp Weapon.
>>
>>45967578
Don't metagame, role-play well, have fun and enjoy the game
>>
>>45971678
If those things were true, then yes.
However, they aren't.

The Warp Flame Daemon Weapon attribute states that
>"Unnatural fires are a frequent part of the arcane lore related to Tzeentch, and many of Tzeentch’s daemons are wrought from the fires of the warp. The daemon within the weapon is one such creature, giving the weapon a lambent glow that rises to a hellish inferno when it is used to attack."

So no, it's not a gun weathed in Chaotic Fires.
It glows, which then goes inferno when it's used.

So as a GM, I would say no.
>>
File: Drop Temple.jpg (219 KB, 572x628) Image search: [Google]
Drop Temple.jpg
219 KB, 572x628
Roll20 Rogue Trader GM here

Me: >>45960740
>>45955507
>>45955524
>>45955543

Here's my latest work:

>Auto temple
>The Auto Temple is a fully staffed temple of the Imperial Creed mounted within the vessel. In addition to tending to the needs of the crew, the Auto Temple may be dropped to a planet’s surface from orbit. This enables the staunch missionaries to directly tend to the needs of the unwashed heathens with the full resources of an Imperial Church. When a vessel needs to leave orbit, the Auto Temple may be disassembled and returned to the craft by a work crew and lifters. This process takes two to three days.
>Tend the Flock: The constant support of the Temple’s Priests increases Morale by 2.
>Convert the Heretic: When working towards a Creed objective, the players earn an additional 150 Achievement Points towards completing that objective.

Ever since my players got this for their ship they've made good use of it, so I knew I'd have to make a good asset for it. I can pick it up and plop it down on any map; it's supported by four legs that extend once it's dropped from orbit and the stairs lead up to the front door.
>>
So I am about to start my first game of Dark Heresy 2.0 Core only.

Only Introduction to 40K universe was a very brief Rogue Trader game.

For my first character I decided to go for Forge World > Techpriest > Assassin. I rolled shit for HP and and Ballistics so I am kinda crewed for traditional combat roles. Basic plan is to be the Techie/Security guy who plants bomb traps/chucks grenades. Does the Assassin's Sure kill work with explosive thrown weapons like Grenades?
>>
>>45973589
What do you mean by core only? No Enemies Within/Without/Beyond/UNKNOWN?

Yes.
>>
>>45973891
Any reason why those are disallowed?
>>
>>45973740
Yeah no supplements.

Thanks, that's good to hear.
>>
>>45973740
>What do you mean by core only? No Enemies Within/Without/Beyond/UNKNOWN?

Can't believe someone needs to ask this question
>>
I have Heightened Senses Sight and Hearing. If I roll Scrutiny, do I get +20 for because I'm observing the person's body language and tone of voice?
>>
>>45973945
The DM just wanted to do Core to start with since 2 of the other players have never done 40k before. He said we could investigate them if we wanted, but I wouldn't know if I was missing out on something that would help with my unorthodox character.
>>
>>45974007
Not every time you roll Scrutiny, only if it's appropriate.
Which in this case it probably is.
>>
Hey, awhile back, I mentioned using Preacher's Herr Starr as a minor villain in a campaign.

Unfortunately, real life intervened, and we never got that far. Two of the players had to move out of province because their workplace shut down, and PEI is pretty bad for finding decent jobs at that time of year, and the rest of us didn't have anyone available to fill in.

So, anyone else ever try using characters from outside 40k modified into the setting? Haarlock doesn't count, btw.

Also, does anyone else find framing the story like a TV show, as a tool to show out-of-focus events and such, effective? Its worked pretty well so far for me.
>>
>>45974415
Mostly just as inspiration, my last few groups have been snarky fucking assholes who thought every hint of simularity between something I introduced and some other IP was the mark of a talentless failure.

I mean christ, underwater cities are fucking awesome, and it's not 40K if there aren't mutants...
>>
>>45957824
Ergo, entirely appropriate for 40k
>>
>>45963417
>>45963634
So I take it noone wants to bother offering input on these character ideas. Or just noone wants to read it. Well, whichever, I'm done work, relaxed and checked my messages elsewhere, and I'm about to get going. Last chance for you elegan/tg/entlemen to toss in your two cents.
>>
>>45975781
Read more canon, every sanctioned Psyker goes to Terra, and the place is a fucking mess of slum cities right next to wondrous palaces.
>>
>>45975855
I realize that bit, the Jedi isn't supposed to be sanctioned though. The whole idea was for him to be as close to Jedi as possible within the setting, which essentially means he's against the Empire, or at least has very heretical thoughts while trying to stay alive.

Or was that directed at another character idea?

PS: I actually asked about Terra repeatedly both in these threads and to my GM and the experienced player in the group.

PPS: Everyone: Do you have any wh40k novel recommendations that do a good job at giving a look at as much of the various Imperium paths and lifestyles as possible? I realize an all-encompassing tour in a single novel is next to impossible, so I'm looking for the next best thing. It may not help in the development of my next character, but it will help me grasp a lot more than summaries and explanations on various webpages and wikis...
>>
>>45975997
Pretty much every conceivable lifestyle is possible within the Imperium given planetary diversity.

