[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
MtG or Yu-Gi-Oh
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: maxresdefault.jpg (369 KB, 1900x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
369 KB, 1900x1080
Hello /tg/

I want a time and money sink so I've decided to consider a TCG, only thing is - I'm not sure which one to pick. I have friends (implying) who play both, but I'm still on the fence.

Which one should I go for? Or what are the alternatives to these two?

Thanks in advance.
>>
>>45899841
MTG
YGO is only good if you only play online
>>
Play Netrunner. Its a better game than either.
>>
>>45899887
>TCG
>Netrunner
>>
>>45899841
Magic has more room for homebrewing.

YGO is much more strongly focused on archetypes.
>>
Between the two, I'd say Magic over Yugioh any day. Alternatives would be, if you have a scene for it near you, Force of Will, Vanguard and The Spoils. All three have some popularity depending on where you're at. I really like Spoils and Force, know basically nothing about Vanguard other than that it's insanely expensive.
>>
>>45899841
As someone who's played YGO ever since it came to America, I'm going to say for you to take Magic. YGO has become a cancer every time they add new and ridiculous mechanics. I'm currently switching over to Magic, I have more friends who play it anyways.
>>
>>45899875
>>45900034
>>45900078
Thanks for the replies so far anons. Could anyone point me in the direction of a comparison between the two or give their own pro/con view of it?
>>
>>45899841
MTG
>Higher card and deck prices
>Rotating Standard format, need to update deck often
>Second hand economy reliant on tournament results and reprints (which are not very often)

YGO
>Cheaper deck prices overall
>Non-rotating Advanced format (similar to Legacy)
>Banlist is updated 4 times a year
>More frequent reprints, almost guaranteed within a year of its release
>Second hand economy is almost nonexistent and/or not viable
>>
File: 254_mountain2_csog5qoe85.jpg (154 KB, 620x751) Image search: [Google]
254_mountain2_csog5qoe85.jpg
154 KB, 620x751
>>45900134
Ygo pros
>Fast matches, mostly playing to rush out huge damage
>game shakes up with new archetypes and card types every couple of sets
MTG pros
>multiple formats instead of just ocg, tcg, and traditional. Standard, modern, legacy, vintage, limited, edh, pauper.
>game types built around multi-player
>Drafts
>lot of deck variety and homebrew encouragement
>standard rotation keeps the format changing, can sometimes be seen as a con for cards rotating out.
ygo cons
>expensive to keep up with the meta.
>ban list can be real cancerous
>player base is filled with a lot of assholes, young kids, and young kids who will probably grow up to be assholes.
>you pretty much need to invest into making two decks when considering the extra deck and that will be then most expensive thing to build
Mtg cons
>expensive if playing mostly any format that isn't draft, pauper, or casual kitchen table funsies. Standard can currently be expensive or budget. Modern demands some dosh, legacy demands some heavy dosh, vintage demands money that could buy you a house to build a deck.
>Mtg has its assholes too. I'd say it has less than ygo but my experience with the scenes my differ from yours
>standard rotation might not be enjoyable for you
>modern banlist works similarly to ygo banlist and is suspicious recently of product pushing like ygo.
>current standard sets have been kind of weak in power level but seem to be rising again
>mana screw happens to everyone, don't let it get you down
>mana flood happens too

I'd say play mtg. I played ygo in college and haven't played since. I tried getting back into the game once but it just didn't work out all that well. Magic is more interesting with all the different formats. Standard and modern are the biggest competitive scenes. Legacy depends on the area, as does pauper. Almost everyone plays EDH now. I'd say learn to play, enter a few drafts so you can get some ideas of how deck building works in mtg and see how you like it.
>>
File: E-CMF-019.jpg (164 KB, 534x747) Image search: [Google]
E-CMF-019.jpg
164 KB, 534x747
Another option is force of will, which is new and young in the West. Plays very similar to magic with battle mechanics similar to yugioh. It's fun and cheap right now. The art seems to be dudes off of pixiv, the lore is either poorly translated or is just written like poop, there's lots of anime tiddies. If you like anime and want to play cards this might be a game of interest
>>
>>45900132
>>45900423
>>45900597
>>45900692

Thanks Anons. I appreciate the feedback, I'll read up on the rules and see which one I think I can learn.
>>
>>45900597
>expensive to keep up with the meta.
Not true anymore. Pepe was stupid cheap until BOS and you didn't even need Pendulum Sorc which was what sent it spiraling out of controll. Odd Eyes Magicians are still doing fine and are 3 structure decks plus some extra deck cards. Monarchs are meta and are 3 structure decks plus some cheap rares and commons.
>>
>>45900844
YGOs rules are a clusterfuck, just a heads up
>>
>>45899841

If you have friends that play both why don't you try both for free and then start a collection for the one you like more?
>>
>>45899995
>TCG
>Meaning anything other than a card game except in the strictest of senses

CCG, TCG, LCG, KCG, FCG all are essentially the same.
>>
>>45900597
You forgot the con that unless you're a nip, the company that makes YGO actively hates you
>>
>>45900954
I hadn't even considered that. Thank you.
>>45900969
Isn't the company Konami?
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.