[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Where is the difference between wisdom and intelligence?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 121
Thread images: 9
File: 151468_CN.jpg (190 KB, 1080x850) Image search: [Google]
151468_CN.jpg
190 KB, 1080x850
Where is the difference between wisdom and intelligence?
>>
>>45874059
Intelligence is knowing tomatoes are fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put them in a fruit salad.
>>
>>45874059
Intelligence is knowing tomatoes are fruit

Wisdom is knowing not to put tomatoes in a fruit salad
>>
>>45874059
Intelligence is knowing tomatoes are a fruit.

Wisdom is knowing not to put tomatoes in a fruit salad.
>>
High INT, low WIS: Sheldon Cooper
High WIS, low INT: Forrest Gump
>>
>>45874059
rtfm
>>
>>45874075
>>45874083
Intelligence is knowing a quote.

Wisdom is knowing that the person saying it isn't explicitly wise.
>>
>>45874059
Intelligence is knowing Frankenstein is not the monster.

Wisdom is knowing that he is.
>>
>>45874164
I like this post.
>>
>>45874059
Intelligence is a measure of reasoning and memory.

Wisdom is a measure of awareness and willpower.

SOURCE: THE FUCKING RULE BOOKS, IDIOT
>>
>>45874075
>>45874083
>>45874101

HIVE MIND!

Also, a tomato based fruit salad would just be salsa.
>>
>>45874267
>>45874101
>>45874075
>>45874083
what's with the reddit today?
>>
>>45874267
Found the bard
>>
File: fran.jpg (65 KB, 466x326) Image search: [Google]
fran.jpg
65 KB, 466x326
>>45874164
>im-fucking-plying
>>
>>45874267
>Also, a tomato based fruit salad would just be salsa.

>High INT and WIS
>>
>>45874115
Sheldon is high Int, low Cha
>>
>>45874285
>reddit boogeyman
>>
>>45874059
understanding and knowing.
>>
>>45874334
He just recently learned about sarcasm.

Low Wis.
>>
>>45874285
>something I don't like means le reddit.

As long as I'm here.
>DM is doing something I don't like means railroading.
>A player doing something I don't like is metagaming
>A person in the group I don't like is That Guy
>A player who puts more effort into character creation than me is a powergamer or a munchkin.
>Anything in the setting slightly different than I expected is Magical Realm.
>A player who spends a lot of time roleplaying is a Mary Sure.

Did I miss any?
>>
>>45874379
>something I don't like means le reddit.
no
but circle-jerking and spouting a several year old joke is reddit

>DM is doing something I don't like means
railroading.
>A player doing something I don't like is metagaming
>A person in the group I don't like is That Guy
>A player who puts more effort into character creation than me is a powergamer or a munchkin.
>Anything in the setting slightly different than I expected is Magical Realm.
>A player who spends a lot of time roleplaying is a Mary Sure.

no to all, stop acting like you don't know exactly the sort of things those phrases refer to
>>
I think, in general

It would be simmilar to 'book smarts' vs 'People/street smarts'
>>
>>45874484
>but circle-jerking and spouting a several year old joke is reddit
Or just shit posting, Like what's been happening on 4chan long before reddit existed.
>>
>>45874484

You literally just described 4chan.
>>
>>45874484
Dude you just described like 90% of this site
>>
>>45874484
>circle jerking and spouting a several year old joke

No, that is literally every single page on 4chan.
>>
>>45874484
Circle jerking and shit posting only jokes is 90% of 4chan.

And I meant all of those in the way people tend to use them because they're buzzwords. Not their intended meaning.
>>
>>45874508
a shitpost and circle-jerking are two kinds of retarded, one is told to fuck off and the other is encouraged by other community members also taking part in the act

>>45874515
>>45874524
>>45874520

kek
>>
File: Soa.jpg (20 KB, 320x239) Image search: [Google]
Soa.jpg
20 KB, 320x239
>>45874059
Pursuit of Knowledge is Int
Pursuit of Understanding is Wis.
Pursuit of Impression is Cha.

