[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Because I don't trust /v/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 6
File: 1457520162329.jpg (47 KB, 500x389) Image search: [Google]
1457520162329.jpg
47 KB, 500x389
What does he mean by this?
>>
>>45898269
>>/lit/
>>
>>45898269
I think it's something along the lines of contradictions can't exist. Like you can't apply two different sets of rules upon how something works. Such as you can't have something that functions both under the old Greek element system of things being made of varying amounts of earth, air, water, and fire, and also be made out of elemental mater such as we know it. It just wouldn't make sense.
>>
Wrong board, dumbass. We don't want your /v/ memes
>>
>>45898337
Makes sense.
>>
>>45898269
"Up is Up" and "Up is Down" cannot both coexist as a rule inside a world. It's a paradox, essentially.
>>
>>45898269
He means we must build a wall and make The hearthless pay it.
>>
>>45898269
>hat with belt and zipper
>reading this in Donald's voice

Anyway, feels like it makes sense to me. Each world works because it runs on its own internal rules and logic. Bringing a different kind of logic into it can lead to all kinds of clashes, so you shouldn't do it unless you must.
>>
He means that there is so very much to learn, and that one who knows nothing understands nothing.
>>
>>45898269
That dimension hopping is bad and that everyone who enters another dimension is automatically a Great Old One-Equivalent in it?

It's based on a I-have-not-completed-mandatory-education-tier understanding of logic here though. Or maybe Donald's a Kantian.
>>
>>45898382
>"Up is Up" and "Up is Down" cannot both coexist as a rule inside a world.

Outer space has neither, which seems to work out just fine for all of us.
>>
>>45898395
the concept of congruence?

In world building, a universe does not need to be realistic, but it must be consistent with its own rules, something of that short?
>>
He means that not a single truth (the rules of reality, so to speak) exists when multiple worlds are relevant, but they are still limited to that world exclusively.

Think about all the worlds you visit in both KH1 and 2, each mostly unique and following it's own rules. It may be ok to exist a talking pantless duck in disney castle/town(mickey's world), but it's just nonsense if the same duck existed in port royal (pirates of caribbean).

Therefore, Donald warns about the dangers of involving oneself in local affairs when you are not a native of this world, because the truth (reality) you bring with yourself may enter in conflict with the truth of the world you are visiting. Very wise for the court magician to think so, indeed.

Of course, this is related to how worlds interact with one another. In KH they are not supposed to. They are isolated with only a few being capable of travelling betwen them. That's why the story starts to fall apart (IMHO) in KH2. Too many characters start popping everywhere and everyone gets a free keyblade, but all other characters see those strange beings (Talking ducks, standing dogs, black clad emo kids with romam numerals) and simple do not react properly. The imersion breaks, and you realise they should have stoped on KH1.
>>
But Hegel says to just choose one. That doesn't sound too hard, right?
>>
>>45898442
yeah, thanks for overcomplicating it
>>
File: aww yis.gif (760 KB, 576x768) Image search: [Google]
aww yis.gif
760 KB, 576x768
>>45898464
>>
Flowery way to say cut the fucking crossovers
>>
>>45898457
Do also remember that aside from Tarzan's world and Port Royal every world has to already deal with all sorts of insane shit of their own, ranging from the world itself being a manifestation of insanity (Wonderland) to having teddy bears walk around making world ending weapons (Moogles in the first world of KH1) so the shock of seeing a mentally retarded dog walking around with only a shield and a nudist wizard duck with Tourrette's syndrome wears off quickly.
>>
>>45898269
It's an explanation why each world runs it's own thing and you're not allowed to do anything about all the peasants living in shit by bringing over some medicine from the 20th century world.

Also explains how Jack Sparrow, Aladin and anime-style original characters can all be "humans".
>>
>>45898269
>Making the slapstick duck exposit "deep" shit
Why is it so hard for the japs to understand Donald Duck?
>>
>>45898269
Shouldent that be because I don't trust /co/
>>
>>45898269
>Every world has its limits.
>Within those limits is contained a version of reality that is considered the truth for that particular world.
>Contradicting concepts can't both be true.
>If you introduce a foreign concept into a world, you force the truth of the world to adapt.
>This adaptation is violent and chaotic.
>That's why we don't inject our own concepts into other worlds.

