[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there a way to do a BBEG encounter like pic-related in a high
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: BossGiygas.png (6 KB, 256x224) Image search: [Google]
BossGiygas.png
6 KB, 256x224
Is there a way to do a BBEG encounter like pic-related in a high fantasy P&P RPG without making it a railroad?
>>
So I did a final battle a while back. It was against an actual god. The thing was the god attempted to put the party into essentially a memory prison. It didn't have a save, I just let him do it. I took each of the players into a separate room and did a 1 on 1 half an hour session of his temptations. The entire party did in fact pass. However it actually left two of the characters permanently scarred.
>>
>>45897096
>without making it a railroad
The railroad already started the moment you decided that you were going to copy something from somewhere else and force it into your D&D game
>>
>>45897177
That doesn't make any sense. Taking something and putting it into the setting doesn't automatically mean it will destroy player agency. You're also assuming too much in your smarmy attempt to nag and think this is going into anyone's session instead of the thread being a general discussion on how certain types of encounters would translate from one medium to another.
>>
>>45897096
No. Requiring the players to use a hitherto pointless ability that only one character possesses in order to defeat the BBEG is a fucking classic railroad.

You can do a BBEG with Giygas-like fluff, but doing the encounter like Giygas' encounter without railroading is a contradiction.
>>
>>45897234
>this is what bad GMs actually believe
>>
>>45897436
The railroading happens when you try and make it play out the same way as the source material. Just taking the thing and playing it straight wherever it leads is fine.

Nothing is original anyway.
>>
>>45897290
There're ways they could go about it that provide more than a subtle hint about the trick to move forward without feeling forced.
>>
>>45897436
The existence of XYZ thing in the game does not suddenly mean you can't handle it differently than its source material unless you're that much of a braindead player.
>>
>>45897493
>Nothing is original anyway
Spoken like a truly bottom-of-the-barrel lazy piece of shit
>>
>>45897663
Come up with something right now that has never been done before.
>>
>>45897672
>if you can't do a feat that I think is impossible you are just as bad as I am!
There are few things more amusing than a small, shallow person enraged that other people dare strive to be slightly better than average
>>
>>45897692
I'm not even the guy you initially called a PoS but you're not daring at all if your reaponse is anything to go by.
>>
>>45897692
Pretty good troll, bruh.
>>
>>45897692
I don't see much striving just a whole lot of shitposting.
>>
>>45897692
>>if you can't do a feat that I think is impossible you are just as bad as I am!

On an anonymous imageboard it does if you're going to make sweeping statements like >>45897663

So far you have nothing that shows you as someone striving to be better than average or someone who can toss these sweepig statements around that doesn't apply himself. Surely, if you're making these judgements you have something to show for it. To prove that you're not another dumb cunt on the web who has no idea what he's talking, right? Otherwise why else would you be making these posts? Either nut up or shut up.
>>
>>45897718
>>45897728
>>45897768
>>45897851
Look at these hilarious little boys screeching, ape like, furious that someone exists who hasn't already given up on themselves.
>>
>>45898028
Pic related

As for OPs question, care to explain who the guy in your image is?
>>
>>45898028
>Writes like a faggot while shitposting
The whole world has already given up on your mediocre ass, Anon.
>>
>>45898044
Giygas the BBEG from Earthbound (Mother 2 in Japan). Was an alien with incredible psychic power planning to invade earth in Mother and changed his mind after the PCs sang a melody that his adoptive human mother used to sing to him. In the sequel he becomes a being of conflicted emotion but we never see him until the end of the game when he has just become a gibbering manifestation of evil. He doesn't even have a sprite that's just a battle background the gets warped and his attacks are described as being inexplicable or something your characters are unable to grasp the true form of. To win you have to pray a lot, a mechanic in the game that you probably stopped using by that point in the game.

It's notable for the game's shift in tone. It's a game about psychic kids going on a goofy and lighthearted cross country journey through timeless America for 99% of the game so the Cave of the Past (time travel is implied to fuck you up. The MCs need their souls put into robots to survive the trip and Giygas is implied to have succumbed to this state of being through using it) and Giygas become that much more disturbing when you take that into account.
>>
>>45897672
Would it even be worth it? Trying to be original in and of itself is the instigator of many a deviantart horror.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.