[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Post and Judge Questionable Ideas
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: 1457407874304.jpg (25 KB, 300x377) Image search: [Google]
1457407874304.jpg
25 KB, 300x377
>party rolls poor but not atrociously at a knowledge(nature) check
>give them info for a similar creature instead
>only do this half the time so they don't catch on immediately
Yea or Nay?
>>
>>45875143
Yeah I like it. Like confusing the poisonous one with the not poisonous one for example?
Alternativel, you could get some of it right but others bits blatantly wrong
"Yeah that praying mantis isn't going to try to hurt us. (True)
But only if it's female, the male's have a quite potent poison that some tribes use to tip blowdarts with (Not even close)"
>>
>>45875143
>these lizards can breath a potent flame, very devastating

>but the big fucker over there shoots blood out of his eyes mid-flight, metal.

Wait.
>>
>>45875143
>tell players the creature attacks with acid
>they prepare accordingly
>it attacks with fire
>"oh, that's actually another similar creature"
That GM detected.
>>
One of the characters casted featherfall in high winds and jumped off a cliff. The wind carried him miles into the sea. Featherfall effect doesnt say if the character is affected by wind as actual feather or not. Yay or nay?
>>
>>45875433

Maybe if your player purchased the spell at a bargain price or you roll to see if he flubbed the casting somehow
>>
>>45875433
Miles is a bit far. How high was this cliff?
Otherwise fine, as long as Featherfall's duration holds.
>>
>>45875433
>Featherfall effect doesnt say if the character is affected by wind as actual feather or not

The effect of featherfall is that is affects the speed at which you fall. They would still be subjected to wind as normal, not as a lightweight feather.

That's like saying "Bull's strength doesn't specify whether or not you become a bull to have its strength, so you become a bull."

If there was a gust of strong wind they would of course be knocked off course, and being in the air longer means they stray further, but they would never travel "miles" unless they were jumping from so high up that featherfall would wear off before they touched the ground and they would reach terminal velocity and die if they didn't recast it. But several hundred feet is reasonable.
>>
>>45875433
As long as it isn't near certain death, that could lead them to interesting places. I'd try it, but tread carefully.

>>45875376
Well you could just tell the players "You -THINK - it does X" and show them early on that gut feeling =/= absolute truth. For example, mistaking a constrictor as venemous or a giant plains scorpion as a misplaced giant desert scorpion. Poorly inspected wild berries could give someone the shits, leading them to the woods and into sight of a plot hook like an overturned wagon or temple. Or it might just make them miss a random camp ambush. The players would have to learn not to trust low rolls as absolute truths all the damn time just because they yielded results. Not every mistake is save-or-die.
>>
>>45875485
I like this. Like it turns out to be a potion of feather-weight or something.
>>
>>45875143
yaa, gomen gomen
>>
File: best guy.png (5 KB, 86x200) Image search: [Google]
best guy.png
5 KB, 86x200
>>45876094
I'll knife you
you little bitch
>>
For the Big Finale of my campaign I'm going to make a situation in which someone has to go diffuse the magic doomsday device. Whoever goes to diffuse it will HAVE to die in the resulting explosion, but of course be rewarded with everlasting glory.
(My players are a Monk, Fighter, Succubus who I need to kill, and a Bard. So no pally to jump at the offer)

I plan to have an NPC that the players are fond of with them at the time. The players will know that whoever goes to diffuse the bomb will be walking to their end. They will also know that whoever goes to diffuse the device may not succeed if they are alone.
I don't know how it will go down.

While I'm on the subject, I have a player who's character defies all logic at every turn and almost gets the party killed every session. This fucking succubus just attacks everyone or verbally berates everyone, even friendly NPC's causing them to become hostile. When the whole party is sneaking through the enemy camp she'll fucking shoot a god damn fireball at an explosive thing just cause she doesn't like it, thus alerting everyone to the party's position. She attacks NPC's that have surrendered and then attacks the NPC's the party was fighting for in the first place. By all rights her character should be dead by now. She is ruining the plot of the campaign for everyone else. I have to destroy her.
>>
>>45876552
Set her up to provoke an enemy she has to take on alone and can't beat, like one of those room mimics full of stuff edgy people like.
>>
>>45875341
I had a pet horned toad when I was a kid that my parents found while they were out doing ranchwork.

It shot my phy-ed teacher in the face. Everyone laughed.
>>
>tech priest tell's sister of battle to wreck a terminal (that's hooked up to a back up gen so it's off grid)
>electrical feed back hits gen the gen alarm sets off as a warning of over charge
>tech priest has only 10% fail rate (fucking full on repair build)
>runs away (he had ample time to fix)
>gen blows
>second alarm goes off as now main gen is fucked
>keeps running
>eventually building is just vaporised from multiple gen blowing

I was like the fuck man you could have fixed it and not be banned from the planet. Usually death but ya know Inquisitor pulling strings got em out of shit.

So would you have fixed the gen?
>>
>Player rolls Sense Motive or similar skill
>Completely botches it
>Give him false information

Is this okay for a GM to do?
>>
>>45876552
>succubus

Paladins are the answer, anon.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.