[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Assuming that you agree with Star Wars being a fantasy story
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1
File: filename.jpg (24 KB, 550x416) Image search: [Google]
filename.jpg
24 KB, 550x416
Assuming that you agree with Star Wars being a fantasy story in a scifi trapping, wouldn't you say the same about Dune?
>>
>jihadists
>people banning self-aware computers
>tons of political bullshit
>women-power movement / sect
>corporation monopolizing vital services
sound modern-day to me, fampai
>>
No.

People call Star Wars Science Fantasy because it is your basic fantasy story in space complete with magic and knights.

Dune has fantastical elements to be sure but also has a complex and thought out world with plausible science.
>>
>>45885518
Yeah, why not?

I mean, it's science is about as hard as pudding, and there's a fair bit of mysticism and psychic randomness tossed in.

I don't really see how reclassifying it would change anything though.
>>
>>45885597
You see, I can't take the science of Dune seriously at all and have to treat it as fantasy when I read it, because even if everything else was perfectly reasonable (which it's not), the fact that the stillsuits violate the laws of thermodynamics bothers me immensely.

I don't let it ruin the book for me, but it's the one thing which means I can't take it seriously.
>>
>>45885692
>stillsuits violate the laws of thermodynamics
Wait, how? They're made to preserve / recycle water, I don't recall anything about them doing with heat.
>>
>>45885518
Yes I would.
>>
>>45885518
Naw.
>>
>>45885597
>plausible science
>Dune

lol spice
>>
>>45885718
When you sweat you're shedding heat by evaporation. When you put on a stillsuit, suddenly you're in a closed system,which is NOT shedding heat by evaporation, but is not supplying another cooling method.

At night, and possibly inside, this might not be a problem, since you can radiate heat, but out in the desert during the day you'd need a complex cooling system.

Like I said, it's not a huge issue, but since I literally work with heat transfer equations every day, it bothers me too much to take the book seriously.
>>
>>45885692
>>45885858
Plausible meaning internally consistent.

Mass Effect has literal space magic but it's based on physics (in their universe) and it's usage remains consistent. Dune is the same way.

Star Wars is not.
>>
>Actually believing there's a distinction between science fiction and fantasy.

It's all fantasy.
>>
>>45885872
There could be some salts/chemicals slowly reacting to absorb heat. Stillsuits aren't meant to be worn months at a time.
>>
>>45885906

>implying Parable of the Sower is not present day with slightly worse living condition
>>
>>45885872
Wouldn't that be solved by not letting your body soak heat from the outside in the first place? If the stillsuit is made of (hypothetical) perfect heat insulator separating inside and outside, even outdoors wouldn't be an issue, right?
>>
>>45885906
By modern parlance the meaning of the two words is terribly warped.

>Fantasy = swords and magic
>Sci-Fi = not fantasy

If you want to be really technical, I would argue that what is REALLY science fiction would not be fantasy, as I would define Fantasy as something that could not possibly be true, whereas I would describe science fiction as something that is not true, but necessarily could be. There's the whole philosophical argument about a deterministic reality making the latter definition of science fiction moot, but when you delve that far you quickly realize why most people adopt the modern definitions.
>>
>>45885996

you'd still produce heat by yourself
>>
>>45886030
That amount of heat can be managed by even relatively weak passive cooling system.
>>
>>45886081
passive cooling implies exchanging heat with something else. Fuck, any cooling just transmits heat from something to something else.
>>
>>45885937
Oh yes, chemical heat reservoirs or an electrical cooling system would both work (though I would pay everything I own for a system that good).

It's just the fact that it's not addressed that bothers me.

>>45885996
The thought of a perfect heat insulator that's also WEARABLE is practically the holy grail for some of us...

Seriously.
>>
>>45885518
so assuming I consider the premise true would that mean I assume the premise true a second time?

you need to work on your logic
>>
>>45886208
well to be fair, it is set x + 10,000 years into the future
someone might have found the holy grail material in that time

after all Dune is filled with extremely advanced materials and inventions used as mundane utility what's one more piece of super-cloth, heck due to Leto II's fuckery at one point in that universe you have horse drawn anti-gravity carts
>>
>>45885597
This guy has it mostly right, but the plausible science is actually irrelevant to what makes something science fiction. Almost all science fiction has contrivances somewhere it's causal coherency that are big enough to effectively make it indistinguishable from umysterious magic.

Star Wars is just the monomyth with a futuristic aesthetic. That's why people call it science fantasy - it's a narrative paradigm that is generally considered the property of the fantasy genre.

Dune is an exploration of intertwined ecology, economy, and politics in an interstellar society. It has drama and everything, it has heroes, but it's not about heroes as much as it is about the entire world and how that world functions. It's a much different paradigm than the monomyth, and it's a kind of complex exploration that is usually considered to be in the science fiction genre.
>>
Whether something is sci-fi or fantasy seems to depend entirely on the audience's knowledge of science.
All science fiction eventually becomes fantasy.

In this day and age "actual sci-fi" is extremely hard to find because at least a couple people in every audience will be able to poke holes in it.
>>
>>45885897
But anon, mass effect is just bioware not being able to make star wars games any more. It comes complete with magic knights, tentacled space sluts, and space battles fought by plucky human pilots against invincible death machines at ludicrously close ranges
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.