[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
You have a job, /tg/ The startup game company you are working
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4
File: AdvOfSinbad_S1_CAN.jpg (56 KB, 500x701) Image search: [Google]
AdvOfSinbad_S1_CAN.jpg
56 KB, 500x701
You have a job, /tg/

The startup game company you are working for is looking to publish a new TCG. The mechanics are fully developed and playtested and they work like a dream. It plays like the kind of game you wish Magic: the Gathering could be.
The problem is that there is no way the game can break into a market dominated by established brands like Magic and Hearthstone...

...Unless, they buy the license to publish the game under some existing brand.
That's where you come in.

It is your job to select some existing media, be it a movie, book, TV series, comic, whatever, to get made into a TCG. The catch is that you do not have an unlimited budget for this. In fact, the company has a rather tight budget for this being a young startup and all. You can't purchase the rights to make a new Marvel or Star Wars TCG. You might be able to buy the rights to a 90's syndicated TV show or maybe~ an 80's cartoon/toyline that hasn't been rebooted yet.
You can also use public domain IP. However, you boss has given you instructions to avoid Cthulhu mythos and Conan the Barbarian, since that stuff is kind of played out now.

What do you choose?
>>
Berserk
>>
File: Stargate.jpg (94 KB, 960x900) Image search: [Google]
Stargate.jpg
94 KB, 960x900
>>45852439
Stargate.
>>
>>45852439
Dungeons and Dragons. As fucking simple as it sounds, you can make any kind of narrative sets, any kind of mechanics, any kind of cards
>>
>>45852469
>>45852552
/thread
>>
>>45852469
>>45852552
Both of those would be really freakin' cool.

>>45852577
I don't think WotC is going to sell you the rights to make a TCG based on one of their most beloved products so you can compete with their more profitable product.
>>
>>45852439
Barsoom.
>>
>>45852552
>>45852579
>>45852642
There was a stargate TCG, and it failed horribly.
>>
>>45852960
Fuck yes, Barsoom

I also propose Redwall.
>>
>>45853733
Yeah, that was back in the way where everything had a TCG.
X-Files had a short-lived TCG too.

>>45854058
Hell yes.
>>
>>45852439
I'd just love to see one of these done well as ANY kind of /tg/ game
Anime:
Outlaw star
Gundam (particularly Iron-blooded Orphans)

Live TV:
Firefly
Sense8
Justified

Comic books:
DMZ
The Question
Phonogram

Web comics:
Gone with the Blastwave
Paranatural
Stand still. Stay Silent.
>>
Couple of thoughts: Use the Anachronism/Typical Japanese mobage/card game mode and base it on historical figures/different religious pantheons.

I don't know if it'd be better to have gender-flipped versions or just say fuck it and make waifus rare as shit. I think if the TCG is going to be a digital format going full waifu is the best route, but if your trying to compete versus Magic with paper probably playing it straight is better.

The pantheon mix would be better if you want a better male to female ratio, coupled with easy as hell expansion road map. Historical figures could go with well known leaders (a la Civilization) or you could just go famous generals. Generals would definitely kill the waifu market though.
>>
GI Joe
>>
>>45852439
Hellboy, Shadowrun or Dark Souls if there's enough budget.
Maybe Mouse Guard.
>>
>>45852439
He-Man. The amount of MYAA inside your flgs would skyrocket, everytime a Skeletor player does something.
>>
>>45857720
Tight budget, remember. None of those things are things from 90s or 80s old stuff that can be licensed cheaply.
>>
>>45855874
I'm pretty sure there's a Gundam card game in Japan. Along with Gundam kids toys, video games, board games, adult toys, themepark and simulators.
>>
File: cardhuterreview1.png (2 MB, 1440x810) Image search: [Google]
cardhuterreview1.png
2 MB, 1440x810
>>45852439
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.