[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the best system for a totally homebrewed setting?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 4
File: 1373013068418.jpg (66 KB, 512x548) Image search: [Google]
1373013068418.jpg
66 KB, 512x548
What's the best system for a totally homebrewed setting? I used to use 4e but I just don't like it, and I want to branch out for my next game.
>>
>>45908181
Fate
Savage Worlds
GURPS
Risus
>>
>>45908262
Cheers, I'll look into these.
>>
Probably GURPS. It has very simple core rules and they even have a version of the core book that condenses the crucial bits in case you were a bozo who assumed he had to apply every rule for every game of GURPS. You can make it as simple or as complicated as you want.

There are tons of splatbooks for all kinds of settings with different magic systems, historical accuracy, time periods, etc. Usually this means for a random zombie survival modern game you just use the CQC skill but for a campy Kung Fu setting you pull out the relevant pdf/book with all the detailed melee combat and skills for something cool since it's the focus.

Hardest part is that you basically have to build it yourself, not an issue if you can homebrew well, amd guide character creation and what sources your players can use since they and you can get buried in all the options.

It's built to be very modular.

Some quirks with the system imho is that combat is very very lethal and finishes in <6 turns more often than not. Unless you up the power level, which you can easily do, but it's important to know that your typical high fantasy adventurer has a lot of points (way more than some zombie survivalist schmuck) from the get go even at 'low level'. Even the D&Dlike module accounts for this which is good because they do a lot of the heavy lifting for you. Same with the various magic system modules.
>>
>>45908181

Depends on the setting, but yeah I'd say
>>45908262 has all the decent 'Generic' rule sets.
>>
>>45908181
Korra is literally cancer and you're cancer for posting it.
>>
>>45908181
GURPS
>>
>>45908521
Oh get over yourself.
>>
>>45908181
I like BRP, it's percentile skill based roll-under d100 so it has nice statistical curve, and it's as simple or as crunchy as you want it to be.
>>
>>45908635
2d10 isnt a bell curve at all... its a pyramid
>>
File: 1445041663901.jpg (24 KB, 453x470) Image search: [Google]
1445041663901.jpg
24 KB, 453x470
>>45908635
>d100
>curve
>>
>>45908181
I've always liked Mutants and Masterminds for this sort of thing. It's got the tools to make almost any character you can imagine.
>>
>>45908181
ORE
>>
>>45908181
Not knowing anything about the setting, I'd suggest Fate
>>
File: EmondsField.jpg (638 KB, 1565x1600) Image search: [Google]
EmondsField.jpg
638 KB, 1565x1600
Okay, let's structure this a little.

If you want it like DnD, but elaborate, go with Gurps.

If you want it like DnD, but good, the Luke Crane games are your best bet. Start with Torchbearer or Mouse Guard, but keep Burning Wheel in mind.

If you want it still somewhat like DnD, but totally flexible, then ORE is your system. You can pick up Reign Enchiridion and just play, or go to modder heaven with mechanical flexibility and easy balancing from super powers over meta mechanics to moral stats.

If you want nothing like DnD then try Fate. It can be hard to get into with DnD experience, but it's a pwerful mechanic. Start with FAE and see how it goes.

Now I have to mention Runequest or people will yell at me. It's BRP so straight sim, all d% skill checks, and everything relies on the GM. You can freeform until combat or demand skill checks for every mildly questionable task. Better know what you're doing.
>>
>>45908181
5e.
>>
>>45908635
As ignorant as the post is, BRP games tend to be the absolute best at world building.

I suggest RuneQuest 6. The character creation leans heavily on social upbringing and background (including family and profession), so it is extremely easy to make organic characters in any world.

There are 5 modular magic systems, and tips to make magic feel right for your system by changing the basic rules. You can regain magic power by sacrificing animals to deities or you can recover them over time. You can have Mystics that enhance natural ability with inner power and Shamans that speak and channel spirits.

The equipment is given an established age they come from, so you can customize weapons and armor to your setting's technology.

There are excellent supplements, including amazing firearms rules.

Combat is quick and lethal, but players have a meta currency to survive easier which can be used in a number of ways to fuel narrative power.

Extremely easy to homebrew. Nothing is easier than saying "this creature has about a 70% chance to land a blow" or making magic items that just do something insides of giving +X as a requirement.
>>
>>45908676
>>45908635
(1d10)+10*(1d10) is the common percentile rolling method for most percentile systems
anydice.com says that with that setup any roll has an equal chance
>>
Without knowing the setting and thus just going with setting agnostic it would be either these >>45908635 >>45908262 or d6. d6 and Savage Worlds are going to be on the simpler side of things, GURPS on the more complex sode of things (although I feel it's complexity is pretty overstated) and BRP is somewhere in the middle at around the 'D&D' level.
>>
>>45908181
G U R P S
U
R
P
S
>>
>>45908181
Fantasycraft is very setting-agnostic.
>>
>>45910759
Seconded.

