[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How the hell do you convert AD&D characters to pathfinder?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (46 KB, 300x414) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
46 KB, 300x414
How the hell do you convert AD&D characters to pathfinder? All the players in my group are adamant they want to switch over to 3.5 and I don't know how to convert the characters over. I'm having trouble with:
>EXP and levels being different.
>Racial adjustments
>Stat generation Re-do for rolled characters.
>How to effectively teach (and learn) 3.5 when its feels like herding cats with a sponge.
>Spell slots and such are all fucked up.
>Skills and feats are going to be a bitch.
>One of the players is stubborn as a mule so teaching him is going to be a horrible experience.
Any help is welcome.
>>
>>45849237
>Pathfinder
Convert the players in your group to dead ones instead.
>>
>>45849280
>I cant help, only wine
>>
>>45849280
No. The donated books we have are for 3.5 and not pathfinder. "Donated" meaning my friend got them at a yard sale for $3 each which includes one copy of the player's manual, the dungeon master's guide, and the monster manual.
>>
>>45849237
Brother, you're better off restarting/re-rolling characters, imo.
>>
>>45849237
>10/10 movie
>0/10 systems
Learn to game system as hard as you movie, OP.
>>
>>45849355
In my experience, unless you are converting people from something like the ffg star wars games to another in the line, where everything with like 2 rule updates, just make new character until you can effectively rebuild them in the new system.

Also, having one of the stubborn jackasses in my group, tell him to suck it up or just ignore him until he realizes that the change is happening no matter what he wants. Our mule thinks that any and all games not gurps 3e is a waste of time and will wait till the day of to try and scratch together a character for the game.
>>
>>45849237

Big Motherfuckin' Crab Truckers?
>>
>>45849237
Well, there's an AD&D 2e to 3e guide floating around, then a 3e to 3.5 guide, and also a 3.5 to PF guide. I know all these things exist, but quite naturally I have none of them on hand.
>>
>>45849456
My mule is different. He has to think about EVERYTHING and takes three times as long as the fighter to take his turn, even if there's literally only one thing that can be done. Example:
>Fighting a troll
>His remaining spell slots are a casting of magic missile and burning hands.
>He is currently too far away to run up to the troll
>Takes 3 minutes to decide "I shoot some magic missile at him".
>>
>>45849237
Concepts and character information/history, not "has this because he was that class".

If the entirety of what they did and why and how was defined by what class they were in AD&D then you shouldn't convert them.
>>
>>45849408
>thinking that's a 10/10 movie
Pretentious crap for the pretentious shitposter. Classy.
>>
>>45849237
Drop your players. Their taste is trash.
>>
>>45853496
Not an option. They're my only source of Pen and paper RPG action in the middle of bumfuck nowhere, Montana.
>>
Just take the same character concepts and try to have them rebuild them for the new system. Don't bother trying to "convert" them over.
>>
>>45849237
just rebuild the characters in 3.5
the amount of effort you'd put into faithfully converting their 2e stats to 3.5e stats would be wasted, because it just isnt important
most D&D games fall apart before too long (not saying why, it just happens)
the system is actually pretty simple and easy, really you just need to read the books, thats it
get your players to understand that in 3.5, you want to hit where your enemy is weak, and avoid enemies who are strong against you (fighting a lion at 3rd level? stay out of melee or have a damn good anti-grapple modifier)
one of the best rules ive ever implemented at the table is 10-second turns; once you say "anon, it's your turn", they have 10 seconds to *decide* what to do (not counting figuring out math or moving a miniature)

people on here like to shit on that rule because on paper it sounds harsh, but in practice, you'll be spending so much time every turn on some thing or another that everybody will have a few minutes on average to decide what to do on their turn
>>
File: conversionbook.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
conversionbook.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>45849498
>>
>>45853427
>An opinion not aligned entirely with my own? Better call them a classless shitposter to asert my dominece as alpha on this anonymous image board!
>>
Just take the character concepts and personalities and make a character around that in 3.5e, re-making everything from the ground up.
>>
your fuckup was that you were playing a great system and your players want to swtich to the second shittiest one after FATAL
>>
>>45858290
>Great system
>Doesn't have a single lick of mechanical customization available except for which spells you prepare that day (which a level 1 wizard has exactly one of).
Yeah, AD&D was pretty shit. 3.5e is better.
>>
>>45849237
any advice on movies similar to rubber.

Little known amazing gems?
>>
>>45849355
Yes...and you drag the little shit into the street and shoot him in the back of the head.

It's the only way, and you won't even be convicted. No judge would. It's a mercy kill. Your '''''friend''''' is terminally retarded.

Do the whole world a favor.
>>
I'd love to see the look on their faces if you just do a level to level conversion.

Though it might work out better than expected if the magic user(s) are lower level than say, the fighter and the rogue.
>>
>>45858414
The only thing 3.P customization does is create tons of trap options for players who don't read splatbooks.
>>
>>45858414
Most people "customized" their character through play and description.
>your equipment
>your allies and contacts
>unique abilities fluffed out between you and the DM

I played plenty of 3.x back in the day and didn't have much trouble with the usual memes (like "caster edition"), but most of the "customization" amounted to millions of greebly combinations of "fighty guy with spells", "magic guy with niche gimmick", "sneaky guy who's a bit more fighty than the regular sneaky guy".

And of course, this
>>45862359
>>
>>45853427
Just say you didn't get it, no one will laugh at you.
>>
>>45858516
Maybe "Primer"?
>>
File: 1451028388213.png (440 KB, 540x756) Image search: [Google]
1451028388213.png
440 KB, 540x756
>>45849237
OP, I need more information to answer your questions. What races and levels are your AD&D PCs?

You don't need to re-do the stat generation unless you really want to; rolled characters are allowed in 3.5.

3.5 is not that different from AD&D. What particular questions do your players have? I recall switching from AD&D to 3.5 with no trouble at all.
>>
File: Branded_US_film_poster.jpg (56 KB, 270x400) Image search: [Google]
Branded_US_film_poster.jpg
56 KB, 270x400
>>45858516
Branded is not a comedy, but it's just as weird.
>>
>>45858516

You might like Schizopolis and/or Southland Tales.
>>
>>45849237

>How to effectively teach (and learn) 3.5 when its feels like herding cats with a sponge.

You should probably start with some lvl1 charaters in a pregen adventure first to learn the ropes.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.