[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Digging through my stack of old MTG rares, haven't played
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1
File: uselessrares.jpg (607 KB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
uselessrares.jpg
607 KB, 3264x2448
Digging through my stack of old MTG rares, haven't played in ages. Why are these cards considered rare? They seem like shit, even by the standards of the old days.
>>
>>45870052
>A: "Hmn, we've finished up all the common cards and all the uncommon cards but we still need to make more rares."
>B: "Vanilla creatures wit p/t 1 lower than their CMCs."
>A: "Uh, okay."
>>
>>45870052
because fuck you thats why
>>
>>45870052
mons goblin raiders was budget fanatic for years.
vizzerdrix and its like was because at the time all bigass blue creatures were rare cheaper bigass creatures was pretty much just a green/red thing really.
>>
>>45870052
Because this was a starter set, not a real set. IIRC, the symbol on every card was gold.
>>
>>45870052
Vizzerdrix actually has a semi-good explanation in that Blue rarely gets big beatsticks. At least back then it was kind of an unusual card that Wizards considered rare-worthy. This ceased to be the case not long after, as dumb high cost beaters simply aren't that special regardless of color.
>>
>>45870424
>the symbol on every card was gold
It is. I have a few cards from the Starter sets and they're like that
>>
>>45870052
Once I caught my brother masturbating to a Vizzerdrix's card.

I fear that he may be gay, and furry.
>>
>>45870424
Ya I remember that, it came with pre-sorted decks and instructions on playing a tutorial game. That was before 2000 if I recall.
>>
yeah, goblin hero was printed at common every time except in the starter set.

other anons have pointed out how the 'drix and the mogg were giant for the day, and in colors that didn't do big stupid creatures that much.

but yeah, old cards tended to be either unbelievably broken or underpowered by modern standards.
>>
>>45871789
>but yeah, old cards tended to be either unbelievably broken or underpowered by modern standards.

I noticed that too, in spire of the immense power creep in MTG there are a small number of cards that are game-breaking levels of strong.
>>
>>45870052
The raiders and hero were printed as rares mistakenly (though they're worthless as every copy was printed that way).

Vizzerdrix and Trained Orgg are shit, but they were the biggest monsters in the shitty starter decks, thus rare.
>>
>>45871994
MTG's power creep is really only in regards to creatures.

They print better creatures now than they did back in the day, but overall, back in the day there were incredibly common spells like Dark Ritual, Brainstorm, Counterspell, Lightning Bolt, and Swords to Plowshares that are strictly better than pretty much anything printed since.

And then, the bomb spells were just unbelievable value. Stuff like Show and Tell, Eureka, Sneak Attack, Channel, Earthcraft, Fastbond, Natural Order, and the like just blow out of the water most of what they're willing to print these days.
>>
>>45870052
Because in the logic of the setting both are Rare ocurrences.
>>
>>45870052
I never really understood this game. I played it a while, but can't you just say 'I don't want you to play that card because it's op/broken, ect and your opponet can't use it?

Why not just print out a card with whatever you want if you're okay with whatever 9/9 creature card somebody bought for $90?
>>
>>45872909
>I don't want you to play the Queen's Gambit because it's OP/broken
>I don't want to play against Messi because he is OP/broken
>I don't want to race against a McLaren because it's OP/broken
>>
>>45872909
>I don't want you to play that card because it's op/broken, ect and your opponet can't use it?

Well, you could if you're a colossal weenie

>Why not just print out a card with whatever you want
Because /tg/ is still full of worse designers than WOTC.
>>
>>45870052
Mons's Goblin Raiders and Goblin Hero were given rare symbols due to a printing error, but were not rares - they just had the symbol.
Vizzerdrix and Trained Orgg were the Big Beatsticks of the starter decks and thus made rares, because blue and red don't get big beatsticks (at least not back then)
>>
>>45870641
And a chub chaser.
>>
>>45870641
There is nothing one cannot masturbate to, if given sufficient time.
>>
>>45873365
Red always had dragons.
Blue has always had some of the biggest creatures but with huge drawbacks.
>>
>>45877382
Red has also always had the 'dragon discount' - a big nasty is cheaper if it's a dragon than if it's any other type, because dragon
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.