[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Battlefleet Gothic Dev Preview
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 9
File: BFG Armada Preview.jpg (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
BFG Armada Preview.jpg
2 MB, 1920x1080
It's fucking happing guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zw5V2O7jQJU

Also, dat Techpriest voice
>>
Guess this is the new BFG thread.

Did that guy still have the links he was preparing?
>>
Beta starts on Thursday for those who have preordered.
>>
>Space Marines DLC free for pre-order, paid for everyone else
Dropped.
>>
File: battlefleet_gothic_armada-04.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
battlefleet_gothic_armada-04.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1080
>>45870713
Free for anyone who buys before or within two months of release.
Do your research properly, please.
>>
>>45870713

The Space Marines are free for anyone who buys the game within MONTHS of release, the pre-order gets you into the beta on top of that.

Besides, these guys are hardly a big-name AAA studio that is rolling in dough and just milking their customers for shits. The devs are a few dozen French guys (if not fewer) who are probably seriously worried if they'll break even after releasing this.
>>
>>45869115
>ze 'eretics
>>
>>45870938
>>45871125
I missed the 2 months window part. That I can support, since it gives plenty of time for reviews and issues with the game to come to light before purchase.
>>
>Alright first of all glory to the Emperor
based frenchman. I'm happy this game exists.
>>
>>45869115
>Cranky John is a 40k fan

huh, wouldn't have figured.
>>
>quicktime updates even interrupt game devs

kek
>>
>2016
>Games Workshop

Stop.
Just stop.
>>
>>45872644
>2016
>implying this isn't a time machine back to 1999
>>
File: 425875.jpg (51 KB, 340x511) Image search: [Google]
425875.jpg
51 KB, 340x511
>>45872278
He continues to surprise me. He says in the video his favorite anime is LotGH.
>>
>>45872644
It ain't GW though. All the recent 40K videogames have been decent at least because it's game studios using GW's IP in better ways than they can.

Looking at Tindalos Interactive's track history they seem competent enough if not fantastic, but importantly they seem to be getting better. They've done a couple of space and strat games so they've got some experience. This is their big break, hopefully they won't mess it up.

>>45869115
>start with a bunch of sub-sectors with various solar systems
>need to defend them to keep the bonuses
>you're just one admiral with one fleet, there are others
>implication is you're fighting a losing battle the whole time

Sounds cool, kind of like Mount & Blade. To make it really work though they'd need to augment that sandbox with "plot missions" or something similar so there's a set end condition. You want to do the sandbox stuff for XP and bonuses so you're in good enough shape to do the plot missions. Hopefully they'll be timed or something though so you can't just grind, it'd kill the suspense and overwhelmed feeling if you can just 1hko Abbadon.
>>
>>45873056
GW gets money from the royalties. Its one of the reasons they're not as deep in the shitter as they should be. Much as I was to support those devs, I don't want to support GW more.
>>
>>45873192
*want
>>
File: frowning it in.jpg (24 KB, 350x168) Image search: [Google]
frowning it in.jpg
24 KB, 350x168
>>45873056

>Tindalos Interactive

Here are a sampling of reviews from their Steam pages;

>"unsupportive devs and a bad community killed this game. Lag and rubberbanding is a major issue that hasn't been fixed for years."

>"Cant wait for steam to implement their refund system, as this game does not deliver a basic playable experience."

>"this game is fundamentally broken, in that 5/6 ground missions I play end in the game crashing"

"I bought the game after i was allowed to download and play it for free for 12 hours, sadly i can only say now i wish i didn't. "
Good luck with that.
>>
>>45873192
Think of it this way. You don't like some aspects of GW's business practices so don't invest in them. If they get emone from leasing out their IP to competent companies then they'll do that more. Companies adapt to the market.

Unless you just don't want to see any more of their IP. DESU senpai I'd prefer games set in Dune or Starship Troopers or any other of the settings 40K is amalgamated from but I take what I can get.

>>45873253
Nice cherry picking
>>
>>45873312

>Nice cherry picking

I did a bit, but all of these comments were included in the first few "most helpful"/highest rated reviews. They don't actually have many non-negative reviews at all.
>>
>>45873372
Critic reviews I looked at were mixed-to-good with lots of "has potential" and "good but never got rolling with its multiplayer community". And their later games tend to be better received. Seems like a good trajectory for a young studio. They've obviously got more experience and resources for BG:A, and if it sinks so will their company.

Its no guarantee it'll be good, but its enough to make me cautiously optimistic.
>>
>>45872715

I regained a bit of respect for him after hearing that. LotGH is a blessed show.

