[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
DM doesn't like to kill
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: lord-goku-jesus-thumb.jpg (30 KB, 280x200) Image search: [Google]
lord-goku-jesus-thumb.jpg
30 KB, 280x200
I recently joined up in the middle of a campaign for 3.5. Group and DM are absolutly wonderful, with a story rich and character development heavy game going. I absolutly love it....

Except that the battles we do have are compairable to god having a fist fight with a toddler. At level 12 we are literally having fights with monsters at almost half the groups level (7 of us) and it's always in such few numbers that it can't even get the advantage of quantity on us. I talked to the DM about this but he always insists that it's because he hates the idea of killing off PC's. I love this group but seriously... I need some difficulty.

So how do I convince my DM to up the ante?
>>
>>45909299
By actually talking to him instead of whining on the internet.
>>
Suggest a trip to the 9 Hell's.
>>
>>45909373
How long before we decide this is a meme instead of the best possible advice?
>>
>>45909373
>. I talked to the DM about this but he always insists that it's because he hates the idea of killing off PC's.

Maybe you should read the OP instead of whining on the internet.
>>
>>45909532
Exchanging two sentences does not constitute "talking" to the GM. Well, technically it does, but you know what I mean.
>>
>>45909299
Make the game a challenge yourself instead.

Play a suboptimal class, use weaker weapons because it fits your character more. Hell, fight naked.
>>
>>45909299

Talk with the rest of the group and sound them out. Ask if they're alright with player character death. See if they also want a tougher challenge.

Failing that you can negotiate with your DM by telling him you don't mind the risk of character death, and that maybe there are ways he can make your specifically face more dangerous challenges. If you're a rogue or the lead martial character or something then that might be entirely feasible.

>>45909373
>OP says he's already talked to his DM
>OP asks for advice about how to convince his DM
>You: "Hurr durr talk to ur DM, lol I'm le helping xD"

You're a fucking idiot.
>>
>>45909299
My DM tends to put a lot of planning into his games and as such tends to not want to kill us because that would mean a lot of time and planning was wasted. This does not keep him from throwing challenging encounters at us, made more challenging by our poor decision making. We usually get out of situations basically okay due to preposterous luck, but I'm sure he's fudged some outcomes to keep us from getting straight wrecked like we probably should've.

tl;dr Tell your DM that it's totally possible to throw challenging fights at players where they feel like there's a threat of loss, without there actually being a threat of PC death.
>>
>>45909299
If you can't do it with a good long discussion I don't think you really can, but try treating the enemies like toddlers or excitable little dogs if they're going to be such a non-threat. They obviously don't know what they're doing, they don't have their own best interested at heart, and they're honestly kind of cute. Non-lethal them and try to save them from themselves. Be as unwilling to kill monsters as he is to kill PCs. This should also give you a greater challenge, as trying to take someone down without killing them is usually much harder than killing them.

Alternatively, try and engage as many enemies as possible. If you think some more monsters might be close by try to bring them into the fight.

Do this, of course, after discussing it with the other players to see if they'd be okay with it.
>>
>>45909299
Volunteer to run a one-shot dungeon session and throw some serious shit at the party for the fight. They should be able to win without casualties, and your GM should see that fights can be difficult without being fatal.
>>
>>45910921
Last time someone did that a PC seduced a dragon.
>>
>>45913848
>Last time someone did that a PC seduced a dragon.

That escalated quickly
>>
>>45909299
You shouldn't.
People are playing the game for the reasons you stated, rich story and etc. Suddenly the focus will be combat and even you will want to drop the game because what made a good story so far will be gone
>>
>>45909901
my DM just allows us to reroll characters that are at the same level as the rest of the party, just to keep the campaign moving. The penalty for dying is losing a character you've put a lot of effort into roleplaying and developing
>>
Ask him to run Tomb of Horrors so that he gets a taste for it
>>
>>45909442
When people start applying it broadly to situations where it doesn't apply, like right now.
He's already talked to the guy, he's looking for ways to better his own situation or to convince the guy.

Talking to the guy or not isn't the problem.
>>
>>45909422
Hells what?
>>
File: 1433970201952.gif (946 KB, 320x190) Image search: [Google]
1433970201952.gif
946 KB, 320x190
>>45913919
>implying fighting things that aren't toddlers detracts from the story
>implying what made the story good was the lopsided fights
Why even have classes, skills, or fights if the fights are just executions? The GM might as well say "you kill them all" and skip over it.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.