[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Party Loot
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
Hey /tg/, I've come upon an unusual problem. I've just started running a 3.5 game, and the party is too good. Not the usual "I can't throw anything challenging at them" kind of good, but whenever they come upon treasure that isn't held specifically by a bad guy, they either refuse it or donate it. Skeleton has a bracelet? Leave it there. Treasure chests in a hidden tomb? Leave it there.

My question is, how do I provide an adequate amount of loot for the party to keep and use to progress without them guilting themselves out of it?
>>
Maybe reward their virtue? Not in monetary sense, perhaps. Support from those they donated to, protection against temptation?
>>
Make them an offer they can refuse morally, like they save a village and the villagers offer them some stuff to show gratitude
>>
They're not the players you deserve, but the players you need.

Run something better for them. D&D is a game about increasing numbers. Your players are the rare breed that cares about developing characters, rather than stats.
>>
>>45903605
I'd just increase the treasure the bad guy has.
and remove the treasure chests and jewelry on skeletons.
>>
>>45903605
What the hell? It's like they're anti-adventurers. I've never heard of someone injecting the "take nothing but photos, leave nothing but footprints" mentality into a dungeon crawl.
>>
>>45903782

I know, right? It took me completely by surprise.

>>45903717

I know, I'd love to, but Burning Wheel is awfully dense to teach over the web, and I'm not familiar enough with the system to adapt my homebrew stuff to it.

>>45903739
>>45903710

I've pondered these, I'll probably do some variation of them in the future. However, I'd like to mix it up and/or make it more realistic than "the village of dirt farmers hands you a +3 sword".

Thank you all for the replies so far.
>>
>>45903927
Why not have the characters approached by a deity with charity and humility as domains? The deity grants them boons as long as they maintain their mindset. The boons could be anything from enchanted gear and stats boosts to friendly celestial beings as summonable creatures.
>>
>>45903605
Make the bad guy loot the dungeon before the characters arrive.
>>
>>45903782

I guess you could call them eco-adventurers?
>>
Played a game where one character was in it only for the babes, never took rewards in favor of getting to have a nice time with a lady involved with the quest.

Either way, you don't have to do anything. Unless they are very competent, they'll soon start to fail in the face of appropriate CR without appropriate equipment and items. The simple system itself will force them to change their habits, or they'll perish.
>>
Thanks all, just needed enough ideas to get my brain working again. Polite sage.
>>
Give them an estate.

If they become minor nobility with holdings, then they've got something meaningful to do with their profits; putting in new wells, fixing up windmills, whatever. There's no end to the amount of shit they could do for their tenants while building their standing.
>>
>>45903927
>I've pondered these, I'll probably do some variation of them in the future. However, I'd like to mix it up and/or make it more realistic than "the village of dirt farmers hands you a +3 sword".

Villagers have the best loot - at least if you're a cunning DM. The villager offers your character their favorite 'Lucky' item (a stone, a coin, etc) - which turns out to really be a magic +1 luck stone unbeknownst to the villager or the PC. Or said 'Lucky Silver Piece' turns out to be a rare and highly valuable antique coin worth a couple thousand gold pieces when the players are at the next large town or city.
As for things like a +3 Sword - that's what 'family heirlooms' are for. And while the PCs might be above looting corpses, it doesn't mean that the villagers are above a little 'Adventure' capitalism' when the opportunity presents itself. Watch '7 Samurai' sometime - there's a great scene where the villagers produce weapons and armor from a hidden cache. The samurai, are like 'Wow - where the heck did this come from?' and one of them notes that villagers are cunning and shameless because they often have nothing left to lose. So they looted dead samurai when they had the chance. Obviously you can't do that all the time, but you shouldn't need it more than once in a while.
>>
>>45903605
You save a smith, and he insists that you come back to his shop later. He ropes the party into helping him forge something, and at the end hands them a stack of magic items they practically made.

Should be pretty hard to turn something like that down.

And you can follow that up with passing out item creation feats (ignore the rules, make them free) and letting the players solve their equipment problem from then on.
>>
>>45906516

Maybe someone who was helped by the PC has connection, witch could be quite useful for the PC.
> be in the city watch snice I came to the city
> now I'm captain
> can't go back to my hometown because of my job
> my brother just wrote me that our village was saved by a strange group of adventurer.
> a strange group of adventurer come to the gate of the city.
> wait a minute, it's them!
> buy them drink
> present them to a few member of the watch
> they have an artifact to steal from the local crime boss.
> maybe I could send a patrol or two next to a certain storehouse
> and organize a raid on his organisation HQ with said adventurers
>>
Legacy weapons and equipment. As they level, so does their equipment.
>>
>>45906516

That is really fucking clever. I haven't seen 7 Samurai in years, so I hadn't thought of the cache thing.

>>45906608

Also good.

>>45906807

I was thinking about this as well, since the bad guys are totally going to do the same thing. Glad I hunted this thread down again, thanks all.
>>
>>45907461
Glad to help. Some of the best magic items my groups have found over the years didn't even look like typical items. Or they did otherwise useful but mundane things rather than being uber-weapons. Cloaks or boots that never got wet in bad weather, cloth sacks that kept food fresh for unnaturally long time periods. Magical flint and tinder that would always start a fire even if the wood was all but water soaked. One favorite was a nail that the PCs discovered would always point North when tossed in the air and allowed to fall to the ground. It proved very handy, if a bit noisy, when lost above or below ground.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.