Two speech bubbles full of text just to say "we don't disturb other worlds". Fucking japs.
>>
File: DM has had enough of the PCs.png (383 KB, 557x364) Image search: [Google]
DM has had enough of the PCs.png
383 KB, 557x364
>>45899158
>francises only ever get to be interpereted in one way and anything deviating the slightest from that is le japanese bogeyman
>>
>>45899230
The Japanese have a habit of over-clarifying things.
>>
>>45898337
But quantum physics anon.
>>
File: no weeaboo in my game.jpg (178 KB, 680x953) Image search: [Google]
no weeaboo in my game.jpg
178 KB, 680x953
>>45899158
>45899158
It is just them claiming their revenge
>>
>>45898383
They owe us a lot of hearts, so I think they'll be willing to agree in exchange for leniency on repayment
>>
I was always surprised that Donald was the spellcaster in those games, when in all the comics he's a fighter/bezerker.
>>
>>45899340
You do realize in this context he was explaining World Travelling 101 to Sora? Nigga needed to fucking clarify that shit to that dumbass kid.

Who then promptly ignored it all and went on to do whatever the fuck he did because "well, we needed to help them right?"

>pic: Donald's face when that kid jumps into a fight between Apes and Humans because "let's help them!"
>>
>>45899605
He isn't casting spells, he's shouting at Reality to make shit happen and Reality complies whimpering.
>>
>>45898269

This sounds like John Galt's huge A is A monologue in Atlas Shrugged...
>>
>>45899901
you know what, that actually makes sense when I think about it. he DOES shout every fucking minuscule spell he casts like his life depends on it
>>
>>45900031

Oops Sage
>>
>>45899375
Shhhh

We do not speak of that
>>
>>45899605
>mages can't get angry
>>
>>45899375
It's only in the copenhagen interpretation that two mutually incompatible states are superpositioned onto each other and existing simultaneously.
The many worlds interpretation just has you either have a live cat or a dead cat split off into two existent world lines. The two are both true, but they cannot interact with each other.
>>
>>45899605
Mickey has to be the king and can't go adventuring, and the only alternative was Goofy.
>>
>>45899375
Exactly.

Either something functions under Neutonian mechanics, or it functions under Quantum mechanics. It never functions under both at the same time.
>>
>>45900165
Minnie could've been a sort of witch.
>>
>>45900165
Goofy is a multiclassing bastard.
>>
>>45899158
I know, right? I imagine this in his voice and I cannot take it seriously at all.
>>
Great, now I remembered how many hours I've sunk into this irredeemable clusterfuck of a franchise in the hope to find this supposed "gem" of a game.
Fucking hell.
>>
>>45898615
That's only because in your reference frame these things are insane shit. If you were a caveman you could argue, after witnessing the 21th century through some media without actually being there, that the people of our time would not treat time stopping vampires or dragons appearing out of the blue as anything exceptionally strange since we already have devices that allow us to communicate instantly with people on the other side of the world, or weapons that can level entire cities in a blink of an eye. For a native of a given world anything outside the norm of that world is strange, interesting and possibly scary irregardless of how the inhabitants of other worlds view them.
>>
>>45898435
It's not coexisting then is it?
>>
>>45900530
The first one and only the first one was good. It was a nice balance between disney and square, IMO.

The latter games were basically Final Fantasy garbage with the odd disney character thrown in
>>
>>45899340
He was talking to Sora there, I don't blame the duck.
>>
>>45899901
>>45900054
So he's using the Thu'um?
>>
>>45900197
Who was it.... I was reading a book abbout this. They're all true, but only in certain scalar conexts. Newtonian physics work at our scale, but you need general relativity when you step up to the macroscopic scale. Step down, and bugs don't give a shit about gravity, only surface tension, down again and you need quantum physics.

They are all closer maps of the earth pasted in patchwork on the globe, they ocerlap in some places, but they're too contextual to be a perfectly detailed map of the whole earth.
>>
>>45898367
You seem upset.
>>
>>45899158

It might be a complete parody of that in the panel, Donald Duck suddenly going deep exposition hen he's ordinarily just a slapstick duck.

But here we have no context, only a snippet outside of context, a piece of another setting that is operating by its own consistent and internal logic removed from all context into a completely foreign and new narrative with its own separate consistent and intern- ohhhhhh...
>>
This thread was moved to >>>/trash/1814254
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.