Just remember to wrap it up in the twin constants of the Imperium. The Ecclesiarchy, and the Tithe.
>>
Any have a food 40K font recommendation?
Completely forgot which font I used for my Data-Slate docs last time, and I want to use it again for my ones this game.
>>
>>45976189
A big mac with large fries?
>>
How do you guys test the balance of your d10's? The float method is getting me way too many 8's among my dice to make sense so I'm not sure if it works as well for d10's (plus I have a few that sink like rocks no matter how hard I try) and the formulae I've found for testing dice balance are only for d6's and d20's.
>>
>>45976730
I don't.
Let the dice roll what they will.
Is it really that much of a problem for you?
>>
>>45976730
>Way too many 8s
Are you sure they aren't Khrone-aligned dice?
>>
>>45976778
He should probably stop bleeding all over them.
And start masturbating with them.
>>
>>45976762
Well, considering my own superstitions and the way the dice seem to roll sometimes, I have to wonder if some of mine aren't biased.

>>45976778
I sure as hell hope not, because almost all of the dice I tested so far were like that, and those that weren't either sank or I had two that rolled consistent 9's. The others at least just rolled frequent 8's.

>>45976827
Umm.... Not sure if...what... idk you just confuse me.
>>
>>45976898
>Consistent 9s
Aligned to Tzeentch
>>
>>45976898
I hope those digits aren't a bad omen...

I just want to make sure my dice are as random as they can be, I know that especially opaque dice have a risk of being biased, and most of mine are opaque.
>>
>>45976730
>>45976898
Administrate the sacred rites of sanctification and purge the obvious chaos taint that is taking root in your dice.
>>
Rolled 68 (1d100)

>>45978384
Gotcha. Attempting to do so. Let's see if 4chan's dice are in my favor at least.
>>
I have a question about Navigators.

They aren't Psykers, by the rules. But... What happens if a Navigator downs some Spook or Geist? Can they GET psyker powers? Or become psykers via mutation?
>>
>>45979431
No, Navigators can never get psychic powers.
>>
>>45943960
You'll be a superpowered psyker whenever you're awake... and then you'll crash and sleep for like three days.

Also, what books are those drugs from? I can't find them anywhere in the 2e Dark Heresy or the Only War books. Are they from Black Crusade?
>>
>>45980234
White Void is in Rogue Trader: Into The Storm. Sandstone and Zumthorian Greyve are in Dark Heresy (1e) Book of Judgement (the Arbites supplement).
>>
>>45979463
So what happens?
>>
>>45980796
Drug has no effect.
Navigators always generate Navigator mutations...

I think they can use Sorcery just like any mortal however.
>>
cockslap
>>
>>45974758
40K is also a kitchen sink setting where all of those things, with damn near whatever else you want, is warranted.
>>
Still looking to see if anyone has compiled the chargen options for dh2, or even just has most of them so far in good sized images or something. I am planning to set up a sort of chargen field guide, complete with a small binder, page sleeves, and etc, which can be expanded as more options get added.

The larger/better quality the better. I'm not sure if my pdfs have good enough quality or if the ones I have will let me export individual pages to edit yet. If I have to screenshot everything the quality will drop like a rock.
>>
>>45983499
Alright, figured I'd try with my setup... IDK how to export with Adobe Reader right now unless it's to print to xps, which borks the text. And while Photoshop could presumably import entire pages and I could save them to image... I don't have Photoshop.

If anyone could get me good quality image files of the chargen options (homeworld, background, and role, elite advances optional) from any book I would be grateful. Or even just the whole pages, I have no problem with doing all the cropping.
>>
Could anyone share Rogue Trader - Faith and Coin oef version? I can only find the scanned version.
>>
desperation bump

also fuck the Tau.
>>
File: 1425834952170.png (269 KB, 500x436) Image search: [Google]
1425834952170.png
269 KB, 500x436
>>45987959
>>
File: 1437969618460.jpg (92 KB, 680x495) Image search: [Google]
1437969618460.jpg
92 KB, 680x495
>>45987975
>>
New books ever?
>>
>>45988228
Have you not been paying attention?

DH 2E just had an expansion about daemonic shit that we've been asking for since launch, Enemies Beyond. What makes you think we aren't getting new books?
>>
File: 1276015421327.jpg (158 KB, 360x504) Image search: [Google]
1276015421327.jpg
158 KB, 360x504
Anyone have a screenshot\scan of the Penal World option from Enemies Beyond?
>>
I just realized you guys are still using my old MEGA link. I'll throw Enemies Without in, as soon as someone gets a EB pdf, I'll throw it in.

Also, if anyone wants it, I can give them read/write access so this doesn't happen again. Just provide an email, and I'll send you the link.
>>
>>45988545
Also, unlike when I first pieced this thing together, I have not-shit internet, so no 6 hour upload this time.
>>
File: 1436745070450.png (229 KB, 800x592) Image search: [Google]
1436745070450.png
229 KB, 800x592
>>45988641
>>45988545
Thanks m8
>>
>>45988545
Or a contact name on MEGA, that'll work too.
>>
>>45988360

Never mind, theres a kat torrent with EB,
>>
>>45988744
Actually, fuck it.

Shas, you here?
>>
I guess no one has RT - Faith and Coing high quality pdf than...

>>45988545
Here is Enemy Beyond
https://www.4shared.com/account/home.jsp#dir=vcp_6AMo
>>
>>45988903
Cheers.
>>
>>45988329
Yeah but that's the last in expansions from the three main ordos of the only game getting publication
Now is the time of major decision making for FFG to make more stuff or stop printing for 40krpgs because there's nothing they /have/ to make anymore
>>
>>45989131
They could try making BC not suck.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 47

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.