[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Protip: If you can't tell what color/s your character would
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 6
File: tumblr_nr5mmklTou1s9rpajo1_500.gif (20 KB, 500x339) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nr5mmklTou1s9rpajo1_500.gif
20 KB, 500x339
Protip: If you can't tell what color/s your character would be on the MtG color pie, they are a shit character.

So, /tg/, what color/s is your character?
>>
>shitposting
>>
Dear cardboard crack guy,

In the past, I would try and dishearten you.

Your jokes are are not funny, and you obviously don't put any effort into your art, so there's really nothing good about your comic, especially because it's just the kind of mindless thing that people on tumblr and facebook would post to each other because it's absolutely harmless and acts as a replacement for their personality. Them posting your comic would be their way of saying "Look, I play this game! That's something about me that I can share that's a tiny little factoid you can remember about me, so I don't just wind up as an absolutely forgettable person with nothing of interest about them!"

And, you also have the gall to try and spam this comic here, where people don't really care about defining their identity and have little need or desire for unfunny, unambitious comics that take absolutely no risks and have not improved in the slighest and might actually be getting worse.

But, that's not you being an iredeemable piece of shit who makes the world a slightly worse place inadvertently. That's just you being a piece of shit who makes the world a slightly worse place inadvertantly. The key word is iredeemable there.

You can get better. It seems you like MTG, which is nice, and wanting to share your passion is good. Going through the trouble of thinking up a comic and making it, even if the end product is just something that looks like one of those countless awful XKCD clones, shows that you've got at least some initiative, and I really want you to take that next step.

Actually try and be funny. You can't really be funny if you don't surprise anyone, and so far all you've managed to do is recycle jokes for small children and slap MTG on top of them.
Work a little harder on your art. It might take time, and you might suck at it for awhile, but at least you'll be respecting the comic as a visual medium, rather than just a toilet for people who can't write.

Take risks, and good luck.
>>
>>45892592
Primary Black, Secondary Red, Tertiary White. What do I win?
>>
>>45893215
A character with at least a base minimum level of personality.
>>
>>45892592
if you need to refer to a card game to inform your character design choices, you're a shit writer.
>>
Currently playing two games. One is Blue. Just blue. The other is a lot trickier, definitely red, but I could argue green and/or white could also fit.
>>
>>45892592
>If you can't tell what color/s your character would be on the MtG color pie
I have literally no idea what the hell that means. Is that like types for pokemon or whatever? I don't play magic.
>>
>>45893919
Worse, because every color has held every effect at some point. We've had direct blue damage, red beefy creatures and green removal.

So, the colors are distinct only at specific points in time. If taken through the history of mtg, they have all been everything at some point, so they are meaningless.
>>
>>45893881

way to twist the question at hand, my smug friend

expertly done, you slimy little faggot
>>
>>45894040

yeah totally, i mean i once drove my truck as fast as a motorcyle on the freeway

that means the distinction between motorcycles and trucks is meaningless
>>
>>45893919
Not a mtg fellow here but afaik colours are like alignment+motivation/emotion

Reds are passion, blues are logic, green is growth, white is law(?), black is death, brown is shit, etc.
>>
>>45894066
It's more like a company builds a truck and insists it's a motorcycle. Then builds a motorcycle and insists it's a sedan. Then, it reassigns definitions as it sees fit later on.
>>
>>45894047
nothing's been twisted. you don't need to refer to magic: the gathering in any capacity when writing a character. you don't need to refer to any card game. or any game.
>>
>>45892592
MtG is literal trash, nobody with taste would be able to successfully answer this.
>>
>>45892592

MTG is the 40K of card games. Shit lore, shit mechanics, overpriced and somehow popular as shit. And now its fans want to stick their shitty game into other things, just like 40k Fans, ignoring the fact that all they accomplish is shitting up multiple things.
>>
>>45894187
Sounds like Dark Souls
>>
>>45894201
>he tried to go to New Londo first
>>
If I were to say me pitched in the MTG multiverse,
Primary
>Red
Secondary
>White
Tertiary
Black

I'm not a nature guy, I'll be going around exiling shit and bolting shit out of my way or just destroy shit because I ain't got time for this kind of shit, also fuck your permanents
>>
>>45894201
Git Gud
>>
Black and White

WWBB

Flying, Vigilance, First Strike

2/2
>>
>>45894221
>>45894242
Case in point
>>
>>45894251
>He'd be a creature
And an incredibly boring and underpowered one at that.
>>
>>45894262

I'm only level 1 right now, and if it's a character it should be a creature
>>
>>45894277
>level 1
???
>>
I'm currently running a game that uses the color pie in place of alignment. It works great in morally ambiguous campaigns.
>>
>>45894303
Maybe he forgot to use the Level Up keyword
>>
>>45894256
>he went to the cemetery and tried to fight the skeletons
>>
>>45894303

I assumed characters in games we were playing. Right now I'd say that's my pathfinder character.
>>
White and Red. He'd fit right in with the Boros legion. Believes ardently in righting wrongs swiftly, and taking the fight to those who would harm the weak.
>>
>>45892592
2/2 black human mystic
Fear
ETB: place a 1/1 black specter token with fear on the battlefield.

