[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dwarf Fortress TTRPG Edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 6
File: wn3idTc.png (184 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
wn3idTc.png
184 KB, 1920x1080
How would you simulate running a dorf fortress on the tabletop?
>>
File: image.png (252 KB, 500x453) Image search: [Google]
image.png
252 KB, 500x453
>>45859129
Have you seen how complicated Dwarf fortress is? Your better off just playing the multiplayer version unless you want to right up the rules on how nerve damage effects each individual finger and toe and the resulting effects on holding and fighting with weapons like swords.
>>
>>45859129
800 page manual, 80% random tables.
>>
>>45859183
Chapters 14&15: Introduction to grappling and basic triginometey tables
>>
>>45859129
>How would you simulate running a dorf fortress on the tabletop?
Use your players to simulate a 32 bit computer that's running dwarf fortress.
>>
With a larp

Which means it would basically become a cult compound and the goblin siege would be ATF
>>
File: 1392154056139.png (246 KB, 830x711) Image search: [Google]
1392154056139.png
246 KB, 830x711
>>45859129
I was gearing up to play a Dwarf Fortress campaign with GURPS a few years ago. My group was playing another campaign at the same time, though, so we never had any sessions.

As for fortress building, I had created a fortress ingame, maphacked to get a map of ores and rocks. Also comes with a world, factions and history/dieties, so it's great.

Drawing out the fortress map would be on paper. A bit more abstracted, like marking a room as 'food stockpile' or 'stone workshops' instead of planning out each tile.
>>
>>45859363
Looking back at my notes, I realize that I crunched all the Dorf Fort skills to fit GURPS skills. I had way too much free time.

I can post it if anyone is interested.
>>
>>45859260
That's the spirit.
>>
>>45859517
Please do.
>>
>>45859517
>>45859530
Note that this has never been playtested

>Mining:
Miner ST/Hard (ST -4) Tunnelling through earth and stone, also, fighting with a pickaxe.

>Woodworking:
Bowyer IQ/Average (IQ -5, Carpenter -5, Wood crafter -5) Crafting bows and crossbows
Carpenter IQ/Average (IQ -5, Bowyer -5, Wood crafter -5) Crafting items and structures out of wood
Wood cutter DX/Average (DX -5, Axedwarf -3) I-I'm a lumberdwarf and I'm okay...

>Stoneworking:
Engraver IQ/Hard (IQ -5, Mason -5, Stone Crafter -5) Smoothing and engraving stone walls
Mason IQ/Average (IQ -5, Stone Crafter -5) Crafting items and structures out of rock

>Ranger:
Ambusher DX/Average (DX -5, IQ -5) Sneaking and stalking prey
Animal dissector IQ/Average (IQ -5, Butcher -5) Butchering and tanning small animals
Animal trainer IQ/Average (IQ -5) Taming and handling wild animals
Tracking Per/Average (Per -5) Finding out who (or what) was walking through your food stores
Trapper IQ/Average (IQ -5) Construction and use of small traps for hunting

>Medicine:
Bone doctor IQ/Average (IQ -5, Surgeon -3) Setting bones and care for broken bones
Crutch-walker DX/Easy (DX -4) Walking in crutches
Diagnostician IQ/Hard (IQ -5) It's not lupus
Surgeon IQ/Very Hard (IQ -5, Bone doctor -8) Invasive medical treatment
Wound dresser IQ/Average (IQ -5, Bone doctor -2) Sewing wounds, stopping bleeding and, drumroll, dressing wounds
>>
>>45859568

>Cooking and Farming:
Beekeeper IQ/Average (IQ -5) It's a buzz
Brewer IQ/Average (IQ -5, Cook -5) One of the finest dwarf professions
Butcher IQ/Average (IQ -5, Cook -5, Animal dissector -5) Urist "Pete" McButcher, loves Alcohol, Kittens and long walks by the magma
Cheese maker IQ/Easy (IQ -5, Cook -5) Cheeeeze, McGromit!
Cook IQ/Average (IQ -5) Preparing meals of all kinds
Dyer IQ/Easy (IQ -5) Colouring cloth like there's no tomorrow
Grower IQ/Average (IQ -5, Herbalist -5) Planting, growing and harvesting plants
Herbalist IQ/Average (IQ -5, Grower -5) Collecting plants in the wilds, identifying plants (Growing can be used to identify common food plants) Also covers processing some plants.
Milker IQ/Easy (IQ -5, Animal trainer -3) Milking animals, make sure you go for the females
Miller DX/Easy (DX -5, IQ -5) Milling items in a millstone
Fabricsdwarf DX/Easy (DX -5, IQ -5, Clothier -5) Shearing wool and spinning thread
Tanner IQ/Easy (IQ -5, Leatherworker -5) Preparing hides into leather