I would recommend not GURPs. It's needlessly fiddly and feels like they chose accuracy over simplicity way way too much
>>
>>45908181
Depends on what type of setting you want. Not all systems are made equal for all genres. GURPS and FATE are decent at being universal systems - personally I prefer GURPS of the two but I'm not a big fan of either - but if you know that you want a setting that focuses on martial arts, for example, you could look into something like Feng Shui, for example, because it's actually designed with that aspect in mind, and so on.
>>
>>45908181
5e works OK for a home brew setting. If you want to stay on the D&D ride. You might prefer branching out to something else however, like Savage Worlds or GURPs (I admit I hate suggesting it). Also try taking crit tables from other systems to spice up the lethality, Dark Heresy and CoC are good ones.
>>
>>45909994
>anydice.com says
Simple math tells you that every number has a one in hundred chance of coming up with that method. People who claim otherwise are either meth addicts who live in trailer parks or special needs children.
>>
File: c20160314.jpg (195 KB, 1778x1000) Image search: [Google]
c20160314.jpg
195 KB, 1778x1000
>>45909645
Is Fate the one with tri-stats?
>>
>>45910759
>>45913102
Thirding FantasyCraft.
>>
>>45908262
I'd add silcore to that as well.
>>
>>45917564
>silcore
Never heard of that let me look it up...
>d20, attribute-bloat with god-stats and essentially mandatory choices for a mecha game
What the fuck man?

>>45916341
Fate Accelerated Edition has 6 stats, no skills. Fate Core only has skills and no stats. Both have Aspects, which are pretty much completely different to the way any other RPG does character-specification.
If you want your RPG to go like a tv show with everyone you're playing with on the writing team play Fate.

If you want internal realism use GURPS.

If your want my-not!DnD-fantasy-homebrew-#2910691 use DnD or another d20 system.

If you want all the familair tropes and lotsa combat that's in DnD but don't want fantasy go Savage Worlds.
>>
>>45917619
Silcore is D6 based actually though the game itself needs a little polish it does some interesting things and actually can be quite fun to play as well as has some great fucking settings to riff off of.
>>
Hey guys, OP here, fell asleep and saw there were a shitload of posts.

GURPS seems like it's closest to what I want, but for the record, I'm using a (unique, I hope) sci-fi setting, if it makes any difference. I've been homebrewing some mechanics as well that were suited to 4e specifically, hopefully any system I use can port those over rather well.

I appreciate all the suggestions so far, I am relatively new to DMing and I really just want to give my players the best experience possible. I'm in love with my setting and I don't want to ruin it by having the system not compliment it (which is why I am homebrewing some rules in the first place)
>>
>>45919566
Oh and even though I like GURPS I am gonna look into the other ones that were posted, for the record.
>>
>>45919566
Oh, I forgot to mention one other thing, this is a campaign I'm going to be running online, probably through a forum. Say whatever you want about that format, but that's what I'll be doing. I'm sure I can make any of these work there, but just in case someone has a good suggestion for it, I'm all ears.
>>
>>45913102
>the GURPS is too complicated for muh small brain meme
Holy shit, how are you able to type when you're this retarded?
>>
>>45919566
Yeah, GURPS is definitely going to be the best for sci-fi. Never done a game through an online forum though. Don't have the patience for it.
>>
>>45919881
Personally, I like that the slower format gives players more time to be creative with their roleplay. You need to be a lot more selective with your players though. It has pros and cons over "regular" DND.
>>
>>45919566
Gurps is a corset, not a Slanket. And it causes early onset gamer autism.

Scifi does very well in Fate.

If you're serious, ORE is still your best bet. But it doesn't do scifi out of the box simply for a lack of a published setting - there's just StarORE and ORE Mecha.

Try it all and make up your own mind.
>>
>>45919881
Simply imagine managing a GURPS PC through telnet. This is definitely not going to be the best...
>>
>>45919938
It's pretty hilarious that you're accusing others of being autistic.
>>
>>45919938
Well like I said, I have my own setting, so would ORE work well with it?
>>
>>45919566

Sci-Fi? Then GURPS is your best bet. The sheer amount of sourcebooks and supplements will allow you to create and run any variation of the future imaginable. Ultratech is a must-have for sci-fi worldbuilding even if you're not playing GURPS.
>>
>>45908929
I agree with Anon
It is somewhat familiar to D&Ders, it is totally flexible, it is classless, and it builds anything from puppies to Satan himself. get Herolab and character building is a cinch.
>>
>>45920025
The thing about ORE is that it isn't a set of mechanics that tell you how to resolve your world. It is a toolbox with ways to make your world resolve like you want. There are published games, and they are very good. But they are always just one interpretation, they focus on one kind of game. You can have it gritty or heroic, sim or meta, it depends on what you want to make.

In the end everything balances in a dice pool for an action. That makes it really easy to keep everything nice and challenging, you simply count dice. Now these can some from all kinds of places. A classic structure would be dice from stats and skills.

But ORE lets you change that. What if your stats were not things like strength, dexterity, intelligence, ... but moral dimensions with 2 opposed extremes which are mutually exclusive. Or what if additionally to skills you add dice for relationships of your character if they play into the action? What if in order to get dice for your super powers you have to negotiate with the player next to you who has completely different motivation and goals than your character? This is how flexible ORE is.

At the same time it's one roll per character and round fast and very precise. You can get per limb stun or kill damage from that one roll, several times even if you attack with multiple actions.

Or you can keep it incredibly simple. ORE just scales and bends. It's not a system to look up what to roll. It's a system to decide what to roll based on what that will do to the game.
>>
5thing Fantasy Craft. I'm running a fully homebrewed campaign and it is working well. It's easy to make and balance new classes and species you come up with, as well as weapons/feats. The NPC system in particular is incredible for making NPCs rather than relying on a beastiary or just going with what sounds about right. Furthermore, the Campaign Qualites system helps distinguish the setting.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.