[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, /tg/, I am under some existencial crisis. I like trading
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 2
File: TCG.jpg (302 KB, 1200x819) Image search: [Google]
TCG.jpg
302 KB, 1200x819
So, /tg/, I am under some existencial crisis.

I like trading card games. Or at least, I like playing them. But trading card games are far more than just playing decks. Here are my issues.

>Metagame changes. Most TCGs imply you must adapt to metagames, and the sole fact a set gets released makes the meta change and you immediately gotta change your deck or buy those few cards you need. I can't adapt to this easily.
>Testing. I always test test test and when I actually play the deck I feel uncomfortable playing it or the deck is straight subpar because I cannot invest enough for a good deck.
>Playing. Sometimes I just play in automatic mode. This is, I don't really think many things, misplay a LOT, and may miss even the most obvious of moves.

I recently moved to this city, and there are two TCG stores. I would love playing something to meet people (I have no friends here), but TCGs, even when they're the obvious move, are damn difficult for me.

What do I do? I feel enormously conflicted now.
>>
>>45849194
Get a job so you can afford good cards and adopting to the changing meta.
Don't worry about the third point, most top-tier decks are autopilot anyway.
>>
>>45849194
Play Limited formats where you sit down, open packs and build the deck. MtG expansions are designed with Limited and Standard primarily in mind these days (allegedly), and most fundamental precepts and skills you hold in Limited are usually transferrable between expansions. Your deck is always new so you don't have the time to goldfish and wonder during play if you played as well as you goldfished.
>>
File: images.duckduckgo.com.png (156 KB, 430x600) Image search: [Google]
images.duckduckgo.com.png
156 KB, 430x600
>>45849194
Play a living card game like Android: Netrunner instead.
You buy complete sets of cards for a small cost, there is no real secondary market. The complete base game is $35 MSRP, but $25 through most retailers.

here's an explaination of android netrunner: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAslVfZ9p-Y
>>
>>45849245
Getting a job for point 1 is not the issue. It's the fact I gotta adapt in the first place. Because it means retesting, and sometimes my deck can become obsolete. Not to say sometimes my deck is limited to 1 year because the format is going to rotate and many cards will be banned.

The third point, you've got a point. Autopilot decks are the way to go.

>>45849275
Basically prerelease and sealed deck formats right?

>>45849352
I've heard about LCGs, they could work! I just gotta see what LCGs are played here... Thank you for that insight.
>>
>>45849372
There's always Draft too, which introduces an additional skill to the game beyond "ooh, this'd look good in the deck!".
>>
>>45849459
That sounds like a nice format.

My *only* issue is that draft formats, sealed decks, and the like, tend to be more expensive than constructed formats.

See, I currently have Pokemon cards, but most of these are from the last rotation and my deck wasn't even good. I used to have an okayish deck until my friends went full "oooh change your deck to learn to play more stuff!" and ended up with a subpar deck.

And holy shit sorry for taking so long, I've been multitasking!! I will try going to a prerelease or a draft tournament if the chance is given, thank you!
>>
>>45849275
>MtG expansions are designed with Limited and Standard primarily in mind these days
they are designed with wizards pockets in mind plain and simple, if they can make money they do it limited and standard are buy more product, and buy the new product respectively. not that its a bad thing but don't ever sugar coat it.
>>
what about try some of The Spoils?
>>
>>45849194
there's plenty of good card games out there OP. just pick your poison and enjoy.

here for example I enjoy with some friends Doomtown reloaded and before someone mentions it.

>AEG in general

Look we just want to enjoy the game without thinking in the upcomming dark future the game will suffer.

also here there it was this time where also people played Dice masters but the public at the end got absorved by other weeb games and now I'm the only loser who still collects this things (since that day also I hate elevens card games with passion)
>>
>>45849194
Honestly the game I play (DBZ) has pretty much the same meta as it did when it started- Ginyu, Krillin, and Piccolo. Other decks have popped up but they've more or less done the same thing as those three. I admit I need to get caught up on the newest set that just came out (judging a tournament next weekend) but I have absolutely NO doubt that the meta is still:
Ginyu.
Krillin.
Piccolo.

The point being that there's some games that change more than others. Some require you to get completely new decks when a set comes out like Yugioh, others MAYBE a card or two (like Modern in MTG). There's a whole range of them out there. It's just a matter of finding a game and format you enjoy.
>>
>>45849194
>>45857554
(Oh! I forgot to address difficulty too, sorry. It's 4am)

Likewise there's a wide range of difficulties as well. Most get simpler as you play though which helps, they just vary in learning curves. Once you get the hang of it, the rest gets simpler (Honestly, when I build a deck, I don't have to playtest TOO much- I already know how to play and how the games are gonna go. It's just a matter of practice until you get to that point)
>>
>>45849194
Your post reminds me of the Codex pitch. It directly addresses those issues.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sirlin/codex-2/description
>>
>>45856608
>>45857554
>>45856450
>>45857578
>>45857695
My available poisons are: Magic, Pokémon, Yu-Gi-Oh!, Weiss Schwartz, Fate of Will, Vanguard, and Myths and Legends. The former three aren't really cheap games, especially Pokémon which requires readapting every 3 or 4 months because of new sets. The following three? No idea, I really need to know what's in for these. The last one is cheap as hell, made by people who know what they're doing, and I've been considering it.
>>
>>45858389
>Myths and Legends
are you a Chicano or a Hueon?
>>
>>45860017
The latter.
>>
>>45860332
wena. from where?
>>
>>45860342
Quinta Región.
>>
>>45860457
first region. what a shame. I've would have liked to meet ya and play some TCGs.
>>
>>45851279
The cost of drafting is sometimes overstated. Where I'm from, it's at most ~$15 for a Magic the Gathering draft, which is comparable to going to a movie at night or having a few drinks. However, if you win or open valuable cards, drafts sometimes have the opportunity to pay for themselves.
>>
>>45860602 #
Ugh, I moved from there not too long ago. There's a chance we know each other, too.
>>
>>45860714
That's something I must always consider, sometimes drafting helps a lot. I just wonder how much I'll have to wait for a draft or a sealed deck tournament...
>>
>>45858389
YGO is cheap right now because of Monarchs but they probably will get hit by the next banlist
>>
>>45860788
If they're that unstable it's not worth playing it. I don't want to assemble a deck that will die by the next banlist - I prefer something I can take my sweet time getting used to.
>>
>>45860715
eh I don't really think so. I mean unless you came here by some gods-knows-why reason I don't think is possible to meet each other.