Think of it this way. Socrates was neither a skilled politician, artist, nor poet. Yet he was considered the wisest of all men in Greece, because he knew and understood where his limitations where, and how to apply introspection (an integral part of Wis) to himself. Afterall, true wisdom is in knowing that you infact know nothing.
>>
File: faunny.png (167 KB, 870x509) Image search: [Google]
faunny.png
167 KB, 870x509
If Intelligence is "book smarts" and Wisdom is "street smarts," then why are all the "Oh yeah, this subclass is SO CUNNING and can outsmart everyone!" based on Intelligence?

Especially the ones for bards and rogues in 4e and 5e...
>>
>>45874576
Because they read books about the streets.
>>
Low INT high WIS = Cirno
High INT low WIS = Utsuho
>>
>>45874576
I think to outwit everyone you'll probably need a bit of both, like how dancing might require dexterity and charisma, and maybe even strength/constitution
>>
>>45874576
Because to Rogues, knowing and memorizing how to pick a lot of locks and the effects of different poisons is far more relevant to their career than introspection and self-analysis
>>
Intelligence is the speed at which new knowledge is obtained.

Wisdom is the effectiveness of how you apply your knowledge.
>>
>>45874619
But those subclasses/archetypes don't actually need Wisdom, and in fact usually have Wisdom as their dump stat.
>>
Intelligence is used by wizards, wisdom is used by clerics.
>>
>>45874622
But I thought Wisdom was street smarts?
>>
>>45874682
Kiiinda. Its more common sense, discernment, awareness, and understanding of both yourself and your surroundings. While for the more street-savy/under educated this can easily translate to street-smart, it is by far not the only way to express that ability
>>
>>45874682
street smarts is getting enough dex so you don't get shanked in the kidney
>>
IRL, there is no difference. In D&D, WIS is how good your awareness is, INT is the stuff you know
>>
>>45874059
Int: I know this is possible
Wis: I know this is also a bad idea.

Highly intelligent characters who lack wisdom are the stereotypical absent minded professor. Perhaps knowledgeable, certainly smart and able to come up with good solutions to most problems, etc. However they have trouble with realizing what solutions are actually worth attempting, gauging risk vs reward, being alert to the world around them, and anticipating the actions others

Wisdom is of course the reverse, you might not be able to puzzle out advanced machinery, create a complex tactical battle plan, or balance account books in your head, but you'll probably realize that the far too good to be true quest offer is a trap, that building a golem eve smarter than you is a bad idea, or that just because you can doesn't mean that you ever should or that it is appropriate right now.

Thought I'd toss in something more text-y in addition to the more laconic examples.
>>
INT is your ability to learn things that you should know.

WIS is the ability to learn things that you should do.
>>
>>45874893
That's not really true, plenty of really really smart people tend to become obsessed and tunnel vision hard. Maybe even it's the people who are best at that whom we consider the smartest (since they tend to practice an insane amount and are down with specializing to the extreme).

Wisdom in DnD terms is the opposite, staying open to the big picture and remaining aware of your surroundings, as well as having no trouble approaching all (or at least most) sides of an issue before digging into solutions.

Yeah, they go together a lot in real life but them being split apart is common enough that it's been a story telling troupe for centuries.
>>
>>45874059
Intelligence is knowing that Frankenstein is the doctor, not the monster.
Wisdom is knowing that the doctor is the real monster.
>>
INT and WIS shouldn't be attributes to begin with.
A dumb player can't RP a smart person
A smart person can't RP a dumb person
>>
>>45874285
Technically it's tumblr, that copy pasta is from a tumble screen cap.