>Fishery:
Fish cleaner IQ/Easy (IQ -5, Cook -3, Butcher -3) Gutting and preparing fish for cooking and eating
Fisherdwarf DX/Average (DX -5, IQ -5) Finding, catching and identifying fish
Swimmer HT/Easy (HT -4) The art of escaping carp territory

>Metalworking:
Armorsmith IQ/Hard (IQ -5, All other smithing -5) Crafting all kinds of metal armor
Wood burner IQ/Easy (IQ -4) Turning wood into coal for use in a furnace
Furnace operator IQ/Average (IQ -5) Smelting ores and items into metal bars, also used to create different alloys
Metal crafter IQ/Average (IQ -5, All other smithing -5) Crafting trade goods and structures out of metal
Blacksmith IQ/Average (IQ -5, All other smithing -5) Crafting furniture out of metal
Weaponsmith IQ/Hard (IQ -5, All other smithing -5) Crafting all kinds of metal weaponry
>>
>>45859578

>Craftsdwarfship:
Bone carver IQ/Easy (IQ -4, Wood crafter -4) Carving goods out of bone
Clothier DX/Average (DX -5, IQ -5, Leatherworker -5) Weaving thread into cloth and crafting clothes
Glassmaker DX/Average (DX -5, IQ -5) Creating all kinds of glass items
Jewellery IQ/Hard (IQ -5) Cutting and setting gems in crafts
Leatherworker DX/Average (DX -5, IQ -5, Clothier -5) Crafting items out of leather
Potter DX/Easy (DX -5, IQ -5) Crafting all kinds of ceramics
Stone crafter DX/Average (DX -5, IQ -5, Mason -5, Engraver -5) Crafting trade goods out of stone
Strand extractor IQ/Very Hard (IQ -8, Furnace operator -8) Extracting strands of Adamantium from Adamantium ore
Wood crafter DX/Easy (DX -4, IQ -4, Carpenter -4, Bowyer -4, Bone carver -4) Crafting trade goods out of wood

>Engineering:
Mechanic IQ/Hard (IQ -5, Stone crafter -5) Crafting stone mechanisms and constructing various traps, drawbridges and more
Pump operator HT/Easy (HT -4) Fancy name for someone forced to pump fluids all day
Siege engineer IQ/Hard (IQ -5, Mechanic -5) Construct and assemble siege weapons
Siege operator IQ/Average (IQ -5, Siege engineer -4, Mechanic -4) Operate, aim and fire siege weapons

>Administration:
Appraiser IQ/Average (IQ -5, Appropriate craft skill -5) Appraising the trade value of items
Building designer IQ/Hard (IQ -5) Designing and overseeing building constructions
Organizer IQ/Average (IQ -5) Managing larger fortresses and passing out large numbers of orders
Record keeper IQ/Average (IQ -5) Keeping track of the fortress's wares
>>
>>45859593
>Military:
>>General:
Dodger DX/Average (DX -6) Your dodge equal your ranks in this skill /2 +3
Shield user DX/Easy (DX -4) Your block value equals your skill /2 +3
Wrestler DX/Average You can grab and pin enemies with the higher of DX or wrestler. Add +1 to your ST when making or resisting grappels for each rank you buy (Maximum +3)
>>Weapons:
Axedwarf DX/Average (DX -5, Hammer-/Macedwarf -3, Wood cutter -3) Like chopping wood, but with more footwork
Hammerdwarf DX/Average (DX -5, Axe-/Macedwarf -3) Hitting people in the head 101
Macedwarf DX/Average (DX -5, Axe-/Hammerdwarf -3) Hitting people in the head 102: Spiked things
Blowgunner DX/Average (DX -5) Nasty, goblintype weaponry
Thrower DX/Average (DX -3) Throwing things, don't underestimate it
Bowdwarf DX/Average (DX -5, Crossbowdwarf -5) Nasty, elventype weaponry
Crossbowdwarf DX/Easy (DX -4, Bowdwarf -4) Hitting people in the head 103: From all the way over here
Lasher DX/Average (DX -5) Slavedriver's favourite
Misc. object user DX/Easy (DX -3) Slave's favourite
Speardwarf DX/Average (DX -5) Pointed sticks
Knife user DX/Average (DX -5, Swordsdwarf -3) You call that a sword?
Swordsdwarf DX/Average (DX -5, Knife user -3) Now THIS is a sword!
>>Training:
Leader IQ/Average (IQ -5) Getting people to hit enemies in the head against their better judgement
Teacher IQ/Average (IQ -5) Teaching people to hit people in the head 101
>>
File: 2cat.png (194 KB, 428x237) Image search: [Google]
2cat.png
194 KB, 428x237
>>45859607
>Social Skills:
Comedian IQ/Average (IQ -4, Other Social Skills -4) ... and then he said, "That's no carp, that's me' wife!". Get it? "Carp"?
Conversationalist IQ/Average (IQ -4, Other Social Skills -4) Now what about these evil rains?
Flatterer IQ/Average (IQ -4, Other Social Skills -4) Why thank you!
Intimidator Will/Average (Will - 4, IQ - 4, Other Social Skills -4) The art of looming while beeing 5' tall
Judge of intent Per/Average (Per -4, IQ - 4, Other Social Skills -4) Finding out who is going to crack next is important
Liar IQ/Average (IQ -4, Other Social Skills -4) What adamantium sword? I never saw one... *whistles*
Negotiator IQ/Average (IQ -4, Other Social Skills -4) Getting the most vale from your work, and the most work from your dwarves
Pacifier IQ/Average (IQ -4, Other Social Skills -4) Shoosh, shoosh, pap, pap... Now let go of Urist's throat...
AAAaaand done.
>>
File: 1394168458983.jpg (21 KB, 400x285) Image search: [Google]
1394168458983.jpg
21 KB, 400x285
>>45859627
Generally based on the Heroic Skill system or what they called it. Skill groups and such.