but hey at least you are near of stgo (where all the good stuff happens) unlike here in this dusty and small as shit town where all the players either play YGO, Magic or I don't know what other japanese wank-fest and new games are ignored by everyone!!1
>>
>>45860824
Then avoid YGO unless you play petdecks then cry when Jewnami fucks your deck too with the banlist anyway
>>
>>45860847
I lived in Iquique for the longest time (several years). And given that shithole is so small, there's a chance we have met before indeed. And, people do play pokemon. In that one store. You know which one I'm talking about.

>>45860859
Avoided like the pest, then!
>>
>>45857554
Where the hell do you live that enough people play that game that there are tournaments?
>>
>>45860903
Kako are you talking isn't?
yeah. and now there this people playing Vanguard (and I get ignored. again.)
>>
>>45861802
Yeah. Him. Sadly there aren't other places to play it either.

I think some people do bring Vanguard, at least I do remember seeing it once or twice. I don't know how Vanguard compares to other games.
>>
>>45861950
people do play Vanguard in this "new" but small as shit place a few squares from where INK is. this shop is somewhat more interested into bring new games and stuff. the bads is that for each time a new game is presentesd it gets forgotten no long after.

it happened before with at least 2 games who I was attached to.

danm fuckers. I can bet my ass and all inside of it that if someone dares to bring FoW it will become a success just because it has kagüai girls as creatures and "heroes"
>>
>>45862019
Wait where is it located? I totally lost track after INK moved near Lider.
>>
>>45862033
INK is just at right of UTA.
this "new" shop is at the exit of Lider. passing the Vet shop found in "Las Rosas"
>>
>>45862153
Wait what? So this wasn't INK? Now I'm confused, but at least I'm glad INK doesn't have the monopoly anymore.
>>
>>45862178
this place calls it self "Zona X gamers"

INK is pretty much at side of McDonals and UTA.

yeah is a good thing, at least some variety in this dusty town. bad thing its fanbase have now settled and they do not try anything else apart of their own TCGs
>>
>>45862254
I probably checked on it. How's the environment there?
>>
>>45862569
small. reaaaaaly small. but at least there's variety of games (and lots of sweets).

I don't know what to say about the people who often this place, is pretty much your regular meeting place for manchildrens just like us. there's a time where people even spend some moments to play Heroclix.
>>
>>45862663
Is it at least better than INK? Despite the size, of course.
>>
>>45862811
at least the owner is not a jerk in front of you. I give you that. even if you're interested enough in a game he can make an effort and bring the stuff to sell there. the bad thing is that he relies to much in Devir, if he can't found it in Devir forget about the game you're asking for him, it doesn't exists.
>>
>>45851279
Yeah drafting is always a great way to get started. Also keep an eye out for draft bulk that other players dont want. Theyll usually just give it to you if you ask.
>>
>>45862885
The shopkeeper not being a jerk is definitely better, and I wouldn't mind not relying on Devir. Sadly, I'm not in Iquique anymore... Funny enough, there are two stores, one Devir-based and one otherwise, in the downtown of Viña, too.

>>45862907
Give me an example, please? I'm not well versed in draft tournaments at all.
>>
>>45863181
I wouldn't mind relying* whoops my bad.
>>
>>45849352
Do you still have to buy 2 of each box to get full playsets of cards?
>>
>>45863235
no, you have to buy 2 core boxes and the rest of expansions do all come with 4 copies of all the cards in that release. (I know it because is the same for all the other LCGs minus aGoT 2.0 and their new rule of have 3 CORE BOXES)
>>
>>45863181
>I'm not well versed in draft tournaments at all.
is that you never went to a magic pre-release event?
is pretty easy. the shop gives you X boosters and this those boosters you have to build a functional deck out of that.
>>
>>45863580
I've never played MtG. Or any other card game besides pokemon.
>>
well chilean fella I hope to see you someday if I have the balls to even get close of Stgo. until then I hope you to see you still lurking /tg/.
>>
I just went to two stores to check on what they had. One suggested me to play more stable MtG formats, such as Legacy, and Weiss Schwarz for a more stable game where I don't have to change my strategies much.

The other suggested me to go play often. To get used to strategies by playing several times a week so that I can get used to my cards before they get banned

What's /tg/ input on this?

>>45864547
I hope to see you there as well. I don't know if I'll go to Santiago but I'll try.
>>
>>45866448
speaking of magic. did any of the stores you visited alowed to start a pauper league or something?

if you don't know Pauper is a magic format where only commons and little uncommons are allowed to be used in decks
>>
>>45866980
I've got no idea on that. Although I heard absolutely nothing about that so I kinda assume there isn't any.
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.