It's still very apt.
>>
>>45874972
Wisdom and intelligence are synonyms. Some people treat facets of both as only applying to one, but they are the same.
>>
>>45874992
What is 4chan?
>>
Wisdom = lived experience and understanding

Intelligence = the practiced and genetic information processing power of the brain
>>
>>45874972
>as well as having no trouble approaching all (or at least most) sides of an issue before digging into solutions.
DnD wisdom does not address problem solving. It is a quality expected of players and thus not measured by any stat.
>>
>>45874992
>A smart person can't RP a dumb person

That's not true, its what a good portion of us do all the time so people won't ask us questions at work.
>>
>>45875065
A miserable little pile of memes.
But enough talk, have at thee!
>>
>>45875097
You're not as smart as you think you are.
>>
>>45875141
That's the point.
>>
>Intelligence determines how well your character learns and reasons.
>Wisdom describes a character’s willpower, common sense, perception, and intuition.
>While Intelligence represents one’s ability to analyze information, Wisdom represents being in tune with and aware of one’s surroundings.
>>
>>45875110
>Die Memer! You don't belong in this world!
>>
>>45875224
>"It is not by my hand that I am once again being dank. I was re-posted by FAGGOTS, who wished to copy MY pasta!"
>>
>>45874563

Socrates had high Intelligence, as evidenced by the strength of his logical and philosophical propositions.

Socrates had high Wisdom, as evidenced by the depth of his understanding of human nature.

Socrates had high Charisma, as evidenced by the dedicated and numerous followers who listened to him.

Socrates fucked up his Diplomacy roll, as evidenced by being forced to drink poison and fucking die.
>>
>>45875290
Well maybe if he wouldn't have made CON his dump stat like a moron his fort save may have kept him alive.
>>
File: Leanne Deal.png (203 KB, 430x387) Image search: [Google]
Leanne Deal.png
203 KB, 430x387
>>45874059
>Wisdom
Learning from mistakes
>Intelligence
>Learning from other people's mistakes
>>
File: image_0.jpg (46 KB, 220x220) Image search: [Google]
image_0.jpg
46 KB, 220x220
>>45874059
If you don't know then you possess neither
>>
File: YOLO.jpg (425 KB, 1920x1262) Image search: [Google]
YOLO.jpg
425 KB, 1920x1262
>>45875290
>Socrates fucked up his Diplomacy roll
Socrates was stubborn old man that would rather kill himself than admit he was wrong.
>>
>>45874059

intelligence is knowing how to build many different kinds of explosives.

wisdom is having a problem, having only a bomb at your disposal, and knowing what you need to blow up, and in exactly what way, in order to solve it.
>>
>>45875571
Those are both int.

That is literally demolition.
>>
A character's Acumen (Acu) rates their business sense, accounting, and strategic planning. A captain of industry, entrepreneur, or German usually has a good ACU score.

A character's Wit (Wit) rates their low cunning. This stat rates your ability to locate dives, ferret out motives, and survive in the ghetto (siphon gas, remember police schedules, etc.). High WIT is common among thieves, gang bosses, and Irish.
>>
>>45875049
Sort of, but not really. In order to be wise by the most common definition applied to real people you have to possess both knowledge and experience.

It's like the difference between the guy who has graduated and just entered their field, and the guy who has graduated and been in the field for 35 years.
>>
Intelligence is the measure of your knowledge, wisdom is the application of "common" sense and good judgement.

Craft is an Int skill, as it requires knowledge of how to create something using predetermined steps. Profession is a Wis skill, because such skill sets are based mostly on intuition and experience. A Blacksmith (Craft) knows the steps and materials required to build a sword, and while a Cook (Profession) may memorize recipies, he must use his better judgement and the sum of his experience when making a dish of his own design.

If you are still confused, just think of it this way...