I think the example in the book is having a skill named 'Gunslinger', which covers all of shooting, maintenance, trick shooting, knowledge(guns), etc.

So each of these skills covers most anything related to the field, just like it does ingame
>>
>>45859171
>Dwarf Fortress
>Multiplayer

Did I miss something?
>>
>>45859129
Find an RPG with a robust injury system, preferably one that doesn't use hitpoints or at least for which hp are a fallback to wound-based incapacitation. Fantasy is better, less work to do and better guidelines.

Homebrew the world: Dorfs, Humans, Elves, and Goblins have the social and physical traits attributed to them in DF. Good and Evil terrain. Caverns/Magma Sea/HFS.

You are now ready for Adventure mode.
>>
>>45859803
As far as I know there are two ways of doing it. First is to simply pass around a saved game, second though is basically to link a few computers together with another program and then you can basically have multiple people each inputting controls into a single instance of dwarf fort. Basically though the second version is like having a group of people each with their own keyboard all trying to play dwarf fortress together on a single computer. Neither are really optimal for multiplayer and I think that it would actually be easier to just have one person playing while talking to other people and the group deciding on what you are doing.
>>
>>45860247

Ah, ok. I'm familiar with round-robin/Boatmurdered style of play. I guess you could turn that second idea into an amusing multiplayer/drinking fest with pals by having people either vote or roll for decision making.
>>
>>45859129
Paranoia. With dwarves.
>>
>>45861712
>players are a council of dwarfs voting on what to do; the controller switches with someone every hour
>every time a dwarf dies, drink some beer
>every time a dwarf goes into a strange mood, drink some beer
>every time migrants arrive, drink some beer for every migrant
>every time those migrants are shit and worthless, drink your entire glass
>>
>>45859129

Just watch an ant farm.
>>
>>45859129
>make random tables for ores / events
>draw parts of fortress every month
>make it big enough to be used as a map for your miniatures
>every year, goblin siege
>goblin sieges = turn based combat with miniatures
seems the easiest way, random tables with types of ores and events which may have small combat or roleplaying tips for a player.
>player taking a random event card doesn't show the other players what it says

what do you think about it?
>>
>>45862750
>every time migrants arrive, drink some beer for every migrant
>every time those migrants are shit and worthless, drink your entire glass

You'd die of alcohol poisoning before the second caravan.
>>
>>45863953
>dying of alcohol poisoning
What are ye, some kind of pasny poofter fahken elf?
>>
>>45863914
>each player draws a part of fortress with a different goal in mind
I like it
>>
>>45859129
Rune Quest, straight up.