>>45873253
>>45873372

I'll concede that their past release lineup doesn't look cheery, but as >>45873466 pointed out they've at least been on an upward trajectory for the last few years.

That, and an open beta is starting this week which will show if they took criticism from the Alpha to heart, and will allow people to decide for themselves if they want to keep their pre-order or not. And even if you don't cancel before the game comes out, Steam *does* have refunds now so just decide for yourself, no-strings-attached.
>>
File: can't see shit.jpg (6 KB, 173x225) Image search: [Google]
can't see shit.jpg
6 KB, 173x225
>>45873466

>cautiously optimistic.

This is like the GW fan motto.

>"This company has done everything in it's power to take a steaming dump on my chest every couple months for a decade. I am cautiously optimistic that this time will be different."

Just do me a favor. When BG:A ships and is garbage, you'll re-evaluate your loyalties for real.
>>
File: i want to believe - bga.jpg (210 KB, 1131x1600) Image search: [Google]
i want to believe - bga.jpg
210 KB, 1131x1600
>>45873684
I never pre-order anything. Pre-ordering completely fucks the consumer's ability to affect company behavior as I described here >>45873312
>>
>>45873684
>When BG:A ships and is garbage, you'll re-evaluate your loyalties for real.
or he'll just not buy it, because there's a two month window for people to evaluate the quality of the product before committing to a purchase
>>
>>45874094
Or, hell, wait six months, buy it and the DLC on sale. You'll probably save more that way than by getting the DLC for free.
>>
>>45869115
The ship models are amazing, but I'm not really feeling the way the weapons are handled.

The gun batteries firing these large slow-moving "fireball" looking projectiles just doesn't seem right. The projectiles should be faster and less visible, while the torpedoes should have more impressive engine flares and smoke trails to create a greater differentiation between the two.
>>
>>45874608
Don't really disagree. I'd personally be fond of a little random vertical displacement. (Make shooting through ships more plausible, don't even know if you can. In tabletop, you could 'cause it was all abstracted out that Space Is Big and Units Are Variable, and Your Models Are Not To Scale.)

Projectile effects might be fairly easy to get patched though, and it might even be possible to submit that as a suggestion.
>>
>>45874608
>>45874737
I feel like the slow weapon speed is intended - this is space after all, and it's supposed to be 17th century naval battles in spess. At the distances were talking some travel time for non laser weapons is expected. I will agree the weapon effects were the most janky bit, I wish bombs had a travel time and effect, etc, but otherwise it's ok

Also worth noting, those "fireballs" the gun batteries were firing were plasma
>>
>>45874608
The brightness of the fireballs is probably for player convenience more than anything else. You need to be able to tell what's happening at a glance and not pixel hunt for projectiles about to blow you to kingdom come.
>>
>>45872644
Welp. Time to play VtM:B again
>>
Looks amazing, and it seems Tindalos is really putting in effort to make this work. Looking forward to the faction system as well.
>>
>>45869481
Got you covered

>Paper ship icons
https://www.sendspace.com/file/h6zp53

>Boarding action rules
https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/resources/fw_site/fw_pdfs/Warhammer_40000/Zone_Mortalis_Expansion.pdf
>>
God damn this shit looks amazing.
>>
File: yes.gif (1 MB, 326x244) Image search: [Google]
yes.gif
1 MB, 326x244
>>45869115

I was waiting for gameplay before preordering because you don't do that if dev doesn't have release date and the game's supposed to be released next month.

I can finally do it safely, looks fucking greeaatttt
>>
>>45869115
Too bad I can't stand AJ. He's insufferable.
>>
>>45876986
Fortunately it's a mostly a developer-led walkthrough. So while the dude gives the prompts and asks questions, 90% of the time it's the developer talking and explaining things in an adorable french accent.
>>
>>45870938
Well if the game is good, I'll buy it after release then, at least its not as bad as fucking SEGAW is doing.

The game look pretty solid though, it'll be a nice introduction to the TT for a newb like me.
>>
>>45872644
Well if the Death of GW TT will bring good games, I'm all for it.
>>
>>45873668
was the alpha bad?
>>
File: 1262063265684.jpg (30 KB, 386x363) Image search: [Google]
1262063265684.jpg
30 KB, 386x363
>>45869115
Frenchmen laughing in the background as they mess with AJ is some fun stuff.
>>
>>45877733

No, but things go into Alpha's for a reasonl
>>
>>45874946
Cannonballs weren't actually moving though.
>>
>>45878943
Eh, what?
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.