>Does this task rely mostly on memorizing and recalling information? (Int)
>Does this task rely on using ones better judgement or common sense in the heat of the moment? (Wis)
>>
File: 1452757984560.jpg (179 KB, 716x960) Image search: [Google]
1452757984560.jpg
179 KB, 716x960
I always thought that intelligence was how intelligent you were

While wisdom was how wise you were.
>>
>>45874164
awesome.
>>
>>45874682
This whole "wisdom = street smarts" thing always struck me as stupid. There's a correlation between the two, but it's not that having high wisdom means you have street smarts. You've gotta have really good instincts and a ton of common sense to survive in an environment where you can learn street smarts. Having high intelligence and low wisdom means you'll probably die before you can learn them, but having low intelligence and high wisdom means you would need longer to learn, so you are statically more likely to die the longer you spend dealing with drug dealers and gang members.
>>
>>45876141
This picture was really confusing me for a second.
>>
>>45874059
Intelligence is knowing how to do something, Wisdom is knowing whether or not you should do it.
>>
>>45876513
does that mean you have low int or low wis?
>>
>>45874059
It's the difference between book smarts and being a fast thinker.
>>
>>45876519
I think it was the parents having low both
>>
They're actually exactly the same.

Some games pretend they're different qualities, but in reality they aren't.
They achieve difference by perhaps redefining intelligence as academic intelligence or by giving wisdom a spiritual bent.
>>
>>45875438
>Socrates was stubborn old man that would rather kill himself than admit he was wrong.
So Socrates was that guy?
>>
>>45876519
Int to spot it.
Wis to realize it's intentional.
>>
>>45876624
but spot is a wis skill
>>
>>45876874
To recognize what it is then.
>>
>>45874059
Intelligence is knowing how to convince someone that wisdom and intelligence aren't the same.
Wisdom is knowing there was the necessity to differentiate the two abilities in the rulebook rather than a desire to represent clearly different aspects of a person's mind.
>>
>>45876919
What use is recognition if you don't know what you're recognizing?
>>
I'll be honest, I have a huge problem with Wis as a stat, because I don't really think it's as easy to quantify as even charisma or intelligence, and because I think it's a trait better roleplayed than simply statted.

To answer the question, wisdom is in forethought, in self knowledge and a certain level of practicality, where as intelligence lies in creativity, memorization and logic.
>>
>>45876990
I think it's fine as it is in D&D. It has nothing to do with irl wisdom, but is instead associated with how perceptive you are
>>
File: 1457409883073.gif (2 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1457409883073.gif
2 MB, 320x240
>>45874075
>>45874083
>>45874101

the funny thing is that despite this tumbler bullshit its not actually that crazy to put tomatoes in a fruit salad. they are sweet and brightly colored. they would fit right it

you can eat cherry tomatoes like grapes
>>
>>45876933
You don't need high INT or WIS to know what another human is.
>>
>>45877114

You can just munch on a raw carrot, too.
>>
>>45877140
i actually do that too. i eat all my vegetables and fruits raw because im too lazy to cook them. just treat them like chips to grape a handful of and eat throughout the day

even spinach which is "bitter" but not actually bitter enough to matter for anything. especially if you just plop something sweet in your mouth to eat it with
>>
>>45874344
Nah dude this whole thing:
>>45874083
>>45874267
>>45874302
is directly pulled from tumblr, via reddit three days ago. I saw it on imgur that night.
>>
>>45877140
Carrots are delicious.
>>
My favorite has always been:

Intelligence is knowing not to touch the stovetop, because induction will carry the heat through the conductive metals and cause serious cell damage to your hand.

Wisdom is knowing not to touch the stovetop because it hurts.
>>
>>45875438
>I FUCKING TOLD YOU, CAPHES, ONE MORE TIME-- ONE MORE ZEUS-DAMNED TIME YOU BOOP MY BALLS, I'M GOING TO COMMIT SUICIDE AND EVERYBODY'S GOING TO HATE YOU. THAT'S IT, GET ME THE HEMLOCK.
>>
>>45875141
And thus we see how the other axiom, that a dumb person can't play smart, is also false. Ergo, anon is a faggot.
>>
>>45875322
Man you have a critical misunderstanding of how death sentences work, my brother.
>>
>>45875682
>Germans
>high Int

lol
>>
>>45874059
intelligence is smarts
wisdom is street smarts
>>
A good example of a high INT low WIS character would be Einstein.