It's got hit locations, armour coverage is by area and directly ablates damage, it's deadly, and players can permanently lose limbs, and It's an easy enough system to hack since it's basically BRP.
>>
>>45864048
Oh, wait, you meant "A" dwarf fortress, not just a game in the. . . "setting".
>>
>>45864037
I'd prefer
>Every time a noble is appointed introduce a new player to/have an existing player take the mantle of the dept. they run.
So you wouldn't have a meltdown (as DF as that would be) trying to run a million things at once because FUCKING DAVE STOLE MY LEGENDARY CRAFTSDWARF FOR HIS SHITTY QUARTER OF THE FORT, FUCK YOU DAVE
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>45864174
one player could be a traitor who digs too deep and too greedily and his winning conditions are to mine one place on the board to release circus; other players will get suspicious if you dig in one direction during your turn though
>>
>>45864474
>DF board game
>goal is to carve out a fortress and make it pretty, unearth ores, or to have -FUN-
>three types of players; architects, miners, and delvers.
>former gets points for constructing aesthetic and efficient rooms, with bonus points for spending the time to carve statues and engrave walls
>miners get points for mining the most ore, with no regard to fortress design; bonus points for smelting ore, but this requires cooperation with the architect (who may not build one, despite it being worth lots of points, to deny points to the miner)
>delver gets no points at all, and rather wins the game if they unearth -FUN-, the other two lose automatically. if the delver doesn't find -FUN- by the time the game is over, he loses.
>>
>>45864601
>players have 12 turns each to simulate each month before winter and goblin siege ending the game
>>
>>45860247
Now I want to try to make a "Twitch Plays Dwarf Fortress adventure mode" I predict lots and lots of death.
>>
>>45859129
Give your players hammers and say "every so often i will tell one of you to hit your hand as hard as possible" and then proceed to keep telling all of them to pummel their paddles until they are pulp and puss.
>>
>>45864601
>each player has a secret goal to achieve
>pump magma to surface
>access hidden fun stuff
>kill 10 dwarves in accidents
>accumulate x wealth
>mine all types of ores
>>
>>45864667
>all players are allowed to mine, engrave, and sculpt
>all their roles are secret at the start of the game
>each player can remove nD6 blocks per turn, or sculpt/engrave kD6 blocks
>engraved blocks cannot be mined
>architects are scored based on how many blocks have been removed overall by all players, plus the number of carvings or engravings they made, plus the volume of the largest open rectangular prism
>miners are scored based on the value of all the ores and gems they mined
>delvers win if they find -FUN-
>miners try to beat the architects by being as efficient as possible with their mining; using zigzagging tunnels and mining only valuable ore
>architects try to beat the miners by removing mass chunks of earth at once and engraving them
>delvers try to pretend to be both architects and miners, since the value of engravings is dependent on their substrate
>adamantium is the most valuable
>adamantium is anywheres from 2 to 5 blocks deep
>>
>>45864851
>hidden roles: miner, architect, delver
>public roles, assigned randomly

>prospector job
>can secretly check other blocks for ores and stuff
>can lie about them to others to achieve his goal

>noble job
>can forbid one player one type of action for a season
>can mandate one player one type of action for a season

>moody dwarf job
>once per game/2 seasons can get inspired to perform 2x actions of their choice

we can make this game happen
>>
>>45859129
Now i wonder how would you fit a dwarf fortress adventurer into dnd...(remember adventurer in dwrf fortress and dnd adventuring are two very diffrent things.)
>>
>>45865049
Sorta like puerto rico?
>>
>>45865049
No, no, better idea. Every player at the start of the game as X number of tokens, let's say 18.

The number of dice they roll to mine blocks is equal to the number of tokens they have, minus the number of other players, to a minimum of 1. The number of dice they roll to engrave blocks is half that amount, to a minimum of 1.

They can spend tokens to use their public role ability, such as:

Prospector: spend one token to reveal all blocks in a 5x5x5 area
Noble: spend one token to cause a player to roll two less dice than they normally would, to a minimum of 1
Moody Dwarf: spend one token to triple the number of dice rolled, but roll half as many dice the next turn.
Mason: spend one token to double the sum of dice rolled to engrave

So, in a game of 6 people, each player would start off rolling 12 d6's at the start, and would hit 1 dice per turn by the end of the game if they used just one token per turn (although they can use any number of tokens per turn).
>>
>when you have an idea and its top of the catalog
Based /tg/

More interested in running an adventure more rpg with players.
Someone mentioned Runic Quest, are there other systems that would work well with the concepts in the game?

What do I do if I have a player that wants to play an elf
>>
File: 1442222394297.jpg (194 KB, 803x996) Image search: [Google]
1442222394297.jpg
194 KB, 803x996
>>45859171
>Have you seen how complicated Dwarf fortress is?

I don't think having a few d100 charts to deal with all that shit will be too hard.
Maybe there will be a way to simplify it, I'm sure that /tg/ could come up with a 3d6 roll or so that covered all the bases on damage.

Really the difficulty in making a Dwarf Fortress tabletop is answering the question:
"What else can a player do outside of combat besides skill checks"

And I think that's something you could do a lot easier with the concept of settling down in a specific area to create a living, breathing industry instead of wandering around your DM's carefully premade areas of interest wading through combats.
>>
>>45859129
More abstraction (which kinda ruins the experience). Probably do it as a role-selection game with the roles being

>Book keeper
>Broker
>Expedition Leader
>Chief Medical Dwarf
>Hammerer
>Manager
>Militia Commander

I'd be inclined to run players vs. players vs. board, with the players competing to become King but trying to avoid the Fortress Falling.
>>
>>45865690
Have the Elf raised by Dwarves and think he's a Dwarf. Hilarity should follow.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.