(tap) Choose target non-creature artifact. If this artifact has an activated ability, you may use it without paying its activation cost, then sacrifice it and deal 1 damage to target creature
(tap): target nightmare token gains shadow
(tap): target nightmare token loses shadow
--------------------------------

My partymates are:

1/1 black demon cleric

This creature has the skeleton creature type.
Morbid - If a non-skeleton creature died this turn, you may pay (1) and place a 1/1 skeleton with banding on the battlefield under your control

(3, tap): all non-skeleton creatures are dealt 2 damage and all skeletons gain regenerate until end of turn
----------------

A 3/1 red/blue Amphin Alchemist

When your opponent declares blockers, you may pay (2), if you do, all other creatures in combat take 2 damage.

(that freaking splash damage, man)

----------------
And a 3/3 white? Artifact Creature - Monk with doublestrike.

(I know there are colored artifacts, but it feels weird saying that.)
>>
>>45893881
the same also applies for 9 square alignments, no?
>>
>>45895062
ayyup. you can't really categorize people on an individual level.
>>
>>45894326
>not dashing to the cemetery first to loot yourself a zweihander
>>
>If you can't pigeonhole your character into one of five narrow, rigid personality stereotypes, they are a shit character

Am I being rused?
>>
>>45895578
>implying colours are this narrow
>what is multicolour
>>
>>45892592
White/Red
I'm a war cleric, who was a soldier/medic.
>>
>>45893199
This is actually good criticism.

Which will be ignored because it's 4chan levels offensive, but underlying the shittalk is good criticism.
>>
>>45892592
Blue/Red/White splash of Green

Emotional Wizard with a strict sense of right/wrong.
And constantly fighting her primal nature not to be a draconic cocksleeve
>>
>>45892592
Fickle Bloodling

1UBR
1/3 Fairy Illusion

Flash
When Fickle Bloodling enters the battlefield, each player discards two cards. Players lose 2 life for every card discarded this turn.

Madness URB - Gain an emblem that says, "During your draw phase, draw an extra card."
>>
the colorwheel for magic does not work for personality. It is way to limited and superficial to actually say anything about a character. Good luck with having no idea of how writing characters actually works.
>>
File: trust me, I'm a lawyer.png (53 KB, 269x242) Image search: [Google]
trust me, I'm a lawyer.png
53 KB, 269x242
>>45897329
>spoiler
Holy whoa
>>
File: bats reacts.jpg (44 KB, 450x714) Image search: [Google]
bats reacts.jpg
44 KB, 450x714
>>45899359
It's essentially the same problem as D&D alignment.
>Wait, so this guy is all about vengeance? Doesn't that make him red?
>No, see, it's personal vengeance, and he uses fear as a weapon, so he's black. But he has a code he has to follow, so he's black/white.
>But you also mentioned that he's a brilliant detective who uses logic and elaborate plans to foil his enemies. That sounds pretty blue.
>...
>... well, at least he's not green.
>>
>>45892592
>what color/s is your character?
Yes.

I fundamentally disagree with your completely unfounded assumption, by the way, but I answered your question.
>>
>>45895062
yes. if you need a crutch of any kind, you don't know how to write characters.
>>
>>45899830
I mean, blue/white/black sounds pretty batman to me.
and he's a legendary creature, so that complicated a cost isn't unusual.

Though he might just be B/W (I mean, he's a dark knight even, it fits) with a blue paid ability.
>>
>>45894315
Tell us more anon, this actually sounds like an interesting concept.
>>
>>45894097
Kinda.

>White
Is about community, order and justice. At its best its protective of the weak and serves as an inspiring ideal. At its worst it promotes oppressive mediocrity and punishes those who succeeds.

>Blue
Is about knowledge, logic and foresight. At its best it seeks to improve both itself and society. At its worst its cold and uncaring of those who suffer in the name of its research.

>Black
Is about individualism, ambition and power. At its best it embodies the ideals of self-interest and the ability to best judge how to live their own lives. At its worst it's traitorus and ruthless in its hunt for more power.

>Red
Is about emotions, freedom and passion. At its best it's about artistry and following your dreams. At its worst it's destructive and uncontrollable.

>Green
Is about nature, instincts and growth. At its best it's about finding your purpose and doing what you're meant to do. At it's worst it's feral and hateful of civilization.
>>
>>45900347
when's the last time that "at its best" was ever expressed for a black character?