Dude was smart. Really fucking smart. So god damned smart his name became a synonym with genius.

Dude was also a bit addled, loony, eccentric, or whatever you wanna call it. Absent minded? That's a good one.

The point is he spent so much time running physics equations through his head he paid almost no attention to his surroundings.
>>
>>45874682
Street smarts in the sense of 'not traditional learning' not literally lessons from the street.

It's actually very stupid to live on the streets, fun fact.
>>
>>45874059
Intelligence is knowing which decision is the best
Wisdom is feeling which decision is the best
>>
>>45877340
But the physics equations were the ultimate expression of his awareness of his surroundings. Of all surroundings everywhere really. Einstein's WIS score was actually so high it couldn't be perceived by lesser minds.
>>
>>45874256
But most knowledge checks are Wis based.
>>
>>45877454

In D&D, the Knowledge skill is an Int skill.
>>
>>45877405
Wisdom is gained from setting off the bear trap with your balls after your intelligence told you it was a good idea to try said action.
>>
>>45874059
experience
>>
>>45877482
Which edition? Medicine, religion and nature are all Wis.
>>
>>45874059
Int affects saves vs magical threats
Wis affects saves vs mundane threats

That is all it should be
>>
>>45876141
JESUS FUCKING CHRIST THE PICTURE
WARPED IN FRONT OF MY FUCKING EYES.

WHAT IS THIS FUCKING WIZARD SHIT
>>
Intelligence is knowing, wisdom is understanding.
>>
>>45877524

5e: Arcana, History, Religion, Nature are all Int skills. Medicine is Wis.

4e: Arcana, History, Religion are Int. Nature, Dungeoneering and Heal are Wis. Even split.

3.5e: All 10 Knowledges are Int, Heal is Wis.

So in no edition are most knowledge checks Wis, and in most editions they're primarily Int.
>>
>>45877586
>Not mentioning 4e's streetwise
I miss that skill
>>
>>45877612

That's not knowledge, it's you going out, talking to the right people, listening to the right conversations, and finding everything out.

>>45877553

I think I must be missing something, it looks like a fairly mundane picture with a baby in shitty baby clothes.
>>
>>45877631
It's acquiring knowledge
>>
>>45877631
Look at the man's head and left shoulder, blocking out everything else, and it'll look like an ass. You can use his ear as a focal point
>>
>>45877641

And knowledge checks in D&D aren't checks to find out new knowledge, but checks to see if you already knew something.

>>45877651

Thanks, I was being too anal about searching for some specific oddity.
>>
>>45874484
Do people just not understand what greentext means lately?

The guy was being sarcastic about /tg/ and you felt the need to refute him; Nice example of low WIS though.
>>
>>45877725
Nobody understands greentext anymore. You just need to include "reddit" "tumblr" or "sjw" in a sentence and everyone's brains turn off
>>
>>45874576
Wisdom is not street smarts. That trope is a false dichotomy commonly used by the uneducated to dismiss intelligent people's opinions. It doesn't exist without reason, but street smarts would involve CHA and WIS combined. It doesn't usually yield good results if you try to reduce a complex system to binary.
>>
>>45875075
Your definitions are too solid to get replies. It is also worth pointing out that intelligence is usually defined as a potential but rarely understood that way, while wisdom is a socially defined trait.
>>
>>45877750
Is this where I am supposed to tell you to go back to /pol/? My INT says maybe, but my WIS is telling me no.
>>
Intelligence is knowing the Holocaust happened.

Wisdom is being aware that bringing it up in conversation in modern day Germany is probably not a good idea.
Thread replies: 121
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.