The closest I can even think of is Sorin.
>>
>>45892592
>if you can't pidgonhole your character into these arbitrary categories, you're a shit writer.
Whatever you say, man.
>>
>>45900364
Tetsuo Umezawa I think.
>>
File: ftl48_toshiroSplash.jpg (55 KB, 620x383) Image search: [Google]
ftl48_toshiroSplash.jpg
55 KB, 620x383
>>45900411
No wait, my bad. I was thinking of Toshiro who was the black aligned protagonist of Kamigawa.
>>
>>45895478
Grabbing shit from the cemetery's different than trying to kill the skeletons familia
>>
>>45900347
>Red at their best
What's an example for that? Most of the stuff seems to be the destructive side
>>
>>45900347
>and doing what you're meant to do
This is kinda dubious to say, because it sounds like you're invoking destiny: Fate is telling you there's something you're Meant to Do, an idea that Black usually tries to shirk. They're self-enabled, not fated.
>>
>>45900574
Chandra.
Izzet to an extent
The entertainment industry side of Rakdos.
>>
>>45900347
Let's see....

Hufflepuff
Ravenclaw
Slytherin
Gryffindor (bit of a stretch, but it still fits)
Some mystical unknown 5th house?
>>
>>45900574
Plucky, courageous rebels sticking it to the Man.
>>45900632
Nope. Square pegs, round holes.
>>
>>45900582
>it sounds like you're invoking destiny
I am. Green believes in destiny. That is where its conflict with Blue comes from.
>>
>>45900574
It rarely shows up in the game because the game is about conflict.
>>
>>45900642
Oh, sorry, I thought you were talking about black for some reason
derp
>>
>>45900632
the 5th house is hagrid's shed back behind the school
>>
File: feldon of the third path.jpg (78 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
feldon of the third path.jpg
78 KB, 312x445
>>45900574
>>
>>45893215
A trenchcoat for your character.
>>
>>45899284
>>45897329
>>45895034
>>45893215

Notice how the only people who can actually do this with their characters are playing edgelords.
>>
>>45901033
Not seeing anything particularly edgy about the scalie wizard tbqh senpai
>>
>>45900632
>>45900639
It wouldn't be inaccurate to describe the Hogwarts houses using MtG colors, but they aren't exactly direct equivalencies.

Hufflepuff is pretty whie, though maybe a splash of green given the way the green/white combination tends to play up interdependence and community.

Ravenclaw is pretty much straight blue.

Slytherin is likewise pretty straight black.

Gryffindor is a pretty even mix of red and white.
>>
>>45894142

Oh my bad you're just retarded then

Nobody said anything about NEEDING mtg to create a character

The question is do you know your character well enough, is it fleshed out enough, for you, IF PROMPTED, to say it's mtg color alignment
>>
>>45901138
>The question is do you know your character well enough, is it fleshed out enough, for you, IF PROMPTED, to say it's mtg color alignment
It's accurate to Magic lore to say that most people are actually a mix of all five colors, it's just that planeswalkers usually specialize in one or two at most, use three in exceptional cases, four in none, and five if you're motherfucking Urza.

Therefore, in terms of personality, a fully fleshed out character is just as likely to be accurately described by any one color as they are to be accurately described by a relatively average mix of all of them, which means it's kind of pointless to describe them in those terms. A "fleshed out" character is one with multiple dimensions, e.g., more dimensions than "I want to know lots of things" or "I fight for justice." If you can describe your character accurately as "white," you might have a fully fleshed out character, but you also might not.

I mean, there are loads of characters in fiction who are difficult to type in Magic terms. That doesn't mean they're not fleshed out characters. That would be insane. The connection between character depth and compatibility with Magic lore does not exist.
>>
>>45895478
>Not backstabbing the poison barbarians until you get a Large Club and finishing the game with that.
>>
>>45892592
WURG
W because he's sanctimonious
U because he considers himself clever
R because he's passionate and emotional
G because he likes nature.
Not B because he's racist.
>>
File: Pinkerton.jpg (21 KB, 300x298) Image search: [Google]
Pinkerton.jpg
21 KB, 300x298
Beleaguered Detective
2UW
3/1
First strike
Whenever this creature destroys another in combat put a +1/+1 counter on this creature.

If this creature has three or more +1/+1 counters flip this card

"I'll find the truth, even if it kills me!"

Union Agent
Blue & Black
4/3
First strike, Vigilance
Whenever this creature deals damage to another player, draw a card.
"Information is a commodity I cannot afford to give freely."

Criticism?
>>
>>45892592
My four recurring characters :
>UR
>WU
>RG
>UB
>>
>>45892592
Most recent is WG, with the more feral side of G, next most recent is straight black
>>
>>45901138
and my point is if you think that's a useful or interesting question to ask about a character, you have no business criticizing anyone, about anything.
>>
>>45902239
>Whenever this creature destroys another in combat put a +1/+1 counter on this creature.
That's a black mechanic. In terms of mechanics there is nothing blue about this card. In terms of advanced flavor-mechanic meshing, this card is most effectively used as a blocker, which means he's mostly going to be staying put. That doesn't exactly fit the flavor of a seeker as it has in other cards flavored as spies, which usually have some form of evasion or advantage for attacking, like the flip side of this card does.

On the other side, black usually only gets first strike in rare cases, but I can't actually think of a black card that gets vigilance at all. I think it might actually make sense to swap their colors and abilities: White side gets Vigilance and draw on combat damage to player, Black side loses vigilance and gains vampire counters.
Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.